Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Anyone got insight as to what's gonna happen with the Sterling exchange rate in the next month or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

deandean wrote: »
    Anyone got insight as to what's gonna happen with the Sterling exchange rate in the next month or so?

I do and I'm going to make a killing..... not telling though. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Isambard wrote: »
    I do and I'm going to make a killing..... not telling though. :-)

I”ll be taking my chances on it as you couldn’t buy much at its current rate... I’m seeing numerous cases where it’s cheaper to buy here ... i assume worse case scenario it will stay at where it currently is

• Registered Users Posts: 51,119 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seriously, if we could do that then we could predict the next Euro millions lotto winning numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I can see sterling taking a nose dive for a period with protests on the streets around brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

So now that Brexit has happened, is importing cars from the UK over?

SeamusFX wrote: »
    So now that Brexit has happened, is importing cars from the UK over?

Not til the end of the year as there’s a transition period

LillySV wrote: »

So that means over the next 11 months even better opportunities await, as the GBP is due to crash!

So that means over the next 11 months even better opportunities await, as the GBP is due to crash!

I don’t know... hopefully that will be the case ... it could be the case also that extra confidence is instilled cause they managed to get it passed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

The_Fitz wrote: »

Can anyone point me in the right direction to swap the MOT? I had seen a link on this but can't find it. Think it's 15e as well. Anyway around sending a cheque as I haven't seen a cheque book in about 10 years.

Realize this is a few days old and no use now but might be of some use to someone in the future.

I went through the whole process earlier this week and I was advised to get the MOT cert in asap when VRTing the car as they seemed to think they would no longer be accepting them come Feb 1st. I just popped out to the place in citywest where you have to post them and handed it in.

Worth keeping in mind or checking with them if you are going to bring anything in over the next 11 months.

Realize this is a few days old and no use now but might be of some use to someone in the future.

I went through the whole process earlier this week and I was advised to get the MOT cert in asap when VRTing the car as they seemed to think they would no longer be accepting them come Feb 1st. I just popped out to the place in citywest where you have to post them and handed it in.

Worth keeping in mind or checking with them if you are going to bring anything in over the next 11 months.

Wouldn’t be surprised... any excuse to make more money from us ... scummy bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭User1998

I remember reading on the NCT website that they’ll no longer be accepting them. Worth a try anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Wouldn’t be surprised... any excuse to make more money from us ... scummy bastards

Think its more down to the swap being an EU policy, not an Irish one. MOTs aren't from a country in the EU any more.

Checked my Revolut a min ago and 1 euro gets you .835 pounds.... don’t think we will be getting any bargains from uk any time soon if rates stay like that ... I’d say there will be a change to that at end of year when they are actually going to properly gona leave.. then ya might work out ok

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd say there will be a weakening of sterling.
    Why would it get stronger. Type of deal is still in doubt, current pricing would appear to be based on everyone being sure of a good deal all round and little changing. When the truth of the situation starts to come out, there will surely be a massive loss of confidence. I'd rather it's stays as is the, car or no car.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Think its more down to the swap being an EU policy, not an Irish one. MOTs aren't from a country in the EU any more.

Yeah, but Leo Varadker something something

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

Has anyone ever bought a car from cargiant?
    Are the car all in good condition or is it still recommended to pay for an AA/RAC check?
    Is it recommended to pay for an AA/RAC check even if going to a main dealer in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Has anyone ever bought a car from cargiant?
    Are the car all in good condition or is it still recommended to pay for an AA/RAC check?
    Is it recommended to pay for an AA/RAC check even if going to a main dealer in the UK?

Depends on how confident you are in your ability to spot defects in a vehicle. A car history check and buying from a low miles full dealer service history car from a main dealer would definitely reduce your chance of buying a lemon but you'll paying a premium for the peace of mind. Car Giant is just another big used car sales company I'd get an inspection if I didnt know what I was looking for.

Car99 wrote: »
    Depends on how confident you are in your ability to spot defects in a vehicle. A car history check and buying from a low miles full dealer service history car would definitely reduce your chance of buying a lemon. Car Giant is just another big used car sales company I'd get an inspiration if I didnt know what I was looking for.

Well in my case I think I'll probably put down a deposit. Then fly over and buy the car. When buying the car it would be my first time seeing it in actual person.

I wouldn't be confident in my ability to spot defects apart from surface levels dents/scratches.

In my case above then is it always recommended to get an AA/RAC check even if going to a main dealer in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cargiant will have no problem retailing a rough car, but it’s reflected in the price - so if there’s 2 seemingly identical cars there and ones more expensive, there’s a reason.

Well in my case I think I'll probably put down a deposit. Then fly over and buy the car. When buying the car it would be my first time seeing it in actual person.

I wouldn't be confident in my ability to spot defects apart from surface levels dents/scratches.

In my case above then is it always recommended to get an AA/RAC check even if going to a main dealer in the UK?

I read somewhere before that the rac are best for the checks , AA aren’t as good .... could anyone clarify if this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

You don't need to put down a deposit, and they won't take one before the car is viewed.

You can reserve it 24 hours before your booked test drive, just tell them you are travelling from Ireland.

As another poster said you can tell by the price what the condition is going to be like. Steer clear of the lower prices stuff and you'll be fine.

PaulKK wrote: »
    You don't need to put down a deposit, and they won't take one before the car is viewed.

You can reserve it 24 hours before your booked test drive, just tell them you are travelling from Ireland.

As another poster said you can tell by the price what the condition is going to be like. Steer clear of the lower prices stuff and you'll be fine.

How does an RAC check work then?
    In my head it would be like the following:

-Call dealership and tell them your interested in X car. Tell them you are going to get an RAC check done

-Get RAC check done in the following days. If big issues walk away. If small issue ask dealership to fix them before you buy. I'd assume you'd have to pay a deposit if you were getting them to fix stuff.

-Fly out few days later, pay in full, drive car home.

I imagine this process would take a few days and a 24hour reserve wouldn't be long enough.

What's the actual process as it sounds like my description might be incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Is there any difference importing a car from Isle of man?

How does an RAC check work then?
    In my head it would be like the following:

-Call dealership and tell them your interested in X car. Tell them you are going to get an RAC check done

-Get RAC check done in the following days. If big issues walk away. If small issue ask dealership to fix them before you buy. I'd assume you'd have to pay a deposit if you were getting them to fix stuff.

-Fly out few days later, pay in full, drive car home.

I imagine this process would take a few days and a 24hour reserve wouldn't be long enough.

What's the actual process as it sounds like my description might be incorrect?

Any response to this?
    The 1st post of this sticky says you get an RAC check and pay a deposit before you fly over. Now I'm hearing they don't take a deposit and just do a 24hr reserve which sounds like it would be enough time to do an RAC check and fly over.
    If doing flippingcars I don't think you'd be able to get an RAC check done. They have detailed reports done already though and rank the grade of the car.
    The sticky is from 2004 so could be outdated?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Any response to this?
    The 1st post of this sticky says you get an RAC check and pay a deposit before you fly over. Now I'm hearing they don't take a deposit and just do a 24hr reserve which sounds like it would be enough time to do an RAC check and fly over.
    If doing flippingcars I don't think you'd be able to get an RAC check done. They have detailed reports done already though and rank the grade of the car.
    The sticky is from 2004 so could be outdated?

In my experience, ring the dealer, tell them you’re interested in said car and that you want to get an inspection done on it since you’re coming from Ireland. I paid a £100 deposit that would’ve been refundable if the inspection showed up anything worrying. Arranged a callback from the RAC who went over the different types of inspections they offered. They got in contact with the dealer while I was on hold on another line and arranged a time and date would suit the dealer for the inspection to go ahead.

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    In my experience, ring the dealer, tell them you’re interested in said car and that you want to get an inspection done on it since you’re coming from Ireland. I paid a £100 deposit that would’ve been refundable if the inspection showed up anything worrying. Arranged a callback from the RAC who went over the different types of inspections they offered. They got in contact with the dealer while I was on hold on another line and arranged a time and date would suit the dealer for the inspection to go ahead.

Thanks for that.
    I suppose it can vary a bit from dealer to dealer on how they handle it.
    Sounds like pick my car, call up dealer and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Thanks for that.
    I suppose it can vary a bit from dealer to dealer on how they handle it.
    Sounds like pick my car, call up dealer and go from there.

I know you mentioned a car supermarket type place, mine was a small independent dealer but he said he had dealt with people exporting to Ireland before so he knew how it worked which made it all the more simple.

Yeah, a good first step is to ring the dealer and go from there like you said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭wassie

The Pound will drop at 11.27am on 25th Feb by 15%. :P

And anyone (including me) who says otherwise is simply guessing. Sterling has been trading around its highest levels in 2 years over the last couple of months, despite uncertainty with Brexit and many forecasting a drop over the last year in this forum.
    PaulKK wrote: »

Agreed. I never put deposits - If you don't buy the car your going to have a hard time getting your cash back. Dealer knows your from over the water and your probably going to head back home soon enough. If you do, get it in writing from them that if for any reason you decide not to purchase, you unequivocally get your deposit back. Otherwise its your word against theirs on the terms of a refund.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement