Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭emo72

Phoebas wrote: »
    This must be the most halarious excuse so far. :D

ah g'wan outta dat. im no SF fanboy, but the outright hatchet job been done on them this week will win them more votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am watching six one...they are seriously running down MLM....not biased at all!

I'm not very clued in on it but how often in say the last ten years has the special criminal court been used?
    Why should things get so bad as for us to have to use it anyway? isnt it better to prevent cancer rather than having to wait until it get to such a point that any victory is only a Pyrrhic one?

Prevention would be better than cure, by this I mean, tougher sentences on the criminals. None of this, " he stabbed a guy to death while out on bail or suspended sentence holding a jacket of 60+ priors.
    People don't give a **** about the SCC, banging that drum is a real old politicians act of desperation to be honest.
    I've no issue with attacking, poking holes all day in Sinn feinn policy, I'm ambivalent about them myself like most I feel but if she turned round in the morning and said Im happy with the SCC and I'll cut the ribbon on it myself sure leo would be sayinf she's a notorious homophobic cos she hates will and grace..I mean FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

rusty cole wrote: »
    I'm not very clued in on it but how often in say the last ten years has the special criminal court been used?

Loads. We even needed to have a second entire stream of it from 2016-9 due to the case load.

Their opposition is because it was the only way to trial provos and more recently the "Good Republican" Murphy. Nothing else.

If they want to show clean hands from the old days, they need to stop that kind of crap. They also need to get beyond having the likes of Ellis, Anderson, Conor Murphy etc still as candidates/reps/front benchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

emo72 wrote: »
    ah g'wan outta dat. im no SF fanboy, but the outright hatchet job been done on them this week will win them more votes.
    You are a SF fanboy grasping at straws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

SF is toast to many of my vintage. Those younger than me who would vote for them may not bother to get out of the scratcher to do so. Talk is cheap and activism is hip.

But that is not to say I don't admire SFs ability to attract younger voters. Those who don't care about what went on before won't care of course. Target Market...Grand.

It is still there to this day though that is the problem. Army Council probably runs the show. Well you just have to look at the response from MLMD to the issue of the Special Criminal Court and the Quinn issue. It is reprehensible IMV. She is a nodding donkey to the powers that be, but talks the talk quite well. Apart from last night. No way back from that.

We can deal with all the other issues from FFG legally. But unfortunately SF will ALWAYS have a whiff of cordite around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Good.

It'll be nice to get a break from your victim-blaming sh;te for a while.

Lie. Link to me victim blaming?

Edgware wrote: »
    You are a SF fanboy grasping at straws

im just an innocent wanderer that wandered into the wrong thread:D

but jaysis, i now know how the SF fanboys feel.

Gwan de shinnerbots!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Zetor19

There is also the chance the rte bullying of sf backfires on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

[quote="jmayo;112455592"

Funny how some murders matter to the shinners and some don't.
    .[/quote]

You are attributing apathy specificly to SF supporters ?

How many mothers have buried sons where there was little to no justice?
    How many times have we ‘bemoaned the courts and their soft sentencing
    Excuses of ‘drug problems but recovering’, ‘bad backgrounds’ , early release, 100+ previous convictions, out on bail
    It’s all bullish!t and everyone knows it won’t change.
    You would swear the government and the media are paragons for justice the way theyre talking
    They don’t give a sh!te for Paul Quinn’s mother, anymore than they care for any other average Joe who is a victim of crime, that they never comment on.
    If they did there’d be a push for proper sentencing in this country.
    It’s disengenous
    This obvious bullish!t is doing as much for SF as was done for Trump and Brexit.
    I’m not a SF/FG/FF etc supporter, just a realist.

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    im just an innocent wanderer that wandered into the wrong thread:D

but jaysis, i now know how the SF fanboys feel.

Gwan de shinnerbots!

Some of us just want rid of FF/FG :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Zetor19 wrote: »
    Mary Lou calmly dug a hole of her own making and jumped into it. New definition of bullying to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There’s no bullying going on - well apart from in SF there a few years back. If anyone suspects that our national broadcaster is being partisan then there’s a broadcasting commission you can complain to.

It’s complete nonsense of course. This is a topical issue and is getting the coverage across the media that it deserves. If that annoys SF then so be it.

that'd be me too.

Lie. Link to me victim blaming?

Eg, about an hour ago where you said Quinn wasn’t going to a study group when he went to meet his death at the hands of a bunch of psychopaths.

My word. Really.

gmisk wrote: »
    I am watching six one...they are seriously running down MLM....not biased at all!

Quelle surprise. Many within RTE are uncomfortably close to the political establishment, including Miriam O'Callaghan who carefully orchestrated the takedown last night. The Shinners being near top of the polls have rattled the cage, and now must be treated as devious upstarts with aspirations above their station. Don't expect any impartiality from Independent News & Media, the attacks will be relentless until Joe Public gets the tailored message.

Lackey wrote: »
    You are attributing apathy specificly to SF supporters ?

How many mothers have buried sons where there was little to no justice?
    How many times have we ‘bemoaned the courts and their soft sentencing
    Excuses of ‘drug problems but recovering’, ‘bad backgrounds’ , early release, 100+ previous convictions, out on bail
    It’s all bullish!t and everyone knows it won’t change.
    You would swear the government and the media are paragons for justice the way theyre talking
    They don’t give a sh!te for Paul Quinn’s mother, anymore than they care for any other average Joe who is a victim of crime, that they never comment on.
    If they did there’d be a push for proper sentencing in this country.
    It’s disengenous
    This obvious bullish!t is doing as much for SF as was done for Trump and Brexit.
    I’m not a SF/FG/FF etc supporter, just a realist.

you are aware of FG or FF or any other party other than SF with close links to paramilitary/crime organisations that kill people?

to individuals like slab murphy?

that send their elected officials to pick up killers from prison?

do tell, this stuff sounds like dynamite (oops)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Ferm001

Agree with this. the most outraged people are those who would never vote for SF no matter what.
    Going by street interviews today, people want the past left in the past, and are more concerned by the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

For someone that just wants to get rid of FF/FG you have spent an inordinate amount of time of late pushing the SF party line around here.

Also when someone of possibly a sinn fein background speaks of wanting to be rid of people, some people of an older generation might remember how sinn fein's friends in PIRA got "rid" of people.

Quelle surprise. Many within RTE are uncomfortably close to the political establishment, including Miriam O'Callaghan who carefully orchestrated the takedown last night. The Shinners being near top of the polls have rattled the cage, and now must be treated as devious upstarts with aspirations above their station. Don't expect any impartiality from Independent News & Media, the attacks will be relentless until Joe Public gets the tailored message.

That’s real tinfoil hat stuff, Bertie. There’s no concerted effort to keep the poor old principled Shinners out. If you have evidence to the contrary, including how Miriam was biased last night then I suggest you put your complaint in writing and post it to:

Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, 2 - 5 Warrington Place, Dublin D02 XP29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

SF may win 30-40 seats, I don't care much really. Last time I looked this is a democracy.

But despite the failings of the current crop of FF/FG and they are many indeed, I fail to see how SF will improve anything apart from getting rid of the SCC to help their mates. It is a big thing for me. ML was on the ropes about that, why? because SF is ruled by the Army Council who do not like the idea of us banging up their terrorists.

Gangland crims go to the SCC. It is all about potential intimidation of witnessess. Go figure.

Eg, about an hour ago where you said Quinn wasn’t going to a study group when he went to meet his death at the hands of a bunch of psychopaths.

My word. Really.

I was inferring he was a criminal. That's not victim blaming, it's supporting the idea he was a criminal. Should I pretend I don't think he was a criminal? He didn't deserve to be killed.

wot wot.

jmayo wrote: »

For someone that just wants to get rid of FF/FG you have spent an inordinate amount of time of late pushing the SF party line around here.

Also when someone of possibly a sinn fein background speaks of wanting to be rid of people, some people of an older generation might remember how sinn fein's friends in PIRA got "rid" of people.

Not really. If you lads were kicking up stink about PBP and PBP were leading in the polls, likely nobody would be talking about SF including myself. Who ever looks like getting FF/FG out and has building social housing as a policy, gets my support.

Now you're just talking shi*te. FG just leave them die on a trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

Ferm001 wrote: »
    Agree with this. the most outraged people are those who would never vote for SF no matter what.
    Going by street interviews today, people want the past left in the past, and are more concerned by the future.
    the folks stuck in rental hell, the people marching today and other such folk couldnt care less about what happened in another country in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭flutered

jmayo wrote: »

buit they do know why the provos came into existance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭skinny90

smurgen wrote: »
    Two thousand people protesting about childcare in Dublin today. Yet government and RTE fail to acknowledge this.

Not sure what can be done here really. Once you have a System which is completely funded into private hands when it comes to the running of such services it’s very hard to change this. The issues raised from the protest form from crèche:preschool owners taking the funding and providing such services that meats the minimum requirements according to Tusla and other main bodies...if your going to make a business model for private hands to profit directly from the funding received then your going to have such issues ie works getting paid peanuts and temp contracts etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The lad was hardly off to study group when he met with these criminals. Anyway it'll fall out of the news cycle and the minds of FF/FG after the weekend.
    Your post is actually an insult to genuine SF supporters and sums up why SF find it so difficult to attract ordinary decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,604 ✭✭✭✭elperello

flutered wrote: »
    the folks stuck in rental hell, the people marching today and other such folk couldnt care less about what happened in another country in the past

What other country?

Your post is actually an insult to genuine SF supporters and sums up why SF find it so difficult to attract ordinary decent people.

How so? If SF changed their housing policy tomorrow they'd lose my vote. When people get killed or die it's sad. In this case it has zero bearing on my vote.
    I'd expect more valid abuse for having voted FG previously or Labour, but hey, it's SF putting the wind up for now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

How so? If SF changed their housing policy tomorrow they'd lose my vote. When people get killed or die it's sad. In this case it has zero bearing on my vote.
    I'd expect more valid abuse for having voted FG previously or Labour, but hey, it's SF putting the wind up for now.

In fairness your post is clear evidence why SF are so dangerous. If they have the ability to normalise and trivialise the killing of people in this country they can only ever be a danger.

Advertisement