Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Rant alert!

I use the M50 all the time.

On the rare occasion where it isn't completely stopped, I cannot understand how a driver can sit at 95km/h in the overtaking lane, when the middle and left lanes are clear, and then get pissed off when you want to get past!

So few people seem to understand the function of the overtaking lane!

And breath...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Rant alert!

On the rare occasion where it isn't completely stopped, I cannot understand how a driver can sit at 95km/h in the overtaking lane, when the middle and left lanes are clear, and then get pissed off when you want to get past!

And breath...

As a dub in exile who used to carve up the m50 daily to city west from santry I empathise.
    All I can add to this is that *I think* its an Irish thing.... "who does yer man think he is annoyin me to move over, I was gona move but now I'm not movin!".... Either that or the phone or tablet has something cool on fb or twit to be looking at.

I did notice that a judicious set of aux cree spots help here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Rant alert!

And breath...

I think you need to perform a punishment undertake :p

I go on the M50 most days (once a week I take a different route for variety) and lately I've found myself sitting in the left lane going bang on 100kph and undertaking vehicles the whole time. I don't understand why vehicles can't move left when the lane beside them is empty. Especially from Dundrum<->Knocklyon! It's 3 lanes folks, and no junction for ages! Get to the left you $%&*£ards!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Colm17RvB wrote: »

I thought you needed a turbo Busa to do those :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Yes, sorry blade1, I apologise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Rant alert!

And breath...

I have experienced that a fair bit on the Tivoli dual carriageway and the M8 going in and out of Cork every day. The funny thing is I get different levels of willingness to move over depending on what I'm driving/riding. On the bike, they move when they eventually see you. In a 99 Corolla, 0% chance unless you drive right up on top of them which obviously isn't safe. In the Hilux, especially when I still had the roof lights on, path is cleared within a K or so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭horse7

Colm17RvB wrote: »

I go on the M50 most days (once a week I take a different route for variety) and lately I've found myself sitting in the left lane going bang on 100kph and undertaking vehicles the whole time. I don't understand why vehicles can't move left when the lane beside them is empty. Especially from Dundrum<->Knocklyon! It's 3 lanes folks, and no junction for ages! Get to the left you $%&*£ards!!:mad:

Still dangerous on the M50, always some plonked who decides to take the exit off without checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seeing an awful lot of bikes who dont know where their mirrors are. Filtering on GS's with boxes on the side but snails pace and not bothered their arse checking mirrors for 4-5K until you have to horn them.

Clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

listermint wrote: »
    Seeing an awful lot of bikes who dont know where their mirrors are. Filtering on GS's with boxes on the side but snails pace and not bothered their arse checking mirrors for 4-5K until you have to horn them.

Clueless

They would be the middle aged born again bikers that bought a new gs after watching charlie and ewan go rtw :p
    A guy I know did the same in 2010, previous to that his last bike was a rg125 back in the late 90's, bike got sold after a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

Clueless

yup, this and worse without luggage. gs riders are not alone in this though ( but gs riders insist on full luggage to carry an apple to work is beyond me....)

i dont use the m50 all the time, but some riders are as bad as car drivers, riding up your inside or outside in the same lane, without you even knowing they are there !

I do filter in the much slower moving traffic, and fall in behind when it gets going again, but id always give the car driver the time to spot me as such, dont get me started on bikers.

bad enough driving is in general , our own kind on two wheels can really p!ss you off with the **** i mentioned above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

The only bad experience I've had with another biker was when I was in the car, he overtook me on a corner when another vehicle was oncoming. I had to swerve to the left to give him room to get back in the lane or he would have been killed; it was a good thing there was parking spaces on the left. (Galway City to Spiddal route just at the beachfront at Padracins restaurant)

I had only just got my bike around this time so was very conscious of other bikes on the roads but having driven this route for 2.5 years daily I can safely say there are some atrociously unaware drivers on it.

Haven't seen that biker in over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,642 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Banzai600 wrote: »
    yup, this and worse without luggage. gs riders are not alone in this though ( but gs riders insist on full luggage to carry an apple to work is beyond me....)

i dont use the m50 all the time, but some riders are as bad as car drivers, riding up your inside or outside in the same lane, without you even knowing they are there !

I do filter in the much slower moving traffic, and fall in behind when it gets going again, but id always give the car driver the time to spot me as such, dont get me started on bikers.

bad enough driving is in general , our own kind on two wheels can really p!ss you off with the **** i mentioned above.

Tbf on the M50 I do see the minority of fast bikers who come our of no where. I see more normal speed bikers who arrive and the unawareness is on behalf of the others. The mirrors are their to be checked it's actually a basic part of the license test.

If you aren't checking your mirrors every so often then you aren't aware of what's around you. Someone who's been sitting behind you for five minutes didn't come out of nowhere. Incredibly frustrating unaware bikers . I make it a point of watching for mirror checks .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

mamax wrote: »
    They would be the middle aged born again bikers that bought a new gs after watching charlie and ewan go rtw :p
    A guy I know did the same in 2010, previous to that his last bike was a rg125 back in the late 90's, bike got sold after a year.

Yeah but that was sixteen years ago (Charlie and Ewan that is) !! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Yeah but that was sixteen years ago (Charlie and Ewan that is) !! ðŸ˜

So have you ordered your livewire yet then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

Tbf on the M50 I do see the minority of fast bikers who come our of no where. I see more normal speed bikers who arrive and the unawareness is on behalf of the others. The mirrors are their to be checked it's actually a basic part of the license test.

If you aren't checking your mirrors every so often then you aren't aware of what's around you. Someone who's been sitting behind you for five minutes didn't come out of nowhere. Incredibly frustrating unaware bikers . I make it a point of watching for mirror checks .

trust me ive been around the block and well able to ride in any manor of situations, track, road or off road. And yes, im in my mirrors a lot. im not wet behind the ears.

idiots who plough by without giving you the decency to know they are there are asking for trouble. And im not talking poodling speeds either. they can
    ***k off and wait. i had one clown pass me in my lane underneath me at 100km the middle lane not so long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Opinions on this work/price on my blade

Carbs Cleaned
    Air filter and plugs fitted (I supplied)
    Chain & sprockets
    Tyres
    Brake pads
    Total including labour €750.00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Carbs Cleaned
    Air filter and plugs fitted (I supplied)
    Chain & sprockets
    Tyres
    Brake pads

Consider this, 300+ for a very decent set of tyres fitted on the bike. DID chain and sprocket 200+ fitted. So 200-250 for the rest. Yes, probably about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,943 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Carbs Cleaned - ??? could be an easy job, could take days.
    Air filter and plugs fitted (I supplied) - €30
    Chain & sprockets - supply and fit €200
    Tyres - supply and fit €250-300
    Brake pads - supply and fit €125

All depends on how much work the carbs took

Life ain't always empty.

The pads are EBC
    Tyres Dunlop GPR 300
    C&S varies on Wemoto from €140-180 plus delivery

I’ve no idea what work was needed on the carbs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Carbs take time to clean and setup and remove.
    Is the bike running well? If so I'd be happy enough with that.

• Advertisement

The pads are EBC
    Tyres Dunlop GPR 300
    C&S varies on Wemoto from €140-180 plus delivery

I’ve no idea what work was needed on the carbs

gpr300 €93 each front and back.
    I'd be buying my tyres online next time.

blade1 wrote: »
    gpr300 €93 each front and back.
    I'd be buying my tyres online next time.

Would the odd sized front tyre not make it more expensive?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Carbs take time to clean and setup and remove.
    Is the bike running well? If so I'd be happy enough with that.

Still don’t have the bike back it’s almost 3 weeks (January 6th) since I used it in.

I’ve no idea what needed to be done to the carbs.

Was quoted €80 for a paddock stand and bobbins by Lee earlier as well so have to check those out online to see whet else is about. I need to remove the fairings and give it a good clean once I get it back

Would the odd sized front tyre not make it more expensive?

Sometimes.
    Not here though.
    Shopping around will nearly always get you a good deal.

Screenshot-20200123-170456.jpg

You could get a Bridgestone BT016 PRO for €86 or a Conti Sport attack for €82.
    Both good tyres but not for high mileage (which I don't think you'll be doing on the blade????)

Even if you wanted to go more expensive you could get a Bridgestone S21 for €107

Screenshot-20200123-172020.jpg

Screenshot-20200123-171947.jpg

You could get a Bridgestone BT016 PRO for €86 or a Conti Sport attack for €82.
    Both good tyres but not for high mileage (which I don't think you'll be doing on the blade????)

Even if you wanted to go more expensive you could get a Bridgestone S21 for €107

Screenshot-20200123-172020.jpg

Screenshot-20200123-171947.jpg

High mileage? Me? :pac: the blade has just shy of 18k miles on it, I’ll be lucky to see 19k by the end of the year :o

High mileage? Me? :pac: the blade has just shy of 18k miles on it, I’ll be lucky to see 19k by the end of the year :o

Lee(and probably other places) also have good deals on certain tyres a lot of the time.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying anything about the total price of the work u got done.

Things can start adding up quickly and especially on bikes that have been laid up.

Lee(and probably other places) also have good deals on certain tyres a lot of the time.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying anything about the total price of the work u got done.

Things can start adding up quickly and especially on bikes that have been laid up.

Lee quoted me €230 plus fitting for a pair of Dunlop’s their labour rate is around €60 an hour.

Regarding the price, that’s no bother, the tyres, pads and chain/sprocket were entirely my choice, I was given advice on the likelihood of them not being reliable considering how long it was sitting.

• Advertisement

Lee quoted me €230 plus fitting for a pair of Dunlop’s their labour rate is around €60 an hour.

Regarding the price, that’s no bother, the tyres, pads and chain/sprocket were entirely my choice, I was given advice on the likelihood of them not being reliable considering how long it was sitting.

You got a bike that was laid up for years all sorted.
    If you sold it in the morning you could get the price of the bike plus what you spent on it no problem.

Advertisement