Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

It doesn't matter what it's been marked if they'll play ball and post you the V5C like that.congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Isambard wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what it's been marked if they'll play ball and post you the V5C like that.congrats!

Yeah, I literally think I was just lucky with whoever's desk it fell onto that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭amf78

Looking to buy a car from England.
    Called a few dealers, and was told by some of them it's not possible as I would need to have a UK address to register the car to.
    I find this claim questionable given the number of people importing cars from UK over the years... does everybody in Ireland have friends/relatives in the UK (or owns a shell company based there)?
    Even I know there's a section in the V5C for permanent exports, and if I'm not mistaken the new format allows for non-UK registration addresses in the new owner section as well.
    I probably should call DVLA to clarify but in the meantime, am I missing something here? Did the legislation change recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,119 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Plenty of dealers in the UK who sell to Irish customers, no need to be wasting time with clowns who don't want your money or are ignorant of how to sell a car for permanent export.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Plenty of dealers in the UK who sell to Irish customers, no need to be wasting time with clowns who don't want your money or are ignorant of how to sell a car for permanent export.

I see. I just wouldn't have expected BMW official dealers to be clowns. I wanted approved used for a number of reasons (mainly to avoid the separate inspection) but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

• Advertisement

It's very possible they are supplying BMW dealers here with used stock so won't sell to Irish customers as it harms their trade here. Mercedes had similar policies. Try another main dealer in another part of the country as not all of them have that policy.

It's very possible they are supplying BMW dealers here with used stock so won't sell to Irish customers as it harms their trade here. Mercedes had similar policies. Try another main dealer in another part of the country as not all of them have that policy.
    I'm surprised they have a legal basis for that. Then again when you're BMW, probably you don't have to worry much about legal action.

The problem would be proving it, it's a gentleman's agreement no doubt.

The problem would be proving it, it's a gentleman's agreement no doubt.

You mean having proof that they refuse to sell? Well sure if they put it in an email or a chat session on their website, that would be proof, wouldn't it?

Proving that they are not selling to you because of protectionism - ie damaging Irish BMW dealers trade over here. They can have all sorts of company policies around needing a UK address or UK driver's license to cover them. The UK has left the EU so importing will not be attractive this time next year, so best move on and don't bother wasting your time and effort on something that you simply won't get any satisfaction on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Exactly , Although I can say I’ve never seen a uk reg car in my local Bmw garage... probably cause they have enough sense to take off plates before it gets there ... the local Audi and Mercedes garages full of uk plate cars....pure laugh considering all the charges the govt inflicting on us to stop us buying abroad... then we go by off our dealers here and end up just paying more for a car from abroad!

amf78 wrote: »
    I see. I just wouldn't have expected BMW official dealers to be clowns. I wanted approved used for a number of reasons (mainly to avoid the separate inspection) but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

What dealer was it ? I know I had made enquiries with stratstone Bmw previously and they were all for trade with me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

LillySV wrote: »
    Exactly , Although I can say I’ve never seen a uk reg car in my local Bmw garage... probably cause they have enough sense to take off plates before it gets there ... the local Audi and Mercedes garages full of uk plate cars....pure laugh considering all the charges the govt inflicting on us to stop us buying abroad... then we go by off our dealers here and end up just paying more for a car from abroad!

You can usually tell by the logbook if you get that far.

Mc Love wrote: »
    You can usually tell by the logbook if you get that far.

At the current rates... I can’t see me going near any logbooks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - I was looking at used BMW i3 and Nissan Leaf from the UK. The VRT calculator shows €0 for both these cars (and I fairly certain that they don't have any Nox emissions), so the final value if I import them will only be the Pound to Euro conversion - am I correct in thinking that?
    thanks

What dealer was it ? I know I had made enquiries with stratstone Bmw previously and they were all for trade with me

Marshall Scunthorpe
    So far the only ones to turn me down (plus one customer service guy).
    I'm in touch with Stratstone, so far they haven't said anything but we'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Debub wrote: »
    Hi - I was looking at used BMW i3 and Nissan Leaf from the UK. The VRT calculator shows €0 for both these cars (and I fairly certain that they don't have any Nox emissions), so the final value if I import them will only be the Pound to Euro conversion - am I correct in thinking that?
    thanks
    Yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

How are people transferring the cash to the dealer wehen buying in the UK? Change cash to sterling? Currency fair?

Read back a few pages of this thread as it's discussed regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

How are people transferring the cash to the dealer wehen buying in the UK? Change cash to sterling? Currency fair?

I used Revolut Premium, exchanged the money in advance. Paid to their account while at the dealership. It took about 40 min to hit their account. My girlfriend bought a car up the north last week and her transfer only took 10 min.

I would aim to collect the car always on a Thursday, that if it doesn't hit the account till the next day at the least next day is a business day.

Also on that I would recommend buying the flexible ferry ticket, that if you have to stay the night you can easily change ferry. Not a bad idea to look at hotels and prices too just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

amf78 wrote: »
    You mean having proof that they refuse to sell? Well sure if they put it in an email or a chat session on their website, that would be proof, wouldn't it?

They don’t have a monopoly or even a dominant position and thus are free to choose the circumstances under which they will trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,186 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’ve certainly seen plenty at Frank Keane Blackrock but they tend to be subtle in obscuring the plates but have it in small letters somewhere on the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

I bought a car in Scotland in December ,i used a revoult card went through straight away

beaver111 wrote: »
    I bought a car in Scotland in December ,i used a revoult card went through straight away

Where and what u buy there?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

I got my car about a month ago in the UK, however the dealer gave me the full V5 document, should they have posted the slip away to inform the DVLA the car has been exported?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭User1998

No it doesn’t make a difference if they do or not. They probably should have but it won’t effect you in any way

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Where and what u buy there?

Cardeal warehouse ,Newbridge scotland bought a skoda superb 2015 7500 sterling

Lads I’m going to Uk next wed for a gawk... landingbin Manchester in the wed at mid day... leaving from East Midlands on Monday morn... anyone advise me of good places/dealerships to search for the likes of a bmw/merc tourer or cheap Jeep in the vicinity of Manchester/Leeds/Nottingham ?

One more quest regarding payments... I know the two best options are either Revolut or transferwise ...

I have a standard Revolut account and a KBC bank account .... I’m planning on taking a few k out of credit union tomro in advance of next week ... just wondering how long it would take for me to transfer money from my KBC to the dealers account through transferwise if chose that option ?

And if I chose to move my credit union account money to Revolut .... would my money be safe or guaranteed? I think there’s nearly as much of a charge for transferring the money I’m considering as it is to upgrade to Revolut premium..... if I upgraded does it happen straight away or does it take time...?

Ie if I transfer 15k to Revolut basic... travel to uk... find an actual car I like ... can I change to premium there and then... and then transfer the figure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭User1998

Are you really going to the UK without even knowing what car you want? Someone may advise you on some other car supermarkets, all I know of is Car Shop in Manchester, but ideally you’d want to have picked out the cars you want beforehand and even have a deposit on one before you head over. Have a look on Autotrader and narrow the search to the locations you plan on going to.

If your using Revolut you can upgrade to a premium account for like €10/€15 or something and I think you can cancel in like 30 days and get that back. The upgrade happens straight away but why would you wait until the last minute? Just upgrade before you go. The fee is for changing € to £, not for transferring the money to the dealer. I paid £12k using my Revolut card chip and pin and it was instant. No idea about transferwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement