Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Dirty aul grey day

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In Dun Laoghaire, it has been a day of what I call, no weather. It is 10C, so you don't need the winter woolies much, it isn't raining, it isn't sunny, there is an even veil of mid-grey cloud which looks neither threatening nor promising. The breeze scarcely registers, just a slight movement of the air really.

All in all, weatherless....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Larbre34 wrote: »
    In Dun Laoghaire, it has been a day of what I call, no weather. It is 10C, so you don't need the winter woolies much, it isn't raining, it isn't sunny, there is an even veil of mid-grey cloud which looks neither threatening nor promising. The breeze scarcely registers, just a slight movement of the air really.

The type of weather we are getting atm reminds of much of the first half of last winter. Waking up every day to mild cloudy dull muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

Larbre34 wrote: »

In other words perfect winter weather for family days out!. Seriously this Christmas has been brilliant for families. Playgrounds + parks packed everyday. You can actually stay out for more than an hour without been frozen. Biggest bonus is lack of rain + wind. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Weather chart showing 850 temps & pressure for this time last year. Wouldn't you swear that this a chart from today?

RutDHs9.png

Seems to be an increasing feature of our winters lately for the Azores high to move in over western Europe and lodge itself there for considerable periods of time. The Atlantic just can't seem to power up at all anymore.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Weather chart showing 850 temps & pressure for this time last year. Wouldn't you swear that this a chart from today?

Seems to be an increasing feature of our winters lately for the Azores high to move in over western Europe and lodge itself there for considerable periods of time. The Atlantic just can't seem to power up at all anymore.

That is true at the moment but when it does power up again it will make up for its absence probably with a vengeance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

The wet blankets over on Netweather are writing off winter already. Why does this happen every year?

The facts are:

December is rarely colder than Jan or Feb
    Models are useless beyond 10 days
    Background signals and their impact on our weather is little understood

Let's see what happens over the remaining NINE weeks of meteorological winter.....

Good day to get the grass cut today!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Loving this weather. Looks like it will be nice for NYE too. Great for cycling and just walking and everything. I don't know why people would like it to be colder, it just means being outside is unpleasant, and it's not like it ever snows anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Loving this weather. Looks like it will be nice for NYE too. Great for cycling and just walking and everything. I don't know why people would like it to be colder, it just means being outside is unpleasant, and it's not like it ever snows anyway.

It`s all very well having these mild conditions at present but personally I would prefer to have cold weather (be that cold rain, hail, sleet, snow) now rather than having it next spring which in all likelihood is what will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It`s all very well having these mild conditions at present but personally I would prefer to have cold weather (be that cold rain, hail, sleet, snow) now rather than having it next spring which in all likelihood is what will happen.

It doesn't work that way. Its not like there's a certain amount of weather that has to be distributed out over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A nice white frost. Central Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Moscow had its warmest December on record with no snow on the ground at Christmas. That’s when you know it’s a mild winter!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Has anyone got a torch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭appledrop

This is Ireland! We could have the crappest, coldest winter possible + it could still rain all summer.

I would have no problem with cold weather if guaranteed lovely spring/summer but never works like that here so take each day as it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dry calm quite new years eve here in Castlebar. Clear skies to the east. All in all,nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Everything is all white after a good hard frost. Lovely end to the year. -Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Since the Atlantic is much quieter in recent years maybe summers like we got in 2018 might become more common...I remember hearing a guy on the radio my years ago talking about how the Atlantic goes through cycles around every 15 years or so where storms increase then decrease...maybe we are in a quieter cycle right now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some blue sky but also some very dark clouds here in West cork this new years eve, no frost down here! City is much the same.i am being told, maybe less windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Beautiful day in Letterkenny, bright, cloudless skies, no wind, a hard frost still on the ground and fog lying in the valleys, as nice as it gets at this time of year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very calm in West cork. Drove up over the cliff and there was a beautiful sunset over the far ocean with the close ocean being a vrey-blue colour due to the dark clouds. Was lovely, no waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Car covered in a hard frost already -Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Since the Atlantic is much quieter in recent years maybe summers like we got in 2018 might become more common...I remember hearing a guy on the radio my years ago talking about how the Atlantic goes through cycles around every 15 years or so where storms increase then decrease...maybe we are in a quieter cycle right now

Looks like I spoke too soon...potential for very bad storms next week

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Looks like I spoke too soon...potential for very bad storms next week

Will I be able to travel from Roundstone to Wexford via Carrick-on-Shannon leaving at 1:35pm next Thursday or will the worst of it be over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Fairly depressing forecast from M.T for those that want some cold wintry weather in winter....

"For January then, the prediction is for temperatures 1 or even 2 deg above normal, and rainfall possibly staying a bit below the January average, although not a dry month, just less rain than is often the case. I don't think there will be much wintry weather until perhaps near the end of the month, if at all"

Fingers crossed for February then

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Beautiful day out in Kinsealy cold but clean crisp air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

kod87 wrote: »
    Fairly depressing forecast from M.T for those that want some cold wintry weather in winter....

"For January then, the prediction is for temperatures 1 or even 2 deg above normal, and rainfall possibly staying a bit below the January average, although not a dry month, just less rain than is often the case. I don't think there will be much wintry weather until perhaps near the end of the month, if at all"

Fingers crossed for February then

But an utterly fantastic prediction for those of us who had enough snow in 2010 to last a lifetime, bring on mild😀

But an utterly fantastic prediction for those of us who had enough snow in 2010 to last a lifetime, bring on mild��

Mild and wet is utterly fantastic? Each to their own.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Mild and wet is utterly fantastic? Each to their own.....

Well as long as it's not wet every day
    2 or 3 times a week is fine
    Keep things growing

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Well as long as it's not wet every day
    2 or 3 times a week is fine
    Keep things growing

In that case it will be permanently damp, nothing dries out this time of year without a dry spell. No thanks. This week gone has been great, cloudy but not cold and most importantly very dry.

Advertisement