Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Producer Ben

Looking forward to Cotton Ball opening their brew bar on McCurtain St too. Can't be that far away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Looking forward to Cotton Ball opening their brew bar on McCurtain St too. Can't be that far away.

I take it that it will be in Thompson house ,jack owned that building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/corks-iconic-thompsons-bakery-to-rise-again-in-different-guise-978546.html

Article today on the Examiner about Thomspons - mentions Cotton Ball open by April.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Definitely. MacCurtain Street has a good vibe especially towards the Bridge Street end but it's badly let down by the streetscape dominated by cars and narrow footpaths.
    Will making it two way have an impact on this? They could remove parking / Bus lane and widen the footpaths with cut-ins for the bus perhaps, unlikely but the big problem with that street is people chucking their cars into the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

D'Agger wrote: »
    Will making it two way have an impact on this? They could remove parking / Bus lane and widen the footpaths with cut-ins for the bus perhaps, unlikely but the big problem with that street is people chucking their cars into the bus lane.

I believe that a re-work of McCurtain street is the plan:
    2-way, with a tram line, no/minimal parking, wider footpaths and a primary cycle route.

Doubtful if I'll see much/any of it in my lifetime!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Also need a loading bay for the everyman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Video was actually done just before Christmas but only posted recently: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jcd-group_acityrising-anewkindofworkday-activity-6623535648819171330-a-xH

Note: Linkedin's video player is pants

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Video was actually done just before Christmas but only posted recently: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/jcd-group_acityrising-anewkindofworkday-activity-6623535648819171330-a-xH

Note: Linkedin's video player is pants

Their Linkedin page is very active. Posting content regular about PD which leads me to assume they are struggling to drum up business for the offices :(

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

New social media video from Cork Chamber on their election manifesto and top priorities for incoming government is very positive. Give credit to Cork Chamber - their message has been consistent over the past couple of years - sustainable, environmentally sound, dense, centrally located brown field development public transport (including National Transport Authority office in Cork to prove CMATS wasn't a waste of paper it was printed on as usual) and quality of life investment. Government really need to step up and match it's waffle with action.

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/corkchamber_ge2020-ge2020-activity-6628034652374388737-fpLi

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Particularly liked the call out of the NTA to setup in Cork and literally see what they're dealing with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/corks-iconic-thompsons-bakery-to-rise-again-in-different-guise-978546.html

Article today on the Examiner about Thomspons - mentions Cotton Ball open by April.

I heard they haven't got a full license for alcohol, it can only be sold with food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Italix wrote: »
    I heard they haven't got a full license for alcohol, it can only be sold with food.

Out of interest what's your source? Official or word of mouth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Out of interest what's your source? Official or word of mouth?

An employee, it doesn't make sense to me but that's what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Italix wrote: »

A Micro-brewery where you can't stop off to just have a drink is an unusual concept if it turns out to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

Strange. That would make sense for the Glass Curtain, but if thats for the brewery its a disaster for them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bierhalle (next door to The Bierhaus, now Mirch Massala ) had the same problem.
    I think the original idea was a bar that served food but the licencing situation meant that alcohol could only be served with food - something about half the turnover being food, too.

I assumed that Thompson's would have a full bar licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

A Micro-brewery where you can't stop off to just have a drink is an unusual concept if it turns out to be true.

Not in Ireland. Law only changed in the last couple of years. Think up until recently you couldnt pop into the local brewery to get a few bottles or hampers at christmas. New law changed it a bit and mirco breweries can sell you drink directly if you do a tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not in Ireland. Law only changed in the last couple of years. Think up until recently you couldnt pop into the local brewery to get a few bottles or hampers at christmas. New law changed it a bit and mirco breweries can sell you drink directly if you do a tour.

That requires a new kind of licence. You have to go to court for it.
    It applies to micro breweries and distilleries.
    Any other liquor licence associated with the premises is extinguished (apart from manufacturing licence).
    So, if they went down that route, they could only sell what they make on site, could only serve people with a ticket for a tour and could not serve after 19.00.

Not great for a restaurant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

According to SSC there's been site engineers out and about around the Prism over the last few days. Anyone spotted them?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

marno21 wrote: »
    According to SSC there's been site engineers out and about around the Prism over the last few days. Anyone spotted them?

Saw a group of lads in high vis standing around that area yesterday morning. Can't say for certain it was related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Saw a group of lads in high vis standing around that area yesterday morning. Can't say for certain it was related

I went past it today coming up to lunchtime couldn't see any action outside & the access gate facing towards the bus station was locked up.

opus wrote: »
    I went past it today coming up to lunchtime couldn't see any action outside & the access gate facing towards the bus station was locked up.

Really hope this starts soon, need some of these plans to get going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Groundwork/clearing seems to have resumed on the Dunkettle site.

Passed there twice today by the old Hotel Ibis/Gaelscoil and could see men on site and some extra clearing of trees beside the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Looks tailor made for another office development site is there's still room for more.

Sale of farm supplies shop may lead to Cork City’s next major development

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Are we really oversaturing offices in cork now though? Friend works in clearstream in NSQ1 and said above him is still.empty, the new block they are building is empty and the 3rd one is empty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

At the moment, probably. You'd imagine that unless there's some serious work done by the IDA (City Council? Chamber of Commerce?) in order to promote outside investment, most of the office capacity is likely to be Cork based businesses shuffling around the city.

Considering you have 2 office blocks at Penrose Dock to come, 2 at Penrose Quay, 3 at Horgan's Quay, the Prism, the office blocks in the Beamish Quarter....

And it hardly needs saying again, adding on capacity for ~10,000 office workers doesn't make a whole lot of sense when there's very limited residential increases to match. The largest likely upcoming development being the Albert Quay tower, but that's still only ~500, so the overall effect will be a worsening of the housing situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Are we really oversaturing offices in cork now though? Friend works in clearstream in NSQ1 and said above him is still.empty, the new block they are building is empty and the 3rd one is empty

I think they are still working on the second block? As far as I know there has been no work started on the third.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

snotboogie wrote: »
    I think they are still working on the second block? As far as I know there has been no work started on the third.

There isn't, but if the first one isn't full and the second one has nobody going in yet then the third will more then likely be the same is what I meant by that, bad grammar haha.

I'm not saying they shouldn't build it, it's brilliant to see all these new offices going up, much better then the run down stuff that was there. There just needs to be a real push by IDA Ireland etc as somebody said to get more business down to here instead of Dublin. Accomdation really is the blocking point though.

Does anyone have the info on when the Greens were against the height of Custom House, before they switched tack and went with the "local access" route to object?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

who_me wrote: »
    At the moment, probably. You'd imagine that unless there's some serious work done by the IDA (City Council? Chamber of Commerce?) in order to promote outside investment, most of the office capacity is likely to be Cork based businesses shuffling around the city.

Considering you have 2 office blocks at Penrose Dock to come, 2 at Penrose Quay, 3 at Horgan's Quay, the Prism, the office blocks in the Beamish Quarter....

And it hardly needs saying again, adding on capacity for ~10,000 office workers doesn't make a whole lot of sense when there's very limited residential increases to match. The largest likely upcoming development being the Albert Quay tower, but that's still only ~500, so the overall effect will be a worsening of the housing situation.

Ballinglanna opens in Q1/Q2 2020, with 400 units coming on stream eventually (probably over the next two years). And another 250 ish follows after that, if Dunkettle gets done..
    I'd obviously rather higher density housing developments located in the city centre, but it is technically city housing being delivered in the next few weeks. And it's obviously a flawed development design (no public transport or footpaths) but in terms of city housing delivery, it's at least a start.

Advertisement