Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why and when did skinny jeans become fashionable for men?

Options
  • 27-12-2019 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

Seriously, they must be the most uncomfortable things to wear by a country mile. Thankfully I'm too old to engage in this phenomenon but Jaysus it's painful to watch all these young lads waddling around in them. They are too tight to be pulled up properly so the old kacks are always on display. They must crush the old nut sack to dangerous levels of discomfort and they look ridiculous yet still the young chaps flock to by them. Mostly accompanied by ankle socks and those ludicrous Toms slip on canvas shoes. So I ask ya, what's the attraction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Ah ****e sorry, this has been done before. Feel free to remove mods. Just saw a middle aged man struggling down the street in a pair and it put it in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I have leg muscles so could never wear them

D3V!L wrote: »

Doesn't stop some lads from trying. Seem to be very popular with some gaa players who also love those skinny tracksuits. I can't even fathom how they get them on never mind off again..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

If you’re between the age of 18 and 25 it’s fine, if you’re not, then should NEVER wear skinny jeans.

Slim fit or straight cut only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

What kind of jeans do you wear?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Tights have literally been around since the medieval era. The stupidity of complaining about ‘kids these days’ wearing tights is probably lost on you all.

https://www.gq.com/gallery/men-in-tights-history

Denim is just fabric. Tights been around for centuries.

I dont wear them, but why whinge about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

What kind of jeans do you wear?

Flares.

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Tights have literally been around since the medieval era. The stupidity of complaining about ‘kids these days’ wearing tights is probably lost on you all.

There's a big difference between tights and jeans though, do you not think??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Xworx all the way for me. Combine with about 20 Mitsu's and you're flying it.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Flares.

I wore flares religiously up until about 5 years ago..

I kept expecting them to come back into fashion, so I could be cool again, but they never did..

The whole skinny jeans thing has gotten ridiculous at this stage..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

*searches fashionable jeans

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Gerry G wrote: »
    There's a big difference between tights and jeans though, do you not think??

I assume OP is referring to the skin tight jeans (Aka Denim tights) that a lot of people wear. ‘Skinny’ can actually mean different cuts and not all of them are painted on.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Fully agree. Young lads in skinny jeans that are a bit too short and no show socks with leather brogues look ridiculous.
    But there have always been young men fashion trends that look ridiculous. Evan at the time.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

What's with all the threads complaining about the most trivial of sh*t recently? Like who the fúck cares? Let people wear what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

*searches fashionable jeans

Get with the times. December 2018.

That trend has come and gone twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 greencoat

Only if you are 18-25 blah blah blah,ok so skinny that your legs look like they have been painted denim for me would be a no,and yeah ole fellas over 40 with jeans to short and no socks for me yeah a no go but yeah a tight pair of jeans are a defo yes,see a geezer with a pair of flares on the other day,delighted they are out of fashion,shocking ole yokes..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

D3V!L wrote: »

That’s not true. I’ve fairly decent sized legs from squats and deadlifts and wear then all the time. Most skinny jeans are a denim and Lycra mix, so they stretch. They are incredibly comfortable to wear.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The real issue is the atrocity that is stretch fabric...stretch denim, stretch corduroy, stretch everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭S.G.M.

'My generation is better than yours'.
    Could we end this ****e and throw shaming people in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/dec/27/codpiece-envy-fashion-reinvents-16th-century-accessory

It's about to get a lot worse! Probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen in some time.

Any of you gents thinking of adopting this look?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,219 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can get away with slim ones rather than skinny.

I never thought id convert but tbh the material they are made out of is so stretchy and comfortably.

And I'm approaching mid 30s..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The manufacturers needed a way to cut costs.
    Skinny jeans are about 20% less cotton.
    Cotton is expensive.
    It was just a case of marketing then after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Gerry G wrote: »
    Why and when did skinny jeans become fashionable for men?
    In the 60's with Skinheads, and then 70's with punks. Teddy Boys were more trousers than jeans.

So basically, it's just cyclical. It'll be back to flares soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

About 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

They show the form of your legs. And yes, shock, Some ladies find male legs attractive.

I think early 2010’s they became more commonplace.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/dec/27/codpiece-envy-fashion-reinvents-16th-century-accessory

It's about to get a lot worse! Probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen in some time.

Any of you gents thinking of adopting this look?

He (I think) looks happy to be wearing it.

But, they got the most effeminate guy possible to wear. Put it on Dwayne Johnson and it's a different look :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

sk8erboii wrote: »

Why not whinge about it? It beats the pants off whinging about politics all the time and I don’t think anyone is actually taking it that seriously.

For what it’s worth though, reductionist nonsense like “denim is just fabric” and “tights have been around for centuries” ignores the point being made that they aren’t just denim, and they aren’t just tights, but I suspect you already knew that.

Why whinge about them? Because they look ridiculous on young men, that’s why. Do I think the young men who wear them care one iota for my opinion? No, of course not, but we’ll have a laugh about it anyway :D

He (I think) looks happy to be wearing it.

But, they got the most effeminate guy possible to wear. Put it on Dwayne Johnson and it's a different look :pac:

The model looks about 12!

It's not the first time in centuries it's made a comeback either, contrary to the article.Larry Blackmon of Cameo knew how to rock a cod piece and leggings. That was sexy. That model pictured in the article looks utterly bizarre.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    In the 60's with Skinheads, and then 70's with punks. Teddy Boys were more trousers than jeans.

So basically, it's just cyclical. It'll be back to flares soon...

This. The punks called em drainpipes and they were a reaction to flares. They were counter culture then, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I bet the Venn diagram of people who like Jeremy Clarkson and whinge about skinny jeans is a circle.

Advertisement