Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dr Dave

Great.
    Thank you both for the info.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

That's great info, MrCostington.

Good to hear you're sorted and on the road. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Dades wrote: »
    That's great info, MrCostington.

Good to hear you're sorted and on the road. :)

Cheers man!

Got a W123 Coupe, collecting it on Sat! My long search is over:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Autoline - no commuting and need garage, underground no good

[snip]

Not sure if not having a garage would have been a problem is getting TP only, or if living elsewhere.

I've a policy with Autoline - parked in own driveway. Must be down to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

macplaxton wrote: »

Actually, now that you mention it, I think a few of the companies would accept a driveway too. I did not take notes on that detail though. Anyway am more than happy with the FBD deal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Autoline was ok with driveway in Dublin for me ,Carole nash are ok with driveway but only outside Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I got sorted with Autoline lately. 230 fully comp with a named driver on a MK3 Fiesta.

Give the option of 1500, 3000 or 5000km p/a. Went with 3000. No commuting.

Asked whether garaged or not. Mine is garaged but they didn't say driveway was a no no.

Got my cert and disc emailed within 10 mins. Original to follow. It's actually with Allianz.
    They were recommended by my vintage club.
    One thing I liked was being able to add further vehicles to the policy. The Mrs. particulrly liked that bit.....:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Vehicles on the same policy share the milage limit though.

Either way .. Autoline are quite upfront and uncomplicated. That is for sure.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Vehicles on the same policy share the milage limit though.

Either way .. Autoline are quite upfront and uncomplicated. That is for sure.

/M

That's true. My reasoning would be that it's unlikely more than one vehicle would be on the road at the same time so the milage on each would be fairly low.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    That's true. My reasoning would be that it's unlikely more than one vehicle would be on the road at the same time so the milage on each would be fairly low.

That is generally the case. I have 2 on one policy with them now. One of them highly modified. And they have been really decent about it. But i went for 5k miles because I have more than one vehicle on the policy. And it will be 3 this year.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

What's First Ireland like with mods on 20+ years old?

Has anyone had any luck getting a classic policy for a Suzuki Jimny?

Anything Jap, your only choice is Autoline, really.

/M

Thanks - I called them, but they wouldn't quote for a Jimny, unfortunately.

What year is that Jimny ?

If it's 20 years old or more, I can't see, why they wouldn't. They certainly have no issues with offroaders.

/M

That's interesting. It's a 00 - just off the phone to them and they declined to quote because of the vehicle type.

Either way ... that means it is not 20 years old, yet, so none of them would really quote you.

Unless it was registered on the 1.1.2000 or 2.1.2000 ....

You're too quick of the mark there.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Marlow wrote: »
    Anything Jap, your only choice is Autoline, really.

/M

Riddle me this. I've seen a few European cars, that was made for the Japaneese market, and exported out to the UK. Like Mercs, Bmw's Vw's and so on. Would they be classed as Jap for insurance purchases, or is it just for Japaneese cars like Toyota, or Honda, for example?

And also, what have they got against Japaneese cars? They were superb.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I got sorted with Autoline lately. 230 fully comp with a named driver on a MK3 Fiesta.

I couldn't add Mrs to Autoline policy unless she had her own main car and own main insurance. As the main car and insurance is mine...not a problem really as she doesn't like driving old cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

I couldn't add Mrs to Autoline policy unless she had her own main car and own main insurance. As the main car and insurance is mine...not a problem really as she doesn't like driving old cars.

If her policy covers driving other cars then she can drive it under her policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Hi.
    Not sure if it has been posted here but is there a company that quotes classic insurance if your main driver is a comercial policy?
    Was on to Fbd yesterday and they said alot of companies are reviewing their criteria for classic policys over the next month.
    Especially for what i am trying to insure.
    A 1995 3dr corolla.
    She said that they were afraid people are using these cars as every day drivers.
    Local fbd office would not quote.
    Rang their vintage insurance department in head office and they quoted me 225 euro but there was a long list of limitations on it.
    They are sending out some forms and declarations and i will see then but im fairly sure they wont except a commercial policy.
    Currently looking for a daily driver but have not come across what i want yet.
    Sold my last daily about 4 weeks ago but i left the policy on it thinking i would have new car within a week or 2.
    Got a right ear full from my insurance company about the fact the car was sold and i didnt cancel the policy.
    I told him to transfer it to my 1995 corolla so and he wanted 130 euro extra to put it on till march so i told him to cancel policy.
    Sister was going to give me her car for a few weeks but im not allowed to insure it unless i own it.
    There is no policy on the car as she has bought a new car and this one is up for sale.
    Car insurance was so straight forward one time.
    Now it looks like every insurance company is trying to put in hurdles and loopholes in order to find a way out from paying out.

sann wrote: »
    Hi.
    Not sure if it has been posted here but is there a company that quotes classic insurance if your main driver is a comercial policy?

I got sorted with Autoline and my main policy and transport is my work van and my named driver's is as well. They asked what my other vehicle was and the reg. Weren't bothered that it was commercial.

I got sorted with Autoline and my main policy and transport is my work van and my named driver's is as well. They asked what my other vehicle was and the reg. Weren't bothered that it was commercial.

Sound.
    I will give them a buzz so.

• Advertisement

Rang Autoline there and got a qoute for 290.
    Has to be kept in garage over night, no commuting.
    No problem with main Driver being a Van.
    Will prob chance sending off the docs to FBD for the 225 quote and if that doesnt work out i will go with Autoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Riddle me this. I've seen a few European cars, that was made for the Japaneese market, and exported out to the UK. Like Mercs, Bmw's Vw's and so on. Would they be classed as Jap for insurance purchases, or is it just for Japaneese cars like Toyota, or Honda, for example?

And also, what have they got against Japaneese cars? They were superb.

This is directly as a result of people insuring Toyota Glanzas and pretending they were Starlets. The industry got burned!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭selectamatic

w124man wrote: »
    This is directly as a result of people insuring Toyota Glanzas and pretending they were Starlets. The industry got burned!

That hasn't been a thing since the mid 2000's when the insurance companies just counter acted by charging basically the same price to insure any sort of a starlet.

From what I can see some of the companies are really missing a trick with the no jap rule because autoline appear to be cleaning up.

That hasn't been a thing since the mid 2000's when the insurance companies just counter acted by charging basically the same price to insure any sort of a starlet.

From what I can see some of the companies are really missing a trick with the no jap rule because autoline appear to be cleaning up.

Autoline is just a broker. The policy is with Allianz. Would Allianz refuse to quote a jap car is asked directly?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Tried to get my e39 530d 2003 as a second car classic and its a no go... so i have no options now to insure... this country really a joke not being able to have 2 cars legally on the road with a fair price

Autoline is just a broker. The policy is with Allianz. Would Allianz refuse to quote a jap car is asked directly?

I believe they do.

Open to correction though.

Tried to get my e39 530d 2003 as a second car classic and its a no go... so i have no options now to insure... this country really a joke not being able to have 2 cars legally on the road with a fair price

Shure classic insurance only kicks in at 20 years old. How did you think you'd get the 530 insured as a classic?

I believe they do.

Open to correction though.

You're probably right.

Shure classic insurance only kicks in at 20 years old. How did you think you'd get the 530 insured as a classic?

I was going to make the same point. Very very few cars are accepted as classics before the 20 year mark. It is completely nonsense to even try.

/M

• Advertisement

First Ireland went on a bit of a solo run a few years ago accepting some 15 year old Mercedes, Audi and BMW cars but they've stopped offering this since about late 2017.

Advertisement