Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why and when did skinny jeans become fashionable for men?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Yawn. These threads come up every few months. TL:DR old bloke's don't get fashion. It's not a shocking revelation.

But as it happens, they're made of stretching denim so they're actually very comfortable - I only have experience of the reasonably skinny ones, not the spray on ones.

The ones who think their balls are too big are being a bit too generous to themselves. Believer it or not, they actually fit clothes to the body shape these days.

But ultimately the statement “old boys don’t get why young people do things differently” isn’t making and headlines.

Exactly.

If somebody called EL Duderino can't lay down the law on skinny jeans, who can?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Yawn. These threads come up every few months. TL:DR old bloke's don't get fashion. It's not a shocking revelation.

But as it happens, they're made of stretching denim so they're actually very comfortable - I only have experience of the reasonably skinny ones, not the spray on ones.

The ones who think their balls are too big are being a bit too generous to themselves. Believer it or not, they actually fit clothes to the body shape these days.

But ultimately the statement “old boys don’t get why young people do things differently” isn’t making and headlines.
    40's and 50's isn't old. Being in your 40's+ trying to dress like a 20 something makes a man look old and pathetic. If you like skinny jeans and you're happy in them then that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

When I was in my early twenties and late teens it was all about boot cut and flared jeans. (Keep in mind I am 35 now)

Mad how it is all swings and roundabouts when it comes to jeans over time. These days I just sport the regular straight leg fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Thanks for letting me know.
    I was thinking it was caused by the tightness of your jeans.

You're welcome ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Now you know how women feel when they're shopping for jeans. All the jeans are low waist and skin tight and highlight all the wobbly bits that women would rather not be seen. The jeans are designed for the under 30's usually at waif like teenagers.

They're not designed for humans at all. I have been underweight for most of my life, and I have problems getting skinny jeans that fit. Mostly because my feet won't make it all the way through the legs of the jeans, but more recently because they are about four or five inches too short for my legs. I have stopped buying trousers in the likes of Penneys because they seem to think that all women are shorter than 5' and have no feet or shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Skinny jeans have been around since the late 70's and early to late 80's.

People always seem to think that this is a recent phenomenon. It really is not. It's something of a misnomer thing.

I give you Phil Lynott:

These are not really the type of skinny jeans lads are wearing. They are more punk rocker type jeans. I disagree with an earlier poster that modern skinny jeans are tighter. Nowadays they seem loose yet skinny at the same time. Depends on the body type tho, jeans will look different depending on the person. I don't have long legs so they have that sort of baggy look

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It's odd. I mean its a fashion item that was really invented only for a woman's body.

My brother wears fitted jeans ..but not skinnies. Even skinny guys i know find them uncomfortable in the eh crotch area.

Plus apparently it bad for their fertility. Its all the heat and nut crushing.

Reminds me of the mighty boosh episode when Vince Noir wanted to wear skinnier jeans than anyone and tried to whither his legs down by only using a wheelchair.

Doesn't matter how little you walk guys you will never be skinnier than this guy

Obviously if you are gay ...carry on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

These are not really the type of skinny jeans lads are wearing. They are more ounck rocker type jeans

The fabric in those days wouldn't hold its clinginess the way lycra blends can now. They were punk/rock because that's who wore them. If you were wearing them, you weren't following fashion trends .

Are there any youth sub cultures any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The fabric in those days wouldn't hold its clinginess the way lycra blends can now. They were punk/rock because that's who wore them. If you were wearing them, you weren't following fashion trends .

Are there any youth sub cultures any more?

Hypebeasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

OP wears boot cut wranglers "The dirty looking eejit"

• Advertisement

Hypebeasts?

Are they rebelling in bell bottom flares?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Usually wear slim fit. Wouldn't wear skinny. Just not comfortable.

But baggy jeans look like crap to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Young lads are more effeminate these days. Walking around the shops today and the amount of lads aged 15-20 with their ankles on show was disturbing. Trousers/jeans that don’t go all the way down, madness.

Young lads are more effeminate these days. Walking around the shops today and the amount of lads aged 15-20 with their ankles on show was disturbing. Trousers/jeans that don’t go all the way down, madness.

15 years ago everyone was wading around in overlong, over wide flared jeans that would have high tide marks halfway up the shins on a wet day. Was that less ridiculous? People of older generations have been whinging about men being feminised since the Teddy Boys started combing their hair into D. A.'s and dressing in brightly colored suits ( there was nothing girly about that crowd, believe me ). This too shall pass. I would like to see a bit more diversity among young people . It probably is still there and I'm just too old to see it. C'est la vie.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    15 years ago everyone was wading around in overlong, over wide flared jeans that would have high tide marks halfway up the shins on a wet day. Was that less ridiculous? People of older generations have been whinging about men being feminised since the Teddy Boys started coming their hair into D. A.'s and dressing in brightly colored suits ( there was nothing girly about that crowd, believe me ). This too shall pass. I would like to see a bit more diversity among young people . It probably is still there and I'm just too old to see it. C'est la vie.

The jeans in complete tatters at the heel was a particular low point

lawred2 wrote: »

The rising smell of mildew in the college library on a wet day during exam week will be an abiding memory of my first year at University. I suppose the issue these days is foot rot from the no sock/slip on shoe/exposed ankle combo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Starred wearing skinny jeans in the late 70s (called 'drainpipes' in them days). Great that Im back in fashion again :) .

Gaspode wrote: »
    Starred wearing skinny jeans in the late 70s (called 'drainpipes' in them days). Great that Im back in fashion again :) .

Yup. Weren't made out of the forgiving fabric that the latest versions are made out of now., either.

My OH tells me he used to get his mother to stitch him into his before a night out, while his father had a conniption and threatened to kick him out of the house! Plus ça change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

What was tearing the back bit off about?

Seamai wrote: »
    What was tearing the back bit off about?

They weren't deliberately torn off but worn to bits being dragged along the ground or getting caught under the back of the shoe..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Wouldn't have them any other way... Better than having the shape of an upside down Christmas tree..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I don't like them. Couldn't care less about any external factors - just going by what they look like, and they don't look good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I don’t have any major “issues” with young lads wearing skinny jeans. Doesn’t look great on some of the “tubbier” types but they should know better.

Still, I’d rather have to look at that as opposed to some red-faced 30something in bootcut jeans, a check shirt and converse “runners”.

A truly dreadful look.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I think you are talking about this guy.

They weren't deliberately torn off but worn to bits being dragged along the ground or getting caught under the back of the shoe..

What's wrong with standard length? You don't have to chose between standing on the hem or exposinng your ankles.

All us cool ground breakers* wear proper socks and jeans with hems that touch the tops of our feet

*old farts/biddies

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Still, I’d rather have to look at that as opposed to some red-faced 30something in bootcut jeans, a check shirt and converse “runners”.

A truly dreadful look.

I wear that sometimes ...plus i am skinny ..and it makes me look even skinnier so i look like a teenage body with longish hair! :o

Ill never learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Men's boot cut Wranglers, for the win. Only way to go, you manly men!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Can you afford the women?:D Young girls aren't interested in older men unless there's a financial incentive. I'm sure all the 20 something year old girls hanging off elderly men genuinely love them for their bodies and their personalities.

You'd be suprised. Men can age well, and I have talked about this before and, tbh, the whole financial incentive is a type of myth about women.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This thread starts every year and every year it's claimed skinny Jean's are fashionable. Actually they are not for at least three years, they just refuse to die. Straight cut was probably more fashionable recently. Anyway Gucci, Celine and some others put boot cut jeans and proper flares out for SS2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

meeeeh wrote: »
    This thread starts every year and every year it's claimed skinny Jean's are fashionable. Actually they are not for at least three years, they just refuse to die. Straight cut was probably more fashionable recently. Anyway Gucci, Celine and some others put boot cut jeans and proper flares out for SS2020.

That's grand. The people who care about fashion can go but boot cut jeans and the people who whinge about only liking the boot cut, can wear the same as the fashionable people. I'll just buy the best fit for myself from whichever jeans are in the shops. I really don't car if they're boot cut or skinny or flared or blue of black or red.

Whatever happens, the people who give out about young people and think young people aren't as good as the old days, will continue to do so. There's nothing as dull and unthinking as someone who thinks they've discovered that young people are wrong for doing things differently to the old days.

Advertisement