Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's not been updated yet, but the legislation for Brexit is going through. All going well*, they'll be out by end of year and I assume that VAT and Duty might be chargeable then, depending on the final outcome of negotiations.

* if you can call it that...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 djunmark

Thanks. This sounds good. I thought VAT and Custom will be applied from February.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭deezell

djunmark wrote: »
    Thanks. This sounds good. I thought VAT and Custom will be applied from February.

So did I, and I've seen nothing in writing on a revenue site that contradicts that, just peoples interpretations of that page being written prior to deal being accepted and an assumption of a hard brexit on Feb 1st. Customs duty may be suspended in the transition period, but where does it say Vat, which will apply regardless of whatever deal is done before Dec 2020, should not commence immediately. Britain will be non EU in 6 days. VAT at the least should begin to be levied at point of entry, and UK Vat no longer charged on UK private exports to Ireland. Most used UK cars don't qualify for VAT refund on export. The only argument for no vat on used cars would be that the original vat inherent in the sale price was collected during UK EU membership, but good luck with that. I'll be really surprised and pleased if the VAT is stalled till 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭The Mulk

deezell wrote: »
    So did I, and I've seen nothing in writing on a revenue site that contradicts that, just peoples interpretations of that page being written prior to deal being accepted and an assumption of a hard brexit on Feb 1st. Customs duty may be suspended in the transition period, but where does it say Vat, which will apply regardless of whatever deal is done before Dec 2020, should not commence immediately. Britain will be non EU in 6 days. VAT at the least should begin to be levied at point of entry, and UK Vat no longer charged on UK private exports to Ireland. Most used UK cars don't qualify for VAT refund on export. The only argument for no vat on used cars would be that the original vat inherent in the sale price was collected during UK EU membership, but good luck with that. I'll be really surprised and pleased if the VAT is stalled till 2021.

Under the terms of the WA, the UK will have an exit transition period until 31 December 2020. Until this time, the UK will remain within the EU VAT regime, Single Market and Customs Union.

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/uk-to-leave-eu-vat-regime-31-dec-20200.html

That's what I've read, not sure how official it is.
    I'm importing one on 1st Feb, I'll let you know how it goes.

The Mulk wrote: »
    Under the terms of the WA, the UK will have an exit transition period until 31 December 2020. Until this time, the UK will remain within the EU VAT regime, Single Market and Customs Union.

https://www.avalara.com/vatlive/en/vat-news/uk-to-leave-eu-vat-regime-31-dec-20200.html

That's what I've read, not sure how official it is.
    I'm importing one on 1st Feb, I'll let you know how it goes.

That looks reasonably official, if from a UK perspective. Nothing to stop our gougers from saying it's for business (i.e, dealers) only or some other crap. Fingers crossed and good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

moby2101 wrote: »
    What are you looking for? Genuine question, if you are looking for a car less than 3 years old there's still massive savings to be made.

More than 3 and that’s the problem ... looking for cars between 2012-2016... with the vrt, nox emissions and impending brexit, it seems anything I like in that range gone up here and costs more to import here

• Registered Users Posts: 41 djunmark

Should be still grand if there there is no VAT to be paid here due to transition period? Unless your NOx is very high?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I'm finding the same. Looking for 2016 A4s.
    Called into an Audi dealer today and there was several in the €22k-€25k range. All decent spec and mileage. All the non s-lines had full leather seats, multi function steering wheel etc.

On auto-trader good spec 2016 A4s are around £13k-15k which I think will end up being €20k-23k once all is said and done.

Considering I get a 1 year warranty with the Audi dealership it makes it quite an appealing option. Also don't have to deal with the hassle of importing and all that entails.

I still think there might be some savings importing but you'll have to spend time searching and speccing the car correctly.

Exactly, you would want to be saving a good few thousand to be buying abroad..

Vrt and nox emissions has frigged everything...Anything that’s lower emissions are now overpriced and anything high emissions is too expensive to get back... so your overcharged in every way I had been considering X5, ideally 2015 year but too expensive ... by time I get it back I’d be as good adding an extra 2-3 k and getting a 3 litre porsche cayenne hybrid! At that stage your up near the 40k mark! In my opinion that’s too much for them 2015 jeeps... they won’t be worth half that in 2 years time...

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

Is there any difference between nct centres for paying vrt or do they all arrive at the same figure? I got a calculation done with my vehicle I think it was and they gave me three different figures.

Also any tips on appealing the vrt afterwards? I remember we did this the last time and got a couple of hundred back.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

The online NoX calculator doesn't have the exact model of car I'm looking at.
    I put the reg into cartell.ie but it doesn't list anything for the NOx g/km.

Is there any other way to find the NOx number?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

The online NoX calculator doesn't have the exact model of car I'm looking at.
    I put the reg into cartell.ie but it doesn't list anything for the NOx g/km.

Is there any other way to find the NOx number?

Thanks!

Its on section V3 on the V5. That's the only reliable way at the moment to get the figure.

Is there any difference between nct centres for paying vrt or do they all arrive at the same figure? I got a calculation done with my vehicle I think it was and they gave me three different figures.

Also any tips on appealing the vrt afterwards? I remember we did this the last time and got a couple of hundred back.

They all use the same system so the figure should be the same. What do you mean they gave you 3 different figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭millie12345

michellie wrote: »
    They all use the same system so the figure should be the same. What do you mean they gave you 3 different figures?

They gave a figure and two alternative calculations I think is what they called them.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭The_Fitz

The_Fitz wrote: »
    Wife just been sent away from the NCTS centre as there are two engine numbers that come up on their computer and they can't make the decision there and then to pick one.

It has to go off to Revenue for them to make a decision on which number which then decides the VRT.

Anyone any experience of this?

Finally got my new plates at the weekend. Happy days. Now I need to sort out motor tax and swapping the MOT for an NCT.

Need my chassis number to get my PIN to pay for motor tax apparently.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to swap the MOT? I had seen a link on this but can't find it. Think it's 15e as well. Anyway around sending a cheque as I haven't seen a cheque book in about 10 years.

Also, I've not seen the plates yet, but my wife has said that they are to be stuck on with adhesive. Is it easy to remove UK plates and stick these on or will I need any tools?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,183 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can anyone point me in the right direction to swap the MOT? I had seen a link on this but can't find it. Think it's 15e as well. Anyway around sending a cheque as I haven't seen a cheque book in about 10 years

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/The-NCT--Recognition-Certs/

Finally got my new plates at the weekend. Happy days. Now I need to sort out motor tax and swapping the MOT for an NCT.

Need my chassis number to get my PIN to pay for motor tax apparently.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to swap the MOT? I had seen a link on this but can't find it. Think it's 15e as well. Anyway around sending a cheque as I haven't seen a cheque book in about 10 years.

Also, I've not seen the plates yet, but my wife has said that they are to be stuck on with adhesive. Is it easy to remove UK plates and stick these on or will I need any tools?

Motor tax PIN is the last 6 digits of the vehicle VIN no, on the V5c or on the car windscreen.
    for MOT go to www.ncts.ie/1112, item 16, you need to fill in the form, no fee.

If UK plates are screwed on, use these as a template to drill the new plates and reuse screws. Stick ons fall off.

Motor tax PIN is the last 6 digits of the vehicle VIN no, on the V5c or on the car windscreen.
    for MOT go to www.ncts.ie/1112, item 16, you need to fill in the form, no fee.

If UK plates are screwed on, use these as a template to drill the new plates and reuse screws. Stick ons fall off.

Cheers! I see it says the fee is being waived on the site yet the form tells ye to include the payment.

Was thinking the stick ons would be useless.

They gave a figure and two alternative calculations I think is what they called them.

Were they all on the declaration? Vrt/NOx/penalties /cancellation fee/retest fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

FWIW - I have not used screws for the last 6 cars I brought in. Double sided tape for each one and not one has moved. I think plastic plates with no holes look way better. Very small sample, and just my experience. Clean off all old dirt from behind the plate really well first though.

About to send off my MOT cert to swap it for an NCT cert. Bit nervous of sending off the original as I'm unsure how I would get it again if it was lost. Anyone had their's certified? How did you go about doing that? Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

You can get a copy of the MOT cert online, for free.

https://www.gov.uk/replacing-lost-damaged-mot-certificate

According to what I've read, the € 15 fee is currently being waived.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

About to send off my MOT cert to swap it for an NCT cert. Bit nervous of sending off the original as I'm unsure how I would get it again if it was lost. Anyone had their's certified? How did you go about doing that? Cheers

I would chance sending a copy.

It seems it depends on who opens the envelope in NCT. Mine was returned because it was a copy and others have had copies accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Definitely, go for it. your v5c says tdi se, nothing else. The technology variant is not stated, so they cant force the L variant on you. If they say the co2 of yours is 2 higher, its still the 16% band. Its all down to the new price here last jamuary, and the depreciation. 6% is ludicrous, 18% hardly generous for a yeat old. Go for that variant, Tdi SE technology. Stat code 40788555

Thanks to deezell and colm mcm, I just got letter from revenue saying my appeal was successful, €485 coming to me soon!!Thanks for the advice lads, if I could, I'd buy you all a few pints!

You can get a copy of the MOT cert online, for free.

https://www.gov.uk/replacing-lost-damaged-mot-certificate

According to what I've read, the € 15 fee is currently being waived.

Weird. The UK reg doesn't work on that site. Thought it might have been because it's been imported out.

It does however work when searching whether it is taxed - https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

I would chance sending a copy.

It seems it depends on who opens the envelope in NCT. Mine was returned because it was a copy and others have had copies accepted.

How do you get a copy certified? Photocopy and walk into a gardai station?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I had to get it posted to me by the DVLA and was charged either £10 or £15, can't remember which. I also asked the lady in the DVLA (on the phone) to include a compliments slip to say it was issued by them. NCT accepted it and to be honest I couldn't see the difference in what I supplied first and what I got from the DVLA but someone in NCT needed to earn their pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭wassie

toby2111 wrote: »
    Thanks to deezell and colm mcm, I just got letter from revenue saying my appeal was successful, €485 coming to me soon!!Thanks for the advice lads, if I could, I'd buy you all a few pints!
    Nice work. Great feeling when you read that letter....until you think....hmmm I should have claimed more! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

you really shouldn't need to, the UK MoT is online so all the NCT need do is log in and verify it themselves. They are so twentieth century

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭tippgod

hi all. i bought a car from a main dealer in Newcastle. paid deposit by credit card so now just have to pay the balance of £9400

my wife is with Bank of Ireland. Did i hear right somewhere that doing a bank to bank transfer with Bank of Ireland is the best or cheapest way to pay or what would people suggest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭User1998

Usually using your bank is the most expensive. Most people use transferwise as its the most reliable and more affordable than with your own bank. I use Revolut

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement