Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Looks like China is off due to the Coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Season 2 of the F1 docu on netflix is out on the 28th of this month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Season 2 of the F1 docu on netflix is out on the 28th of this month

Excellent, thought last year's one was really good TV. Hopefully this season is to the same standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,005 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Looks like China is off due to the Coronavirus

Any update on this? The f1 group meeting was yesterday. I googled it and found contradictory stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Any update on this? The f1 group meeting was yesterday. I googled it and found contradictory stories.

Ross Brawn is quoted as saying that F1 is waiting for the promoters and Chinese government to make the decision aka $$$$, who is going to pay for the race being cancelled.

The foreign office has stated that only essential travel to China should be undertaken - F1 is not essential - and I believe to travel to China against the foreign offices advice would invalidate insurances. Thus all the UK teams won't be travelling unless things change.

All other major sporting events are cancelled in China.

• Advertisement

Infoanon wrote: »
    Ross Brawn is quoted as saying that F1 is waiting for the promoters and Chinese government to make the decision aka $$$$, who is going to pay for the race being cancelled.

All other major sporting events are cancelled in China.

Lol. They'll decide on whether its a safety concern depending on if they get paid or not. If the money is right, it's a safety concern. If they don't pay it's not a safety concern. Very on point for F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,665 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

This most really be hitting the Chinese economy very hard all these events been cancelled there and there cities in lockdown. If as a poster above said the insurance companies will not insure the teams if they travel then I can't see the chinese race happening.
    If there is a case discovered in Vietnam as well then I can see that race cancelled too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    This most really be hitting the Chinese economy very hard all these events been cancelled there and there cities in lockdown. If as a poster above said the insurance companies will not insure the teams if they travel then I can't see the chinese race happening.
    If there is a case discovered in Vietnam as well then I can see that race cancelled too.

You must be right. I remember hearing analysis of the impbank holidays on GDP. Each bank holiday has a small but real impact and people tend to spend money on bank holidays so they’re not a complete loss.

China really must be suffering. Oil prices have dropped too (but I’m never sorry to see the grin wiped off the Saudi Royals’ faces)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

eljono wrote: »
    Excellent, thought last year's one was really good TV. Hopefully this season is to the same standard.

That show was more exciting than the actual season.

Haas appears to have gone back to the pre Rich Energy livery

https://twitter.com/HaasF1Team/status/1225418451721822208

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Haas-VF20-Formel-1-Auto-2020-169FullWidth-d9e7b86b-1668108.jpg
    Haas-VF20-Formel-1-Auto-2020-169FullWidth-2deb35ee-1668109.jpg
    Haas-VF20-Formel-1-Auto-2020-169FullWidth-4b002eea-1668110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Is that the new car or is it the "new" livery on the old car?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

flazio wrote: »

VF-20 is the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,665 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Which one had the fire truck drive onto the track Korea was it?
    You must be right. I remember hearing analysis of the impbank holidays on GDP. Each bank holiday has a small but real impact and people tend to spend money on bank holidays so they’re not a complete loss.

China really must be suffering. Oil prices have dropped too (but I’m never sorry to see the grin wiped off the Saudi Royals’ faces)

Thats the one only good thing from this Carnovirus the fact that oil prices have dropped which is good. They were starting to get out of control again. Still it would be even better if it dropped to 50 or better yet 40 dollars a barrel again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

flazio wrote: »
    The new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Haas - the livery is so much nicer than the lack lustre of a certain missing energy drink livery from last year! the colours just didn't quite emulate the JPS livery of the 90s.

I don't think Haas have anything to loose by posting pictures of this year's car. I'm sure they'll test out things, bolt on a few bits, see what works. From my novice view of it, I can't see anything fancy on it, other than the splitter at the tray edges (V-shape). Hopefully they can unlock the car and be a little more competitive rather than being so hot and cold all season.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Haas - the livery is so much nicer than the lack lustre of a certain missing energy drink livery from last year! the colours just didn't quite emulate the JPS livery of the 90s.

I don't think Haas have anything to loose by posting pictures of this year's car. I'm sure they'll test out things, bolt on a few bits, see what works. From my novice view of it, I can't see anything fancy on it, other than the splitter at the tray edges (V-shape). Hopefully they can unlock the car and be a little more competitive rather than being so hot and cold all season.

If they actually listen to Grosjean this year aswell it'd help.

astrofluff wrote: »

Be fair though, they won't put the actual car out in the pictures. It's just the livery. They won't even use the actual car with all the pieces they have, until the final test. They all have to keep the actual car a secret - not that anyone expects haas to have made the best chassis.

GarIT wrote: »
    It's hurting the Chinese economy which is great for the rest of the world. Every day businesses are closed in China is a huge victory for the world, freedom and democracy. The only bad thing about 2019-nCoV is that it isn't more lethal.

Oh right. Yeah. Couldn't you take that guff to after hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

They might only be worth 1 point but they could be important some day in a title race

But should the fastest lap point be awarded if drivers have used DRS in a lap? You have to be behind someone to be using it, a driver could lead every lap and have most of the fastest laps but one car getting to use DRS all the times they can might propel them into the fastest lap

• Advertisement

They might only be worth 1 point but they could be important some day in a title race

But should the fastest lap point be awarded if drivers have used DRS in a lap? You have to be behind someone to be using it, a driver could lead every lap and have most of the fastest laps but one car getting to use DRS all the times they can might propel them into the fastest lap

I don't see how it could be applied. But it's a completely fair point. Surely getting drs from backmarkers is the best way to get a fast lap. Get the drs and slipstream and overtake them

I like the idea of a point for fastest lap but this actually makes it a bit more about circumstances than raw speed.

But I still like the fastest lap point. It's a bit of excitement.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I think the fastest lap point should be applied to anybody, not just the top 10

antodeco wrote: »
    I think the fastest lap point should be applied to anybody, not just the top 10

I don't agree with that. Then everyone outside the top 10 could pit on the last lap for soft tyres and go for the fast lap. There's no jeopardy in them pitting. At least the top 10 has something to lose.

I agree with only the points scorers being eligible.

Yeah Formula E had it open to anyone but led to a few farces so then limited it to top10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Not too bad. cleaner than the previous ones.

Mercedes-F1-Lackierung-2020-169FullWidth-d1b3f221-1668707.jpg

Gintonious wrote: »
    Not too bad. cleaner than the previous ones.

Totally on brand. Clear, Plain, muted. They would be crazy to change it considering they're on top. But samey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,860 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a wonder that the new sponsor didn’t go for a spot on the Halo, given how popular the Red Halo was after Laudas death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ugh, Ineos. Is there any sport they won't taint

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement