Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

Mach Two wrote: »
    Surely you would get a better return elsewhere.

Prize bond people tend to be the most risk averse you will every meet. I've recommend several times that they invest the money elsewhere but they won't listen.. US equities up 32% alone this year imagine if you had that money invested rather than sitting there in prize bonds earning maybe 300-500 euro in the whole year off 100k+ not even half a percent return...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

JMMCapital wrote: »
    Prize bond people tend to be the most risk averse you will every meet. I've recommend several times that they invest the money elsewhere but they won't listen.. US equities up 32% alone this year imagine if you had that money invested rather than sitting there in prize bonds earning maybe 300-500 euro in the whole year off 100k+ not even half a percent return...

It's quite possible that the people here who have money invested in Prize Bonds also have money invested elsewhere (I certainly have) availing of those bumper one year returns.

Of course we are seeing those 32% US equities return with hindsight, there were a lot of people predicting a share collapse in 2019 a year ago, who knows what will happen in 2020? Also of course not every share came out smelling of roses (+32%) in 2019 - for example, I stuck up 5 shares in the 'Share Picks 2019' thread back in January, one of them has dropped by about 60% in the year, another has dropped by 10%, it's quite likely that there are many more examples one could pick out if you went back through the 'Share Picks 2019' thread or indeed elsewhere.

There were a lot of experts decrying any remotely conservative investor for not investing in bank shares backintheday as their SP increased by double digit figures year on year. A lot of those clever investors lost their shirt and more. Meanwhile the PB holders plodded along keeping their capital safe, winning the odd prize, sleeping easy at night dreaming of the big one next Friday.

Each to their own, the PB holders will still have their capital at the end of 2020 guaranteed, nobody knows for sure (I presume) how the holders of other asset classes will have fared by then.

Happy New Year to all investors, risk takers and PB holders

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Excellent advice there. I know of a few examples where people have lost everything. I appreciate if you don't venture you won't gain. Nice to have something rather than nothing.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    It's quite possible that the people here who have money invested in Prize Bonds also have money invested elsewhere (I certainly have) availing of those bumper one year returns.

Of course we are seeing those 32% US equities return with hindsight, there were a lot of people predicting a share collapse in 2019 a year ago, who knows what will happen in 2020? Also of course not every share came out smelling of roses (+32%) in 2019 - for example, I stuck up 5 shares in the 'Share Picks 2019' thread back in January, one of them has dropped by about 60% in the year, another has dropped by 10%, it's quite likely that there are many more examples one could pick out if you went back through the 'Share Picks 2019' thread or indeed elsewhere.

There were a lot of experts decrying any remotely conservative investor for not investing in bank shares backintheday as their SP increased by double digit figures year on year. A lot of those clever investors lost their shirt and more. Meanwhile the PB holders plodded along keeping their capital safe, winning the odd prize, sleeping easy at night dreaming of the big one next Friday.

Each to their own, the PB holders will still have their capital at the end of 2020 guaranteed, nobody knows for sure (I presume) how the holders of other asset classes will have fared by then.

Happy New Year to all investors, risk takers and PB holders

Each to their own..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Apologies folks, I wont comment here again.

New Year's Resolution

• Advertisement

New Year's Resolution

G'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John arse

G'luck
    bye now

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭carrickbawn

Seriously disappointed. Not a thing again today.Current holding 110k.
    65k all year and added to every month since June.
    1 win early in year €50. Brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Seriously disappointed. Not a thing again today.Current holding 110k.
    65k all year and added to every month since June.
    1 win early in year €50. Brutal.

Only realised after reading your post that there was a draw today so checked in and won €50. 2nd win in 2 weeks after a very dry run. Hope to continue the winning streak in the new year. Happy New Year to you all :)

And a Happy New Year to all on here. Nothing again today. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Wins on 30th December: €0
    Last win - 1st November 2019: €50
    Weeks since last win: 8
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 14 wins in 130 weeks (11%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-Dec): 4 x €50 = €200
    2019 (Jan-date): 5 x €50 = €250

annual report on 130k+/€600-12 wins this year(2x50 today) after 3x 50 all last year-2018,an improvement this year so,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Wexford punter scoops €1m in prize bond draw - link

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nothing in weeks. €290k invested. (taken from stock-market and put in to Prize Bonds). I am jumping ship in the New Year. I can get between 2% and 6% on share dividends. Going back to the markets.

+1

I put in a substantial (to me) sum several years ago. Not a single win so far. So I've actually been losing money here, given inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

I haven't been posting recently due to no winnings, last win October 18th €50euro, nothing today.
    Year end results on my 60K
    2019 €250euro
    2018 €100euro
    2017 €400euro
    2016 €350euro 3 years ago today just checking 30th December 2016 I won €50euro
    Today's Wexford bond that won €1,000,000 XO461388 gosh a really nice new year surprise for somebody that maybe forgotten they even have it and us poor suckers here every week hoping to hit a jackpot, when you add up the regular posters here and put all the holdings together it really add up to quite a holding with a very poor return, happy new year to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Does anyone know what is the total invested sum in price bonds and the total annual pay out, say over the last reporting year (2018)?

Are we even talking 1% return here dividing the latter by the former?

another 50 euro toady
    brings me to 9 wins for this year on 100,000

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

50 yo yo's for me for the last draw of the year :) I invested thousands this year but down on last year in terms of wins.
    Hope 2020 is better for all of us!

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 30th December 2019: €0
    Last win 23rd August 2019: €50
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €2900
    2011: €75 x 4 €300
    2012: €75 x 6 €450
    2013: €50 x 12 €600
    2014: €50 x 9 €450
    2015: €50 x 5 €250
    2016: €50 x 5 €250
    2017: €50 x 4 €200
    2018: €50 x 2 €100
    2019: €50 x 6 €300

This is the last one for 2019. Better luck to all in 2020. Happy New Year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

unkel wrote: »
    Does anyone know what is the total invested sum in price bonds and the total annual pay out, say over the last reporting year (2018)?

Are we even talking 1% return here dividing the latter by the former?

It's not even 1%.

Total fund is €3.4 billion.
    About €17 million is paid in prizes every year.

Total return =0.5%

Thats pretty much being reflected on this page.
    Anyone doing better than 0.5% should count themselves lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

It's not even 1%.

Total fund is €3.4 billion.
    About €17 million is paid in prizes every year.

Total return =0.5%

Thats pretty much being reflected on this page.
    Anyone doing better than 0.5% should count themselves lucky.

The real return is less than 0.5%. This is because the chances of winning any of the larger prizes are so close to negligible that they are statistically irrelevant and need to be discarded and your average calculation above based on the smaller prizes only. There was some detailed work on this posted on AAM and from memory the real average return is approx 0.4% currently. This return is borne out by the experience of a number of posters here. Very small holdings won’t achieve this as the majority of these will have zero return.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Using the figures from the 2018 Annual Report it works out at 0.34% return for the money allocated to €50 prizes. Someone paying DIRT on their interest would have to get 0.46% to match this. It is far better than anything available in risk free, easy access savings products. Even a 0.17% return would be better than anything available from the banks. Anyone thinking about risk free 1% returns is living in the distant past.

Prize Fund and structure
    The Prize Fund is determined by calculating interest on the eligible fund at a rate determined by the National Treasury Management Agency. The rate has remained unchanged at 0.50% since August 2017. The number of prizes awarded each week depends on the size of the total Prize Fund. The following were the total number of prizes awarded in 2018.

Number Value€

2 1,000,000
    50 50,000
    520 1,000
    520 500
    223,382 50

224,474 €16,449,100

in my humble experience,on a very rough average for every 10k you have invested expect to win once a year

John arse wrote: »
    in my humble experience,on a very rough average for every 10k you have invested expect to win once a year

Poor carrickbawn would love that - that would give between 6 and 11 wins instead of the incredibly poor 1 win he/she had! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

1 win last year on 30k! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Essex Man

in my humble experience,on a very rough

erage for every 10k you have invested expect to win once a year[/QUOT

I would like that return , 40k invested , winnings for 2019 nil .

Essex Man wrote: »
    in my humble experience,on a very rough

erage for every 10k you have invested expect to win once a year[/QUOT

I would like that return , 40k invested , winnings for 2019 nil .
    sorry about that,i'll have a word and arrange something for you in the next few weeks!

Same ol', same ol' :(

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

A good start to the new year for me: -

Winnings on 3rd January 2020 on €109k: €50
    Last win on 22nd November 2019: €50 X 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Going to do a emoji thingy thing per week in 2020 to denote a 'win' or 'no win'
    Jan: :mad:

have a feeling I'll be seeing plenty of :mad:

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

Advertisement