Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I liked kid Jake too; he was a bit of a drip, and his dialogue hinted at writers who had no idea how to write children, but wasn't an insufferable genius or overly obnoxious. And I liked the chemistry between him & Sisko, Avery Brooks' ... "unconventional" acting gave the relationship a tactile warmth you almost never see with parent-child acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

pixelburp wrote: »
    I liked kid Jake too; he was a bit of a drip, and his dialogue hinted at writers who had no idea how to write children, but wasn't an insufferable genius or overly obnoxious. And I liked the chemistry between him & Sisko, Avery Brooks' ... "unconventional" acting gave the relationship a tactile warmth you almost never see with parent-child acting.

+1!

Jake was a good character, well played by Cirroc Lofton, and that father/son relationship was one of – if not the – best and most interesting family relationships in Star Trek.

Nothing at all wrong with Jake, or Nog. Fantastic character arcs for both of them throughout the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Evade

Early Jake was barely a character he was just a device to give Sisko more depth by being a dad. He's only in 71 out of 173 episodes too. That has to be the lowest proportion of appearances by someone listed in the opening credits of any Star Trek.

Evade wrote: »
    Early Jake was barely a character he was just a device to give Sisko more depth by being a dad. He's only in 71 out of 173 episodes too. That has to be the lowest proportion of appearances by someone listed in the opening credits of any Star Trek.

I wished that they had pushed his reporting a bit more, have him on the front lines (with a crazy worried Sisko there too)

The writers may have not known how to write for a child but they certainly did not have a clue what to do with the adult Jake, as a character.
    I liked Jake and Lofton played him very well but telling that the best Jake episode was with Tony Todd

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I wished that they had pushed his reporting a bit more, have him on the front lines (with a crazy worried Sisko there too)

The writers may have not known how to write for a child but they certainly did not have a clue what to do with the adult Jake, as a character.
    I liked Jake and Lofton played him very well but telling that the best Jake episode was with Tony Todd

Well, that's like saying "sher the best Picard episode with a flute is "The Inner Light"". They are some of the best episodes of Trek ever. Two of my favourites.

But, I actually pretty much liked Jake and Nog throughout. Especially as they got older: A great evolution of Nog's character. While I initially didn't buy his sudden interest in joining Starfleet, when he did join I thought his arc was brilliantly planned and acted.

• Advertisement

Well, that's like saying "sher the best Picard episode with a flute is "The Inner Light"". They are some of the best episodes of Trek ever. Two of my favourites.

But, I actually pretty much liked Jake and Nog throughout. Especially as they got older: A great evolution of Nog's character. While I initially didn't buy his sudden interest in joining Starfleet, when he did join I thought his arc was brilliantly planned and acted.

Yes and no, yes in that they took a character and gave him a one off. No in that Picard was the same character we knew but Jake was a character (played by a different actor) from an alternative timeline where the character was completely changed by the event of losing his father.

It was a great Jake episode (the best I think) but adds to the fact that the young adult Jake stagnated and could have had so much more to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I think they handled that pretty well in the episode itself as far as I recall, with a sceptical Sisko questioning and challenging him at every turn.

Turned out he just didn't want to end up like his dad chasing profit in his uncle's bar for the rest of his life, and having spent the last few years on a Federation-run station and with his best friend being the son of a Starfleet Commander/Captain, you can see how a young lad would realise there's more out there.

I quite like that it was his decision to join Starfleet that in turn inspired Rom to become an engineer and ultimately become confident enough to end up with Leeta (lucky sod!) :D

It's here! :D ... So shiny! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Rawr

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Looks lovely. Now don't go swinging your phaser-rifle around near it...

FavorableFluidIrishwaterspaniel-max-1mb.gif

'Cause you'll break your little ship....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha. That moment always bothered me, in a totally pedantic, film nerd way, cos I was never sure what action Picard was trying to do. I get he was enraged and lashed out but he kinda swung his arms out deliberately. Felt like the script wanted the glass to be shattered but couldn't work out how Picard might do it, so they went for that ungainly, contrived "I am angry! Let me swing my heavy gun over in THIS direction!!!"

• Advertisement

It's either not Stewart or he's wearing eye protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Rawr

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ha. That moment always bothered me, in a totally pedantic, film nerd way, cos I was never sure what action Picard was trying to do. I get he was enraged and lashed out but he kinda swung his arms out deliberately. Felt like the script wanted the glass to be shattered but couldn't work out how Picard might do it, so they went for that ungainly, contrived "I am angry! Let me swing my heavy gun over in THIS direction!!!"

I kinda felt that they were going for some kind of *dramatic symbolism*! in that one, especially since you'll notice it's only the Enterprise D slipping out of its holder.

Lilly: You broke your little ship.

Picard: No the Duras Sisters broke than one, and Troi finished her off...

Rawr wrote: »
    I kinda felt that they were going for some kind of *dramatic symbolism*! in that one, especially since you'll notice it's only the Enterprise D slipping out of its holder.

Oh yeah, it was totally a symbolic Captain Ahab style moment, it's just the manner they did it felt so clunky and awkward. "I'm so outraged! I'm going to swing my arms and clumsily thunk this cupboard just outside my reach!" :D

Like, if he had a tricorder in his hand, and at his outburst, flung it at the glass case in frustration, THAT would have worker better and felt a more natural physical response. Just robbed the scene a little of its dramatic catharsis.

Man, I'm really focusing on the key issues here lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,242 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Rawr wrote: »

He nearly breaks the next one by ramming it into a Romulan Scimitar vessel!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,695 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thats stunning. Did you buy it when it was on sale or pay the full price? I don't buy that many now but buy the odd one when they are on sale. Am wishing I bought that one now lol.

AMKC wrote: »
    Thats stunning. Did you buy it when it was on sale or pay the full price? I don't buy that many now but buy the odd one when they are on sale. Am wishing I bought that one now lol.

You should see my room..... I've...... far.... far..... tooooo many.
    Including some of the BSG stuff!

Ms

You should see my room..... I've...... far.... far..... tooooo many.
    Including some of the BSG stuff!

Only recently got the original Battlestar Galactica myself and have the Cylon Basestar already. Have always wanted the Galactica as I never got to have a model of it.

Sure i have a lot of the Star Trek ones too but am quit picky now although I also ordered a few of the same by mistake. It will not happen again do as I have a list of everyone I have now lol. Must of them are very good and some excellent althought I did get one that had a broken nacelle and was very dissapointed with that so it put me off Eaglemoss for a while.

Only recently got the original Battlestar Galactica myself and have the Cylon Basestar already. Have always wanted the Galactica as I never got to have a model of it.

Sure i have a lot of the Star Trek ones too but am quit picky now although I also ordered a few of the same by mistake. It will not happen again do as I have a list of everyone I have now lol. Must of them are very good and some excellent althought I did get one that had a broken nacelle and was very dissapointed with that so it put me off Eaglemoss for a while.

I like the quality of Eaglemoss but their customer service is shocking and delivery of goods is absolutely shocking.

Ms

I like the quality of Eaglemoss but their customer service is shocking and delivery of goods is absolutely shocking.

Oh I agree. I actually think your better if your nor registered with them. I had to wait 3 months for one order but thanfully most of my oher orders have been delivered in a fairly resonable time.

Preordered it. Had to chase them up about it, but it shipped about a day after I mailed them.

It's gorgeous. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Section 31 officially starts filming on May 20th, and goes through to November.

Spear wrote: »

Not at all excited for this one to be honest. Discovery overplayed them completely (it's a bit like how people complain that Voyager ruined the Borg), and turning them into basically Starfleet's Obsidian Order was a mistake.

I much prefer the DS9 portrayal as a shadowy, small but highly effective and dedicated group that is unknown to 99% of the quadrant - they even seemed to be unknown to the Romulan's Tal Shiar until Bashir exposed their existence.

I'm fairly ambivalent, but will remain open to the idea they could do something interesting. One presumes this will set itself on the fringes of Federation or known space, with the Section 31 drawing between the lines to further Fed. interests.

My guess is that our main cast will be confronted with a scheme simply TOO dastardly ordered by Section 31 heads, and the plot will consist of this conscientious officer bucking the system and fighting the Good Fight. Probably involving a Road to Damascus moment, featuring the destruction of a town / settlement of innocents. Never underestimate the temptation of a good cliché :D

Ms

Spear wrote: »

Seen that alright but was not sure if it ws true or not. TBH I would have much preferred to see the Captain Pike show next.
    Not at all excited for this one to be honest. Discovery overplayed them completely (it's a bit like how people complain that Voyager ruined the Borg), and turning them into basically Starfleet's Obsidian Order was a mistake.

I much prefer the DS9 portrayal as a shadowy, small but highly effective and dedicated group that is unknown to 99% of the quadrant - they even seemed to be unknown to the Romulan's Tal Shiar until Bashir exposed their existence.

Well it will either be CBS'S first big flop of the new trek shows or it will be a surprise hit and surprise us all. However like you I am not at all excited for this.
    I think this is like the ''Solo'' Star Wars film except this is a series no one really asked for or wanted.

Well it will either be CBS'S first big flop of the new trek shows or it will be a surprise hit and surprise us all. However like you I am not at all excited for this.
    I think this is like the ''Solo'' Star Wars film except this is a series no one really asked for or wanted.

Except that Solo and Rogue One have been the better of the new Wars films!

Ms

Oh I agree I enjoyed both of them. I had no problem with them been made.

I was just saying that Section 31 is a series that no one into Star Trek has asked for as we mostly all preferred the way they were prtrayed on DS9 not the way they are on Discovery where everyone knows about them.

Rogue One has the best Star Wars fleet battle and makes it all the more disappointing we'll probably never see a Rogue Squadron series. Wedge being a gunner in his last movie cameo not a starfighter pilot was all sorts of wrong too.

That last scene in Rogue One....

Ms

Anyone here ever think that season two of TNG would have been better and maybe even slightly different if Beverly Crusher had of been there? I never liked Dr Palaski myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone here ever think that season two of TNG would have been better and maybe even slightly different if Beverly Crusher had of been there? I never liked Dr Palaski myself.

Hmm... interesting angle. I never warmed to Dr Pulaski as a character but I thought she made for a better dramatic foil than Dr Crusher, who seemed to come across as something of a lightweight on that front in how she was written. Although she was very good in her scenes with Picard. So I think Pulaski brought more to Season Two, though overall it was good that Beverly came back and had a better character arc.

edit Pulaski was very good in Elementary Dear Data but I am remembering she was the main character in Unnatural Selection which I thought was v poor

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement