Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury II - February 22nd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Ikozma wrote: »
    Yea but just because he moves well for a big man doesn't mean he actually moves well

Except he does. His foot work is very good. He also showed a good enough chin in this rematch, despite what some will have you believe. The only reservation i would have is a better boxer than Wilder might have made him pay for those lunges, and caught
    him with a good combination on the way in.
    If AJ has got over the Ruiz beating, he could be more of a threat to Fury than Wilder.
    Wilder showed he was a limited boxer against Ortiz in their rematch, he had to rely on his opponent fading to land the ko. A top level fighter at his peak will nearly always expose a hard hitter who just can't box very well.. As Megadodge said you could see this about Wilder from some time back when he struggled for six rounds against Arthur Spitzika(?) So Fury winning was no great surprise, just the manner in which he did it. I wonder is Walshb full after eating his humble pie?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Draw
    I went to get served humble pie, but was turned away; as my prediction was wrong, but my tactics for Fury to win were spot on...

Deep down I knew Fury, if he really wanted to earn the win, would...

yourdeadright was served two helpings, because not only did he get the prediction wrong, but he tried to discourage Fury from being aggressively committed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    US2 wrote: »
    Eddie Hearn is on Ariel Helwanis MMA show this evening. Live on YouTube from 6

Can't stand that smug ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

US2 wrote: »
    Eddie Hearn is on Ariel Helwanis MMA show this evening. Live on YouTube from 6

Thanks for the warning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭squinn2912

walshb wrote: »
    I went to get served humble pie, but was turned away; as my prediction was wrong, but my tactics for Fury to win were spot on...

yourdeadright was served two helpings, because not only did he get the prediction wrong, but he tried to discourage Fury from being aggressively committed!!

Hahahaha I love this! You’re as bad as the endless rematch clauses, never wrong!

To add my bit to the debate I think Fury AJ is a real toss up. Both have numerous ways to win the fight. The very same tactics from Fury would be what I’d advise but I don’t see them being as effective against a guy of 18 stone or more.
    Both can be got at and no one has the chin to take a big hw shot. They can both score a ko. Both have question marks over mentality. It’s a fight where a mistake will be costly. I’d be tipping Fury but I’d be concerned. I’m a Fury fan and that’s been evident for years. There are no guarantees he’d fight as well or that aj couldn’t counter his tactics. Very hard to call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This is based on absolutely nothing? Arm chair posts like this are hard to read whenever there’s a big fight. Only the heavyweight fights seem to attract this crowd to the forum.

Thanks for the warm welcome, I got here as quickly as I could after the fight. Slight delay due to traffic, apologies.

Based on various connected factors. Fury set the blueprint for how a top (heavier) heavyweight can beat Wilder. Wilder should not expect to get the same respect for his power that he's been used to in the future, as better fighters will look to get close, occupy his right, overpower him, rough him up, exhaust him.

Since Wilder's power primarily comes from freakish physiology, simply adding further weight will not come without a cost to his main weapon. He needs to instead add head movement, foot work and properly develop his left. Basically all the things he never needed while opponents gave his right hand so much respect. Top opponents would need to see that he has more tools, allowing him to control fights again. Is Jay Deas the man to do this? Wilder showed no progression at all under his coaching team since December 2018. This is why I say a minimum of 2 years in the Wild Card (or somewhere like it) is what he needs.

So all that in mind, and with Wilder now being a 34 year old with an extra ~$40m in the bank, living in a fairly cheap part of the world, no longer needing the money, I would not be surprised if we never see him again. He could of course continue to take fights against a lower tier of opponent, but what's the point?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Thanks for the warm welcome, I got here as quickly as I could after the fight. Slight delay due to traffic, apologies.

Based on various connected factors. Fury set the blueprint for how a top (heavier) heavyweight can beat Wilder. Wilder should not expect to get the same respect for his power that he's been used to in the future, as better fighters will look to get close, occupy his right, overpower him, rough him up, exhaust him.

Since Wilder's power primarily comes from freakish physiology, simply adding further weight will not come without a cost to his main weapon. He needs to instead add head movement, foot work and properly develop his left. Basically all the things he never needed while opponents gave his right hand so much respect. Top opponents would need to see that he has more tools, allowing him to control fights again. Is Jay Deas the man to do this? Wilder showed no progression at all under his coaching team since December 2018. This is why I say a minimum of 2 years in the Wild Card (or somewhere like it) is what he needs.

So all that in mind, and with Wilder now being a 34 year old with an extra ~$40m in the bank, living in a fairly cheap part of the world, no longer needing the money, I would not be surprised if we never see him again. He could of course continue to take fights against a lower tier of opponent, but what's the point?

We will know more in due course. I don’t think he’s done under the lights. If he wants to bow out then he can take the rematch and make a fortune, try some swings and maybe hit the jackpot. That’s a huge return for not much investment. I think he should take it and work on those frailties. Will Fury be as motivated in a rematch?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Draw

yourdeadright was served two helpings, because not only did he get the prediction wrong, but he tried to discourage Fury from being aggressively committed!![/QUOTE

Took me by totally surprise like every one else but enjoyed every minute of it,
    Its one of those fights úd be called a head case for predicting what actually happened, ]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Hahahaha I love this! You’re as bad as the endless rematch clauses, never wrong!

To add my bit to the debate I think Fury AJ is a real toss up. Both have numerous ways to win the fight. The very same tactics from Fury would be what I’d advise but I don’t see them being as effective against a guy of 18 stone or more.
    Both can be got at and no one has the chin to take a big hw shot. They can both score a ko. Both have question marks over mentality. It’s a fight where a mistake will be costly. I’d be tipping Fury but I’d be concerned. I’m a Fury fan and that’s been evident for years. There are no guarantees he’d fight as well or that aj couldn’t counter his tactics. Very hard to call.

Fury has a much better engine than AJ IMO.
    The pace he fought at the other night woud tire AJ out very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Fury has a much better engine than AJ IMO.
    The pace he fought at the other night woud tire AJ out very quickly.
    In saying that he was blowing very hard after round six.As you say he fought at a hell of a pace constantly on the front foot. I reckon he would have been out on his feet by round ten. He was probably pretty confident the fight would be done and dusted by then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Andy lee on the radio this morning saying fury took 2 clean punches in the first and didnt budge, that had to of discouraged wilder and made fury even more confident of his tactics.
    “I still do [think Wilder is the hardest punching heavyweight]. It hasn’t changed off the strength of that, but maybe Tyson Fury’s chin is one of the best ever,” said Haye.

Draw
    I’d like to see clips of the clean Wilder shots that landed...

How clean were they? How heavy did they look...?

I must look for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Draw
    I see Wilder missus posted on Instagram talking of a trilogy so take it the rematch is on

Yeah it didnt look that flush on viewing but a few pundits have said they were pretty clean. Doubt they were ko punches but fury didn't take a backward step after them.

I see Wilder missus posted on Instagram talking of a trilogy so take it the rematch is on

1 round with her id be happy man.

Pighead wrote: »
    In saying that he was blowing very hard after round six.As you say he fought at a hell of a pace constantly on the front foot. I reckon he would have been out on his feet by round ten. He was probably pretty confident the fight would be done and dusted by then.

He was not blowing as hard as Deontay

Draw
    Fury for me looked like he was only getting warmed up after 6 rds..fit as fook!

Fury for me looked like he was only getting warmed up after 6 rds..fit as fook!

Something in the genes idsay, some them big traveller lads on youtube be fighting for hours ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    I’d like to see clips of the clean Wilder shots that landed...

How clean were they? How heavy did they look...?

I must look for them..

You’ll hardly find them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fury via KO/TKO/DQ
    Wilder definitely caught him with one proper right hand and Fury didn't blink.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Wilder definitely caught him with one proper right hand and Fury didn't blink.

Think his eye marked up nicely after that.

fury chisora thread is funny looking back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,006 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

iebamm2580 wrote: »

Speak for yourself!
    Aye, maybe Lee (who I think is his cousin?) will put in a word for him in the Kronk, get him sparring with the big men ;)

I'm off to buy some lotto tickets!

Draw
    iebamm2580 wrote: »

Indeed...

And ironically it is me who was more praising of Fury than anyone..

Even if my prediction was wrong....😅

Indeed...

And ironically it is me who was more praising of Fury than anyone..

Even if my prediction was wrong....😅

Yes you did give him praise but your going to have start backing him win yourself a few quid, his odds going to be **** from mow on though.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Speak for yourself!

I'm off to buy some lotto tickets!

ha fair play, daroxtar had it right when he said what will he be like when hes 30.

Draw

This is called objective and reasoned...

Debating it from all angles. Giving reasons for win/loss for both men...

Like I said, beats the pathetic substanceless’ one liners, like “Fury beats him easily.”

Pighead wrote: »

I posted the same observation during the fight. Difference was he could easily tie wilder up and get a breather then. Joshua could grapple with him

• Advertisement

I posted the same observation during the fight. Difference was he could easily tie wilder up and get a breather then. Joshua could grapple with him

Kinda missing my point. He could afford to go at it hard because he could see that Wilder was on the point of exhaustion, otherwise one would assume he would have paced himself a bit more.

Advertisement