Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

pixelburp wrote: »
    unless they're the kind of person that pines for the zero-budget days of SciFi, which I have seen from time to time.

Sure enough.

Inviere wrote: »
    Sure enough.

Time to time?
    It killed Enterprise before debut and used all over to attack Discovery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Is it actual shoestring SFX people have been looking for or not using good SFX to plaster over bad everything else?

As far as I could see no one wanted cardboard sets and all that for STD, or Enterprise for that matter. People wanted what we eventually got in the Enterprise sets and costumes on STD a faithful update.

Evade wrote: »
    Is it actual shoestring SFX people have been looking for or not using good SFX to plaster over bad everything else?

As far as I could see no one wanted cardboard sets and all that for STD, or Enterprise for that matter. People wanted what we eventually got in the Enterprise sets and costumes on STD a faithful update.

Oh no, there was uproar from the vocal minority even about flat screen monitors in ENT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Oh no, there was uproar from the vocal minority even about flat screen monitors in ENT
    But that's not bemoaning having an SFX budget.

The argument put forward was there are people who want Star Trek, or at least everything that takes place before TOS, to have that low budget look but I've never seen that. I have seen people complain that certain things look needlessly flashy, the inner structure of the Discovery is a good example, or don't fit with other previously established things and then others respond with "it's not the 60s anymore."

• Advertisement

Evade wrote: »
    But that's not bemoaning having an SFX budget.

The argument put forward was there are people who want Star Trek, or at least everything that takes place before TOS, to have that low budget look but I've never seen that. I have seen people complain that certain things look needlessly flashy, the inner structure of the Discovery is a good example, or don't fit with other previously established things and then others respond with "it's not the 60s anymore."

Ah lad they were, the said that Ent set looked too modern and too advanced to be a prequel and where were the cassettes and switches. They wanted TOS everything. 20 years ago now but it was a constant nagging on fora of the day. If it didn't look lije TOS (or worse) it was an abomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ah lad they were, the said that Ent set looked too modern and too advanced to be a prequel and where were the cassettes and switches. They wanted TOS everything. 20 years ago now but it was a constant nagging on fora of the day. If it didn't look lije TOS (or worse) it was an abomination.

Which is a shame because the NX class was a good precursor to the Constitution class. And the NX-Refit we would supposedly have seen in Season Six would have been class.

NX
    350?cb=20120330012556&path-prefix=en

NX Refit

b378b3d06a4545a55bded6edb606512e.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Which is a shame because the NX class was a good precursor to the Constitution class. And the NX-Refit we would supposedly have seen in Season Six would have been class.

NX
    350?cb=20120330012556&path-prefix=en

NX Refit

b378b3d06a4545a55bded6edb606512e.jpg

It would have been season 5 actually when we would have seen the refit NX Class ship.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

But you ALWAYS have this element. It usually goes away if you make a quality show. If the acting is good, if the writing is good, if it engages people then the griping about minutia that ultimately doesn't matter goes away.

Doesn't anyone remember GINO? Galictica In Name Only? There was uproar from the original fans when the show was reported to be rebooted. Complained about everything. Starbuck is a woman? Say it isn't so! And they had traction.

But then the show aired. And it was excellent. And people watched it. And the group was ignored and eventually disappeared. Because the crap that people complained about doesn't matter in the make-up of a great show. Nobody cared that the cylons didn't look the same anymore. Or that the show wasn't camp anymore. Or that Starbuck was a woman. I mean, all these things were true but it didn't matter because the production quality was excellent.

Enterprise didn't suffer for the first couple of seasons because the bridge looked too modern. It suffered because the writing was patchy and it had several poor actors on it that should have been killed off and weren't. It was in a bad time slot, on a failing network with a horrid intro song.

Discovery is unpopular for similar reasons and the writers don't seem to understand the reasons. Talking about how being a prequel show is the problem and hurdling them into the 29th century is freeing and will fix the show........is nonsense.

The 29th centruy wont fix the issue of zero character development of most of the cast.
    It won't fix the colossal Mary Sue that is the main character and the lack of acting ability sonequa martin-green possesses.
    It won't fix the erratic and downright spastic storytelling.

You could set the show in whatever time or universe you wanted. Itchy and Scratchy nerds will always gripe and moan about small, inconsequential stuff like timeline inconsistencies or continuity problems but if you make a great show....nobody else will care.

Discovery isn't a good enough show to stop people noticing and talking about this stuff.

I did like how they worked the original Basestars and original Cylons into the rebooted BSG.

Also, I think the show is getting rebooted again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I did like how they worked the original Basestars and original Cylons into the rebooted BSG.

Also, I think the show is getting rebooted again.

Yeah, Sam Esmail (Mr. Robot / Homecoming) is apparently creating a new series; scuttlebutt suggested it won't be a total reboot, that it might even be adjacent to the events of the original reboot. There was also a movie in the works, but I imagine that's now put to pasture in favour of this new show.

BSG is such an action heavy show that it would lend itself to a stand alone short form film along with a series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

AMKC wrote: »
    It would have been season 5 actually when we would have seen the refit NX Class ship.

Was there a season 5 planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The must have had more seasons planned. The crammed way too much for one season into the last one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

368100 wrote: »
    Was there a season 5 planned?

Yeah, they planned to do more with the Human/Vulcan relations, and early conflict with the Romulans:

https://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/08/14/star-trek-enterprise-season-5/

They had already started planning it, and the cancellation was unexpected. Hence the series finale was such a cack handed mess.

IIRC it should not have been cancelled, they misread the ratings in all the network upheaval

• Registered Users Posts: 28,060 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Season 4 of Enterprise - well, I thought that's what the series should have been all along. I would have really liked to see what they would have done with another (similar) season.

I followed up the story in the Romulan War books which I thought were superior for the Trek novels range but TV series would have been better :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I know some people thing season 3 and the Xindi was too military-esque for trek but I really enjoyed it. I found season 3 and 4 more enjoyable than 1 and 2. It still had issues but it didn't deserve the axe. And that finalé......yikes.

One thing with season 3 was the first true serialised Trek and it was 15 years too early for audiences IMHO

It is extremely in the binge watching camp, and not a weekly show.
    The shorter 3 episode arcs, in season 4, with a background growing arc of the Romulan threat suited the TV landscape of the time much better.

One thing with season 3 was the first true serialised Trek and it was 15 years too early for audiences IMHO

The shorter 3 episode arcs, in season 4, with a background growing arc of the Romulan threat suited the TV landscape of the time much better.

The build up of the Romulan threat was done very well. Bit like how the Dominion was slowly mentioned in DS9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,634 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Your wrong about Enterprise season 3 being the first serialised Trek do. That was DS9 a whole decade before Enterprise.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Your wrong about Enterprise season 3 being the first serialised Trek do. That was DS9 a whole decade before Enterprise.

I don't think so. DS9 was serialised yes but it was a mix between old and new, until you got to the final run.
    Season 3 ENT was wholly devoted to a single event with (I think) nearly every single episode driving that plot. While DS9 had an overall serial nature many episodes fed from that rather than into it and were stand alone within that arc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I don't think so. DS9 was serialised yes but it was a mix between old and new, until you got to the final run.
    Season 3 ENT was wholly devoted to a single event with (I think) nearly every single episode driving that plot. While DS9 had an overall serial nature many episodes fed from that rather than into it and were stand alone within that arc.

by that logic if all season 3 in enterprise was devoted to one single event, then the last few entire seasons of DS9 were based on a single event and its surrounding....the dominion war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Selling my Star Trek Blu Ray's on adverts if anybody is interested.

They come with some extras too.

https://www.adverts.ie/blu-ray/star-trek-the-next-genearation-blu-ray-set-and-books/19144735

• Registered Users Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DenMan

According to reports Rene Auberjonois has sadly passed away aged 79. :(

https://www.pix11.com/news/national-news/benson-star-trek-actor-rene-auberjonois-has-died-at-79

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So sad he was amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

F*cking cancer, that's dreadful news so sad :(

His turn as Odo was phenomenal and perhaps had the show aired a decade later than it did, Auberjonois might have garnered more widespread mainstream praise. He brought a fantastic emotional range to a character intentionally alien and inscrutable, Odos double act with Quark legitimately one of the great pairings of Trek, period.

RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Advertisement
Advertisement