Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury II - February 22nd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭1wizards sleeve

Draw
    Lads it's safe to say ye won't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

walshb wrote: »
    Ok, so people changing from Fury in fight 1 to Wilder in fight 2...does this strike you as fair/logical, or biased/illogical?

Its certainly not logical, how could it be, backing wilder in the first i could understand as fury was still out of shape but to go against him again has no logic, how can you not see that. Fury said it if he couldn't beat me back then how could he beat me now. I will take furys opinion overs yours, no offence. Turns out fury was right and not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,979 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Draw
    iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Its certainly not logical, how could it be, backing wilder in the first i could understand as fury was still out of shape but to go against him again has no logic, how can you not see that. Fury said it if he couldn't beat me back then how could he beat me now. I will take fuys opinion overs yours, no offence.

Right, so...

At least I stuck to my guns both fights. Fight 1 I thought he would be knocked out. The middle and end fight 1 told me that he would be in danger again in fight 2..Hence my pick for fight 2.

I am sure others here felt the same..

I know one very regular and knowledgeable poster, who is a Fury fan, changed his pick...yourdeadright!

I would call his change absolutely possible/logical/reasoned..

Right, so...

At least I stuck to my guns both fights. Fight 1 I thought he would be knocked out. The middle and end fight 1 told me that he would be in danger again in fight 2..Hence my pick for fight 2.

I am sure others here felt the same..

I know one very regular and knowledgeable poster, who is a Fury fan, changed his pick...yourdeadright!

I would call his chance absolutely possible/logical/reasoned..

Look we wont agree, we will leave it at that, its a message board, difference of opinion is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Dunston

I had a feeling someone would come back on this..And I get your points.

AJ is inconsistent on the inside, but when he gets it right he is deceivingly effective, and gets off hard shots in close..

I think Fury uses his body better inside, but AJ can land the harder and more damaging punches inside..

How, by the way is Fury’s chin proven? He was dropped by a innocuous punch in fight 1, then dropped heavy for 10-11seconds later on. Plus, past fights he was badly hurt and wobbled...how is the chin proven? Proven to be what?

Its proven because he's never been stopped. It's as simple as that. Not sure how you are not getting it.

• Advertisement

Draw
    Dunston wrote: »
    Its proven because he's never been stopped. It's as simple as that. Not sure how you are not getting it.

You could say that about anyone, until they do get stopped.

It’s futile to dismiss events. Like those I listed...

It seems silly to me that, for example, a fighter who has been dropped, wobbled, almost knocked out, on the canvas for 10-11 seconds would then be considered proven chin wise when he steps in the ring to face a heavy hitter...

To be clear: AJ, up to the Ruiz fight was down and hurt. But got up. I never then said/claimed that his chin was proven. I went the other way. His chin became a question mark for me, and I assume, others...

It still is a question mark. Always will be. No different than Fury..

I can’t see this as being anything but prudent..

And would explain perfectly well why people switched their prediction from Fury to Wilder in fight 2..

They weren’t thinking after fight 1 that now Fury has proven his chin. They were, logically thinking how fragile he is to a clean shot..

You could say that about anyone, until they do get stopped.

It’s futile to dismiss events. Like those I listed...

It seems silly to me that, for example, a fighter who has been dropped, wobbled, almost knocked out, on the canvas for 10-11 seconds would then be considered proven chin wise when he steps in the ring to face a heavy hitter...

To be clear: AJ, up to the Ruiz fight was down and hurt. But got up. I never then said/claimed that his chin was proven. I went the other way. His chin became a question mark for me, and I assume, others...

It still is a question mark. Always will be. No different than Fury..

I can’t see this as being anything but prudent..

We're not talking about anyone. We're talking about someone who has won every world championship belt available in heavy weight boxing. He's earned the right to a proven chin until he does get stopped. I've already outlined his physical weakness in that first fight. Anytime he's been down he's overcome it and doesn't get wobbly legs. He ate a few right hands from wilder last night like a tank.

Draw
    A proven chin is a sturdy solid chin...a boxer who gets tagged hard, and who doesn’t get too affected; not someone who is wobbled and hurt and dropped from innocuous shots..and not just someone who to date has no KO-TKO Lisa..

Wilder. Up to last night had a proven chin? I don’t think he did, and others would say the same. Why would he, for example be different than Fury?

Many had rightful question marks on Wilder’s chin based off Ortiz fight 1 and Fury fight 1..

I would disagree with the claim if it were said about Wilder having a proven chin, same as what’s being claimed about Fury..

A proven chin is a sturdy solid chin...a boxer who gets tagged hard, and who doesn’t get too affected; not someone who is wobbled and hurt and dropped from innocuous shots..and not just someone who to date has no KO-TKO Lisa..

Wilder. Up to last night had a proven chin? I don’t think he did, and others would say the same. Why would he, for example be different than Fury?

Many had rightful question marks on Wilder’s chin based off Ortiz fight 1 and Fury fight 1..

I would disagree with the claim if it were said about Wilder having a proven chin, same as what’s being claimed about Fury..

They were hardly innocuous shots which dropped Fury. One behind the ear and he was tagged cleanly by Wilder in the 12th and got back up to win the round. That shows a sturdy chin in my view even though he was dropped twice. His ability to recover quickly from getting dropped is a big asset. Same against Cunningham.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Furys chin is definitely decent. He took several solid rights from Wilder last night and didnt budge.

Up until last night if anything its his balance that could be questioned.

Anyway it doesnt matter, the best chins in the world are rarely the best boxers in the world (think Oliver McCall or Steve Collins). Having a china chin is a problem but once you have a decent chin you have potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ

Both have proven chins and toughness.

The left hook Fury took from Wilder after getting dropped in the 12th would've iced most fighters. Fury shook it off and won the rest of the round. No other fighter has been able to take Wilder's shots and recuperate like Fury has. If there's question makes over Fury's chin then there's a question mark over any fighter who has ever been wobbled, that's just not fair. You don't fight going forward last night without full confidence in your chin, clear Fury knows he can take a shot.

Wilder leaves himself wide open and constantly takes big shots himself and keeps coming. Only the second time he's ever been dropped last night. For a guy learning on the job he would have been knocked out long before last night if he didn't have a reliable chin. Ortiz is a big puncher. No harm in being wobbled by him.

Out of the three Joshua is the one I have concerns about chin wise. He's got an upright, tight style and sees most shots coming. Been wobbled a lot for a guy with his style and hasn't shown great ability to recover quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Draw
    Set the b*****d alarm and ended up sleeping through it, disgusted...
    Just like Wilder must be today, from what I saw it was over after round 3, if it wasn't eventually stopped Fury would have hurt him, he's an animal.
    American commentry brutal, Wilder was well out of contention and they were still raving on about this big punch that was gonna win it for him.
    Would love to see AJ have a go, couldn't see him beating Fury, too strong, too tricky and the heart of a lion. Any man who had his eye opened up so bad in that previous fight and went on to win is gonna take stopping. Long live the gypsy king.

Draw
    Ok, personally I think both AJ and Fury have shaky chins..

But if we agree that Fury’s is proven, then logically we can argue that so is AJs..

Never been knocked out. Never been on his back for ten seconds. Always got up.

There seems to be a real anti AJ and pro Fury agenda here...

My analysis of both has them neck and neck across all areas...

For objectivity, best to list reasons why both win and lose their potential match..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Set the b*****d alarm and ended up sleeping through it, disgusted...
    Just like Wilder must be today, from what I saw it was over after round 3, if it wasn't eventually stopped Fury would have hurt him, he's an animal.
    American commentry brutal, Wilder was well out of contention and they were still raving on about this big punch that was gonna win it for him.
    Would love to see AJ have a go, couldn't see him beating Fury, too strong, too tricky and the heart of a lion. Any man who had his eye opened up so bad in that previous fight and went on to win is gonna take stopping. Long live the gypsy king.

Same here, but I was lucky enough to wake at 5.10am and made it for the start of the scrap.

Does anyone know when one of the normal BT channels will be reshowing that event?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Just watched the fight there now and can't help but think how a prime Mike Tyson would have knocked these two punks on their ass in round 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I thought Wilder would win with a knock-out and am delighted to be wrong. There was also talk of problems in Fury’s training camp which proved to be wide of the mark. The fight reminded me a little of Holmes-Cooney in that the big puncher was stopped in his tracks by a better boxer. Fury is one of a kind, with his height, something other than a classically chiseled physique and all that herky-jerky bobbing around, an odd and elusive target. I’ve no idea what would happen with AJ as he would probably land more punches than Wilder managed and Lord knows how Fury would train before such a fight.

I can’t help liking Fury. There’s a humility to him, and honesty too. Let’s hope he retires while he’s still on top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭str8talkingguy

Ikozma wrote: »
    Just watched the fight there now and can't help but think how a prime Mike Tyson would have knocked these two punks on their ass in round 1

Theres a reason Tyson avoided Lennox for years he knew he would never get inside the reach of a tall quality boxer like Lewis.

Fury is almost a foot taller and and is a very agile guy for his size a nightmare matchup for Mike Tyson.Mike Tyson would have zero chance to beat the Tyson we seen last night and most previous greats would struggle with such a monster that Moves and Boxes so well,its unheard of to be so big and so agile.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,134 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Your going against the law of averages.
    What's this law of averages you refer to?

Mellor wrote: »
    What's this law of averages you refer to?

Turn of phrase i would use. Statistical principle whatever your having yourself.

Turn of phrase i would use. Statistical principle whatever your having yourself.

Phrasing isn't important, I'd just say statistics for simplicity.
    How is he going against a statistical principle by not picking Fury?

• Advertisement

Phrasing isn't important, I'd just say statistics for simplicity.
    How is he going against a statistical principle by not picking Fury?

Man i finished that argument hours ago its messing up the thread so im not going into it again. I dont care if you agree or not. I never said statistical principles i was talking about btw. 2 horse race at some stage both horses will win when evenly matched.

Man i finished that argument hours ago its messing up the thread so im not going into it again. I dont care if you agree or not. I never said statistical principles i was talking about btw. 2 horse race at some stage both horses will win when evenly matched.
    You said law of average, then statistically principles. Neither of which make any sense.
    Yes, in a 2 horse, evenly matched race, both will win an equal amount over a large sample. 3 matches is not a large sample. Its statistically tiny.

Flip a coin 3 times and there's a 1 in 8 chance of getting heads 3 times. That's not that unlikely to occur. Given the amount of people who picked against Fury, there's likely 20 people who would have picked against him 3 out of 3. Walshb isn't a statistical outlier. No more than I am for picking Fury in each of those matches.

You said law of average, then statistically principles. Neither of which make any sense.
    Yes, in a 2 horse, evenly matched race, both will win an equal amount over a large sample. 3 matches is not a large sample. Its statistically tiny.

Flip a coin 3 times and there's a 1 in 8 chance of getting heads 3 times. That's not that unlikely to occur. Given the amount of people who picked against Fury, there's likely 20 people who would have picked against him 3 out of 3. Walshb isn't a statistical outlier. No more than I am for picking Fury in each of those matches.[/QUOTE

I never said he was statistical outlier, you are taking my phrase and running with it, i said he was biased against fury. This is ruining the thread, its only an opinion, if you dont agree i dont care neither should you or walshb care about mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

Knew Fury would win won a right few bob as was 100% convinced he would win.

The commentary was shocking this political correctness is gone mad. OK have a woman commentating but at least get someone who knows what they are talking about.

She was saying oh Wilder is getting the right hand ready when he was leaning up against the ropes to support himself!.

Shockingly crap and biased commentary.

Also the ref docking Fury a point for what?!?!

Trying to keep Wilder in it?.

The ref was also shocking.

Screaming his head off stop stop every 10 seconds.

What ever happened to professionalism and decorum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Joshua was gifted a gold medal Savon clearly beat him and got robbed. Boxing wise Fury is miles ahead of him, footwork, jab, head movement, stamina all in Fury's favor. Joshua is a more technically sound fighter than Wilder but unlike Wilder he doesn't need to only land one bomb, Wilder hits harder no doubt in my mind. I also think another factor is Fury has had to do it the hard way, Went to Germany to beat Wlad, comes back after being a 28 stone mess goes to America and god knows how get's up in the 12th round before being robbed on the cards. He then goes and rematches Wilder in America again and batters him, having the belief to change trainers and fighting style to do it.

In contrast Joshua has had everything his own way since the day he turned pro, Won a bull**** title from the worst HW champion of all time Charles Martin, fights Klitschko at home and goes life and death and got stopped by a solid but nothing special fighter in Andy Ruiz. Everything to date suggests only one winner and that's Fury. Joshua is a solid fighter but a massive element of smoke and mirrors, he's a Frank Bruno level fighter, Fury is a Lennox Lewis. If the shoe was on the other foot nobody would be saying Joshua wasn't the best HW in the world, Fury clearly is no 1, he took the belts from Wlad and smashed Wilder, Joshua done nothing close to that.

I never said he was statistical outlier, you are taking my phrase and running with it, i said he was biased against fury.
    I’m not talking about whether or not he is bias. I don’t care if he is or not.
    You said he was going against the law if averages. I’m asking that is suppose to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,035 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I don't think we'll see Wilder again. He'd basically need to move to LA and spend at least two years working every day with Freddie Roach to get near the level he'd need to stand any chance against Fury. And by then, Fury will almost certainly be retired. So if Wilder won't be competing for titles, and doesn't need the money, I reckon he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Draw
    Knew Fury would win won a right few bob as was 100% convinced he would win.

you ****ing knew , musta had the mortgage on it fair play tya

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I don't think we'll see Wilder again. He'd basically need to move to LA and spend at least two years working every day with Freddie Roach to get near the level he'd need to stand any chance against Fury. And by then, Fury will almost certainly be retired. So if Wilder won't be competing for titles, and doesn't need the money, I reckon he's done.

This is based on absolutely nothing? Arm chair posts like this are hard to read whenever there’s a big fight. Only the heavyweight fights seem to attract this crowd to the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Draw
    Neil3030 wrote: »

He will be back no doubt,

Look Fury was the better man no doubt but a guy like Wilder can still knock anyone out,
    If like he said and his leg was messed up before the fight he will use that motivation and a reason as to why Fury beat him , he will also say he never quit it was his corner,

Your not a champion for that amount of time without having toughness , He'll take the rematch

Advertisement