Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you feel the need to buy a new car?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭themouthpiece

That's a change of tune from a car being a waste of money because it depreciated so much. Your travel depreciates 100% straight away.

Maybe you're not as good with your money as you think.

Ill retire between 45- 50. Yep I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ill retire between 45- 50. Yep I am.

Why are you avoiding the question?

If it's all about money and what a waste a depreciating asset a car is, why are you wasting as much on stuff with no value at all?

Seems your financial priorities are all over the place.

A depreciating assest would be worth more than a valueless photo and a memory. Cant sell your photo of you in your budgie smugglers and the lovely thoughts of travelling the world with your dunes carrier bad in tow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

If it's all about money and what a waste a depreciating asset a car is, why are you wasting as much on stuff with no value at all?

A depreciating assest would be worth more than a valueless photo and a memory.

Plus you could just watch / view these places from the infotainment system on a new car. The heated leather under your ar5e, that new car smell... mmmm....

A depreciating assest would be worth more than a valueless photo and a memory.

I actually find this hilarious, Sorry i dont spend 30K or more on a car.

But like if your life is based on a car that something a fifth of the price would do you do you not think YOUR doing something wrong. Would you not rather retire early and travel?

While your slaving away i'll be on a cruise ship multiple times a year.

But like if your life is based on a car that something a fifth of the price would do you do you not think YOUR doing something wrong. Would you not rather retire early and travel?

You're avoiding the question again though.

Tell us again about the cash you have that you could buy a 7 series with.

How can you justify the all that spending on travel with zero return if the whole things is a numbers issue?

How is a 30k car that still has value, a worse investment than a load of holidays with no value?

• Advertisement

Not if you kick the bucket tomorrow you won't be..

I

That sounds like a spend that has no return. Only an idiot would spend so much money on something with no value.

FAMLEE wrote: »
    Not if you kick the bucket tomorrow you won't be..

The fountain of youth has been found. Its grilled chicken don't you know. Prevents all known illnesses.

Why not just spend a fifth of the cruise ship money and go for a day trip to holyhead? You can even get piss3d on the ferry and keep dreaming

You're avoiding the question again though.

Tell us again about the cash you have that you could buy a 7 series with.

How can you justify the all that spending on travel with zero return if the whole things is a numbers issue?

How is a 30k car that still has value, a worse investment than a load of holidays with no value?

Are you seriously comparing getting a new car to travelling? You live a worse life than i thought.

58K with a 10% bonus if you must so 65K really.

• Advertisement

Are you seriously comparing getting a new car to travelling? You live a worse life than i thought.

That's only your opinion,

As other have said a new car is a luxury for most people.

You'd rather keep your old car because of the numbers. (or lack of)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I have to buy a new or nearly new car as many insurance companies are charging ludicrous prices for first time car owners on older cars, and some companies are outright refusing to quote on some cars around 10 years old.

That's only your opinion,

As other have said a new car is a luxury for most people.

You'd rather keep your old car because of the numbers. (or lack of)

Please explain why i would spend 30K on a depreciating accet?

Not one person in this thread has proved any fact on the benefits except showing off to their neighbors.

I could buy a 7 series in the morning but i'm not that petty.

58K with a 10% bonus if you must so 65K really.

Here.. when the octavia starts giving trouble, give us a call will ya?

We'll sort you out no bother, even collect the car on the recovery & drop it back , boards.ie discount & everything.

Not one person in this thread has proved any fact on the benefits except showing off to their neighbors.

Accet? You mean Accent? your next car...

58k + 10% bonus you say? ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭denismc

My Octavia is still going strong after two years, had an Avensis before but it was 1.6 petrol and was driving up and down to Dublin, it was costing me a fortune on petrol is the only reason i got rid of it (240KM a day).

240km a day !!! That's 20 Euro a day in an economical diesel, or 100 quid a week, Doing that commute for 10 years would cost you 50k, and you think people are crazy for buying a new car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Some people like different stuff to you. Get over it.

Here.. when the octavia starts giving trouble, give us a call will ya?

We'll sort you out no bother, even collect the car on the recovery & drop it back , boards.ie discount & everything.

Nah i can get it collected from my work place for free and probably pay a hundred or two if a shock needs to be fixed and dropped back to the workplace.

Do you realize most garages do this now? No Bill without a quote first.

Its like we are living in 21st century and people have cell phones.

Its amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

"Why do other people do things that I don't do?"

AH in a nutshell.

I have a 2010 Skoda Octvaia Elegance 1.6 TDI for the last two years and cost me 6K. I never had an issue with the car and is going like its new.

It's the biggest depreciating asset you can ever own and a complete and utter waste of money.

Would you not rather travel or spend on stuff more important?

I’d rather spend it on a car than travel as I hate doing the latter. Importance is a personal opinion so spend it on whatever you want yourself. Travelling for me is the biggest waste of money I could possibly do.

On the car - more comfort, more new technology, maybe they just like cars and don’t just see them as an A to B tool.

• Advertisement

Nah i can get it collected from my work place for free and probably pay a hundred or two if a shock needs to be fixed and dropped back to the workplace.

Do you realize most garages do this now? No Bill without a quote first.

Its like we are living in 21st century and people have cell phones.

Its amazing.

& what about when theres a problem and needs a diagnosis?

& what about when theres a problem and needs a diagnosis?

Wow they do that for free as well. Its the 21st century.

I'm not in Dublin!!!

denismc wrote: »
    240km a day !!! That's 20 Euro a day in an economical diesel, or 100 quid a week, Doing that commute for 10 years would cost you 50k, and you think people are crazy for buying a new car!

Did it for three with the avensis, next question please.

Wow they do that for free as well. Its the 21st century.

I'm not in Dublin!!!

Neither am I, when you need a recovery & diagnosis give me a shout.. all free.

You might not like the quote though..

Neither am I, when you need a recovery & diagnosis give me a shout.. all free.

You might not like the quote though..

Obviously going to charge for a recovery, do you not understand that?

I'm talking about work that needs to be done or a diagnosis.

You do 240km a day, if you are genuine and do earn 65k, would you not rather something more comfy and road holding than a poverty-box octavia 1.6d? Considering you spend a huge portion of your life in there..

You keep going on about people showing off, but you're the only one whole keeps spouting how much money you have.

30k on a depreciating asset still works out better from a money point of view than spending money on holidays where you get no return. So ****e talking about how you are saving so much by buying 2nd hand is just that, ****e talk.

If you don't want to buy a new car even though you love to talk so much about how you could if you wanted to, that's grand, but don't go on like it makes you some sort of financial genius and using expensive holidays as a better use of the money. Again, your holiday depreciated 100% straight away. Any car you buy will give you a better return.

You do 240km a day, if you are genuine and do earn 65k, would you not rather something more comfy and road holding than a poverty-box octavia 1.6d? Considering you spend a huge portion of your life in there..

Feck sake read my posts, the avensis was a long time ago, i now have a five minute drive to work.

You keep going on about people showing off, but you're the only one whole keeps spouting how much money you have.

30k on a depreciating asset still works out better form a money point of view than spending money on holidays where you get no return. So ****e talking about how you are saving so much by buying 2nd hand is just that, ****e talk.

If you don't want to buy a new car even though you love to talk so much about how you could if you wanted to, that's grand, but don't go on like it makes you some sort of financial genius and using expensive holidays as a better use of the money. Again, your holiday depreciated 100% straight away. Any car you buy will give you a better return.

You just can't leave this go. You try to justify spending a fortune on cars, when i'm 45-50 and retired and enjoying sipping cocktails on a cruise, enjoy your new car.

• Advertisement

Feck sake read my posts, the avensis was a long time ago, i now have a five minute drive to work.

Apologies, a k11 should suit you better then rather than sooting up the octavia. 500 for a good little micra. ill take the octavia from ya for 550. Win Win for everyone

Advertisement