Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Brendan Monday 13 Jan 2020 ** See Mod note in OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

KingJeremy wrote: »
    There goes the wheelie bin, despite it being weighted down with blocks. Fortunately not too full so not much to pick up off the lawn.

It's recycling collection day here. All were emptied before the wind started to get a bit blowey, so all we have is a load of empty bins blowing around the road.

Better go out and pick them all up for everyone who is at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Wow just watched the LHR-ORK flight come in low over my office window here on final approach to Cork...I would NOT want to be on that. It is all over the place.

Wonder will it abort?

Update...it landed...bumpy I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

If this storm was hitting Dublin the whole country would be on a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭aidanodr

I thought I heard on virgin 1 earlier that there was a 137k recorded at fastnet this morning.

Fasnet is a few KMs off shore. Roches Pt and Mace Head are both onland albeit coastal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,539 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I thought I heard on virgin 1 earlier that there was a 137k recorded at fastnet this morning.

Gusts like that are not that unusual at an exposed site like Fastnet. I only look at the official synoptic stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭barneyrub

Has really picked up in sligo town in the last 20 mins or so. very strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Ludo wrote: »
    Wow just watched the LHR-ORK flight come in low over my office window here on final approach to Cork...I would NOT want to be on that. It is all over the place.

Wonder will it abort?
    just made it! phew...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Avoiding an injury to just one kid at school, or en route, warrants a school closure.

School would never open then. Get rid of the cotton wool

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

madalig12 wrote: »

No it wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Looks like reporters are out at Strandhill

https://www.strandhillsurfschool.com/surf_forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Tazio wrote: »
    just made it! phew...

Amsterdam flight coming in behind it according to FlightRadar after circling repeatedly...surely he can make it now also as both same type planes.

Just passed over me on approach...eek..nearly sideways and swaying like a mad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

Ludo wrote: »

Wonder will it abort?

Update...it landed...bumpy I would say.

Can somebody please give me a logical reason why any airline would knowing launch a plane to a destination knowing they were in the middle of a storm with gusts in excess of 130kph?:rolleyes:

Grow up. The system doesn't work like that. There is certain criteria set for the level of warnings. Criteria wasn't set by Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Evelyn said that the East will be over the worst by 3pm. Well considering it is now nearly 11.30am, this means either winds are going to dramatically ramp up in the next 3 hours or the winds will not even reach yellow level warning. Will wait and see.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

EI841 from Amsterdam on approach to Cork now. Pilot told ATC that they’re straight to Dublin if they have to go around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

barneyrub wrote: »
    Has really picked up in sligo town in the last 20 mins or so. very strong gusts

https://twitter.com/AldolexIrl/status/1216667175001427968?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Evelyn said that the East will be over the worst by 3pm. Well considering it is now nearly 11.30am, this means either winds are going to dramatically ramp up in the next 3 hours or the winds will not even reach yellow level warning. Will wait and see.

Kildare here and just lost a fence and a fair few tree limbs, where are you based?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Danno wrote: »
    Two flights into Cork doing alot of circling, the Amsterdam Aer Lingus, in particular.

All flights into and out of Cork are being delayed at present. No cancellations yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a few hefty gusts hitting west Dublin now

• Advertisement

Kildare here and just lost a fence and a fair few tree limbs, where are you based?

Very quiet in Dublin at the moment, small gusts but nothing major. Interesting to see how it goes later

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Celbridge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Avoiding an injury to just one kid at school, or en route, warrants a school closure.

That's crap.

What about adults? How come schools get blanket closed because it's too dangerous for kids yet adults are left to make up their own mind. Aren't the parents of these kids adults that can make the same call?

A sneeze and schools are on alert to be closed.

In fact I'd say it's even more dangerous for workers to go to work considering there's longer commutes.

That makes no sense...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Absolutely appalling conditions here now. Howling winds and sheeting rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,260 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DIF wrote: »
    Can somebody please give me a logical reason why any airline would knowing launch a plane to a destination knowing they were in the middle of a storm with gusts in excess of 130kph?:rolleyes:

I was on a flight into Derry many moons ago, on a night that set the gust record at the airport, and we had an awful landing after an initial abort.

The pilot made it clear over the tannoy after we were down that he was well within his legal limits to try a landing.

I'd say the limits are quite high!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I heard Alan from Carlow Weather (Villain on here right?) stressing on TodayFM about how MET Eireann have not issued any red warnings. Good on ya pushing back on that rubbish posted on Twitter last night.

Separately I'm in the Avoca Valley in Wicklow and it's surprisingly calm still. A southerly is the best scenario for me because the house is well sheltered from that direction. Westerly by far the worst for me. Worst yet to come for the East though.

I'm in arklow and its really kicking off here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Trees under pressure in Kildare, some big gusts. Power out in a few areas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Celbridge

You must be sheltered from the south, Clane is v windy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,260 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Heavy rain now started in north Donegal to add to the misery.

Advertisement