Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Bus Boy

Like its been already said, Chubb are fantastic in this department. Best in the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Can I get a Suzuki Cappucino 1993 insured as mileage limit free/daily driver ? Yay or nay ?Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

2011abc wrote: »
    Can I get a Suzuki Cappucino 1993 insured as mileage limit free/daily driver ? Yay or nay ?Ta.

It might be an issue with some of them, simply because its a Japanese car.
    Autoline and FBD wont have an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Not sure with the daily driver bit. I'm with FBD and the policy covers Vintage and Show Display only. No mention of a mileage limit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Yay. Get three knock-backs and head off to the declined cases committee.

https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Tzardine wrote: »
    Has anybody been able to get an agreed value with insurers other than autoline?

It's almost time for me to renew, currently with Autoline and have an agreed value. Want to shop around but the agreed value is a necessity.

Value is not massive - only 5000. Would I be expected to jump through loads of hoops to prove the value - autoline just accepted it.

Carole Nash do agreed value policies. I've one with them for quite a bit more than 5k. Sent them a folder of 50 A4-size images from the restoration project, and they issued a policy about a week later, and didn't require any additional validation or valuation.

However, they may require an official club valuation or send their own valuer, depending on car (probably if it's something odd or rare). That's what I was told at the time.

And the nice bit is, they do multi-car policies, where one can be agreed value, the other market value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

RobAMerc wrote: »
    It might be an issue with some of them, simply because its a Japanese car.
    Autoline and FBD wont have an issue with it.

Do FBD insure Japanese cars? I've heard Autoline have changed their terms and won't insure anything under 25 years old as a classic anymore.
    My policy with them is up for renewal next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

Do FBD insure Japanese cars? I've heard Autoline have changed their terms and won't insure anything under 25 years old as a classic anymore.

Are you sure that change with Autoline applies to existing customers or is it just new customers trying to take out a policy that will be affected?

I'm not an expert on insurance matters, but I thought once you had a policy with them that they have to keep insuring you.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RR3.5

[ring Autoline and get the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

pachanco wrote: »
    Are you sure that change with Autoline applies to existing customers or is it just new customers trying to take out a policy that will be affected?

I'm not an expert on insurance matters, but I thought once you had a policy with them that they have to keep insuring you.

I'm not sure at all tbh. I'm just going by what I'd heard recently. Hopefully they keep me on their books anyway.

• Advertisement

https://www.autoline.co.uk/car-insurance/classic-vehicle-insurance/
    What factors impact you getting a classic policy
    It’s important to note that there are some factors to take into account before applying for classic car insurance:

Driver Age - Policyholders have to be over 25, although some higher performance and imported vehicles will require drivers to be 30 plus.
    ROI Residents - A vehicle has to be 20+ years if you are a resident of the Republic of Ireland.
    NI Residents - A vehicle has to be over 20 years; although consideration will be given to vehicles at 15 years on a bespoke basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Hi all ,

Does anybody know of a classic insurer that doesn't stipulate no commuting in their policy ?

Read an old thread here from 2016 and it someone stated that "first Ireland" do an optional add on to their classic policy of "Increase my cover to include occasional travel to business meetings." . Has anybody availed of this or know of a similar cover level offered elsewhere?

I have a daily driver , but do on occasion want to be able to drive my classic to work ...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Senor Frog wrote: »
    Hi all ,

Does anybody know of a classic insurer that doesn't stipulate no commuting in their policy ?

Read an old thread here from 2016 and it someone stated that "first Ireland" do an optional add on to their classic policy of "Increase my cover to include occasional travel to business meetings." . Has anybody availed of this or know of a similar cover level offered elsewhere?

I have a daily driver , but do on occasion want to be able to drive my classic to work ...

Thanks

I was chatting to first ireland a few weeks ago and they said they allow commuting to work but best call them to confirm

marcos_94 wrote: »
    I was chatting to first ireland a few weeks ago and they said they allow commuting to work but best call them to confirm

Thanks will give them a call . Did they say anything about maximum mileage options ?

Senor Frog wrote: »
    Thanks will give them a call . Did they say anything about maximum mileage options ?

Can’t remember the low mileage option(think it was 2000 miles) then 4000, 6000, and 10000 mile options. I’m going to be calling them tomorrow to finalise insurance so can report back

https://www.firstireland.ie/personal/classic/assumptions.php
    The Proposer should:
    be the legal owner and main user of the vehicle.
    be currently resident in the Republic of Ireland and have permanently resided in the Republic of Ireland.
    disclose all material information for all drivers (i.e. information likely to influence the assessment and acceptance of your Proposal).
    providing false information could result in claims not being paid and/or your policy being treated as null and void.
    be a genuine classic car enthusiast and a member of a classic car club.

All Drivers should:
    be aged 25 years or more.
    hold a full licence (with the exception of the policyholder spouse).
    not suffer from any medical condition which may affect their ability to drive, unless notified to and approved by the Licence authority.
    not have had a proposal declined, cancelled, refused or special terms imposed by an insurer.

The Vehicle MUST NOT:
    be less than 20 years old.
    be used to carry corrosive, toxic, explosive or flammable goods.
    be used in airports.
    be used for hire or reward or the carriage of other people’s goods.
    be used for the carriage of people for Hire and Reward – (taxi, hackney, chauffer, vehicle hire).
    be used for Delivery.
    be used for Driving Instruction or Tuition.
    be used for Embassy / Diplomatic Service.
    be modified unless to cater for a disability.
    be mass produced. (Car types such as a Fiat Punto do not qualify under our classic car scheme).
    be the proposers only vehicle.

Can’t remember the low mileage option(think it was 2000 miles) then 4000, 6000, and 10000 mile options. I’m going to be calling them tomorrow to finalise insurance so can report back

That would be great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

The Vehicle MUST NOT:
    be used in airports.
    be used for the carriage of people for Hire and Reward – (taxi, hackney, chauffer, vehicle hire).
    be used for Delivery.
    be mass produced. (Car types such as a Fiat Punto do not qualify under our classic car scheme).

Is that not pretty much every car excluded? What do they insure, hand made cars only.

Tzardine wrote: »
    The Vehicle MUST NOT:
    be used in airports.
    be used for Delivery.

Is that not pretty much every car excluded? What do they insure, hand made cars only.

I dont really get how they decide what is mass produced. I called asking about classic insurance on a 1999 VW golf GTi and was told its a mass produced car so they would not insure it, but was given quotes for a 2000 E200 and 2000 BMW 520i saloons and estates!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I dont really get how they decide what is mass produced. I called asking about classic insurance on a 1999 VW golf GTi and was told its a mass produced car so they would not insure it, but was given quotes for a 2000 E200 and 2000 BMW 520i saloons and estates!

I did a quick google out of curiosity there and was very surprised to read that a VW Golf has been sold every 41 seconds since 1974.

That's a lot.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

I did a quick google out of curiosity there and was very surprised to read that a VW Golf has been sold every 41 seconds since 1974.

That's a lot.

I dont disagree witht he golf, I just would have thought that the GTI may have been treated differently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Silvera wrote: »
    Glad my info is of use shagman !

P.S. €845 for a 3 litre car (in everyday use!) doesn't sound too bad to me !

Or to play devil's advocate, it's strong money for "only" 135 bhp 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Any hope for a classic policy on a 19yr old car? I see autoline in Newry can cover NI cars from 15, have a policy with 123 on a 2006 car but wouldn't be able to switch to the old car for the summer due to age, is my only option to cancel policy and find an insurance company who will cover both cars until it reaches 20 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

minzabud wrote: »
    Any hope for a classic policy on a 19yr old car? I see autoline in Newry can cover NI cars from 15, have a policy with 123 on a 2006 car but wouldn't be able to switch to the old car for the summer due to age, is my only option to cancel policy and find an insurance company who will cover both cars until it reaches 20 years?

I had my 01 and 03 cars with them up til last year in RoI, with no issues.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

It really depends on what the car it actually is. The final say being with the underwriting gods.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Got sorted with 123 no hassle or charge in the end, may have worked in my favour going from a 2.2d to a 1.8t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

galwaytt wrote: »
    I had my 01 and 03 cars with them up til last year in RoI, with no issues.

It only applies to new business and they have only recently implemented the 25 year cut off recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 4

Just off the phone trying to insure a standard, convertible 20 year old Toyota (not a jap import), aged >30 myself.

Carole Nash and First Ireland didn't get past the word 'Toyota' - does not compute. Carole Nash said underwriters Axa provide them with a list of cars they will cover - if its not on list they won't cover it - I find that hard to believe.

Autoline mulled it over but came back saying their underwriter wouldn't allow an exception to the new 25 year rule.

Haven't tried IVETA/Campion/FBD as I've heard here only covered for 'show use' and the insurance proposal form also states that for a convertible car cover is 3rd party only.

Has anyone got any other suggestions/local brokers ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

4 wrote: »
    Haven't tried IVETA/Campion/FBD as I've heard here only covered for 'show use' and the insurance proposal form also states that for a convertible car cover is 3rd party only

I'm with FBD since Jan with an '83 Merc, there is no show only restrictions, even have no problem driving to work the odd time (but not FOR work, of course). No idea if they will take a 20 y/o Toyota though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I'm with FBD since Jan with an '83 Merc, there is no show only restrictions, even have no problem driving to work the odd time (but not FOR work, of course). No idea if they will take a 20 y/o Toyota though.

Yeah FBD are very easy to deal with and great value too.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement