Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Do any companies other than Autoline do an agreed value on their policies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Who provides the highest mileage allowance on classic car policies?

What's to stop you putting the car in the wifes name, getting her to insure it as a classic, then you drive it with your car policy if you have 3rd party cover on driving other cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Tzardine wrote: »

Chubb do

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Tzardine wrote: »

Carole Nash do. I've one.
    Sent them a folder of 50 selected images and invoices from the restoration process, and they agreed, however excluded all labour costs.

Who provides the highest mileage allowance on classic car policies?

First Ireland have a 10000 miles (yes, miles...) option. Not cheap though. About 3x as much as the next lower option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Carole Nash have been for my broker on my Wolseley for nearly all the past 12 years. I've found their renewal rate reasonable at a smidgeon under 200 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Does anyone know if any of the usual classic car companies are insuring Japanese imports for under 30 year olds?

I am aware of one broker that will but it is very limited mileage and the price is almost the same as a standard insurance policy.

I have rang around all of them and they all say they don't cover Japanese performance cars for under 30 year old drivers.

I know people that are under 30 and are currently insured on Japanese cars with Autoline, so this must be a rule for new customers only?

Is there anything that would help my case, such as joining a classic car club?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any of the usual classic car companies are insuring Japanese imports for under 30 year olds?

Only Autoline, really. And they may not do it for under 30 year olds anymore.

/M

_ptashek_ wrote: »
    First Ireland have a 10000 miles (yes, miles...) option. Not cheap though. About 3x as much as the next lower option.

Thanks! What mileage\km is the next lower option?

Thanks! What mileage\km is the next lower option?

If memory serves, it's 2000, 4000, 6000 and 10000 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭User1998

Is it possible to get classic insurance at age 21? I have a regular car policy and would like a classic one too for a weekend car. Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

hi, hopefully someone can help, i tried looking but cant seem to find out possibilities of getting classic insurance if i just have commercial insurance on a van?
    appreciate any info, ta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

LaFuton wrote: »
    hi, hopefully someone can help, i tried looking but cant seem to find out possibilities of getting classic insurance if i just have commercial insurance on a van?
    appreciate any info, ta

I've been wondering similar. I have a company van and would like to get rid of my main car and just run a classic or two using it as my main vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Interslice wrote: »
    I've been wondering similar. I have a company van and would like to get rid of my main car and just run a classic or two using it as my main vehicle.

I am kinda in the same boat i gave up my own main car insurance policy a few years ago to build up my no claims bonus again they are going to rob me so my mechanic told me i should look for garage/dealer insurance so i can drive any car including my classic collection on it . If i can get it for 1200 euro it wont be much of a hit. I am driving as named driver on my mothers car for a number of years with no points or claims on it. Its away of driving a classic as a everyday car not cheap but should get me back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

homingbird wrote: »
    I am kinda in the same boat i gave up my own main car insurance policy a few years ago to build up my no claims bonus again they are going to rob me so my mechanic told me i should look for garage/dealer insurance so i can drive any car including my classic collection on it . If i can get it for 1200 euro it wont be much of a hit. I am driving as named driver on my mothers car for a number of years with no points or claims on it. Its away of driving a classic as a everyday car not cheap but should get me back on the road.

You will find it extremely difficult to get trade or part time trade insurance, if you do not have at least 2 years no claims.

And 1200 is unlikely.

It also very much depends, if you want towing and/or motorbikes as part of it.

Last I had part time trade with 3 years no claims it was 2300 EUR. Came down to 1800 over the next 2 years or so. I could have knocked that down by 400 for loosing the cover for motorbikes. For full time trade, they will require proof that you have a business premise and VAT number more than likely.

Be also aware, that theft outside of said compound may be hard to get covered. Even for vehicles in your own name.

Another down side of trade insurance is, that there is no such thing as no claims protection nor windscreen cover.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

In response to the posts above about company cars and classic insurance, the following may be of interest.

I spoke to Carole Nash about this earlier this week, as I might be changing to a company car next year ie. my current vehicle might be transferred to a company. It's a commercial (Ford Ranger), but registered at the moment in my own name. Carole Nash are fine with providing classic car insurance where your daily driver is a commercial vehicle, but only as long as it's registered in your own name.

If my vehicle changes to company ownership, CN will not provide me with classic car insurance, as my daily driver will no longer be in my own name. There are 2 ways around this: buy a cheap runabout as a daily driver, or buy a motorbike. As far as I can make out, CN will provide classic car insurance if you have a motorbike, even a Honda 50 or similar.

The other interesting thing I was told is that the no claims bonus on the commercial vehicle will transfer to the company insurance policy with the vehicle. But it can never be transferred back. So if the company folds for whatever reason, that's the end of the NCB. The only way to keep the NCB in my policy will be to buy the cheap runabout, and transfer my insurance to that. The company will then have to obtain a new insurance policy for the commercial vehicle, and will have to start the NCB from scratch.

The insurance set up in this country is absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

The **** they get away with is unbelievable

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had NCB issues as well recently.

Apparently you get no NCB with a classic policy, so when I went to get insure a second 'modern' car I was looking at starting from scratch. I had to insure the missis for the first time on a car in her name which worked out cheap enough luckily.

One to be aware of if switching from a classic to something not considered classic for insurance purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Can I check with limited mile classic policies from my research commuting isn't covered at all from or to a fixed place of work or you risk being bankrupted by a claim when the insurer declines paying out. That means the car cant be used during the work day at all realistically. Is this right even if you have a main car??

Marlow wrote: »
    You will find it extremely difficult to get trade or part time trade insurance, if you do not have at least 2 years no claims.

And 1200 is unlikely.

It also very much depends, if you want towing and/or motorbikes as part of it.

Last I had part time trade with 3 years no claims it was 2300 EUR. Came down to 1800 over the next 2 years or so. I could have knocked that down by 400 for loosing the cover for motorbikes. For full time trade, they will require proof that you have a business premise and VAT number more than likely.

Be also aware, that theft outside of said compound may be hard to get covered. Even for vehicles in your own name.

Another down side of trade insurance is, that there is no such thing as no claims protection nor windscreen cover.

/M
    Did trade cover personal use for commuting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

lomb wrote: »
    Can I check with limited mile classic policies from my research commuting isn't covered at all from or to a fixed place of work or you risk being bankrupted by a claim when the insurer declines paying out. That means the car cant be used during the work day at all realistically. Is this right even if you have a main car??

My classic policy covers commuting.

Neilw wrote: »
    My classic policy covers commuting.

Who are you with, broker/insurer, and is it classic or trade? cheers

Autoline classic car policies do not cover commuting.

I too would be interested in hearing about companies that provide commuting on a classic car policy. Not that I want to commute every day in it. But it would be nice to do so once a week, or even once a month, to give the car a good run.

Autoline classic car policies do not cover commuting.

I too would be interested in hearing about companies that provide commuting on a classic car policy. Not that I want to commute every day in it. But it would be nice to do so once a week, or even once a month, to give the car a good run.

Exactly, there isn't any reason not too cover it for even occasional use for a fee.No real enthusiast is going to want to rack up miles on any real classic anyway and should have a modern vehicle anyway that they would prefer for this.

No real enthusiast is going to want to rack up miles on any real classic anyway and should have a modern vehicle anyway that they would prefer for this.
    I put 12,000k on the clock over two years commuting in a classic. I consider that real enthusiasm.

Dades wrote: »
    I put 12,000k on the clock over two years commuting in a classic. I consider that real enthusiasm.

Was it a classic car policy that covered commuting
    ? Who was the insurer?

I actually can't remember who the insurer was it was through a broker. Might have been Aviva. It was an unlimited policy alright. Whether it expressly said anything about commuting I don't know, I never intended to be making that commute for so long, tbh.

If it was something I was getting into now, I'd probably check.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dr Dave

Hey All,

Would anyone have an updated list of classic car insurers they could put up or direct me to?
    I'm talking Classic, not vintage, and ordinary classic rather than something James Bond would have driven in the 60's

Just spoke to Carole Nash, Axa has now taken over their insurance book so they are restricted in the cars they can insure.
    Not a single Fiat was on the books, even ancient ones i.e. 1960 500.
    The guy I spoke to was quite nice about it, they can only insure what is in front of them on the screen.
    I did have an X1/9 insured with CN some years back and he said that they have to honor current policies, but the second they are allowed lapse they won't quote for the car again if it is not on the new (and seemingly very restricted) Axa list.
    So, if you are happy with your Ins from CN on an everyday classic, don't forget to renew or you might be locked out.

After years of a house rebuild, job move, location move, new house build etc I am just about ready to actually have something small ready for road to enjoy on the weekends / jaunts etc (along with a shed full of projects that may or may not see road) I really hope insurance isn't going to be impossible.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give.

There's a list 5 to 10 pages back. Basically there are several insurers doing classics. Fbd, chubb, Ageon, axa, Aig , allianz. and the main brokers are campion (fbd),Brophy portlaoise(axa), first ireland (aig) Carole nash(ageon), Irish vintage scheme (fbd) autoline,Barrets private in dun laoighaire(chubb) 20000euro classic portfolio only minimum.
    Anything modded autoline is only real option unless it's through the vintage scheme
    Brokers are prob a better option and surprisingly? cheaper!! and unless you need commuting autoline seems to be the go to with buy back salvage , agreed value, reasonable multi car. First ire are good also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I finally took out my first policy yesterday. Living in Dublin, wanted to be able to commute to work nice days, and don't have a garage but do have underground parking. My experiences:

Liberty - just tried online as have daily with them, website said no

Axa - waiting on a callback

Brophy insurance - €440 fully comp but no commuting

Campion * - no commuting, i ended call there

Autoline - no commuting and need garage, underground no good

Carol Nash - need garage

First Ireland (AIG) ticked all boxes and €310 fully comp, 4,000 miles p/a

FBD - on the advice here I went into the Drumcondra office - ticked all boxes and €200 fully comp, no milage limit as such but he put down 10-15k, so I did it there and then and got my cert there.

* just seen from post above that Campion are brokers for FBD so no idea what they said no commuting. I asked thet question twice in FBD and was told it was ok to do so occasionally.

Not sure if not having a garage would have been a problem is getting TP only, or if living elsewhere.

PS I told the guy in FBD about the advice I've seen here and he was very interested! Gave me few cards to give out at shows so he won't mind me putting his details here - Gavin @ FDB Drumcondra 01 428 2266 and he said should be no problem to arrange over phone

Advertisement