Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

ugh, Ineos. Is there any sport they won't taint

I think F1 is way beyond tainting by any corporate sponsorship. Whatever you think of Ineos, how do you compare them with the egregious human rights abuses committed by some of the regimes that F1 buddies up to. F1 will be in Saudi Arabia before long too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Anjobe wrote: »
    I think F1 is way beyond tainting by any corporate sponsorship. Whatever you think of Ineos, how do you compare them with the egregious human rights abuses committed by some of the regimes that F1 buddies up to. F1 will be in Saudi Arabia before long too.
    I’ve never worried about sponsors. They’re just advertising their wears whether it’s cigarettes, or brand Saudi. But what really interests me is when people express allegiance with sponsors. Whether it’s the Camel Williams or John player lotus. And some people took issue with racing point having a breast cancer charity as a sponsor.

There’s no doubt sponsors are far more emotive than is sensible. That’s why advertising works, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

I’ve never worried about sponsors. They’re just advertising their wears whether it’s cigarettes, or brand Saudi. But what really interests me is when people express allegiance with sponsors. Whether it’s the Camel Williams or John player lotus. And some people took issue with racing point having a breast cancer charity as a sponsor.

There’s no doubt sponsors are far more emotive than is sensible. That’s why advertising works, I suppose.

Going a bit off topic now, but I would be far more concerned with the proliferation of online betting companies as shirt sponsors in soccer than with a chemical company with a dodgy reputation for (non) compliance with pollution regulations.

In cycling lots of people didn't like Team Sky, so when Ineos started funding them it was just something else to use to criticise them, and I guess it will be the same with Mercedes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Inviere

Anjobe wrote: »

Rumour has it there's even a US gp. They'll literally go anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

Ferrari breaks cover...
    It's a Ferrari, it's red, that concludes the tour....there are no refunds!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.vettel-and-leclerc-reveal-ferraris-2020-f1-car-the-sf1000.XQ64BRkNj4fo1jHG0V7on.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,724 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

media-00k6i83erm52ay3fol4ogc?client_id=5c5c2f5c78fc583665a5135c

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Love the retro numbers, very mid 90's.

Have the livery designers gone on strike or something?

Ferrari-SF1000-F1-Auto-2020-169FullWidth-36b02406-1669225.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Has Seb named it?

• Advertisement

Renault and Red Bull launches today.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Renault and Red Bull launches today.
    Three incredibly conservative liveries so far.

Red bull might do a testing livery but they never change the real livery very much.

I wonder if we're into the phase of the formula where they have run out of big in innovations and will converge in terms of performance this year.

It would be great if the midfield could keep up with the big 3 and really punish them for any mistakes.

https://twitter.com/redbullracing/status/1227517756586811393?s=19
    I'm sure someone can spot aero changes but other than that....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Gintonious wrote: »
    Love the retro numbers, very mid 90's.

Someone else noticed it, I'm glad. Now, if they did away with the stupid "driver's number system" and the numbers on that Ferrari were 27 & 28, that'd be even better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Looks like the Chinese Grand Prix is cancelled this year. I think other sporting events outside China could be in trouble too if coronas spreads quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Yup, FIA Facebook has officially announced it as 'Postponed'

https://www.facebook.com/291979350832700/posts/2958086304221978/

The Renault is entirely black matt. Looks good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/renaultf1team/status/1227594652838170624

Renault-R-S-20-F1-Auto-fuer-2020-169FullWidth-e0bf4cec-1669650.jpg

Renault-R-S-20-F1-Auto-fuer-2020-169FullWidth-f30af09a-1669651.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It looks good, but thankfully Haas is changing to a bit of white because 2019 Haas and 2020 Renault are very similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Ricciardo's helmet is terrible, he should change the design.

• Advertisement

vXMvRmq.jpg?1

RB with a mad looking snout!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Oh dear, the RB has a...ehrm...gentleman's sausage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

The weird snout and/or phallic nose appendages are positively ghastly

According to Renault Insta story, that's not the final car. Seems like there could be last minute problems.

E51HwfN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Buckle up boys that Red Bull looks mean...

Merc 1-2 confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

jesus. some of these cars are like a game of buckeroo with all the bits sticking out here and there

flazio wrote: »
    According to Renault Insta story, that's not the final car. Seems like there could be last minute problems.

None of them are the final car. They bring a basic car to first test session and an updated version to the last test. They don't bring the final car until Melbourne.

The cars they show at the reveal will give nothing away. I'd say they will even put red herrings on the car for launch to make sure nobody actually knows what they're really doing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The cars they show at the reveal will give nothing away. I'd say they will even put red herrings on the car for launch to make sure nobody actually knows what they're really doing.

Imagine getting hit in the face by a fish at 300kmh.

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    Imagine getting hit in the face by a fish at 300kmh.

They bolt the herrings on securely.

P.S. no animals were harmed in making this metaphor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement