Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain piss off and get on with Brexit II (mod warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Ok lets say your correct with your attack on me.

So show me......what or why my attitude is so wrong.

Then show us you proof and knowlege of these experts you speak of and which policys they are working on.

Documentations, photos, secret documents, videos, anything...the floor is yours put them up.

You must have all this info and proof because you are correct of course.

Are you literally mad?
    It's not secret. Where would I start, financial sector, airlines, customs, regulators, business's changing supply chains etc. etc. Has all this passed you by?

A simple small example. My company was planning a security ops centre in Manchester. After the referendum, this was shelved and the roles were relocated around Europe (Im in one in Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Oh jesus sometimes I think you must be 13 years old with one school history book.

Countries do have taxes on goods purchased but its not the vat the EU uses and its not on the same goods. It could be on more it could be on less.

In the UK it used to be called something else and before joining the EU it was always around 7%

You do realise there's more than one rate of VAT and some goods/services are zero rated or exempt.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/what-are-vat-rates/index.aspx

Also could you clarify what exactly do you mean by "Countries do have taxes on goods purchased but its not the vat the EU uses and its not on the same goods. It could be on more it could be on less."

It reads like "other countries have something like VAT but it's not called VAT and the rates may be higher or lower than VAT rates in the EU?" If that's the case, I'm not sure what your actual point is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

You do realise there's more than one rate of VAT and some goods/services are zero rated or exempt.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/vat/vat-rates/what-are-vat-rates/index.aspx

Also could you clarify what exactly do you mean by "Countries do have taxes on goods purchased but its not the vat the EU uses and its not on the same goods. It could be on more it could be on less."

It reads like "other countries have something like VAT but it's not called VAT and the rates may be higher or lower than VAT rates in the EU?" If that's the case, I'm not sure what your actual point is.
    In the EU you cant go below their set rate which is according to some a minimum of 15% at present.

If you wasnt in the EU you can whatever you like to suit whatever situation you have.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Are you literally mad?
    It's not secret. Where would I start, financial sector, airlines, customs, regulators, business's changing supply chains etc. etc. Has all this passed you by?

A simple small example. My company was planning a security ops centre for 200 staff in Manchester. After the referendum, this was shelved and the roles were related around Europe (Im in one in Dublin).

So you have no knowlege of what I may know about anything but according to you I am clueless.

And now 'your company' but you can provide no proof but 'I say so'.

And now I am mad.

In otherwords you know as much about what will happen after Brexit as anybody else.

All I have said is wait and see but I 'expect' which you could take as a 'guess'.....the worst. Meaning all hell will break loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Oh jesus sometimes I think you must be 13 years old with one school history book.

Countries do have taxes on goods purchased but its not the vat the EU uses and its not on the same goods. It could be on more it could be on less.

In the UK it used to be called something else and before joining the EU it was always around 7%

Purchase Tax, and in kicked in at a whopping 33% then went to 66%, 100% and when it was replaced it was at 25%. Looks like the history book he has is one more than you have...

(What you deride as "13 years old with one school history book" is also known as "fact-checking". You really should give it a try...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

So you have no knowlege of what I may know about anything but according to you I am clueless.

And now 'your company' but you can provide no proof but 'I say so'.

And now I am mad.

In otherwords you know as much about what will happen after Brexit as anybody else.

All I have said is wait and see but I 'expect' which you could take as a 'guess'.....the worst. Meaning all hell will break loose.

Oh I apologise. There's no evidence anywhere of jobs moving from the UK.

That's sarcasm by the way. Everybody else would recognise it but I just thought I'd point it out to you, just in case.

And obviously all the other prep work that is widely publicised has passed you by. Let me guess you read one or two brands of British paper.

storker wrote: »
    Purchase Tax, and in kicked in at a whopping 33% then went to 66%, 100% and when it was replaced it was at 25%. Looks like the history book he has is one more than you have...

(What you deride as "13 years old with one school history book" is also known as "fact-checking". You really should give it a try...)

Yeah I did. It was war time Britain and eit was introduced at a high rate to discourage waste of which of course was very important then.

But of course when a Labour government increases it on luxury goods like a 'Rolls Royce' for instance. (Would you expect anything less from Labour) Then you could in a very extreme case have a valid point.

Just so you know. When I was younger those same people increased income tax for rich people to an equivalent of 98%............have a guess what happened............they all fooked off!..........Quite a few came here to Ireland.

Point is high tax never works.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Oh I apologise. There's no evidence anywhere of jobs moving from the UK.

That's sarcasm by the way. Everybody else would recognise it but I just thought I'd point it out to you, just in case.

And obviously all the other prep work that is widely publicised has passed you by. Let me guess you read one or two brands of British paper.

No I read anything that I fancy including Boards which I find hilarious but also boring in some cases as well. Also intriguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

In the EU you cant go below their set rate which is according to some a minimum of 15% at present.

If you wasnt in the EU you can whatever you like to suit whatever situation you have.

The 15% is the minimum rate for the standard rate of VAT. Ireland's chosen standard rate is currently 23% and the UK's is 20%. You then have all the other reduced rates to apply to their applicable goods and services. 5% being the minimum for the reduced rate. Not forgetting the zero rate also.

The UK was free to operate within the band's just like every other member. They can now set whatever consumption tax they want to in order to keep their tax revenues from collapsing. These rates may be higher or lower than the VAT they will replace.

I'm still not sure what your point is here other than you don't like the EU because they had a consumption tax system with rules and the UK will now most likely replace the EU system with a consumption tax system with rules.

I think the original criticism was that the problem was made out to be bigger than it actually was. I believe Italy spent far less on Y2K fixes than other countries yet did not go into meltdown.

The next Y2K is Y2038, and people are already looking at solutions for software and systems that will be affected. Y2K was potentially far worse. It was a self-inflicted Carrington Event without enormous effort and expense put in to avoid it. It was not overblown. It was adequately blown.

Italy was ok spending less because the world, especially then, runs on American software, and got American fixes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Despite what posters here think Britain will fare well out of the E.U. At least they don't fall down and beg before Barnier and those other ***** like the Irish do

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

will thread close at 23:00 on Friday or roll on for the next 11 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

will thread close at 23:00 on Friday or roll on for the next 11 months?
    Just like Brexit, the thread will never close.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Edgware wrote: »
    Despite what posters here think Britain will fare well out of the E.U. At least they don't fall down and beg before Barnier and those other ***** like the Irish do
    The UK will have to a lot more begging from the EU as a near neighbour than it ever had to do as Member State.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Peregrinus wrote:
    The UK will have to a lot more begging from the EU as a near neighbour than it ever had to do as Member State.

And they will notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The range available is 15 - 25 per cent, which is pretty flexible and some countries have negotiated lower than 15% for exceptional reasons.

Its a perfectly logical measure in a market that operates without any restrictions on trade across borders. It was set (as a compromise) after consultations. (The EU is good at compromise after consultations.)

First Up wrote: »
    The range available is 15 - 25 per cent, which is pretty flexible and some countries have negotiated lower than 15% for exceptional reasons.

Its a perfectly logical measure in a market that operates without any restrictions on trade across borders. It was set (as a compromise) after consultations. (The EU is good at compromise after consultations.)

Yes I remember when Ireland rejected their treaties. They really 'compromised' then.

If I remember correctly it was reported as ....vote again and get it right with a yes vote otherwise you will get no more money!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

If I remember correctly it was reported as ....vote again and get it right with a yes vote otherwise you will get no more money!!!!!!

You remember incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just under 3 days left until the big day. It has been a hard fought campaign with great arguments from both side. I hope anyone who is disappointed and worried with the outcome will see the positive's really soon.

I can just picture future British generations asking their grandparents-as they queue for the dole-' Tell us again about the time we told the EU to f**k off! '

Dytalus wrote: »
    You remember incorrectly.

I always knew I would. But being as I wasn't there behind those closed doors at the shouting match which followed the 'No' votes. I can only go by the Newspaper reports at the time. Even the lefty papers reported on same https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/dec/13/eu-ireland-lisbon-treaty

But I know you have such superior knowlege and of course were there typing and recording every word just for this day when you could present it to Boards.ie.

So we await your insider knowlege from that day when the EU spoke to Irelands leader after the vote to were they decided to have a re-vote..

You can post it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's widely available on the internet.

The most important point being that, similar to Brexit, one side spread disinformation and bullsh*t.

Remember the "Lisbon will slash wages", "Lisbon will force abortions on women", "we'll all be drafted into an EU army"?

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/the-lisbon-treaty-referenda-was-heartbreakingly-stupid-remember-1147778-Oct2013/

Ireland got assurances and clarification on a number of points, and we voted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Guy Verhofstadt sounds proper fascist
    #Brexit is a failure of the Union. There is a lesson to learn from it: to deeply reform the Union.

To make it into a real Union, a Union without opt-in, without opt-outs, without rebates, without exceptions.

Only then we can defend our interests and defend our values.

In essence a united states of Europe with no option to leave
    It's not until then that "we" can "defend" "values" and "interests".
    What a muppet.

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1222553258633441281

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

I always knew I would. But being as I wasn't there behind those closed doors at the shouting match which followed the 'No' votes. I can only go by the Newspaper reports at the time. Even the lefty papers reported on same https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2008/dec/13/eu-ireland-lisbon-treaty

But I know you have such superior knowlege and of course were there typing and recording every word just for this day when you could present it to Boards.ie.

So we await your insider knowlege from that day when the EU spoke to Irelands leader after the vote to were they decided to have a re-vote..

You can post it here.
    Apologies, I misread your post. You are correct: It was reported as such.

But a number of legal guarantees regarding the treaty were provided, on the request of the Irish government, which addressed Irish concerns regarding the treaty. Then we voted on the amended document.

We were not asked to vote on the same thing twice. Those who say we did (including an opinion peace in the 'lefty media') are at best misinformed, at worst are willfully lying to stoke anti-EU sentiment.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    "we'll all be drafted into an EU army"?

Not going to happen, eh?
    High time for a European Army to take matters in our own hands.

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1185080326592315393

biko wrote: »
    In essence a united states of Europe with no option to leave

That is not what opt-out means in this context.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Did I miss something. Did Guy seize control of all 27 EU member states?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

That is not what opt-out means in this context.
    Can you clarify what he means?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can you clarify what he means?

I believe by opt-out he means the decision to not adopt the Euro and other policies.

Did I miss something. Did Guy seize control of all 27 EU member states?
    Not yet :)

When bigwigs like him, Macron and Merkel call for a EU Army, this is a very real future to happen sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not yet :)

When bigwigs like him, Macron and Merkel call for a EU Army, this is a very real future to happen sooner rather than later.

Bollox. The Eurosceptics have been parroting these insipid soundbites for years now.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement