Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

You can get an insurer to insure it.

If the period of insurance is in excess of 42 days, the insurer is obliged to report to Revenue.

That's the insurance angle. Obviously there are other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi all I currently only drive my own van for work and would like to get a car and insure it in classic insurance.will they take my commercial policy into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mic-12345

Anyone insuring a 20 year old car on classic with Axa.
    I have a classic policy with them on two 25+ vehicles, looking to add a 1998 to the policy.

Website states 25+, just wondering before I make the phonecall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

My 1999 320SL is on a classic policy with AXA. I have three other older cars on the same policy

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Mic-12345 wrote: »
    ...looking to add a 1998 to the policy.

Website states 25+, just wondering before I make the phonecall.

They do it on a case by case basis, and it very much depends on the vehicle in question.

FBD are the very same for 'modern classics'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

marcos_94 wrote:
    Would I be right in saying that a classic car policy with FBD allows anyone between 25 - 70 can drive the car?

That's certainly the case with my two classic policies with FBD.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Insurance companies

You forgot this one:

Autoline

2 Ashtree Enterprise Park
    Rathfriland Road
    Newry
    Co Down
    BT34 1BY

For anything modified or jap import nearly the only one viable.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Mic-12345

Testacalda wrote: »
    They do it on a case by case basis, and it very much depends on the vehicle in question.

FBD are the very same for 'modern classics'
    Yes that seems to be the case
    w124man wrote: »
    My 1999 320SL is on a classic policy with AXA. I have three other older cars on the same policy

Cheers lads, got sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Do you know who would cover a M5 BMW 2006 on classic. I have a policy with Autoline but they say it has to be 20 years old.
    I remember reading before that someone would cover BMW as classic from 10 years, or did I imagine that.

I remember reading before that someone would cover BMW as classic from 10 years, or did I imagine that.

Never 10 years old. Sometimes 15 years old .. for example Rolls Royce or Jags. But not a BMW .. not even the M5.

My '99 M5 has just turned 20, so I'm grand :)

/M

• Advertisement

Ohh a E39, lovely machine.
    Guess I'll price what std insurance is, I'm 45 with a clean record so hopefully....

• Registered Users Posts: 31 OPollo

Do you know who would cover a M5 BMW 2006 on classic. I have a policy with Autoline but they say it has to be 20 years old.
    In what case it could classify as a classic ? :D
    Sometimes i read those posts and wondering what kind a mushroom you eating there :D

Well I u read above it mentions some cars are classed as classic at 15 years. So who's on mushrooms now eh....
    And my Subaru is classed as as classic and when I bought it it was under 20 years by a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Well I u read above it mentions some cars are classed as classic at 15 years. So who's on mushrooms now eh....
    I am not sure who is. But these you are on are making you trying to crack the traditional mathematics :D.

Ah here .. there is no harm him asking.

But at 10 years, one is chancing his arm and his leg ... common sense would have dictated that.

At 15 years there is a chance for some vehicles.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

mattroche wrote: »
    Alternatively, put your Classic in your partners name, with you a named driver.

Is this not what is termed fronting? Which is illegal. If you are for all intents and purposes the main driver it's illegal to claim you aren't and claim that the main policy holder is the main driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lancevance82

How's it going folks, tried the search function on the thread but wouldn't work for me.

Am wondering if anyone is insuring classically, any high powered Japanese classic cars that are aged between 25-30 and if so who are you with?

How's it going folks, tried the search function on the thread but wouldn't work for me.

Am wondering if anyone is insuring classically, any high powered Japanese classic cars that are aged between 25-30 and if so who are you with?

Only choice: Autoline.

Anyone else will fob you off. But they are dead on, straight forward and no bull****.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lancevance82

Marlow wrote: »
    Only choice: Autoline.

Anyone else will fob you off. But they are dead on, straight forward and no bull****.

/M

Thanks for that, unfortunately their criteria has changed. I got a quote on the car in question in January last. Car wasn't ready till April and they've now told me you need to be thirty to insure high performance vehicles. I'm 27.

My interpretation of it is all the young lads that can't get insured with liberty were taking out classic policies on lexus' and the likes and screwed up the system. It was always 25 to get a a classic policy but seems to be thirty with a lot of places now.

So basically I have a car that I can't drive now till I turn 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

What year is the car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I got my 20 year old Japanese "performance" car insured with Chill.ie of all people and they were over half what anyone else was quoting, but I am 50 and own the car for many years and like you found they told me they didn't entertain anyone under 30 on those kind of cars.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Thanks for that, unfortunately their criteria has changed. I got a quote on the car in question in January last. Car wasn't ready till April and they've now told me you need to be thirty to insure high performance vehicles. I'm 27.

My interpretation of it is all the young lads that can't get insured with liberty were taking out classic policies on lexus' and the likes and screwed up the system. It was always 25 to get a a classic policy but seems to be thirty with a lot of places now.

So basically I have a car that I can't drive now till I turn 30.

Get on to https://www.theinsurables.ie/

I am in the same position as you - have tried and failed to get a classic policy with Autoline several times due to the car being a Japanese import and I am under 30.

The Insurables sorted me out with a decent quote in under 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Dublin43D1

Hey all, having problems getting insurance on an 86 BMW. I dont have a daily driver so cannot get classic insurance, and also the insurance companies I have called wont cover it under a general policy either. Am 43yo and its a clean e28... no boy racer here. Anyone had similar issues and found cover?

Dublin43D1 wrote: »
    Hey all, having problems getting insurance on an 86 BMW. I dont have a daily driver so cannot get classic insurance, and also the insurance companies I have called wont cover it under a general policy either. Am 43yo and its a clean e28... no boy racer here. Anyone had similar issues and found cover?
    ONLY in Ireland :(
    Get a 200 eur tiniest shaitbox, insure it, then go back to classic insurer, get insurance, cancel the first one ;)

OPollo wrote: »
    ONLY in Ireland :(
    Get a 200 eur tiniest shaitbox, insure it, then go back to classic insurer, get insurance, cancel the first one ;)

Would not work.

Most classic insurers don't ask for proof of main car policy when you take out the insurance.

They will ask for it when you need to make a claim, or someone claims off you.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Would not work.

Most classic insurers don't ask for proof of main car policy when you take out the insurance.

Autoline will ask you. But they will also accept the fact, that you have a commercial or that your employer provides you with a van/car for work.

Basically as long as you don't use your classic/vintage for your daily commute or for work related trips.

/M

Would not work.

Works ideally tilll you crash ... Just to get the tag on the windscreen ...

OPollo wrote: »
    Works ideally tilll you crash ... Just to get the tag on the windscreen ...

That was my point. It's all well and good until you actually need the insurance.

That was my point. It's all well and good until you actually need the insurance.
    Same time he can keep the first car off from the road (no tax then) and keep the insurance on both cars. At that age its not a killer anyways ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Dublin43D1

Got sorted with AXA in the end. General policy and the the price was 'reasonable'. Thanks for all the advice. Picked up the car in UK on Saturday and drove it home.

Advertisement