Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Thargor wrote: »
    How did you get around the 250k limit?

Thanks for the updates though this should be interesting on a lump sum that size...

It won't really.

Add a zero to OP number.

And that's a maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

JMMCapital wrote: »
    I'd say anyone with 10's of millions would have there money invested rather keeping it in prize bonds which make pretty much 0%
    I guarantee you all that money is from small time savers, anyone with 1 million euro+ would have there money invested in equities,bonds,treasury notes,ETFs,gold,real estate, cashflow generating businesses etc..

0% for high amounts doesn't look bad considering how much fixed income is yielding negative rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

So I got home last night and there were two white window envelopes in the hall. First was PB notification of Friday13’s €50 win. Second letter was...... a speeding fine for €80 also dated Friday 13th. Net gain is -€30. Win some, lose some !!

Incidentally, this is the first time I received the PB notification letter as early as Monday morning. Either very efficient or else they are printing and posting the letters before the draw..... Conspiracy theorists please note.

€290k invested in Prize Bonds. I am going to see how many "wins" I have from Sept 17th 2019 until same week next year.

1 x €50 this week. Sept 17th/2019. 1st week. Total = €50.

Welcome on board.

My current holding is €251,600 so it will be interesting to compare returns.

My winnings from 14/9/2918 to 13/9/2018 were 17x€50 = €850. Note my holding increased from approx €201k to €251k in December 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hibernicis wrote: »
    So I got home last night and there were two white window envelopes in the hall. First was PB notification of Friday13’s €50 win. Second letter was...... a speeding fine for €80 also dated Friday 13th. Net gain is -€30. Win some, lose some !!

Incidentally, this is the first time I received the PB notification letter as early as Monday morning. Either very efficient or else they are printing and posting the letters before the draw..... Conspiracy theorists please note.

Two of us got letters on a Monday in August, see page 355. There are people here who know how to get the Prize Bonds to give them a prize. They might be able to get something done about that speeding fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

€50 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Well done Tuis!

No Joy for me today!
    weeks since last win: 1

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭PB2018

Wins on 20th September 2019: €0
    Last win: 5th July 2019: €50
    Weeks since last win: 11
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 13 wins in 116 weeks (11%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-Dec): 4 x €50 = €200
    2019 (Jan-date): 4 x €50 = €200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭MarioLuigi

PB2018 wrote: »
    Wins on 20th September 2019: €0
    Last win: 5th July 2019: €50
    Weeks since last win: 11
    €134k invested in prize bonds since July 2017
    Win ratio: 13 wins in 116 weeks (11%)
    2017 (Jul-Dec): 5 x €50 = €250
    2018 (Jan-Dec): 4 x €50 = €200
    2019 (Jan-date): 4 x €50 = €200

Can I ask why in the name of Christ you have €134k in prize bonds please?

Taking 2018 as an example you earned 0.14% interest which is comically bad. I mean you'd get that from a deposit account let alone a couple of percent from State bonds. Technically you're losing money each year at that rate due to inflation. You would be SO much better off investing this into something else or topping up your pension etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

MarioLuigi wrote: »

Taking 2018 as an example you earned 0.14% interest which is comically bad. I mean you'd get that from a deposit account let alone a couple of percent from State bonds. Technically you're losing money each year at that rate due to inflation. You would be SO much better off investing this into something else or topping up your pension etc.

I have stated this many times and all i get is arrogant responses. Only trying to maximize shareholder wealth! typical Irish fear trading equities,bonds,index funds,precious metals etc yet they'll gladly spend there money on stupid stuff like drink and luxury goods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I have stated this many times and all i get is arrogant responses. Only trying to maximize shareholder wealth! typical Irish fear trading equities,bonds,index funds,precious metals etc yet they'll gladly spend there money on stupid stuff like drink and luxury goods

So you you mean your a troll?

my3cents wrote: »

Nah I'm not a troll, sorry i probably worded that poorly and come of negatively. I just believe people could get better returns investing their hard earned money elsewhere other than prize bonds, having a broadly diversified portfolio (equities,bonds,ETFs,Gold etc) can make you a pretty nice returns over time specially with compound interest. All you need is basic finance knowledge and an understanding of the time value of money. Each to there own, I wish you luck either way.

my3cents wrote: »

Slow your roll.

He's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Nah I'm not a troll, sorry i probably worded that poorly and come of negatively. I just believe people could get better returns investing their hard earned money elsewhere other than prize bonds, having a broadly diversified portfolio (equities,bonds,ETFs,Gold etc) can make you a pretty nice returns over time specially with compound interest. All you need is basic finance knowledge and an understanding of the time value of money. Each to there own, I wish you luck either way.
    No, you need knowledge of the markets, taxes you have to declare, dividends you received during the year, losses/profits, etc.

Don't make it out as if it's a simple process. It isn't. It requires a decent bit of research and trust in the financial institutions.

There's many reasons to keep a relatively large sum in PBs. Could be parked for a property purchase, starting a business or just plain ease of "it's easily accessible and the banks don't have their mitts on it".

I'm 50/50 between PBs and stocks.

In 2 years I've made 0.5% in PBs.
    In 2 years I've made 18% in stocks.

Stocks were once -10%.

I still keep money in PBs as it's a risk free float i can access anytime that COULD net me €50 every few decades...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

FFVII wrote: »
    Slow your roll.

He's right.

But in the wrong place.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    No, you need knowledge of the markets, taxes you have to declare, dividends you received during the year, losses/profits, etc.

Don't make it out as if it's a simple process. It isn't. It requires a decent bit of research and trust in the financial institutions.

There's many reasons to keep a relatively large sum in PBs. Could be parked for a property purchase, starting a business or just plain ease of "it's easily accessible and the banks don't have their mitts on it".

Stocks were once -10%.

I still keep money in PBs as it's a risk free float i can access anytime that COULD net me €50 every few decades...

Knowledge which can easily be acquired by reading a few books and doing independent research. Most of investing is common sense, not hard to put together a well diversified portfolio. Good information from revenue,PwC etc readily available online regarding taxes/dividends. Losses/profits can be learned by reading annual reports on a regular basis people should invest in stuff they understand first of all, maybe it's a little bit more easier for me as I have a degree in accounting & finance. 9% yearly return is nice congratulations.

I just believe people could get better returns investing their hard earned money elsewhere other than prize bonds, having a broadly diversified portfolio (equities,bonds,ETFs,Gold etc) can make you a pretty nice returns over time specially with compound interest.

Can you explain exactly how you know that the “hard earned” money people have in prize bonds isn’t part of a broadly diversified portfolio ?

Knowledge which can easily be acquired by reading a few books and doing independent research. Most of investing is common sense, not hard to put together a well diversified portfolio. Good information from revenue,PwC etc readily available online regarding taxes/dividends. Losses/profits can be learned by reading annual reports on a regular basis people should invest in stuff they understand first of all, maybe it's a little bit more easier for me as I have a degree in accounting & finance. 9% yearly return is nice congratulations.

There is so much wrong with this that it’s difficult to know where to start picking it apart. In any event I’d probably just be feeding your trolling. As you said you’ve made your point about your dislike of prize bonds on many occasions. Perhaps you should move on and leave the thread to those who want to share details of their holdings and returns.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    There is so much wrong with this that it’s difficult to know where to start picking it apart. In any event I’d probably just be feeding your trolling. As you said you’ve made your point about your dislike of prize bonds on many occasions. Perhaps you should move on and leave the thread to those who want to share details of their holdings and returns.

Okay enjoy your 0% gains

Taylor365 wrote: »

Stocks were once -10%.

Withdraw your €134k, spend half on Microsoft shares and half on Apple shares. Wait 5 years. Withdraw your profits (circa 8% year on year) and take €1k out to pay your accountant to sort taxes.

• Advertisement

I agree completely with everything you say, apart from having opposing views on precious metals. People making excuses for themselves and failing before they've even started. Nobody with decent money would be crazy enough to put it in prize bonds. Fortune favours the bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Another 'Killarney' envelope on it's way with €50.

€50 win 21/9/2019, PB bought September 1998, first win since 14/6/2019.

Winnings to date (no winning records kept pre 2005) €1,575 on €9,815 worth of PB's bought monthly over a 21 year period plus €20,000 bought in Feb 2016 (five €50 on the February 2016 purchase).

Winnings 2011 €75
    Winnings 2012 €150
    Winnings 2013 €200
    Winnings 2014 €100
    Winnings 2015 Zero
    Winnings 2016 €200
    Winnings 2017 €250
    Winnings 2018 Nada, Zilch, SFA
    Winnings 2019 €150 (and counting )

Roll on next Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 20th September 2019: €0
    Last win 23rd August 2019: €50
    Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €2900
    2011: €75 x 4 €300
    2012: €75 x 6 €450
    2013: €50 x 12 €600
    2014: €50 x 9 €450
    2015: €50 x 5 €250
    2016: €50 x 5 €250
    2017: €50 x 4 €200
    2018: €50 x 2 €100
    2019: €50 x 6 €300

I agree completely with everything you say, apart from having opposing views on precious metals. People making excuses for themselves and failing before they've even started. Nobody with decent money would be crazy enough to put it in prize bonds. Fortune favours the bold.

Exactly. What are you views on precious metals? curious to know.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Okay enjoy your 0% gains
    Withdraw your €134k, spend half on Microsoft shares and half on Apple shares. Wait 5 years. Withdraw your profits (circa 8% year on year) and take €1k out to pay your accountant to sort taxes.

Can I very politely ask that the two of you bog off and discuss other forms of investment in a thread for that purpose. This is not the thread for it.

J

I can see the potential for making a good return, but my personal investing strategy would be more fundamental. I don't like the idea of investing in something that doesn't produce anything. I feel the same about cryptocurrency. Obviously money to be made, but volatility and market forces on price turn me off. I'd maybe add a caveat to silver, which actually has a use in semiconductors and health industry etc.

Can I very politely ask that the two of you bog off and discuss other forms of investment in a thread for that purpose. This is not the thread for it.

This thread and the good news crypto thread are full of strange blinkered people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

FFVII wrote: »
    This thread and the good news crypto thread are full of strange blinkered people.

Except that this isn't a thread for discussion of other forms of investment, this is a thread for people to post about their winnings (or lack thereof) based on money they put into prize bonds. Nobody here is advocating an investment strategy that involves 100% prize bonds, and people coming here to extol the virtues of their genius investment strategists are off topic, and frankly uninteresting (for those of us interested in this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Rulmeq wrote: »
    Except that this isn't a thread for discussion of other forms of investment, this is a thread for people to post about their winnings (or lack thereof) based on money they put into prize bonds. Nobody here is advocating an investment strategy that involves 100% prize bonds, and people coming here to extol the virtues of their genius investment strategists are off topic, and frankly uninteresting (for those of us interested in this thread)

I've just reported their posts. One thing is posting an odd comment that might not be relevant, but they've been asked more than once by a few people.

• Advertisement

Apologies folks, I wont comment here again.

Advertisement