Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The sooner the summer comes the better...but when it does come it wont be any better so whats the point:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Did anyone else not get the fierce wind chill today? Despite it being mild, felt much colder in the breeze.

North Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

another grey day in cork city. Hate these type of systems from the south west in winter.

Nice and dry though, right now that's exactly what we need. Anything else is a bonus!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The winter so far has felt much colder than it actually was... thanks to that annoying cold wind

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Had a car temp reading of 16C on the high M50 around Edmonstown at 9.15pm. Of course they aren't accurate enough to quote, but in darkness and after travelling north to around Blanchardstown I was getting 13C at the same time 13C was recorded at nearby Phoenix Park, I don't think my 16 was too far off. Remarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

If I recall correctly, it was very dry around New Years last year too. Dry for around 10 days. I cant remember if it was as mild as it is now but I do remember people cutting the lawn in early January 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10pm

Phoenix park 13 degrees
    Newport 12
    Finner 12
    Casement 12
    Valentia 12

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

If I recall correctly, it was very dry around New Years last year too. Dry for around 10 days. I cant remember if it was as mild as it is now but I do remember people cutting the lawn in early January 2019.

It was more like 14/15 days and yes I remember people wearing t-shirts outdoors in early January.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

It was grey and cloudy alright for the most part in Mayo today. Here are just a couple of snaps that I managed to take just below the cloud line on my way up and down the Reek today. No views at all in the cloud on top but at least it kept dry and days like today are good for getting out and about in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Had a car temp reading of 16C on the high M50 around Edmonstown at 9.15pm. Of course they aren't accurate enough to quote, but in darkness and after travelling north to around Blanchardstown I was getting 13C at the same time 13C was recorded at nearby Phoenix Park, I don't think my 16 was too far off. Remarkable.

Temp here in Dublin 16 (nearby) was 15.3c around that time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

ZX7R wrote: »
    It all ready has started to cool down in eastern europe -7 and snowing the last 48 hours in the part of Poland my my wife is from

I had friends just back from krakow and they said it wasn’t cold really at all. Seemed to be about +6 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    It was grey and cloudy alright for the most part in Mayo today. Here are just a couple of snaps that I managed to take just below the cloud line on my way up and down the Reek today. No views at all in the cloud on top but at least it kept dry and days like today are good for getting out and about in.

Were conditions tough? Had coastguard helicopter Rescue 118 into Castlebar hospital both yesterday and today from Croagh Patrick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Goldfinch8 wrote: »

No snow or ice up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Midnight reports: Dublin airport 3C and Casement 12C.

Biggest difference I've ever seen, extraordinary for such a short distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Midnight reports: Dublin airport 3C and Casement 12C.

Biggest difference I've ever seen, extraordinary for such a short distance.

If that’s a correct reading from Casement Airbase well then that’s astonishing. 8c couple of miles inland here in Naas.

Were conditions tough? Had coastguard helicopter Rescue 118 into Castlebar hospital both yesterday and today from Croagh Patrick.

Not overly bad I would say. A dry day makes a difference and I avoid the reek in the rain if possible. Sheltered enough from the southerly wind going up on the Murrisk side but the wind was very strong once you reached the top of the first main ridge before you swing right for the mountain proper. I did feel that the wind moderated after that and it was not overly windy on the summit at all but it was cold in the mist up there.
    I saw that unfortunate walker being airlifted late this afternoon as the evening was drawing in and also unluckily it was only a couple of hundred metres from the statue and and not too far from the bottom. I hope she makes a speedy recovery.
    Mountain was fairly busy with walkers overall today I felt.

No snow or ice up there?

Not even a solitary hailstone Snow Garden! I think that the recent mild weather put pay to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

I had friends just back from krakow and they said it wasn’t cold really at all. Seemed to be about +6 degrees

Different part of Poland,2 days before the cold started it was +12.

Currently-4 in Krakow

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

ZX7R wrote: »
    Different part of Poland,2 days before the cold started it was +12.

Currently-4 in Krakow

Where I live, Currently -13 in southern malapolska (60km south of krakow) with 40-50cm snow. Above 1000m in our village close to 2m snow.
    But yes, run up to Christmas it was +18c.

But looking at models now, weather turns very hot and cold.
    It's quite unusual for there to be such big swings.
    ECM and GFS all seem to say the same. Hot, cold, hot, cold (for central and eastern Europe).

I've just seen that some part of Scotland recorded 16.8c at 3am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Temp here in Dublin 16 (nearby) was 15.3c around that time.

Cheers, I knew I was in your neck of the woods you might corroborate.

Sky News have a short piece on their website now about a Foehn effect temp of 16.8 in the Scottish highlands at 3am, I imagine this was a similar phenomenon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Very pleasant again in Cork today. After cold this is the next best type of weather in winter. Long may it continue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Manky, dull, drizzly day Galway City

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Slight few light drizzle drops in cork city, grey skies, mild but everything is damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

It was 16.8c in Scotland at 3am last night

The only white Christmases well be getting in the future will be ash from burning forests

7 to 13c looks the temperatures for the next 14 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Horrible dark, cloudy and gloomy day here in Tipp. Utterly depressing weather:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Light drizzle in Limk City now. Very grey and murky. Almost eerie silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

Damp and drizzle in easy Galway. I really hope we get a second cold shot in February. Very mild second half of December.

Patches of showery rain sweep across Killala Bay this morning as seen from Inishcrone (Enniscrone) strand in Co.Sligo. This in turn was followed by the hint and half promise of a partial clearance from the northwest.
    Have to say, there is something magical and invigorating about an Irish beach on a winter's day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Miserable, mild, mizzle muck all day in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Cloudy, gloomy weather I can tolerate if it is dry, but not when there those constant spits of greasy rain that barely registers anything in the gauge, yet keeps the place absolutely saturated.

Like today :rolleyes:

New Moon

Advertisement