Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I'd highly recommend using RAC to inspect any car - it's not cheap but they are very good, you normally get a verbal report the day of inspection and then a detailed written one 24hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Debub

LillySV wrote: »
    I read somewhere before that the rac are best for the checks , AA aren’t as good .... could anyone clarify if this is the case?

DEKRA is quite good too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Amouar

wassie wrote: »
    The Pound will drop at 11.27am on 25th Feb by 15%. :P

And anyone (including me) who says otherwise is simply guessing. Sterling has been trading around its highest levels in 2 years over the last couple of months, despite uncertainty with Brexit and many forecasting a drop over the last year in this forum.

Agreed. I never put deposits - If you don't buy the car your going to have a hard time getting your cash back. Dealer knows your from over the water and your probably going to head back home soon enough. If you do, get it in writing from them that if for any reason you decide not to purchase, you unequivocally get your deposit back. Otherwise its your word against theirs on the terms of a refund.

You can always go for a Visa/MC charge back if the dealer doesn't want to refund the deposit even if they started that it was fully refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,209 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The_Fitz wrote: »
    How do you get a copy certified? Photocopy and walk into a gardai station?

My MOT cert was a photocopy, I read that the VRT office may ask for it to be certified by the gardai. I didn't want any excuses for it not to be accepted so I got it certified in a gardai station. I brought in my copy and had the MOT website up on my phone. Showed the garda the corresponding cert numbers and he was happy to sign and stamp it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'd highly recommend using RAC to inspect any car - it's not cheap but they are very good, you normally get a verbal report the day of inspection and then a detailed written one 24hours later.

I've had AA before and thought they were very thorough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Debub

Debub wrote: »
    DEKRA is quite good too

I think that AA in UK actually get the inspection done by DEKRA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

What kind of money are they ? Just say I went over to U.K. to just check out cars and came across one I liked in a dealership. Could I ring rac there and then to get them to come or should I have it arranged afew days in advance ?

Another thing ... do they guarantee their car check in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You have to book an inspection in advance as they may not have an inspector in the area at the time. You might also need to reserve the car otherwise it could be sod or moved to another location down the country before the inspector turns up, as a lot of the big car dealers have multiple dealerships around the country and they move cars around and even off the service of moving it to one of their other branches that's closer to a buyer for a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

Sterling price starting to drop again ever so slightly. 1.19 -> 1.17 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 shirazhyder84

Imported a car yesterday and got it VRTd today. As expected, no VAT or customs duty on importing the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Imported a car yesterday and got it VRTd today. As expected, no VAT or customs duty on importing the car.

Excellent,well done. Good news for the rest of us, any issues around the MOT or do you not need an NCT at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

MOTs can be exchanged for NCT cert until the transition period is over

• Registered Users Posts: 23,198 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I see something confusing on the vrt calculator.
    They now have an option for 530E on the drop down menu as opposed to picking 530 and then later picking plug in hybrid in next menu.
    Anyway, they only have an se option if you go that way but the figures dont appear to add up. It's 14 percent of 26600 less 2250 for a 2018 model yet this is not the figure they produce.
    Figures still as expected if picking 530 first as opposed to 530E
    This makes things a bit of of a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

I forgot my vasoline this morning . 2016 v40 web site not yet updated for nox tax .. more than the vrt.. has anyone appealed this year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

11wingnut wrote: »
    I forgot my vasoline this morning . 2016 v40 web site not yet updated for nox tax .. more than the vrt.. has anyone appealed this year ?

You should be okay with a 2016 car, the max you can be charged for a car that year is €600 NOX tax.

way more than that ..total 4818

• Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭User1998

Where are you getting that figure from? Do you have the v5 logbook?

I’m looking at a 2016 Volvo V40 2.0 D3 150 R Design Plus with Nox emissions of 0.77 which is €555.

paid it today on line says about 2600.. i could live with that ,, appointment this morning they tell me that that does not include nox so total 4818

Ouch.. I would have thought it would be way lower being a 2016. A few posters have said the max is €600 for euro 6 and I thought that was true as well (.80mg of Nox = €600)

I was even looking at a 2015 Diesel V40 that had only €555 worth of Nox.

If you purchased the car or booked the VRT appointment before January you’d have a chance at appealing it but I doubt you booked/purchased that long ago? Maybe they made a mistake and gave you the wrong Nox figures?

Note

The NOx charge is not currently included on the VRT calculator. This means that the estimate presented by the calculator will not be the final amount due. Customers can determine the potential NOx levy for their vehicle by using this calculator. This will provide an estimate of the charge payable.

The attached spreadsheet may assist to identify your vehicle with its estimated NOx emissions value.

hidden in revenue site . i purchased in november brought in in jan got screwed today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kelzer

Quick questions - is it ok to present car to VRT with the V5c document containing previous owner's name? Also ok to detach section 5 (permanent export) and present to VRT without that section? Thanks

Yes and yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

The dealer in the UK gave me a photocopy of the log book only and sent everything else off to the DVLA. I found out the hard way that photocopies arent accepted here. The dealer doesn't want to hear anything, neither does the DVLA. The Irish authorities wont help. So I have a car I can't register, sell, or scrap because I dont have the log book. The DVLA are saying that because the car is marked as exported on their side, I need to contact the authorities in Ireland for assistance.

If anyone knows how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. I need a family car (baby due in April), so I can't keep it here in my driveway but I'm aware I can't just abandon it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Read this thread and see if it's similar to your problem:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058000698

The dealer should be helping you as they didn't follow the proper procedure from the DVLA around selling a car to someone who is permanently exporting it. Alas they know it's very unlikely you will turn up at their door bugging them to fix the problem so it's easy for them to fob you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

in short, you will need to find an address in the UK and re-register your car (as if you've imported it to the UK) in the UK in your name or a friends and then you'll get a V5C which you can use to re-register it in Ireland,. As it's marked "exported" there doesn't seem to be any other way around this.

Isambard wrote: »
    in short, you will need to find an address in the UK and re-register your car (as if you've imported it to the UK) in the UK in your name or a friends and then you'll get a V5C which you can use to re-register it in Ireland,. As it's marked "exported" there doesn't seem to be any other way around this.

I done this, a paperwork exercise. they will not need to inspect car but reserve the right to.

CPTM wrote: »
    The dealer in the UK gave me a photocopy of the log book only and sent everything else off to the DVLA. I found out the hard way that photocopies arent accepted here. The dealer doesn't want to hear anything, neither does the DVLA. The Irish authorities wont help. So I have a car I can't register, sell, or scrap because I dont have the log book. The DVLA are saying that because the car is marked as exported on their side, I need to contact the authorities in Ireland for assistance.

If anyone knows how to fix this, it would be greatly appreciated. I need a family car (baby due in April), so I can't keep it here in my driveway but I'm aware I can't just abandon it somewhere.

When did it happen? Dealer gave me the little slip of paper, not the full logbook. Luckily the rest of the form was sent to me from the DVLA saying the dealer should have gave me this. I think it's luck of the draw, depends on who in the DVLA's desk it lands on. They send it to me in Ireland so it saved me a lot of hassle. DVLA on the phone weren't helpful.
    Took about 4 weeks for the DVLA to send me the form

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Hi there.

Set up my own company just after Christmas, in the construction game. Based in North Dublin/Meath.

My other half has a small ford fiesta 2009 and I drive a VW Golf MK6 2011. Our plan would be to sell both, buy one good/nice car out of our own money- she would drive to work, maybe an Audi or something, then I'd buy a commercial van/car type thing (a VW Golf with only 2 seats so it qualifies as commercial would be ideal) and buy it through the company for VAT reasons etc. This would probably be on a lease plan most likely.

Just posting on here for any advice on certain dealerships or good HP/PCP/Leasing plans you might know of around the country.

I'm originally a Tyrone man, living in dublin a couple of years now - my general perception is that you don't buy a car in Ireland - they're just too dear compared with the choice and value you get in England - I'd love it if someone proved me wrong on here.

I always bought my cars in the past privately in england, would fly over, purchase and drive home. I took a brand new 2.0 GTD Golf Mk7 in 2016 on a 2 year lease with a VW Dealer in the north - it was £250 a month, mileage upto 16,000 per year, all services etc covered, peanuts.

I can't find anything like that down here, looked at Joe Duffy etc and the prices for leasing aren't near wise at all.

Am I better off going to the UK again and buying a vehicle, then paying the VRT transferring it over? Or is there value down here... I'm aware I can apply for exemption of VRT once only when transferring UK plates to ROI.

Thanks in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Cienciano wrote: »
    When did it happen? Dealer gave me the little slip of paper, not the full logbook. Luckily the rest of the form was sent to me from the DVLA saying the dealer should have gave me this. I think it's luck of the draw, depends on who in the DVLA's desk it lands on. They send it to me in Ireland so it saved me a lot of hassle. DVLA on the phone weren't helpful.
    Took about 4 weeks for the DVLA to send me the form

you were lucky, but if it had already been marked exported, you'd have had a a world of pain.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    you were lucky, but if it had already been marked exported, you'd have had a a world of pain.

It had been. DVLA said the I need the logbook to give to the Irish authorities in the cover letter.
    Lucky, I rang the DVLA when I found out I had the wrong document and was told the story about registering in the UK again and presenting the car for inspection. Would have been a nightmare

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement