Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Rawr

Kitchen Rat from Voyager etc.

I love it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Rawr wrote: »
    I love it :D

It was Q that called him that I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Why do you keep posting that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

Stark wrote: »
    Why do you keep posting that?

Cheeky Feckers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Freeman Dyson has died :(

The man behind the sphere, Freeman Dyson, is dead at 96
    He made critical contributions to science and contemplated colonizing the Universe.
    https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/02/freeman-dyson-physicist-with-a-sci-fi-bent-has-died-at-96/
    Freeman Dyson, a physicist whose interests often took him to the edge of science fiction, has died at the age of 96. Dyson is probably best known for his idea of eponymous spheres that would allow civilizations to capture all the energy radiating off a star.

504141.jpg

504140.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

interesting enough interview, she wrote The Measure of a Man episode

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Re watching Voyager on Netflix at the moment and a couple of things stand out. Most notably the relationship between Janeway and Seven of nine. Its common knowledge now that when Jeri Ryan joined the cast of the show, Kate Mulgrew wasn't exactly friendly to her. And now that Im aware of this I can see it clearly in their on screen exchanges. As a consequence I find myself wincing anytime Janeway is supposed to be "Mentoring" Seven. It just comes across as forced, like she was doing it through gritted teeth. Which she probably was.......I kind of get where Mulgrew was coming from though, in that the show runners had decided to "Sex things up" by adding a hot girl in a catsuit. It was appealing to the lowest common multiple in an effort to get rating points. I dont think it was about Mulgrew herself being pushed to the side in favor of Ryan, it was more about the shows desperate bid for more viewers. At the same time though, she was taking her hostility out on the wrong person. Jeri Ryan was doing her job and Mulgrew was acting like a brat really. Her beef was really with the show runners not Ryan. jeri ryan did a really good job, and I can see that now moreso than when I saw voyager originally as a kid. Personally I didnt find her that attractive, I had the hots for Belanna torres way more than Seven so I couldnt see how maybe her casting was a strategic maneuver. Now though its all plain to see and like I said, I can see tensions that I couldnt see before. Thas said, it holds up really well. Im watching kind of a best of, I havent been going in chronological order or anything like that, just the episodes that I felt were stand outs.
    I tried to get into Discovery but it just didnt feel like Trek, if that makes any sense. But as soon as I started to watch Voyager again it felt like old times, like the Television equivalent of a warm blanket on a cold night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Technically they replaced a hot girl in a catsuit with a hotter girl in a catsuit who was, at least in Voyager, a better actress. Mulgrew's head may have exploded if they'd gone through with killing of Harry instead of Kes as they were originally planning. Garret Wang was only kept on because he was so beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Evade wrote: »
    Garret Wang was only kept on because he was so beautiful.

Really? :-S
    He was hardly a heartthrob

• Advertisement

368100 wrote: »
    Really? :-S
    He was hardly a heartthrob
    Yeah, between the end of season three and the start of season four's production he was on People's 50 Most Beautiful People list and so kept his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

Yeah, between the end of season three and the start of season four's production he was on People's 50 Most Beautiful People list and so kept his job.

He was so good at being an Ensign he never got promoted during the shows run. :pac: Tuvok got promoted and Paris got promoted and then demoted! Super Harry!

DenMan wrote: »
    He was so good at being an Ensign he never got promoted during the shows run. :pac: Tuvok got promoted and Paris got promoted and then demoted! Super Harry!
    He did get to be in command of Voyager, on the night shift, twice a week.

Jennifer Lien went a bit crazy in the years after Voyager (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Lien#Personal_life). I wonder if there was some behind the scenes stuff that made them decide it was easier to get rid of her. I'd buy that explanation over "Harry Kim was too beautiful to fire".

It was free publicity. If Lien was trouble behind the scenes they probably wouldn't have brought her back for an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Rawr

DenMan wrote: »

I remember the following conversation once:

JANEWAY: ....If this is your way of bucking for a promotion

KIM: No, no, I understand there's a command structure and that our circumstances are unique. But the fact is, if we were back home, I'd be a Lieutenant by now. Maybe even a Lieutenant Commander.

Frankly yes, he should have at least been a Lieutenant by then, he had certainly earned a extra pip by the end the of first couple of seasons. Kim's mentioned of the "unique circumstances" stop making sense when Ensign Paris gets promoted again after losing his second pip as punishment. Honestly Janeway, why re-promote the guy when you won't even give a Lieutenant pip to one of your most stedfast Bridge Officers?!

Apparently Brannon Braga once responded to Wang's query about his rank. "Well...somebody's got to be the Ensign" was his response.
    Still didn't really make any sense in-universe.

Who knows...maybe now in Star Trek Picard we'll encounter Kim working for Admiral Janeway, who's just now finally decided to promote him to Lieutenant Junior-grade, in recognition for his many years of service :P

I do wonder how long duration missions would affect career progression in Starfleet. In the Sound of her Voice the Olympia was on an eight year mission with no support, if you were an ensign on a ship like that by the time you got home a classmate could be a captain already.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I do wonder how long duration missions would affect career progression in Starfleet. In the Sound of her Voice the Olympia was on an eight year mission with no support, if you were an ensign on a ship like that by the time you got home a classmate could be a captain already.

I would say the Captain of the ships could promote an ensign or any other officer as long as they had done what they had to to get the promotion. They would just contact Starfleet and say such and such is being promoted. Its just because Voyager was so far away from home that it was more awkward but surely not impossible to promote officers on the ship.
    Its not like they would not have the pips or uniforms all they had to do there was replicate them so that was not an issue.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I was just watching "Author, Author" (one of the better episodes of an otherwise poor 7th season of Voyager). There's quite a funny scene where Harry Kim is having his 3 min call to his parents and his mother tells him she's going to write to Captain Janeway and demand that he's given a promotion right before the transmission cuts off :)

AMKC wrote: »
    I would say the Captain of the ships could promote an ensign or any other officer as long as they had done what they had to to get the promotion. They would just contact Starfleet and say such and such is being promoted. Its just because Voyager was so far away from home that it was more awkward but surely not impossible to promote officers on the ship.
    Its not like they would not have the pips or uniforms all they had to do there was replicate them so that was not an issue.
    That doesn't really get over the issue. They could all come back as a higher rank, sure, but they'd still only have the experience of doing whatever duties they did as an ensign. Deaths aside there's no way to move up and have additional responsibilities and officers under you to delegate to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The ranks remained the same purely because there was no storyline reason to change them, lets be honest. There was no desire by anyone to write Kim anything interesting except for little skits with him and Paris.

GSPfan wrote: »
    The ranks remained the same purely because there was no storyline reason to change them, lets be honest.
    Well, yeah. They were throwing ships at Riker for 15 years before he finally said yes for the same reason but it's still fun to speculate on the implications.

For me Voyager missed an opportunity to use the Maquis angle to its full potential. Chakotay being a native american was such a boring part of the show imo.
    I don’t mean to cross franchises but the relationship between Colonel Young and Doctor Rush was brilliantly done on Stargate Universe. Both never quite trusted the other and it flared up from time to time but both needed each other. The split between military and civilians was always a factor when deciding how to make decisions that effected all of them.
    Stargate Universe was imo a brilliant show that got cut short way too early.

Well, yeah. They were throwing ships at Riker for 15 years before he finally said yes for the same reason but it's still fun to speculate on the implications.

Ah it’s definitely fun to speculate. Pity they didn’t use his annoyance at not getting promoted as a way to disillusion him to starfleet and have him align with the Maquis or something like that. Definitely should have been harder for Janeway to maintain a starfleet command structure than it was. It’s like they all knew they’d get home within 7 years.

GSPfan wrote: »
    For me Voyager missed an opportunity to use the Maquis angle to its full potential. Chakotay being a native american was such a boring part of the show imo.
    I don’t mean to cross franchises but the relationship between Colonel Young and Doctor Rush was brilliantly done on Stargate Universe. Both never quite trusted the other and it flared up from time to time but both needed each other. The split between military and civilians was always a factor when deciding how to make decisions that effected all of them.
    Stargate Universe was imo a brilliant show that got cut short way too early.

Problem with SGU is that Rush and Young were both unlikeable pricks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think you could make a great many statements with the prefix of "Voyager missed an opportunity in ...". That whole show was one big missed opportunity, frequently snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Problem with SGU is that Rush and Young were both unlikeable pricks
    Yeah, but one of them was legitimately in charge, the other was constantly undermining him.

Yeah, but one of them was legitimately in charge, the other was constantly undermining him.

But it didn't make for a great protagonist

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I wanted to like ''Stargate Universe'' but it was just so dry and depressing that it was hard to like. The ship was really well done do and the scale of it too was well done. Still I think ''Stargate Atlantis'' was much better and deserved another two seasons. I would say after ''Universe'' flopped they must have been thinking that too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,079 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The Directors Guild of Canada has put up a listing for a role in Star Trek: Enterprise.

https://www.dgc.ca/en/ontario/productionView?p=54665

And since it's a brand new listing, it's not referring to the previous Enterprise series. A pointer towards a Pike based series perhaps?

Advertisement