Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 BDO World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Twice as many posts as the PDC Grand Slam, 3x the PDC World Matchplay, 10x the PDC World Grand Prix. All similar 8 day events.

So clearly the second biggest darts tournament of the year, if that's really the way you want to measure it.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Twice as many posts as the PDC Grand Slam, 3x the PDC World Matchplay, 10x the PDC World Grand Prix. All similar 8 day events.

So clearly the second biggest darts tournament of the year, if that's really the way you want to measure it.

I was not posting in the darts section then

but it would change the point it was a rubbish comp that had 80 averages in the 80s or under

it had zero 100 averages

and 21 averages that were in the 70s and 60s

And these clowns that "ran this" have the nerve to call it "professional " and "world pro"

the comp is over and the players still dont know what they are getting or getting anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭sc86

Is it just irish winners the bdo give fake trophy to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

bassy wrote: »
    both would melt on the pdc stage,as been proven with Williams in the grandslam.and warren at hes age forget about the bigtime.

That's really not here nor there. As Johnny Giles likes to say - you take the game on it's merits.

It was a decent quality match scoring wise and two fellas who looked like they would go through a brick wall to win it. Plenty of tension and whatever you say about the BDO it throws up some very entertaining matches and last night was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sad that they dont even know of they get any money yet.

Very sad to see the BDO go the way it has. But very enjoyable match last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Sad that they dont even know of they get any money yet.

Very sad to see the BDO go the way it has. But very enjoyable match last night.

It's not nice for the players at all, I think the BDO knew from a long way out that there would be sweet fcuk all money in the pot but chose to drip feed information as they new players would pull out left, right and centre (particularly overseas players) if they knew just how little was on offer.

It's a sad state of affairs for a once great organisation but the BDO are completely at fault themselves. This is where being stubborn, arrogant and clueless gets you I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Bob Harris wrote: »
    That's really not here nor there. As Johnny Giles likes to say - you take the game on it's merits.

It was a decent quality match scoring wise and two fellas who looked like they would go through a brick wall to win it. Plenty of tension and whatever you say about the BDO it throws up some very entertaining matches and last night was that.

Either could easily lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the world's at Ally pally against say aseeda from Japan.

bassy wrote: »
    Either could easily lose in the 1st or 2nd round of the world's at Ally pally against say aseeda from Japan.

Well you can't argue with that logic!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

Well you can't argue with that logic!

Top notch logic as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

I enjoyed the tournament, and the posts on here. yes the quality wasnt great presentation wise apart from Matt Smith who is excellent as a presenter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I enjoyed the tournament, and the posts on here. yes the quality wasnt great presentation wise apart from Matt Smith who is excellent as a presenter.

Exactly as I thought, think Matt is excellent and I like John Gwynne on comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Enjoyed the tournament. Averages might not compare well to the PDC but some good performances and lots of exciting matches.

Untitled-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Exactly.

One of the most exciting “World” finals I’ve seen in years was McGeeney v Durrant, great excitement and drama.

I’d much prefer than that watching a lad romp home with 110 average

TbL

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Even if the BDO does fold (which is almost a certainty), the WDF will step in and take their place. In fact it would almost certainly be a good thing because the WDF will work with the PDC and we may actually have unification in darts. The WDF could run a World Amateur Championships with players qualifying through the PDC Challenge Tour and the various national organisations.

As long as the BDO limps on there will never be unification.

Prize money is out
    Warren gets 23k
    But ladies winner gets 10k
    So mens winner is 77k down on last week but ladies is much the same , very strange set up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Haha Des hung up the phone when asked about prize money.

https://twitter.com/A_Devonshire180/status/1217209764905615361?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

sc86 wrote: »
    Prize money is out
    Warren gets 23k
    So mens winner is 77k down on last week but ladies is much the same , very strange set up

Scandalous really

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

sc86 wrote: »
    Prize money is out
    Warren gets 23k

Have they actually been paid yet though? Releasing the prize money is one thing but actually paying it is another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Ridiculous from Jacklin, best case scenario he didn't have a clue what the prize money was going to be.

Looks far more likely though that he knew the fund would be well down on last year but chose to drip feed information and take the wait and see approach.

He knew the championship probably would have been cancelled with all the pull outs if he had of been honest, so it looks to me like he deceived the players.

His position is surely untenable at this stage and it leaves the BDO on life support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

i read the letter he sent out.. its says the bdo is stronger than ever etc. great future and great sponsers lined up... I doubt any of it is true to be honest.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/15/bdo-world-championship-prize-money-confirmed-lowest-since-1989-12060830/

How are these bdo lads so stupid to put up with this , people defending him on social media , its beyond stupid.
    But i suppose if they are all stupid he blends in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Why are the county boards facilitating this idiot, surly they could have had a vote of no confidence or something. Too late now I suppose, the WDF & PDC are taking control.

US2 wrote: »
    Why are the county boards facilitating this idiot, surly they could have had a vote of no confidence or something. Too late now I suppose, the WDF & PDC are taking control.

Because the old dopes in the counties are as thick as the players and the jacklins.

A moron could see that des was a liar. Prior to getting the jon he posted on darts forums, threatening people, saying he did not want the job.
    When he was going for the job promised he had sponsors lined up..another lie

Then when he messed up he tried to blame social media, tried to blame sportotal etc.

Sue Williams previously had the same issues, but did not reduce money.
    DEs is a con man, a scumbag who wished cancer on people, threatened them and made countless false promises.
    But he got in and will stay in because the people who voted for him are as bad as him

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Des looking after the missus there with the womens prize money I see.

I wonder when the money will be paid out though, has anyone received theirs yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Every day this once great organisation drops further and further down the sewer..sad to say but the quicker it winds up the better.

Des looking after the missus there with the womens prize money I see.

I wonder when the money will be paid out though, has anyone received theirs yet?

I just checked, didn't get anything yet.

Kingp35 wrote: »

The only donation so far is the 20 quid paid by the person who set up the fund.

It appears giving money to people who have just won thousands of pounds is not high up on people's list of priorities.

• Advertisement

Here is a copy of the letter that was sent to the players revealing the prize money. It clearly shows how utterly deluded Jacklin is. It's crazy stuff!

Advertisement