Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Consider how long it took other characters to find their feet. There's no reason why Pulaski couldn't have found her own groove in time, and become an integral part of the character dynamic. The crew needed, if not an antagonist, then the dissenting view. Technically that should be the First Officer, but the Bones stand in would have worked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I thought she had a certain potential. Diana Muldaur is a fine actress and would have been interesting to see her relationship with Data develop as it became more apparent that he was a person and not just a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,605 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Should the Enterprise have had two main docters then. Surely a ship as big as a Galaxy clsss would have had more than one doctor and maybe there could have been room for both of them on it as the two main doctors on the ship. Maybe one does the night shift and one does the day shift.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

One Chief Medical Officer though

Had the timing worked out, they could have had her reporting to the EMH :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

AMKC wrote: »
    Anyone here ever think that season two of TNG would have been better and maybe even slightly different if Beverly Crusher had of been there? I never liked Dr Palaski myself.

She was a bigger weapon than all the phaser banks put together!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Watched DS9 "For The Cause" recently. I remember it all well enough but one thing really hit me that I don't think I ever fully appreciated. Kassidy Yates betrays Ben, aids the maquis, comes back to face prison in the hope that their love can continue and despite it all, Ben wants to too. Maybe I was too young previously to fully get it. The moment she arrives back to the station to explain herself and get arrested is a lovely scene between the two of them.

Yet he commits a war crime and poisons a planet chasing one man for betraying him.

Ms

Yet he commits a war crime and poisons a planet chasing one man for betraying him.

But that one man betrayed the Uniform and to be fair Sisko did warn the Maquis inhapitants on that planet.

I think that was Sisko on the ragged edge and then gone over it a bit.

Here it is anyway,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcAbI-4_io

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It matters not one bit if he gave warning he used a bio agent on a planet populated by civilians. Pure war crime, he was way beyond the edge.

And Sisko took it personally, he didn't go so mental with his old buddy. I love DS9, it's my favourite by far but the writers went way too far on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It matters not one bit if he gave warning he used a bio agent on a planet populated by civilians. Pure war crime, he was way beyond the edge.

And Sisko took it personally, he didn't go so mental with his old buddy. I love DS9, it's my favourite by far but the writers went way too far on this one

Being pedantic, the Federation doesn't recognise the Maquis as a state so there can't be war therefor no war crimes :p

In that episode the Maquis poison a planet causing all Cardassians to leave so at the end of episode its stated the Cardassians and Maquis switched planets so everything was a-ok in the end...

Starfleet probably reprimanded Sisko but were happy to overlook it as he captured Eddington and crippled the Maquis.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Being pedantic, the Federation doesn't recognise the Maquis as a state so there can't be war therefor no war crimes :p

In that episode the Maquis poison a planet causing all Cardassians to leave so at the end of episode its stated the Cardassians and Maquis switched planets so everything was a-ok in the end...

Starfleet probably reprimanded Sisko but were happy to overlook it as he captured Eddington and crippled the Maquis.

Civil War and Rebellion are counted in War Crime statute, Maquis were Federation citizens in a state of rebellion.

Saying that one side committed a crime is no defense to targetting a civilian population and using bioweapons

If the Federation looked the other way then the federation is quite hypocritical, to say the least.

Remember though, Sisko gave his partner a complete pass on all this. (and somehow he was allowed to continue a relationship with her too???)

Nah that storyline was horribly concluded

Ms

So if you were in charge of the Enterprise when it encountered the Borg what would you have done? Also do you think Guinan gave Picard bad advice when she said defend yourself? If they had of just moved away under thrusters maybe the Borg would not have noticed them. They was no way do Picard and crew to know this at the time.

If it was me in charge of it I would have let rip all phasers and photon torpedos when they had done damage already. We all know that its too late when they do finally decide to fire a few at it.

Also do you think the 18 people that went missing were assimalted by the Borg?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Also do you think Guinan gave Picard bad advice when she said defend yourself?

Interesting actually, since Guinan knew that Picard would survive either way, since she had not met him yet in the 19th century with Mark Twain.
    If it was me in charge of it I would have let rip all phasers and photon torpedos when they had done damage already. We all know that its too late when they do finally decide to fire a few at it.

Suppose just not the Starfleet way to fire, fire, fire, fire. But id probably blast all the borg parts away!

Id say they were. Examine their memories and thoughts, get an idea of Humanities strengths, weaknesses, technological level, culture level, etc.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Rawr

So if you were in charge of the Enterprise when it encountered the Borg what would you have done? Also do you think Guinan gave Picard bad advice when she said defend yourself? If they had of just moved away under thrusters maybe the Borg would not have noticed them. They was no way do Picard and crew to know this at the time.

Ignoring any influence from the Borg Queen, I always imagined the Borg going though a set inspection check-list of anything that catches their eye.

When the Enterprise suddenly turns up in System J-25 that Cube was probably patrolling the area and was already interested in this advanced vessel that had just appeared out of nowhere. So regardless I feel that they'd have to deal with that Cube sooner or later, especially if J-25 is within Borg Space. I don't think they could have escaped the Borg's attention thanks to the way they arrived, and that might have been Q's plan all along. Q couldn't really make his point to Picard if he had simply evaded the Borg for 2 years and got back home the old fashioned way.

As for the 18 crew members. I has also wondered if they had been assimilated. My guess is that they did actually die, since the Borg only appeared to apply a tractor beam to the segment they cut out. Without force-fields those crew would have been long dead by the time that segment arrived in the Cube.

Rawr wrote: »
    Ignoring any influence from the Borg Queen, I always imagined the Borg going th

When the Enterprise suddenly turns up in System J-25 that Cube was probably patrolling the area and was already interested in this advanced vessel that had just appeared out of nowhere. So regardless I feel that they'd have to deal with that Cube sooner or later, especially if J-25 is within Borg Space.

Don't think it was in Borg space. I think it was a ship on a long range exploration mission. 2 and a half years warp travel (not sure what that was in light years, 2 - 3 thousand?) from Federation space would be nowhere near Borg space in the Delta quadrant.

As an aside, despite Voyager's retcon mess with the Hansens, I don't think the Borg had assimilated transwarp technology at that point. So at somewhat faster than Enterprise-D warp speed, the same cube would have arrived at Earth in time for "Best of both worlds". Had they transwarp at the time, the Borg could have instantly followed up with a fleet of ships after the lone cube failed.
    As for the 18 crew members. I has also wondered if they had been assimilated. My guess is that they did actually die, since the Borg only appeared to apply a tractor beam to the segment they cut out. Without force-fields those crew would have been long dead by the time that segment arrived in the Cube.

Farscape taught me that a human can survive in the vacuum space for 90 seconds ;) There's a pretty cool scene in Season 2 where Crichton is left with no other choice but to jump between two ships through space and survives. I googled and apparently it is scientifically accurate: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/ . Wouldn't be the most pleasant experience but I imagine there was enough there for the Borg to salvage when the piece arrived on board.

I thought the J-25 was a cube already in its ways to Earth because of the assimilated ship Captain Archer destroyed with the NX Enterprise got off a signal first. (which was from the Borg who survived the Sphere destruction in First Contact.

I thought the J-25 was a cube already in its ways to Earth because of the assimilated ship Captain Archer destroyed with the NX Enterprise got off a signal first. (which was from the Borg who survived the Sphere destruction in First Contact.

Yeah, wasn't Q basically giving them a bit of advance notice of the impending doom?
    Or course the Borg were going to investigate a more advanced signal.

All one big retcon but closed to loop as to how the Borg had a single vessel so close to Earth, outside their space, and not assimilating as they went.

Ms

Ignoring any influence from the Borg Queen, I always imagined the Borg going though a set inspection check-list of anything that catches their eye.

When the Enterprise suddenly turns up in System J-25 that Cube was probably patrolling the area and was already interested in this advanced vessel that had just appeared out of nowhere. So regardless I feel that they'd have to deal with that Cube sooner or later, especially if J-25 is within Borg Space. I don't think they could have escaped the Borg's attention thanks to the way they arrived, and that might have been Q's plan all along. Q couldn't really make his point to Picard if he had simply evaded the Borg for 2 years and got back home the old fashioned way.

Good point about the Borg and how the Enterprise just turned up out of nowhere.

As for the 18 crew I think they were assimaleted. I think the Borg tractor beam could have been an advanced beam that kept the atmosphere in the section of the ship as it was being brought over to the Cube.

More because of the signal that ship sent no doubt.
    Stark wrote: »
    Don't think it was in Borg space. I think it was a ship on a long range exploration mission. 2 and a half years warp travel (not sure what that was in light years, 2 - 3 thousand?) from Federation space would be nowhere near Borg space in the Delta quadrant.

As an aside, despite Voyager's retcon mess with the Hansens, I don't think the Borg had assimilated transwarp technology at that point. So at somewhat faster than Enterprise-D warp speed, the same cube would have arrived at Earth in time for "Best of both worlds". Had they transwarp at the time, the Borg could have instantly followed up with a fleet of ships after the lone cube failed.

Farscape taught me that a human can survive in the vacuum space for 90 seconds ;) There's a pretty cool scene in Season 2 where Crichton is left with no other choice but to jump between two ships through space and survives. I googled and apparently it is scientifically accurate: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/ . Wouldn't be the most pleasant experience but I imagine there was enough there for the Borg to salvage when the piece arrived on board.

I think it was a ship on a long range exploration mission. 2 and a half years warp travel (not sure what that was in light years, 2 - 3 thousand?) from Federation space
    Definitly not in Borg space.

It was 7 thousand light years from Federation space. Not that far away really. I am actually surprised that the Federation did not have probes out that far.

I don't think the Borg had assimilated transwarp technology at that point.

I agree with you on the transwarp technology as well. They must have assimaleted that sometime after the Enterprise met that firsr Cube and during the time of Voyager or maybe just before it.
    Yeah, wasn't Q basically giving them a bit of advance notice of the impending doom?
    Or course the Borg were going to investigate a more advanced signal.

All one big retcon but closed to loop as to how the Borg had a single vessel so close to Earth, outside their space, and not assimilating as they went.

Maybe it was assimalating worlds along its way. The Romulans and the Federation could not have known it was the Borg that stripped the colonys along the neutral zone and maybe that Borg ship also assimalated the colony's inhapitants too. I do wonder could there have been a second Borg ship along there and maybe the Cube Picard and crew met is not the same Borg ship that done that because if it was then why would it be 2 years away again all of a sudden?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I am actually surprised that the Federation did not have probes out that far.

Maybe it was assimalating worlds along its way. The Romulans and the Federation could not have known it was the Borg that stripped the colonys along the neutral zone and maybe that Borg ship also assimalated the colony's inhapitants too. I do wonder could there have been a second Borg ship along there and maybe the Cube Picard and crew met is not the same Borg ship that done that because if it was then why would it be 2 years away again all of a sudden?

Don't think about point 1: Nearly all of Trek falls apart at this, in terms of new huge races just appearing. The El'Aurians knew about the Borg but never told the rescuing Federation etc etc.

Don't think about point 2: Borg should be growing exponentially and just devouring the galaxy, not this measured slow growth. Voyager again here.

• Advertisement

Don't think about point 2: Borg should be growing exponentially and just devouring the galaxy, not this measured slow growth. Voyager again here.

Yeah I had a rather long winded post on why Borg post "Q Who"/"Best of Both Worlds" made no sense but abandoned it. Long story short, once they acquired transwarp capability, the game should have been over for the Federation.

:p
    Yeah I had a rather long winded post on why Borg post "Q Who"/"Best of Both Worlds" made no sense but abandoned it. Long story short, once they acquired transwarp capability, the game should have been over for the Federation.

I kind of felt this too. After BofBW the Borg should have adapted to realise that one lone Cube, although effective, wouldn't be enough to pull off an invasion of Earth.

The second time around they should have sent a least 2 Cubes instead of just another lone cube. Sure, they have a "cunning plan" to rewrite history, but since one cube is enough to decimate a whole fleet of Federation vessels, imagine what 2 could do! Push that up to 10 Cubes in formation and the whole Federation is just toast. Picard's inside knowledge wouldn't help against that many Cubes at once.

My only guess for the reason why the Borg hadn't already overrun the Federation is due to A) Plot convience and B) the show's budget.

Picard did however say something in First Contact that suggested that the conflict with the Borg was larger than shown on screen:

Picard: I will not sacrifice the Enterprise. We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And *I* will make them pay for what they've done!

I often felt that line to mean that the Federation is often in contact with a creeping Borg Invasion out on its outer rim, with the occasional attempt at a "Killer Punch" into the core of the Federation (Earth). In addition, Voyager's Endgame finale suggests that the Borg can only travel Transwarp via their exisiting galactic network. This might present some kind of limitation to what kind of long-distance invasion they can mount.

b8a01cc85e2fb4683f936ea119dc39c4.jpg

According to some maps I've seen of the Star Trek galaxy, Borg space mostly fills the Delta Quadrant with an arm of their Space creeping "South" though the Beta Quadrant and towards Romunan Space. Their home space hasn't reach the Federation yet, which might limit them (they might need ready access to resources on an attack mission, where they might not be able to count on worlds to assimilate).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Borg suffer from the same problem as Superman, only reverse. By all accounts the writers created a character that was simply so powerful, there should be no conceivable way either would ever be defeated, or even obstructed. With Superman they have to either de-power him, or threaten those around him. The Borg could do with some naturally limiting concept, something that prevents their limitless expansion. Like they can't stray too far from some central point, that kind of thing...

Interesting that Romulan space is the closest to Borg space. Kind of confirms theories that the Romulans had interactions with them before Starfleet.
    Rawr wrote:
    Sure, they have a "cunning plan" to rewrite history,

That was part of my long winded post ;) That plan made no sense. It made sense for them to assimilate 24th century Earth as its technology, experiences and species diversity would have greatly added to the Collective. Instead, they chose to assimilate a primitive 21st century version of Earth, losing out on hundreds of years of advancement. Humans on their own aren't particularly distinctive. No reason for the Borg to go to all that effort for human bodies and nothing else.

Interesting that Romulan space is the closest to Borg space. Kind of confirms theories that the Romulans had interactions with them before Starfleet.

Which is why I often feel that the "Matters more urgent caused our absence" line in TNG: The Neutral Zone referred specifically to the Romulans dealing with the Borg. Really interested to see if ST: Picard will confirm this :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    The Borg suffer from the same problem as Superman, only reverse. By all accounts the writers created a character that was simply so powerful, there should be no conceivable way either would ever be defeated, or even obstructed. With Superman they have to either de-power him, or threaten those around him. The Borg could do with some naturally limiting concept, something that prevents their limitless expansion. Like they can't stray too far from some central point, that kind of thing...

Hmmm. Could the Borg assimilate Superman?

They'd need kryptonite nanoprobes but that might end up killing him in the process. Or maybe just kryptonite assimilation tubules if you go with the "skin deep energy field" theory for Superman's invulnerability (one of the theories used to explain why his clothes don't get ripped to shreds. competing theory being that his suit was made from Kryptonian materials).

Hmmm. Could the Borg Batman assimilate Superman?

FYP :D

FYP :D

The Batcube!

• Advertisement

r-batman-the-batmobile-wont-start-check-the-battery-whats-60057016.png

Advertisement