Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Ballinglanna opens in Q1/Q2 2020, with 400 units coming on stream eventually (probably over the next two years). And another 250 ish follows after that, if Dunkettle gets done..
    I'd obviously rather higher density housing developments located in the city centre, but it is technically city housing being delivered in the next few weeks. And it's obviously a flawed development design (no public transport or footpaths) but in terms of city housing delivery, it's at least a start.

Really that soon? Glanmire traffic is already bad enough and none of the proposed road upgrades in the area have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Ballinglanna opens in Q1/Q2 2020, with 400 units coming on stream eventually (probably over the next two years). And another 250 ish follows after that, if Dunkettle gets done..
    I'd obviously rather higher density housing developments located in the city centre, but it is technically city housing being delivered in the next few weeks. And it's obviously a flawed development design (no public transport or footpaths) but in terms of city housing delivery, it's at least a start.

Great to hear!

But - and I'm not being a misery guts, honest! - that's still a fraction of the new office capacity. Adding a thousand or so units across all residential developments, and 10,000+ new office capacity if all are finished; means a net negative for the accommodation shortage.

Plus, if the offices are central and the residential developments are all suburban, it adds pressure too to the traffic and/or public transport systems.

(It's Friday. I'll shut up and be happy now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

who_me wrote: »
    Great to hear!

But - and I'm not being a misery guts, honest! - that's still a fraction of the new office capacity. Adding a thousand or so units across all residential developments, and 10,000+ new office capacity if all are finished; means a net negative for the accommodation shortage.

Plus, if the offices are central and the residential developments are all suburban, it adds pressure too to the traffic and/or public transport systems.

(It's Friday. I'll shut up and be happy now).

Further 302 apartments are to be constructed as part of the Horgans Quay development.
    Agreed its still not enough but some progress. The offices location means train travel becomes quite viable for a lot of people from East Cork and Mallow direction. God only knows how those from West cork are meant to get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

snotboogie wrote: »

Going forward:

Updated best case schedule:

Q4 2019: Victoria Hotel, Kelleher Tyre's Student, Morrison's Island Hostel

Permission...for the construction of a residential development of 25 no. student apartments, consisting of 154 no. bed spaces and all ancillary site works at the former Kelleher's Tyres service centre, Victoria Cross Road, Cork. The proposed development represents an alteration to a development permitted by Cork City Council planning reference 18/37795 and proposes an additional 5 no. student apartments over that previously permitted. The proposed development provides for the demolition of the existing commercial building and the construction of an 8-storey apartment block consisting of 4 no.4-bedroom apartments, 3 no. 5-bedroom apartments, 8 no. 6-bedroom apartments, 5 no. 7-bedroom apartments, 5 no. 8 bedroom apartments with ancillary common room and office/reception. The proposal includes plant/service rooms, bin storage area, laundry, bicycle storage, a rear vehicular service entrance, shared garden areas, rooftop terrace, and a landscaped riverside amenity.

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1938385/0

Design drawings previously posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Apogee wrote: »

Are all these student apartments which are planned, in the middle of construction or recently completed having the desired impact and freeing up properties for private residential occupancy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Are all these student apartments which are planned, in the middle of construction or recently completed having the desired impact and freeing up properties for private residential occupancy?

Don't think there is a specific way to measure that. Can really only assume that if students are moving away from houses to purpose built properties that there is some degree of improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

rounders wrote: »
    Don't think there is a specific way to measure that. Can really only assume that if students are moving away from houses to purpose built properties that there is some degree of improvement

Depends whether they can afford these fancy pants apartment rents or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Really that soon? Glanmire traffic is already bad enough and none of the proposed road upgrades in the area have been done.

Those belated infrastructure upgrades are going to ABP for CPO soon. Maybe complete next year if we're lucky.

Fully agree that they shouldn't be lumping the new traffic onto the old infrastructure (as did ABP in their first planning refusal) but at least there's some glimmer of hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

That's the grasping of any nettles re CMATS and Ireland 2040 put off for months now until a government is formed and unless the Greens are part of that government I feel CMATS is b0llixed.

That's the grasping of any nettles re CMATS and Ireland 2040 put off for months now until a government is formed and unless the Greens are part of that government I feel CMATS is b0llixed.

Well most areas of Cork returned SF so let's see if they are as "Green" as they espouse

• Advertisement

Well most areas of Cork returned SF so let's see if they are as "Green" as they espouse
    They're not the 'green' we need. Non existent environmental policies in manifesto.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Of the big 3 parties SF and FG specifically committed to funding CMATS in their manifesto. FF (despite the two main men in the party being from Cork) made no reference in their manifesto. The majority of the FF transport plan revolves around more roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Let's see how the dust settles in a couple of weeks.
    Politics discussions won't help us right now.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Of the big 3 parties SF and FG specifically committed to funding CMATS in their manifesto. FF (despite the two main men in the party being from Cork) made no reference in their manifesto. The majority of the FF transport plan revolves around more roads.
    I didn't realise that - just checked it out. Thanks for pointing that out. Silver lining!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I didn't realise that - just checked it out. Thanks for pointing that out. Silver lining!

O'Laoghaire has been very vocal on public transport in Cork throughout his last term

snotboogie wrote: »
    O'Laoghaire has been very vocal on public transport in Cork throughout his last term

And, should they end up in government, the proof will be in the eating

• Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

And, should they end up in government, the proof will be in the eating

Cork had a senior government minister at the cabinet table for the last 22 years between Martin and Coveney. They didn't exactly excel themselves at delivering infrastructure for Cork. I wouldn't be expecting anything now either.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Cork had a senior government minister at the cabinet table for the last 22 years between Martin and Coveney. They didn't exactly excel themselves at delivering infrastructure for Cork. I wouldn't be expecting anything now either.

Again, proof will be in the next few weeks/months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Again, proof will be in the next few weeks/months.

The proof of the last 20 years will not be undone in a couple of months time, nor will it ever be forgotten.

Talk about setting someone up for a fall.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    The proof of the last 20 years will not be undone in a couple of months time, nor will it ever be forgotten.

Talk about setting someone up for a fall.

Progression on CMATS, Cork/Limerick Motorway, NRR will be telling.

How is judging them on their commitments a set up?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Progression on CMATS, Cork/Limerick Motorway, NRR will be telling.

How is judging them on their commitments a set up?

Expecting something to be done in a couple of months when several ministers from Cork didnt deliver for Cork in over 2 decades.

No pressure then.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Expecting something to be done in a couple of months when several ministers from Cork didnt deliver for Cork in over 2 decades.

No pressure then.

They committed in their manifestos. CMATS came out last year, not 20 years ago. If it completely stalls then we know that SF are the same as others (should they form a government that is)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's important to note also that CMATS is still a draft. There won't be any implementations until the final revision is published.

However, once it's published, that excuse becomes moot. The Chamber of Commerce amongst others have been calling for leadership on the issue in the pre-election season.

The best thing is that there's the prospect of a Minister for Transport who isn't a disinterested fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Would I right in saying that the decision on the Sextant tower will be before the end of this month.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Would I right in saying that the decision on the Sextant tower will be before the end of this month.
    You would indeed - 26th February

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Its well know who owns these buildings and his name has been mentioned on both 96fm and Red fm on numerous occasions
    Lives is a mansion on Maryborough hill

Dbu wrote: »
    Its well know who owns these buildings and his name has been mentioned on both 96fm and Red fm on numerous occasions
    Lives is a mansion on Maryborough hill

Why cryptic? Nothing wrong with stating who it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Why cryptic? Nothing wrong with stating who it is?
    Here you go
    Easy to find online
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/owner-blames-crash-for-dereliction-on-corks-historic-spine-932989.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There's a smallish housing estate being started on mill road midleton ,but more significantly the enormous concrete grain silos next door are also being demolished , I'll see if I can get a pic or 2 to put up , assume they'll be weeks working on the demolition ,it's not a huge site ,with mill road in front ,
    And the river just a few feet behind the silos ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement