Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Enniscorthy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Defo, they'll have to up their orders They only open at 9am too, which is a oian. Gonna miss the Lidl half price weekend offers

May even be forced into staffing more than one checkout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

jpb1974 wrote: »
    May even be forced into staffing more than one checkout.

Woah..don't bet on that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Going forward... Ok...

Even when I was typing that,Brian Cowan's accent was in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

On another note...I see just about the whole stretch of "old N11" between Blackstoops and Scarawalsh roundabouts features in the 903 new GoSafe speed camera zones that were announced this week -

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=12WMuELmp-qVvhuq4mu7kmaUx1CAmyHFI&ll=52.52404546362351%2C-6.551594849697153&z=14

A reminder that the speed limit there will be remaining at 80 km/h even if the current proposals to restore the limits to 100 km/h on other stretches of the "old N11" go ahead. To me, putting speed cameras there is real fish in a barrel stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

To me, putting speed cameras there is real fish in a barrel stuff.

Agreed, so why is that section not going to be restored to 100km/h? It's probably the widest of the lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

On another note...I see just about the whole stretch of "old N11" between Blackstoops and Scarawalsh roundabouts features in the 903 new GoSafe speed camera zones that were announced this week -

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=12WMuELmp-qVvhuq4mu7kmaUx1CAmyHFI&ll=52.52404546362351%2C-6.551594849697153&z=14

A reminder that the speed limit there will be remaining at 80 km/h even if the current proposals to restore the limits to 100 km/h on other stretches of the "old N11" go ahead. To me, putting speed cameras there is real fish in a barrel stuff.

Were the by laws ever passed to drop it to 80km or did they just stick up the signs?

arseagon wrote: »
    Agreed, so why is that section not going to be restored to 100km/h? It's probably the widest of the lot.

They say something along the lines of it being with a view to developing that area as an industrial zone, with access onto the "old N11" for businesses who currently have their entrances along the old Dublin road.

Doesn't make sense to me. Particularly nonsensical if you consider traffic going from Bunclody to Enniscorthy. You can drive perfectly legally at 100 km/h all the way to Scarawalsh, but then turn right off the roundabout and onto a much better and safer road for the last few miles into Enniscorthy, and you could get a fine and penalty points for doing just 90. I'd say you can be damn sure that the speed vans will be there regularly.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Were the by laws ever passed to drop it to 80km or did they just stick up the signs?

It didn't take by-laws to do that. The primary legislation is that in cases like that, where a stretch of a national route is bypassed by a new road, that bypassed section automatically reverts to a regional road with the associated 80 km/h limit.

County Council has powers to set by laws to keep the limits at 100 km/h after all if they feel it's appropriate to do so, and that's what's happening right now. Councillors already approved it in principle, public consultation took place over December/January, councillors are to vote again this month, and all going well, the 100 km/h limits will be restored by the end of March.

Thing is, the County Council also had the power to do all this BEFORE the new road opened, so that the limits could have stayed at 100 all along. But for some unknown reason, they just didn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I pretty sure I haven't seen any speed vans on any of the 80km converted stretch since the switch, I'm curious to hear if others have?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I pretty sure I haven't seen any speed vans on any of the 80km converted stretch since the switch, I'm curious to hear if others have?

They've been there,they were haunting the road between Ferns and Clogh and on the Wexford road, especially just outside Enniscorthy where the limit changes as pass The Turret Rocks.
    It was utterly stupid that you had to stick to 80kph from Enniscorthy to the roundabout at the end of the M11 near Oylegate and once you went through it, you could drive along at 100kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Speaking of stupid limits, the road from the bottom of Bohreen hill out as far as the Blackstoops roundabout was 60km/h and they put that up to 80km/h. This is a narrow windy bit of road where people walk and I've tried doing 80km/h along it just because that's the allowed limit... craziness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

More importantly will Johnny Mythen reopen his office on Castle Hill that vanished over night when he lost his council seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yermanhimself

Now that we have 3 TDS from Enniscorthy it will be very interesting if any of them can deliver any development or investment in the town.

Now that we have 3 TDS from Enniscorthy it will be very interesting if any of them can deliver any development or investment in the town.

Only one of them is any use and it's not Paul Kehoe or Johnny Mythen.

SLANEY.jpg

The Slaney was fairly high at 8.30am this morning but doesn't look like bursting its banks.

CODD.jpg

Somebody gave Codd the nod and his poster is in danger of joining the plastic in the ocean. I was tempted to take it myself but with my luck I would have fallen into the river or been stopped by Gardai for interfering with election posters. I'll contact Aontu instead.

Just emailed Cllr.Codd.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rackard

:D HA!

Kehoe will be too busy on his colouring books and learning his 2 times tables over the next few years I'd say to worry about the town or county. He has done zero in his 18 years as TD.
    Still can't believe he got in...again.

Browne I'm not sure on either - might eventually get something done - but hopefully not stuck to the back benches like his oul fella.

Can't judge on Mythen yet but hard to see the opportunities there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Drove the old N11 from Oylegate back into Enniscorthy the other day. Was surprised to see 80 KPH signs on it and also that it's a stretch designated for speed vans. As good and wide a piece of the old N roads in the country - motorists just lose respect for speed advisory limits when they they see daft nonsense like this. If it was safe to drive at speeds up to 100 kph a month ago, why not now?? I had previously come up the N72 from Killarney towards Lismore & Dungarvan - 100 kph mostly speed signs but you'd be mad to drive anywhere near that speed on good parts of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Apparently they're increasing back up to 100km/h at the end of March. The article linked below mistakenly states Enniscorthy to Oylegate will remain at 80km/h when it was clearly included in the bye laws amendment I saw on public display in the Council offices over Christmas.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/article38725862.ece

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Decoda wrote: »
    Apparently they're increasing back up to 100km/h at the end of March. The article linked below mistakenly states Enniscorthy to Oylegate will remain at 80km/h when it was clearly included in the bye laws amendment I saw on public display in the Council offices over Christmas.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/enniscorthyguardian/article38725862.ece

D.

That's good - you'd wonder what sort of official thought reducing them to 80 kph because of a change to R road classification.

The old N9 from Castledermot is 100kph. But the classic is the old N4 which got a 80 kph to encourage people onto the tolled M4 I reckon. So be thankful that the Enniscorthy & Ross by passes aren't tolled (yet), otherwise I'd think we'd see the same carry on.

While I think of it, the Waterford toll bridge is completely counter productive for a town routinely choked with traffic. Serious consideration should be made to free that up and encourage more traffic off the quays etc. As it is, it gets little enough use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

It happened overnight automatically when the motorway opened and the old national road became a regional road. It's annoying that the Council hadn't the foresight to have the bye laws ready to go straight away. Still at least ours are being increased. A friend of mine in Kilkenny say that KCC have no immediate plans to increase the old N25 from New Ross to Glenmore.

Strawberry fair to be one a beer festival apparently.
    Thought that ship had sailed?

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/wexford-people/20200218/283261689859719

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

kneemos wrote: »
    Strawberry fair to be one a beer festival apparently.
    Thought that ship had sailed?

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/wexford-people/20200218/283261689859719

How old is that - Keith Doyle is no longer a councillor and Mary Kavanagh isn't a publican

How old is that - Keith Doyle is no longer a councillor and Mary Kavanagh isn't a publican

Strange alright. Could be an old story from today's Guardian.

It's been pretty much a pub festival for the last few years. The once packed streets have become empty and it's just like any other weekend in the town bar a few extra gigs taking place in pubs around the town. You wouldn't even know that there's a festival on.
    The Rocking Food festival has overtaken it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

Story is dated February 2002

A drone and and the coast guard chopper doing rounds of the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The Strawberry article is from the way back when page of the local paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

A drone and and the coast guard chopper doing rounds of the town?
    Aiding in the search for Bernard Kirwan.

• Advertisement

E30i wrote: »
    Story is dated February 2002

And nothing has changed with the Strawberry Fair in 18 years. :(

Advertisement