Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great House Revival

Options
  • 14-04-2019 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭

"Hugh Wallace follows the journey of Gary and Anne Wilson as they embark on a challenging and costly restoration project at the 16th Century Belvelly Tower House in Cobh County Cork" RTE1 Sunday 9.30 p.m.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Sounds crazy - but let's see how it goes.

It's huge, interesting project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

1.2 million - i reckon!!

It's massive. Going down into the foundations for starters and finding water is no fun. The old stone spiral staircase can't be replaced. As Hugh says, That would be a challenge to people of a certain age. Also, the heating of the building poses a challenge. Good luck to them!

The historical background is fascinating

• Advertisement

2.4 million!!
    Edit - faak me 5 mil, fair play. My ticker would have exploded midway!

enricoh wrote: »
    2.4 million!!
    Edit - faak me 5 mil, fair play. My ticker would have exploded midway!

I think that's nearer the mark, enricoh. Does bottomless pit ring any bells?

I absolutely love it, and they seem like a lovely couple, very enjoyable episode.

Between this and At Your Service, this has been one of the best TV-watching nights in a long time.

Great escape from Brexit which has taken up so much of our time of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,255 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is 5 mill the estimate?
    One small problem with foundations or anything and that could skyrocket, hope they're not using anyone associated with the hospital

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Is 5 mill the estimate?
    One small problem with foundations or anything and that could skyrocket, hope they're not using anyone associated with the hospital

Loving that! :pac: :pac:

Restoring this is doing a great service to the Nation, considering its historical significance. It's been waiting a long time for someone to take it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

There should be decent goverment support on these projects. Reduced vat on materials so on more grants..

The planning issue with the battlements ffs... Tis hardly a reinactment of the siege.

At least these people are saving our history.

Nail-biting watching them get that staircase in.

The end result of this project is mind-blowing in its success. An amazing story! Gerry and Anne Wilson have put their huge fortune towards a great gift for us in Southern Ireland. Their attitude is most admirable. Having originated in N.I., they see Ireland as a whole and we in the South are the beneficiaries.

Hugh Wallace has done a great job as the presenter. Here's hoping we see more of him in similar roles.

One small criticism! They seemed to jump very suddenly from "a work in progress" to the "finished product". IMO, there would almost have been enough material for another programme showing how they furnished the place in the end, the decisions they made, etc, etc.

Tuco88 wrote: »
    There should be decent goverment support on these projects. Reduced vat on materials so on more grants..

The planning issue with the battlements ffs... Tis hardly a reinactment of the siege.

At least these people are saving our history.

Agree 100%, they are doing a great service to the country. Instead of help they get an taisce, conservation officers and other jobsworth paracites giving them grief. The capping stones on the roof for example, i think one of the lads working on the job said they cost the price of a house! N had to be changed

enricoh wrote: »
    Agree 100%, they are doing a great service to the country. Instead of help they get an taisce, conservation officers and other jobsworth paracites giving them grief. The capping stones on the roof for example, i think one of the lads working on the job said they cost the price of a house! N had to be changed

It was rather unfortunate that someone misinterpreted the plans. But let's face it, if it was wrong, it was wrong. It would have been a travesty not to correct it.

No need, enricoh, to refer in this manner to professional people honestly doing their jobs as
    an taisce, conservation officers and other jobsworth paracites giving them grief.
    IMO, that's inaccurate, abusive and uncalled for.

Fair play - the Wilsons set the capping right and carried the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

On catch-up. Beautiful finish

As I was passing nearby earlier I drove over for a look, I absolutely love it. The tree is lit up, the man can only be seen from the side but only a small glimse,its very understated imo, fits in beautifully and not a bit in your face or ostentatious, it's big but looked bigger on the show imo. They made a great job of it and their perseverance and hard work (and money lol) paid off, I'd love to have a look inside as I felt the furnishings were spot on(and test that wine collection). 😜

• Advertisement

As I was passing nearby earlier I drove over for a look, I absolutely love it. The tree is lit up, the man can only be seen from the side but only a small glimse,its very understated imo, fits in beautifully and not a bit in your face or ostentatious, it's big but looked bigger on the show imo. They made a great job of it and their perseverance and hard work (and money lol) paid off, I'd love to have a look inside as I felt the furnishings were spot on(and test that wine collection). 😜
    I’m doing the euromillions tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Oh wow. Its magnificent. I actually got emotional watching it

Delighted to see this series is being rerun. Number One, Ballinafad House being restored by the Australian couple, aired earlier today, May 30, on RTE 1 @ 03.30. (a.m.) Nice to put on "Record"!

Delighted to see this series is being rerun. Number One, Ballinafad House being restored by the Australian couple, aired earlier today, May 30, on RTE 1 @ 03.30. (a.m.) Nice to put on "Record"!

That is a fantastic episode. Owner is amazing

Just found episode Number Two - a Georgian house in Dublin, which my recorder had recorded overnight - Thu Jun 6 at 2.30 a.m. on RTE1. The home owner, Murray Rees, wants to make it into a comfortable home but suffers from budgetary limitations - so he's living in the house during renovation. Basically he's living in an abandoned tenement. Interesting to see what he makes of it in the end.

Murray takes on his mother and some friends to tackle the plaster-work with tooth-picks and a bowl of porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Ballinafad House is up for sale: https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/08/08/4178008-prestigious-mayo-property-is-put-up-for-sale-for-2m/

Seems sad that Bede Tannock will no longer own what seemed to be a labour of love for him, but hopefully the new owners will appreciate it. Anybody want to club together to make a bid? I'll throw in the first fiver...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

500,000 on top of the purchase price of 500,000 for so little house.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I've never watched this before, I'm a fan of Hugh though.

Crazy money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

laugh wrote: »
    500,000 on top of the purchase price of 500,000 for so little house.
    And she thinks she'll be in their in 5 months! She's mad. Whats her career out of interest? Missed the start.

Advertisement