Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic insurance - companies & brokers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dr Dave

10 years ago or so, I had a policy with CN on my X1/9 at the time. If I remember correctly, up to 5 cars could be on the policy and two drivers; for what was handy money. I was kind of hoping to repeat this again, but I assume it ain't going to happen this time. Still, we live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Anyone know who could/would insure a jap nissan 180sx import? Tried carole nash, autoline, adrian flux campion to no avail im 29, they said i have to be 30 Autoline and rest said wont insure a nissan. I had a twincam insured few years back with Autoline so thought I would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

revoke12 wrote: »
    Anyone know who could/would insure a jap nissan 180sx import? Tried carole nash, autoline, adrian flux campion to no avail im 29, they said i have to be 30 Autoline and rest said wont insure a nissan. I had a twincam insured few years back with Autoline so thought I would be ok.

Some of the clubs will insure you as a named driver on the policy, if the main holder is 30 years old. The problem with that is, that those policies are third party only and only cover you for shows etc.

But not being 30 is a real issue these days.

Autoline used to insure 25 and up, but if you didn't keep your policy up with them, then you lost out there when it changed.

Beyond that, the only way to insure it now and until you are 30 is taking out a normal policy or trade/part-time trade. Both which will be complicated and costly.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Some of the clubs will insure you as a named driver on the policy, if the main holder is 30 years old. The problem with that is, that those policies are third party only and only cover you for shows etc.

But not being 30 is a real issue these days.

Autoline used to insure 25 and up, but if you didn't keep your policy up with them, then you lost out there when it changed.

Beyond that, the only way to insure it now and until you are 30 is taking out a normal policy or trade/part-time trade. Both which will be complicated and costly.

/M

Its a balls i had autoline 3 years ago on a twincam and now rang and not a go at all rang all the usual and rang few others and still no go. Im panicking now have rang approx 15 diff crowds today to even get a quote nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

So I’m looking at getting a 2000 Audi TT under a classic policy. There’s a only a couple of them for sale at the moment. Would any of the classic insurers insure a 2001 or 2002? I know they can be quite rigid but would any of the insurers have a bit more flexibility?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭RR3.5

For correct information it is best to check with the insurance providers, as they appear to work on a case by case basis . Imo

marcos_94 wrote: »
    So I’m looking at getting a 2000 Audi TT under a classic policy. There’s a only a couple of them for sale at the moment. Would any of the classic insurers insure a 2001 or 2002? I know they can be quite rigid but would any of the insurers have a bit more flexibility?

For classic car has to be 20 years old as that’s the criteria for classic so you won’t get any classic on a 18 or 19 year old car there very strict on that also you need another car insured on the road for classic once you have those 2 things they will insure

revoke12 wrote: »
    For classic car has to be 20 years old as that’s the criteria for classic so you won’t get any classic on a 18 or 19 year old car there very strict on that also you need another car insured on the road for classic once you have those 2 things they will insure

Have a daily and another classic and was sure that it was at least 20 years but was hoping that maybe one of the insurers would be a bit more lenient and allow a 19 year old car

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

… was hoping that maybe one of the insurers would be a bit more lenient and allow a 19 year old car

FBD do it on a case by case basis. Was at a talk that was given by one of the guys in charge of the vintage insurance in FBD. While they obviously gave no hard and fast rules, it seems to depend on their perception of the car, for instance they would probably cover an MX5 if it wasn't of age yet, but possibly not a Skyline, WRX etc...

It also depends on the person, ie: what age they are, whether they have other classics insured already, have a policy with FBD already and whether they are a member of an established club or not.

Plus if enquiring, call the Mullingar office, that's where the classic team is based, and don't go though a broker.

Testacalda wrote: »
    FBD do it on a case by case basis. Was at a talk that was given by one of the guys in charge of the vintage insurance in FBD. While they obviously gave no hard and fast rules, it seems to depend on their perception of the car, for instance they would probably cover an MX5 if it wasn't of age yet, but possibly not a Skyline, WRX etc...

It also depends on the person, ie: what age they are, whether they have other classics insured already, have a policy with FBD already and whether they are a member of an established club or not.

Plus if enquiring, call the Mullingar office, that's where the classic team is based, and don't go though a broker.

Thanks for that advice! I will; give the Mullingar office a ring today and see what they say. Would make it a lot easier for me to find an Audi TT if they allowed a 2001!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 4

Hi there, can anyone give an update of which (if any) classic insurers currently entertain the notion 'modifications' ? (minor ones e.g. improved brakes, suspension rather than v8 engine swap)
    Thanks!

Testacalda wrote: »

Called FBD and was put through hell to get information. Was then told they only do Vintage policies (30+ years old) and was told there is nothing they can do. This was chatting to their Mullingar office after chasing them for 3 days. Useless really for what should have been a 5 minute call to ask about eligibility.

Will give First Ireland a call later today as they were much more helpful when discussing an Audi TT and they knew more about the car itself to understand the limited number of 2000 reg cars available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I called FBD myself last week and the only policy they could give me (on a 1978 MGB) was for driving the car to and from Classic car shows, but when I asked if it covered social use such as going for a drive on a sunny day they said no way. Ended up going with Carole Nash with a 5000km a year limited policy which was more than enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pachanco

I finally took out my first policy yesterday. Living in Dublin, wanted to be able to commute to work nice days, and don't have a garage but do have underground parking. My experiences:

Liberty - just tried online as have daily with them, website said no

Axa - waiting on a callback

Brophy insurance - €440 fully comp but no commuting

Campion * - no commuting, i ended call there

Autoline - no commuting and need garage, underground no good

Carol Nash - need garage

First Ireland (AIG) ticked all boxes and €310 fully comp, 4,000 miles p/a

FBD - on the advice here I went into the Drumcondra office - ticked all boxes and €200 fully comp, no milage limit as such but he put down 10-15k, so I did it there and then and got my cert there.

* just seen from post above that Campion are brokers for FBD so no idea what they said no commuting. I asked thet question twice in FBD and was told it was ok to do so occasionally.

Not sure if not having a garage would have been a problem is getting TP only, or if living elsewhere.

PS I told the guy in FBD about the advice I've seen here and he was very interested! Gave me few cards to give out at shows so he won't mind me putting his details here - Gavin @ FDB Drumcondra 01 428 2266 and he said should be no problem to arrange over phone

A lot of recommendations for FBD Classic policies on here lately...

I just had a quick look at the website and I'm not sure if the cover being offered verbally in branch matches up with the small print of the policy documents?

Can anyone who has taken out a classic policy with fbd lately confirm whether the policy document restricts drivers to vintage show and display only?

Thanks

https://www.fbd.ie/car-insurance/vintage-classic-cars/
    Are there any restrictions on cover?
    This product is suitable for occasional vintage show and display use. You will need to tell us if your vehicle is used for any other purpose.
    It’s possible for cover to be restricted to third party only. If this applies to you it will be noted on your policy documents.
    In the event of an accidental damage claim, you’ll need to pay us the excess amount noted in your policy schedule.
    We may choose to make a payment, repair, replace or reinstate losses and will retain any remaining salvage value.
    A no claim discount (NCD) does not operate under our Vintage Motor policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

See my experience with FBD in the post above yours
    Harcrid wrote: »
    I called FBD myself last week and the only policy they could give me (on a 1978 MGB) was for driving the car to and from Classic car shows, but when I asked if it covered social use such as going for a drive on a sunny day they said no way. Ended up going with Carole Nash with a 5000km a year limited policy which was more than enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I have my 2002 Audi TT insured with Carole Nash as a classic. It was fairly reasonable too.

They were the only ones who would insure it as a classic when I went looking (September last year) so it's not as if I had much options but it was within my budget.

farna_boy wrote: »
    I have my 2002 Audi TT insured with Carole Nash as a classic. It was fairly reasonable too.

They were the only ones who would insure it as a classic when I went looking (September last year) so it's not as if I had much options but it was within my budget.

Interesting to hear. First Ireland quoted me for a 2000 Audi tt but it was 400 for the year (6,000 mile limit) as Im only 26 and this affects it they said. Do you mind me asking what age you are or even are you similar age to me?

Harcrid wrote: »
    See my experience with FBD in the post above yours

Thank you Harcrid, I had read about your experience and back a good few pages before posting. I would still be interested to hear from anyone who has taken out a policy with them lately. Reading back on previous posts, some customers are being told they can commute to work on the policy, whereas you were told you can only drive to classic car shows.

My past experience from dealing with Classic insurance on my MGB roadster is that you can ask the same question to two different people in the same company and get two completely different answers.

Has anyone got their classic policy documents from FBD to hand. Their "Vintage and Classic" policy documents are quite vague when it comes to the detail of the policy.

https://www.fbd.ie/car-insurance/vintage-classic-cars/

https://www.fbd.ie/media/FBD/pdf/Vintage-Motor-Policy.pdf
    Territorial Limits
    In respect of events occurring anywhere within:-
    (a) Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands
    (b) Other European Union Member States
    (c) Designated Areas [The Countries that the E.U. Commission is satisfied that
    arrangements have been made to meet the requirements of Article 7(2) of the E.E.C.
    Directive on insurance of civil liabilities arising from the use of motor vehicles (No.
    72/166/CEE)] the full indemnity in force under the Policy as specified under “Cover
    Operative” on the Schedule applies.

Limitations as to Use
    As per Certificate of Insurance on Issue

Description of Drivers
    As per Certificate of Insurance on Issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Interesting to hear. First Ireland quoted me for a 2000 Audi tt but it was 400 for the year (6,000 mile limit) as Im only 26 and this affects it they said. Do you mind me asking what age you are or even are you similar age to me?

That's funny, I'm fairly sure I tried them and they refused and I'm 10 years older than you.

I ended up with paying about €400 with Carol Nash in the end with a similar mileage limit.

farna_boy wrote: »
    That's funny, I'm fairly sure I tried them and they refused and I'm 10 years older than you.

I ended up with paying about €400 with Carol Nash in the end with a similar mileage limit.

Yeah first ireland said it was a strict 20 year limit so would entertain a 2001/2002 TT. At least they quoted me! Going to see what Carole Nash day. If they aren’t interested I might use switching my other classic over to first ireland and seeing if that helps them bring the price down!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Yeah first ireland said it was a strict 20 year limit so would entertain a 2001/2002 TT.

They're using some strange calendar then...

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

I have an X19 with FBD and have had a Mini and 2 Audi 100 before that. The only criteria I know of is that you have an ‘every day’ car, don’t have to be a club member but you will get a discount if you are (I’m IVS), you have ‘social & pleasure’ so the Sunday spin is 100% ok. I’ve always been happy with them, lads on the phones know their stuff, think the Fiat was €200 for comp.

I read back over a few exchanges here and you can see the people trying to game the system which makes insurers tighten the rules to the detriment of the community...pi*ses me off. Autoline must have had their fingers burnt because they’re much more particular than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I have a vintage policy and it states "covers social, domestic and pleasure use as standard (including use for show and display).

Elsewhere on the policy it states under "restrictions", 1. This product is suitable for occasional vintage show and display use. You will need to tell us if your vehicle is used for any other purpose.

When I was getting the quote I told them I wanted insurance for myself and my wife and we would be driving it usually on a Sunday, maybe the odd other day.

I can't imagine anyone would want a policy that only specifically insures you to drive to and from vintage shows.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I can't imagine anyone would want a policy that only specifically insures you to drive to and from vintage shows.
    Surely not. Imagine a car being driven a few times per year. Very bad for the car's engine, brakes, cooling system, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I guess maybe the basic policy that they are offering only entitles you to use for Vintage show and Display use and then if you tell them you want to use for Social Domestic and Pleasure as well, then they charge a bit extra on top for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Interesting that Carole Nash explicitly require a garage. The policy wording (see "restrictions" fragment from my own policy) doesn't seem to require it, and only requires that the car be kept in a garage when unused, if you state you have one.

Just got off the phone with FBD.
    Went through the number on the classic page (01 7617617) and it put me through to the main office.
    Normally they only do 25+ years, but my 1999 Alfa Spider (916) was looked on as a genuine classic and not an everyday car.
    I'm 50 so age wasn't mentioned.
    5,000 miles limit. Seemed to be quite loose and vague on use, I mentioned bringing it to work the odd time - fine as long as it is not every week.
    €225 fully comp. €200 TPF&T, €160 TP.

Happy with that! Not really worth the effort of phoning around at that price.

Car should be here sometime next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Has anybody been able to get an agreed value with insurers other than autoline?

It's almost time for me to renew, currently with Autoline and have an agreed value. Want to shop around but the agreed value is a necessity.

Value is not massive - only 5000. Would I be expected to jump through loads of hoops to prove the value - autoline just accepted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Chubb do agreed value, but not necessarily going to be cheaper than autoline if it's just the one car

• Advertisement

Not that I actually tried, but not with FBD.
    I told them a value of €4k, but the value would be decided by them if a claim is made as normal for a standard policy.

Advertisement