Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why and when did skinny jeans become fashionable for men?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't care what they wear. Just don't call it fashion. It has nothing to do with fashion and at the moment skinny jeans is about as much on trend as boot cut. Probably a bit less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

That's grand. The people who care about fashion can go but boot cut jeans and the people who whinge about only liking the boot cut, can wear the same as the fashionable people. I'll just buy the best fit for myself from whichever jeans are in the shops. I really don't car if they're boot cut or skinny or flared or blue of black or red.

Whatever happens, the people who give out about young people and think young people aren't as good as the old days, will continue to do so. There's nothing as dull and unthinking as someone who thinks they've discovered that young people are wrong for doing things differently to the old days.
    I don't think that most people think that young people aren't as good as the old days. I'm a bit confused about the herd mentality of today's youth though. I'm generation X and it was about individuality, there were various tribes if you like fashion wise. But the offspring of Gen X are basically sheeple who want to dress in unisex tracksuits. I don't get all the navy suits worn with brown shoes or the love for skinny jeans. My only real gripe with skinny jeans is that they took over the market and if you are a middle aged woman skinny jeans are not your friend, especially low waist skinny jeans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

I don't think that most people think that young people aren't as good as the old days. I'm a bit confused about the herd mentality of today's youth though. I'm generation X and it was about individuality, there were various tribes if you like fashion wise. But the offspring of Gen X are basically sheeple who want to dress in unisex tracksuits. I don't get all the navy suits worn with brown shoes or the love for skinny jeans. My only real gripe with skinny jeans is that they took over the market and if you are a middle aged woman skinny jeans are not your friend, especially low waist skinny jeans.

There's always been the herd mentality, lately it's man buns, sleeve tattoos, skinny jeans, Conor Mcgregor and the woman are no better, everyone think there some kind of Instagram influencer or make out they lead that life... Xerox people, reminds me of this little diddy written years ago..

A faceless girl came up to me
    Remembered what I used to be
    Xerox personality, a sheep without identity

On Friday nights they'd go to parties
    Everyone they know is there
    They laugh and talk and get instructions
    On how to act and what to wear

IF you try to break the norm
    The followers they'll take you down
    Saying their **** and saying their crap
    Always talk behind my back!

Go to college go to war
    Get a job in daddy's store
    Follow all the family trends,
    Carbon copy of your friends

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

I don't know about skinny jeans but I decided to blame pharrell Williams for the no socks, patent leather shoes and nude ankles (with obligatory tans for pasty white gaa players) below skinny jeans

It's probably not his fault though....just comforting to have someone to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The Beatles wore skinny jeans. Henry VIII wore tights. Look how the Scarlet Pimpernel and all those boys dressed. And we still haven't turned into women.
    I don't wear them but only wear slim fit or well fitting jeans, and I'm 40 next year (gulp). "Regular" fit seems to be what the Americans call Mom jeans, so those and Boot Cut are popular with the type of Irish blokes who hate cyclists and don't believe in climate change. Jez Clarkson wears them ffs. There should be a Venn Diagram for hatred of skinny jeans and the other feelings on things to which it is associated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

meeeeh wrote: »
    This thread starts every year and every year it's claimed skinny Jean's are fashionable. Actually they are not for at least three years, they just refuse to die. Straight cut was probably more fashionable recently. Anyway Gucci, Celine and some others put boot cut jeans and proper flares out for SS2020.

Depends what you mean, they’re easily the most prevalent jean out there, maybe Irish people are slower to take on new trends or are just happier with that cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Sardonicat wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/dec/27/codpiece-envy-fashion-reinvents-16th-century-accessory

It's about to get a lot worse! Probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen in some time.

Any of you gents thinking of adopting this look?

I never understood these fashion shows with clothes that will never be seen on anyone other than the model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

I heard that only gay or bisexual men wear skinny jeans?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,963 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    I heard that only gay or bisexual men wear skinny jeans?

You’ve got a great source of info there. When you look around and see all the young lads wearing skinny jeans, is it kite likely that all the young lads are gay or it’s in fashion at the moment?

Sounds to me like you’re one who’d swallow anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Skinny Jean's until I die or get fat.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

You’ve got a great source of info there. When you look around and see all the young lads wearing skinny jeans, is it kite likely that all the young lads are gay or it’s in fashion at the moment?

Sounds to me like you’re one who’d swallow anything

Calm down love , I said I heard not that I believed it!

Gosh so sensitive!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

meeeeh wrote: »
    This thread starts every year and every year it's claimed skinny Jean's are fashionable. Actually they are not for at least three years, they just refuse to die. Straight cut was probably more fashionable recently. Anyway Gucci, Celine and some others put boot cut jeans and proper flares out for SS2020.

Have to say, not seeing them too much in Galway.

Skinny tracksuit bottoms though with ankle socks. What is going on with that!?

Maybe the Peaky Blinders look is on the way out. We love a fad!

Calm down love , I said I heard not that I believed it!

Gosh so sensitive!

Anyone with an ounce of sense would get that your source was taking the p1ss out of you.

Wompa1 wrote: »

Back on my day we were happy with whatever fitted us from the black bag left down to is from the cousins.

The youth of today eh?

Wompa1 wrote: »

They're all fads. What else could they be? There isn't an objectively better style so they come into fashion and then go out of fashion and something else becomes fashionable.

The real dopes are the ones who complain about fashion when it's always been there (even fado fado, way back in their own day).

They're just clothes. Some people go to a lot of lengths to express themselves through clothes, others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Ireland is too wet for flares or boot cut. Nothing worse than wet denim flapping around your knees.

Back on my day we were happy with whatever fitted us from the black bag left down to is from the cousins.

The youth of today eh?

That sounds tragic. Luckily things have improved and most people can choose their own clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Tights have literally been around since the medieval era. The stupidity of complaining about ‘kids these days’ wearing tights is probably lost on you all.

https://www.gq.com/gallery/men-in-tights-history

Denim is just fabric. Tights been around for centuries.

I dont wear them, but why whinge about this?

Are we bringing back the cod piece too?

I don't care who wears what, but skinny jeans are so ubiquitous now that it's actually getting difficult for an old fart like me to find a decent pair of regular fitting jeans anywhere.

If you have a 36" waist, manufacutrers seem to assume you're obviously eight feet tall when you look at the accompanying leg length.

*Sigh* I guess it's diet time or resign myself to M&S slacks for old people....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

That sounds tragic. Luckily things have improved and most people can choose their own clothes.

At the expense of sweatshop workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

They're all fads. What else could they be? There isn't an objectively better style so they come into fashion and then go out of fashion and something else becomes fashionable.

The real dopes are the ones who complain about fashion when it's always been there (even fado fado, way back in their own day).

They're just clothes. Some people go to a lot of lengths to express themselves through clothes, others don't.

Jeans, shirts, sneakers, dress shoes, suits all seem to be pretty constant.

The old combos, button ups, bell bottoms and skinny jeans won't be a constant. Doesn't bother me one way or another. It use to be hard to find clothes in Galway that weren't to whatever the fad was at the time but with online shopping now, it's not as much of a problem.

It's not just clothes. Donuts are another fad. Happened in the 90's too for a short spell. It seems there's more appetite for them now from people who were out in the US and Canada coming back.

We love a fad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The youth of today eh?

And now they're selling the black bag stuffed as a 700 quid jacket. Canada Goose, hideous and no idea why anyone buys it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

L1011 wrote: »
    And now they're selling the black bag stuffed as a 700 quid jacket. Canada Goose, hideous and no idea why anyone buys it

I agree, they're rotten. More knock offs out there than genuine ones though. Nike Vapormax are another baffling thing. Ugliest runners I've ever seen yet every young lad seems to be wearing them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

conorhal wrote: »
    I don't care who wears what, but skinny jeans are so ubiquitous now that it's actually getting difficult for an old fart like me to find a decent pair of regular fitting jeans anywhere.

If you have a 36" waist, manufacutrers seem to assume you're obviously eight feet tall when you look at the accompanying leg length.

*Sigh* I guess it's diet time or resign myself to M&S slacks for old people....
    I looked up the levi website and their 501's(the middle aged bloke jeans) in all their various fits can be had in 36 waist and 30 leg. If Jeremy Clarkson a gangly man who looks like he consumed a space hopper whole can get jeans to fit... If you know your size, shop online. Usually cheaper too.

Though I reckon folks should wear what they like and hang the begrudgers, there are certain clothes types that are pretty restrictive in who can get away with them. Belly tops. If you have a belly. No. Just no. Skinny jeans. If you're not skinny. No. Just no.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I mentioned having leg muscles earlier on in the thread. Forgot to mention i also have size 13 feet. So skinny jeans would look quite silly on me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gerry G wrote: »
    Ugliest runners I've ever seen yet every young lad seems to be wearing them
    If young fashions don't get middle aged farts wondering WTF and deriding them, they're doing it wrong. The job of the young is to irritate the old and seemingly give them major amnesia about their own generation's dodgier fashions. If anyone was a fashionable teen in the 1980's, well, let's leave it at that... :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

conorhal wrote: »
    Are we bringing back the cod piece too?

Apparently we are. I posted a link to an article up thread. Cod pieces not to be worn with tights but over lose fitting work slacks. Personally I'm all for the cod piece and tights combo. Lecherous old mare I'm turning into .

Ooh young man!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 ZuluDawn2020

Gerry G wrote: »
    Seriously, they must be the most uncomfortable things to wear by a country mile. Thankfully I'm too old to engage in this phenomenon but Jaysus it's painful to watch all these young lads waddling around in them. They are too tight to be pulled up properly so the old kacks are always on display. They must crush the old nut sack to dangerous levels of discomfort and they look ridiculous yet still the young chaps flock to by them. Mostly accompanied by ankle socks and those ludicrous Toms slip on canvas shoes. So I ask ya, what's the attraction?

Unless a guy is slim with a firm backside thighs and calves he will look unattractive in skinny jeans. Unless a guy is slim with a firm backside thighs and calves he will look unattractive in a pair of slacks etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Skinny jeans are among less forgiving types of trousers but they look great on some people. Personally I don't mind them but I find it in boring that the same type of trouser is around for at least 10 years and people still don't want to wear anything else. I suspect the big reason is that they usually have so much elastane in them everyone can find a comfortable pair no matter how unflattering they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The youth of today eh?

Yeah how dare they might want to dress well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

L1011 wrote: »

It's called conspicuous consumption, doesn't matter that it's ugly, they want everyone to know they can afford it.

Advertisement