Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

AMKC wrote: »
    Red Bull did not drop the diffuser it was banned during 2013 under rules by the FIA

I think thats what he means and was trying to say.

I was pointing more towards the sport dropping it, not just RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Gintonious wrote: »
    I was pointing more towards the sport dropping it, not just RB.

Quick question.
    Who made the best use of the blown diffuser when it was on cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There was an interview on Sky with Webber explaining the situation at the time. Seb was used to 4+ years of More acceleration = More grip in the corners, and then had to adapt to More acceleration = less grip.

He was beaten by Ricciardo fairly but it might be one mitigating factor.

vectra wrote: »
    Quick question.
    Who made the best use of the blown diffuser when it was on cars?

Red Bull, clearly.

GarIT wrote: »
    There was an interview on Sky with Webber explaining the situation at the time. Seb was used to 4+ years of More acceleration = More grip in the corners, and then had to adapt to More acceleration = less grip.

He was beaten by Ricciardo fairly but it might be one mitigating factor.

So Vettel adapted, sign of a good driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I see Unilever have transferred their sponsorship from Williams to McLaren. Hopefully we might see Ben & Jerry's or Magnum logos on this years McLaren.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

So Vettel adapted, sign of a good driver.

Or maybe didn't adapt explaining the poor performance that year

GarIT wrote: »
    Or maybe didn't adapt explaining the poor performance that year

He won 2 world championships with RB without that exhaust tech (the RB8 and RB9 didn't off throttle blown diffusers), so he was well able to adapt to them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Red Bull, clearly.

Red bull had 2 drivers,
    Which one made it work best?

vectra wrote: »
    Red bull had 2 drivers,
    Which one made it work best?

For the 2 years they have the blown diff, Vettel did. For the 2 years without, Vettel again.

• Advertisement

McLaren launch on the 13th of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Anybody heading to testing this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Renault launch on 12 Feb.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Renault launch on 12 Feb.
    I want to see a big improvement from them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shanetyper

I'm dying to see McLaren on the podium this year. I thought last season had some brilliant races. Hopefully thus season won't disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Worth repeating here.
    skipper_G wrote: »
    W series added to the support bill for two F1 races this season at Austin and Mexico. That's a pretty big development for a series only in it's second season.

https://www.motorsport.com/w-series/news/support-bill-austin-mexico-f1/4651997/
    I imagine Williams will give Jamie Chadwick a run out on the Friday at both those races.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

flazio wrote: »
    Worth repeating here.
    I imagine Williams will give Jamie Chadwick a run out on the Friday at both those races.

Well Nissany is their official tester so its safe to assume he'll be buying a few practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I want to see a big improvement from them this year.

Me too. Would be nice to see them on the podium and maybe even get pole a few times. I know very optimistic but it could happen.
    Worth repeating here.

I hope they do give her a few runs on Friday.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Worth repeating here.

I think she's talented but I don't think Williams will give her a run, she doesn't have big money behind her and as said above Nissany will get the runs because he's paying for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

skipper_G wrote: »
    Nissany will get the runs

Let's hope not! :)

• Advertisement

No big money behind her? Rokit is the title sponsor of both Williams and W series. I think they might have a bit of clout for her.

Plus she has 500k in her own account from winning last season :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

astrofluff wrote: »
    Plus she has 500k in her own account from winning last season :pac:

Which wasn't even enough to buy a seat in F3. She's hoping to win again this year and move out

What's good now is the super license points for W series and anything she can accumulate in F3 Asian series is helpful. The goal for any driver is to get those points first in order to be able to qualify for a race seat in F1. Baby steps I suppose but funding is the big headache to get any driver in a lower race seat to get vital points.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,567 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

AlphaTauri to launch there car on February the 14th.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    AlphaTauri to launch there car on February the 14th.

Who?
    But seriously, I wonder how many times commentators are still going to say "Toro Rosso, Sauber and Force India" throughout this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Who?
    But seriously, I wonder how many times commentators are still going to say "Toro Rosso, Sauber and Force India" throughout this season.

Its not often said atm, but if anyone calls a team Alfa on commentary, then you’re wondering is it Romeo or Tauri

• Registered Users Posts: 19,959 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Who?

Plenty will do it by accident. But it will diminish over time. Same as the way you don't hear commentators say "Tyrrell" or "Jordan" by mistake.

Some people are just averse to any change. Then they get used to the change and forget they ever opposed it and oppose any new change. Just wait for the new liveries to be revealed. People go bananas every year about the new liveries and then forget they didn't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Latifi is taking #6.

Last used by Nico Rosberg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

pjohnson wrote: »
    Latifi is taking #6.

Last used by Nico Rosberg

Guess he's not coming back so!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement