Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Guess he's not coming back so!

3fo32e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Racing Point to unveil there car on February the 17th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

So just to keep track of the launch dates, here's a table we can update as we move forward over the next few weeks. I'm guessing Williams will get delayed and launch on testing day 2.

Team|Date|Venue
    Ferrari|February 11|Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Renault|February 12|France
    McLaren|February 13|Woking, UK
    AlphaTauri|February 14|Salzburg, Austria
    Mercedes|February 14|Silverstone, UK
    Racing Point|February 17|Mondsee, Austria
    Red Bull|TBC|TBC
    Alfa Romeo|TBC|TBC
    Haas|TBC|TBC
    Williams|TBC|TBC

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Alfa Romeo launch 19th of February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Team|Date|Venue
    Ferrari|February 11|Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Renault|February 12|France
    McLaren|February 13|Woking, UK
    AlphaTauri|February 14|Salzburg, Austria
    Mercedes|February 14|Silverstone, UK
    Racing Point|February 17|Mondsee, Austria
    Red Bull|TBC|TBC
    Alfa Romeo|February 19|Circuit de Catalunya-Barcelona
    Haas|TBC|TBC
    Williams|TBC|TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

https://www.racefans.net/2020/01/29/mercedes-crunch-meeting-quit-f1-2020/

Was rumoured long enough to be done, Mercedes as team is on the chopping block. Soon we'll find out more. Lauda was one of the main pro F1 people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Harika wrote: »
    https://www.racefans.net/2020/01/29/mercedes-crunch-meeting-quit-f1-2020/

Was rumoured long enough to be done, Mercedes as team is on the chopping block. Soon we'll find out more. Lauda was one of the main pro F1 people

Along with this piece of news, this could well be the last season for Merc in F1 as a works team...utter madness
    Chinese carmaker Geely and Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll are both proposing to invest about £200m for a fresh 20 per cent stake in the business and a place on Aston’s board.

https://www.ft.com/content/18930d7a-432f-11ea-a43a-c4b328d9061c

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Gintonious wrote: »
    Along with this piece of news, this could well be the last season for Merc in F1 as a works team...utter madness

It might not be madness. They've had massive success which has been uninterrupted and often not even Challenged - boring. The returns for another dominant season must be diminishing.

They are only in f1 to advertise their cars and they might have achieved all they're going to achieve.

I've no idea whether they'll pull out or continue in the sport.

It might not be madness. They've had massive success which has been uninterrupted and often not even Challenged - boring. The returns for another dominant season must be diminishing.

They are only in f1 to advertise their cars and they might have achieved all they're going to achieve.

I've no idea whether they'll pull out or continue in the sport.

Mercedes is known to spend and win series to death. See itc DTM lmp1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Gintonious wrote: »

https://www.ft.com/content/18930d7a-432f-11ea-a43a-c4b328d9061c

Mercedes has commited to something like 2billion in cost cuts over the next few years and as another poster said has achieved everything it can in F1 and with very little real competition. Maybe they want to concentrate on Formula E now and do the same there. I did see some saying this news could be fake do or a marketing ply by Mercedes to get there way in F1. So for now all we can do is wait and see.

Mercedes is known to spend and win series to death. See itc DTM lmp1

Fair enough. I take your word for it.

I read a report that profits are down (not to say they’re making a loss, just reduced profits) so they’re considering letting staff go in the roadcar production side. So they might be under pressure to cut the big spending projects like f1.

Only time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I remember when the team was almost dead, and now they're going to be a works Aston Martin team. Have I died and gone to heaven?

skipper_G wrote: »
    I remember when the team was almost dead, and now they're going to be a works Aston Martin team. Have I died and gone to heaven?

They're in the process if building a new factory too. They're really one to watch in the next 4/5 years. New factory, new investment, new staff and sone top people... That's a winning combination but it will take years to bare fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Red Bull lose a title sponsor then? It will make sod all difference for baby Stroll. Perez has him well and truly mastered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Infoanon

They're in the process if building a new factory too. They're really one to watch in the next 4/5 years. New factory, new investment, new staff and sone top people... That's a winning combination but it will take years to bare fruit.

With customer Mercedes engines......it's very hard to see a customer team ever beating a factory team in the current era.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Infoanon wrote: »
    With customer Mercedes engines......it's very hard to see a customer team ever beating a factory team in the current era.

That will all depend on what Mercedes-Benz works team are going to do going forward. They are still going to build engines, McLaren and Williams have agreements in place so if they sell up, will the new owners become the "works" team, does it go back to McLaren or what will happen.
    We really need more engine makers on the grid. Miss the days where practically every team had their own engine manufacturer, Ford, Peugeot, Mugen, Yamaha, Hart etc.

True but Mercedes might only be engine suppliers by then. They could have a works engine deal with a team like Honda with red bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,292 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

McLaren beat Renault last year......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,912 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,626 ✭✭✭Infoanon

pjohnson wrote: »
    McLaren beat Renault last year......

True - my point was more a customer team winning a race (let alone a championship ) just doesn't happen anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

True - my point was more a customer team winning a race (let alone a championship ) just doesn't happen anymore.

There's however an argument for the "customer teams" being underfunded (Williams) or doing a crap job with their chassis (McLaren, HAAS) rather than just being "designed" to be 3rd at best unless both cars from the "senior team" are out (Toro Rosso, Alfa Romeo, Racing Point).

McLaren especially - if they design a good chassis, they could win the odd race regardless of whatever engine they have in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Last day of January, and less than three weeks to testing and it's the Australia GP in just 6 week's time. I love when the six Nations is on as that usually fills the gap nicely - roll on March 13-15th!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

This idea of needing a works engine came from Ron Dennis, completely ignoring the failings of McLaren's chassis when using by far the best engine available, being soundly beaten by Williams in 2014.

If Red Bull had been a customer of a competent hybrid engine manufacturer then it is entirely possible their winning streak would have continued past 2013. They would definitely have stopped Mercedes being in a class of one for most of the last 6 years if they had been a Merc customer team. There is a reason why Merc and Ferrari refused to supply them after their relationship with Renault broke down, they knew they were the only customer team capable of building a competitive car and outperforming them with their own power units.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm only doing a bit of investigative research into it at the moment, but has anyone any tips regarding heading to a Grand Prix?

The only one I'd be interested in is Belgium or maybe Austria, is the best way to buy tickets the official channels?

I'm assuming the package deals from the likes of Marathon etc are a good bit more expensive than buying all yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭g1983d

I'm only doing a bit of investigative research into it at the moment, but has anyone any tips regarding heading to a Grand Prix?

The only one I'd be interested in is Belgium or maybe Austria, is the best way to buy tickets the official channels?

I'm assuming the package deals from the likes of Marathon etc are a good bit more expensive than buying all yourself?

Went to Monza a few years ago and bought from touts at the gate on the Friday on the way to practice, good a good deal but you've to watch them like a hawk. There was an official ticket booth there too.

I'd imagine each track has a different setup though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Anyone been to an f1 test?
    Given that the place is likely near empty, is there any better access to paddock for the ordinary fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

mickdw wrote: »
    Anyone been to an f1 test?
    Given that the place is likely near empty, is there any better access to paddock for the ordinary fan?

I did see one year that testing was around €20 for three days. With below €50 flights I was tempted to go when the new regulations came in.

Especially now with EU data roaming to keep you occupied during the time's where no cars on the track I might go when the 2021 regs come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Could be interesting enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement