Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This is so outrageous She should definitely be removed from her role in UCD until a full enquiry is carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wibbs wrote: »
    I seem to remember this idiot flipping out about "racism" when questions were raised in the Dail about pretty substantial money transfers from Ireland to Nigeria and that such questions would raise the notion of racially profiling money transfer(which international banking kinda already does. Well in the sense of sending money to high risk and dodgy countries, which tend to be outside the west). Odd when she also goes on about how racism is responsible for keeping a majority of Black people unemployed, which begs the question; where is this money they're sending home coming from? Tens of millions per year IIRC.

Shush now W... don't be bringing facts and reality into this!

Shure identity politics always trumps those inconveniences dontcha know!

You big wacist you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Why did she delete HER apology after the hotel apologised.

She's a disgrace. Blackcurrant in a display bottle that was used mistakingly. If it happened to me and I called racism I'd be laughed at, because I'm white. Now that's racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This is so outrageous She should definitely be removed from her role in UCD until a full enquiry is carried out.

Yes, theres every chance UCD are going to suspend the black lecturer of a social justice course in the middle of an incident where she claims to have been the victim of racism................

• Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hoboo wrote: »

She's a disgrace. Blackcurrant in a display bottle that was used mistakingly. If it happened to me and I called racism I'd be laughed at, because I'm white. Now that's racism.

Why? Because now it looks like she was right!

Gotta keep the racism gravy train flowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,188 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Hoboo wrote: »

I think people Tweeted that she might have had a case against the hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

...Irish people didn't use them as slaves or...

You might be surprised...

http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2014/07/compensation-paid-to-irish-slave-owners-1833-sheet1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

UCD should remove her from her position. You can't have UCD staff members abusing their position and the prestige of the university to spread unfounded allegations against innocent businesses all to bump their own profiles.

Not only that, she's also whipping up the hatred of the people she claims to represent in a fit of outrage against Irish people.

Ah, leave her there, ucd created a Mickey mouse role for her, no doubt on a 100k + salary .
    All the Irish universities are sliding down the world rankings but at least we have them falling over themselves to provide scholarships to asylum seekers.
    Now we have black studies in ucd so it should help stop the slide in world rankings!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/irish-universities-world-rankings-4056883-Jun2018/%3famp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

She's encouraging other blacks to go to that hotel for not letting them racists win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'd say they're all scared sh*tless of her and she's having a good laugh at the expense of the Irish taxpayer, it's her behaviour that helps to foster racism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cordell wrote: »
    She's encouraging other blacks to go to that hotel for not letting them racists win.

Hotels all over the country are checking to make sure theyve ribena in stock so they can boost customer numbers if they see her come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭1641

All very strange - but how did it happen in the first place?
    It is a long time since I bartendered but there is no way I can imagine anyone mistakingly serving blackcurrant cordial for red wine. The only way I can see it happening is if someone else had ordered the cordial around the same time and a server had brought the drink to the wrong table. But in a wine glass and a wine measure - and to someone who happened to have ordered red wine? A lot of coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Stupid thick bitch should be banned from Twitter. She’s got mental health problems and should not be allowed to spout such stupid crass nonsense on social media.

She’s the classic example of a fùckwit.

Augme wrote: »
    How do you manage to give someone blackcurrant instead of wine? Bizarre.

I’d like to know the full & true story here. You bet there’s more to it than meets the eye.

Stupid thick bitch should be banned from Twitter. She’s got mental health problems and should not be allowed to spout such stupid crass nonsense on social media.

She’s the classic example of a fùckwit.

They'd Have to ban half the human race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Hotels all over the country are checking to make sure theyve ribena in stock so they can boost customer numbers if they see her come in.

The place will be black with 'em

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Some establishment will now be serving a Baileys & Blackcurrant cocktail.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

MMXX wrote: »
    Tiles of colour.

Afro-Caribbean Tiles sounds more exotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

That's not how New Ireland works.
    She might get a whole new department in UCD, as a result of this "incident".

We now live in a wacky/surreal world where someone like this can make a lucrative salary and enjoy a comfortable lifestyle from seeing racism in various aspects of Irish life ...... including serving drinks.
    Such a strange country we live in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Some establishment will now be serving a Baileys & Blackcurrant cocktail.
    Brilliant.

Only to be served to those on a swing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

1641 wrote: »
    It is a long time since I bartendered but there is no way I can imagine anyone mistakingly serving blackcurrant cordial for red wine. The only way I can see it happening is if someone else had ordered the cordial around the same time and a server had brought the drink to the wrong table. But in a wine glass and a wine measure - and to someone who happened to have ordered red wine? A lot of coincidence.

Aren't cordials often poured into clear glass bottles with a spout?
    I wonder if house reds are decanted into something similar?

Also a factor it's Christmas time, so likely to be a lot of extra new and and inexperienced staff.

On the flip side, I wonder if some mother went home that day with a kid pissed after a few glasses of ribena...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Oh I get it now!

Blackcurrant....BLACKcurrant

Ha Ha good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If they were low on stock which is very possible this time of year that would explain using Ribena in the display bottles.
    Also temporary Christmas staff could be a factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

1641 wrote: »
    Ya I want to know how the mix up happened in the first place. Is it normal to put cordial in a wine glass? I still don't know how getting the wrong drink is racist though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Ya I want to know how the mix up happened in the first place. Is it normal to put cordial in a wine glass? I still don't know how getting the wrong drink is racist though.

Inexperienced staff pouring from the display bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Think we should get the FBI on the case.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

tuxy wrote: »
    Inexperienced staff pouring from the display bottle?
    How do you confuse a bottle of wine with cordial. Isn't one glass and the other plastic? Or can you get glass bottles of cordial?

The entire food offering could be a minefield too if she were served the wrong item....

Black Sole
    Cajun Blackened Chicken
    Steak with Black Pepper Sauce
    Black Angus Roast Beef
    Blackberry & Apple Crumble

Or if she visited Riga and was offered Latvia’s native drink, Black Balsam

An absolute minefield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

How do you confuse a bottle of wine with cordial. Isn't one glass and the other plastic? Or can you get glass bottles of cordial?

Probably some witless foreigner.

• Advertisement

Lots of cordials come in glass bottles, eg Marks & Spencer.

Advertisement