Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sitting here looking out at the marina in Grand Canal Dock, D2. Boats are dancing in the wind. trying not to stand on each others toes. Lots of spray in the air. Thought it was a fire earlier it was that bad. New building soundproofed, so cant really hear outside. Watching the ripples along the water, less than 2 metres away from where I am. Waves building along the water, and watching it cleanse itself, by pushing all its rubbish towards the grand canal basin.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    No wonder there is such a big wind field with hurricane force winds at Fastnet Rock.

Hurricane force winds at fastnet are by no means unusual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ha that squall line has just hit me and put out my satellite for a moment! The coax is hanging on for dear life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Videos?

Back to a mist here again...

Caserment which is 10 minutes from you recorded a gust in excess of 100 kmh

Cop on will ye, stop trolling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Caserment which is 10 minutes from you recorded a gust in excess of 100 kmh

Cop on will ye, stop trolling

Weird considering the wind map shows max 40kph...

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-9.23,52.01,3000/loc=-7.197,53.008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Darwin wrote: »
    Squall line just passed through (SW Laois), definitely the most intense wind gusts of the day so far but nothing exceptional.

Had one intense blast of thunder and lightning then a deluge of rain and hail that blow off again as quickly, few minutes ago- Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curfumsarinn

Weather worsened slowly all morning here at work in West Waterford, finally coming to a head when the squall line passed over about 15 mins ago. For a few minutes it was absolutely horrendous, but now it's just a bright, breezy day. I'm glad we didn't have to face what the west/NW coast is after taking.

I think I'll head home at lunchtime and see has anything come down - I left the dog in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,771 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wind died off there for about 20 minutes but is back now here in Laois with that driving 45 degree rain. Road looks like a river outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Downpour in Kilkenny City, some seriously heavy rain and a mighty flash of lightening and rap to thunder to boot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

At the rate the squall line is moving, would say most of Kildare will get the severe storm conditions being reported from points west around 1:30 to 1:45 pm, Laois and Carlow more like 1:15 to 1:30. Then into Dublin and Meath by 2:00 to 2:30 p.m. ... effects of mountains for Wicklow coast may be to split the feature so that they get two squally intervals.

Currently thinking that round two for parts of the northwest will not be quite as intense as the first part of the storm although close perhaps. That second round will only be a bit of an afterthought for west Munster and south coast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mammychicken

Ferocious wind and sideways rain in Mullingar town, dreading the commute home. Thinking of you Graces7 x

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That's a visualisation tool, it was never intended for accurate meteorological observations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

When is this expected to peak and recede in Dublin, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wind has reawaken and revived out here. Building up again to high npise

West mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

At Dublin Airport, Saturday had a gust of 78 km/h compared to 67 km/h so far today. Casement had a gust of 89 km/h on Saturday and 107 km/h so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Only difference is its raining now, but early sat morning seemed stronger when I was out running.

I don’t agree, the wind is frighteningly loud now. ( South Dublin)

100kph where???

I told you already

Casement ye clown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Very calm and clear in east Co. Galway, is that the worst gone past so? Can I relax wondering when the electricity is going to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

To be fair, he is clinging onto that trampoline.

Just spat my tea on the keyboard and choked on my lunch.

In Leopardstown, fairly windy and the rain is almost horizontal. The building is well soundproofed so can't hear the wind but the trees around the golf and racing courses are moving.
    Husband in Meath also reports it's fairly windy. Cats are not impressed but then they rarely are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Honestly either I'm just lucky or that's a very geo-isolated moment. It's very underwhelming so far, it's a winter storm but subjectively nothing atypical.

Ha that squall line has just hit me and put out my satellite for a moment! The coax is hanging on for dear life.

Space of 10-15 minutes or so. Seems like a lot of the country is getting hit with a short intense burst. Obviously coastal areas are getting battered more consistently but I'm kind of hoping to catch a squall but I'm in the IFSC so doubt there'll be anything spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sunshine in kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I don’t agree, the wind is frighteningly loud now. ( South Dublin)

Post above shows Saturday gusts were stronger. Could be just the direction the wind is coming towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

The squall line passed over Clonmel about half an hour ago. All of sudden, torrential hail, massive lightning directly overhead out of nowhere, electricity immediately went out, lasted for five minutes. Since then, drizzle and calm.

If you're in the path of that squall line, you're in for a treat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Just arrived in kanturk after driving from dublin.
    Took about 3 hrs.
    6/10 for danger
    7/10 for general unpleasantness
    Some crosswinds and plenty of sheets of water on the M8 southbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Dublin 18 is pretty bad now

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Our building was hit by lightning about 15 mins ago in Kilkenny in the middle of a deluge of rain. Calm now.

Scary sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Yeah, weird that the wind map showed what conditions were like at least an hour ago

dLiAc52.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    When is this expected to peak and recede in Dublin, please.

Windguru has it peaking at midday and decreasing from then. Not sure how accurate this is!!

https://www.windguru.cz/242647

Advertisement