Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• It's mad how everything goes deathly calm in a microsecond.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,748 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hoping for stronger winds..... Obviously you don't have anything to worry about!

It's a common thing. Like when there's snow, there's people hoping it'll turn out like New York in the movie "The Day After Tomorrow".

Great if you're sitting home, stocked up and nowhere to go.. not so much if you have to get around in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

evelyn cusak - its very complicated to explain the warnings rte radio 1, atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

Several trees down around Maynooth now

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Looks like it. Meath, North Kildare, then Dublin & Louth possibly to get squall line conditions next.

499907.jpg

Wow, luckily we didn't get it bad so. About two minutes of heavy rain and it had passed. Seems Carlow Town might have been blocked out from the Wicklow Mountains which is a common occurrence with winds coming from that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town here. Seems we missed the squawl line. Nothing out of the ordinary here whatsoever.
    Moderate rain for a short time. Certainly not squawl line stuff.
    Only slightly windy and now mostly blue sky.

I usually hate seeing posts like this but have to say really nothing more than a blustery day here.

MT mentioned second wave may not be as bad as first. First was a non event. At present only 1 small ESB fault in entire county.

Did we dodge a bullet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

The wind has picked up in North Dublin. I pop home every lunchtime, the difference between the way there and the way back was notable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Mace Head got into Orange numbers by the skin if it's teeth at 13:00

Mace Head = 111 km/h gust

Every other station is back to Yellow or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

evelyn cusak - its very complicated to explain the warnings rte radio 1, atrocious.

Thought the same myself.. the presenter was asking her where warnings remain/are lifted etc. and she mumbled a bit and then told the presenter "it's very complicated" - like as if she was talking to a child

WTF is that all about, is she not supposed to inform the listeners!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

The term 'squall line' is new to me and I'm very much enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

To the poster in Leixlip this is the Leixlip road out of Maynooth

499909.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

tnegun wrote: »
    Several trees down around Maynooth now

I’m hearing one down at Confey in Leixlip too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,930 ✭✭✭pauldry

I reckon a few 120kph gusts likely in the North and West before day is out

That was an impressive 135kph in Roches Earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

very nasty out there:eek:

Newcastle Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Thought the same myself.. the presenter was asking her where warnings remain/are lifted etc. and she mumbled a bit and then told the presenter "it's very complicated" - like as if she was talking to a child

WTF is that all about, is she not supposed to inform the listeners!

Also agreed.

I hate all the grief that ME ships during events like this, but even I would suggest that Evelyn stick to the forecasting and hand the interviews / explanations to someone a bit more fluent on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Fia11 wrote: »

I have never heard of one before... But I am now excited to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Again I said early sat morning, doubt you were playing early sat morning as it was still dark. From about 630 - 8 30 it was pretty bad.

Possibly, my tee time was 8:24 so would have been out and about from 7 and saw nothing this bad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Fia11 wrote: »

And there was me thinking a squall line was what you'd see leading to Geronimo's Teepee during mating season. ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

very nasty out there:eek:

Newcastle Dublin

Is power still on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

irish1967 wrote: »
    Donegal Town here. Seems we missed the squawl line. Nothing out of the ordinary here whatsoever.

I usually hate seeing posts like this but have to say really nothing more than a blustery day here.

MT mentioned second wave may not be as bad as first. First was a non event. At present only 1 small ESB fault in entire county.

Did we dodge a bullet?

thought we were supposed to get another smack later on but looks like the worst may be staying offshore could get breezy again in the nex t couple of hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

irish1967 wrote: »

Did we dodge a bullet?

I was thinking of Mayo perhaps with those comments (and the reports we had on the thread from there), seems that you had it relatively easy in round one so probably round two for you will seem more intense. I did notice peak gusts of 110 km/hr at Donegal airport which I realize is some distance north of your location. Maybe Donegal town is sheltered somewhat from a south wind but this second round will be southwesterly. Also it has no particular focus like the squall line, it's just a tightening of isobars around 4-8 p.m. roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'm in Celbridge, on the Leixlip side and it's been ferocious out the window for the last hour at least. Dogs would normally be crying to get out for a walk at this stage but both are laying low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Rain has picked up in intensity - D14

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

h2005 wrote: »
    Possibly, my tee time was 8:24 so would have been out and about from 7 and saw nothing this bad

Out West Dublin it was bad. One poster had the speeds compared to Sat and Sat was stronger. Now that could change soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Winds still increasing in N kildare, just had highest gust so far 71.6kph. Trend still very much upwards

Negligible rain though, or perhaps the weather station is struggling with the rain angle

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

SpitfireIV wrote: »
    Downpour in Kilkenny City, some seriously heavy rain and a mighty flash of lightening and rap to thunder to boot...

Apparently the lightning hit a building in Loughboy but have no other details. Very severe squal but blew through very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is power still on?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

46 knots highest gust here in Wexford town which is about 85km/h. Bit disappointing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Dublin22 lashing, lashing, LASHING sideways rain and very strong winds
    The roof is rattling (top of apt block)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Gone wild here in SE Meath the last few minutes

Advertisement