Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why and when did skinny jeans become fashionable for men?

Options

Comments

Maybe it's the feminists trying to turn us all gay?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭cycling is fun

Not been smart but why do people think that people wear skinny jeans on purpose? I have been to several jeans shops over the last few years and its almost impossible to get a pair of any pair of jeans that is not skinny prefer loose jeans myself almost impossible to find a pair anymore

Maybe it's the feminists trying to turn us all gay?

Don't be ridiculous, Ducky.

Ducky?..

How dare you accuse me of being ridiculous..

I'm not the one going around in skinny jeans..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Last year a looser Jean was looking like it would come into fashion. Bieber was seen wearing them but they haven't taken off. Skinny jeans are nearly around 8 years at this stage and haven't budged. They are quite good look on a man. They make them look more sleek and taller.
    Not punk skinny jeans which are much tighter and restricting

• Advertisement

Yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

Harry Styles has been wearing flares recently any time i seen him on tv and on his new album art..

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

They are quite good look on a man. They make them look more sleek and taller.

Not to mention making us older men look better as we dont go around dressed like girls wearing tights and showing off our ankles.

Wonder will we see lads wearing makeup and high heels in the 20s? Of course we will :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I have huge quadriceps, skinny just won't fit but slim are a much better alternative AND much healthier for men in the private area.

I'd much rather see men wearing slim jeans than those discraceful flared jeans they call boot cut jeans that all the rural men wear, never a right time to be wearing those EVER.

As for the skinny addidas and o'neills track pants, they're just embarrassing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

I've noticed it's becoming increasingly difficult to purchase regular trousers. It's always either slim or straight fit.

And what is with shops pandering to porkers? I was in Dunnes the other day and struggled to find 32/32 trousers and small shirts.

Does it say something about the obesity epedemic in this country?

Even straight fit are quite baggy below the knees.

Are you a bootcut jeans with a pair of shoes sort of man?

• Advertisement

Ducky?..

How dare you accuse me of being ridiculous..

Just to point out - seems as I need to - considering what you removed on the smoking thread. I was joking, I am in no way impugning your masculinity. I don't know you from Adam.

However, we all make mistakes - I had assumed you were joking first.

Just to point out - seems as I need to - considering what you removed on the smoking thread. I was joking, I am in no way impugning your masculinity. I don't know you from Adam.

However, we all make mistakes - I had assumed you were joking first.

What did I remove?..(I was joking..)

As a general rule of thumb I'm usually only half serious on boards..

What did I remove?..(I was joking..)

I'll PM you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Sardonicat wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/dec/27/codpiece-envy-fashion-reinvents-16th-century-accessory

It's about to get a lot worse! Probably the most ridiculous thing I've seen in some time.

Any of you gents thinking of adopting this look?

I like the idea, but I have never read an article so much full of penis envy in my life :P

Imo, you could be more subtle and have the crotch just be a slightly different shade of color that a woman will notice but a man probably wont.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Current Affairs?

Seriously?

I know we allow leeway over topics, but this does not belong in CA

I'm moving it to AH, and the local mods can decide if to re-open it

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Reopening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Any man over the age of 40 who wears skinny jeans just looks ridiculous. I don't care how well toned they are, women just find it hilarious, if my husband came home with a pair I wouldn't know whether to laugh or be worried that he might be having a mid life crisis, still if it was a midlife crisis it would be cheaper than a sports car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

Any man over the age of 40 who wears skinny jeans just looks ridiculous. I don't care how well toned they are, women just find it hilarious, if my husband came home with a pair I wouldn't know whether to laugh or be worried that he might be having a mid life crisis, still if it was a midlife crisis it would be cheaper than a sports car.

Hmmmm, sounds like a good idea not to be threated like the husband ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Skinny/slim fit is just a better clean look all around aesthetically.

You can get stretch skinny jeans which are seriously comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Went shopping for jeans last week, very little sign of regular ones. And if they did, was either way too small or way too big. Tried on some straight ones, it's just too tight. If didnt get long ones, they'd be too short.

Skinny ones are ridiculous. Throw in the no socks and it's just terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Slim aren't that much different from normal to be fair, just don't have the width around the ankle as straight cut. I'm a chunky lad myself and I look perfectly normal in slim fit.

Skinny are a different beast entirely. Ridiculous looking on any man of any age. But I'll agree its nowhere near as stupid a trend as the no socks and trousers not speaking to their ankles.

Was at a work Christmas do a few weeks back and spotted a fella coming out. Wearing an ugly check suit, kinda shyte McGregor would wear. Top knot and bow tie (seeing a definite McGregor theme) and to top it off these ugly-as-sin slip on shoes, no socks, and I swear his trousers stopped a good 8 inches from the shoe. About a third of his shin was visible.

Hey its a free world, and he's perfectly free to wear what he pleases.

And I'm perfectly free to roll my eyes and shake my head at the plain stupidity of it all.

Best of it is, I work in an all female (other than myself) office. Age range from 19 to 55. Not a single solitary one of them find that look attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Skinny/slim fit is just a better clean look all around aesthetically.

Are you sayin I look duurty? All the jeans are made for the leggy rakes now I’ll manage to source a pair of ‘straight’ aka slim and then hem about 8 inches off the yokes.

Hmmmm, sounds like a good idea not to be threated like the husband ;)
    'threated'? Have you been on the sauce?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Slim aren't that much different from normal to be fair, just don't have the width around the ankle as straight cut. I'm a chunky lad myself and I look perfectly normal in slim fit.

Skinny are a different beast entirely. Ridiculous looking on any man of any age. But I'll agree its nowhere near as stupid a trend as the no socks and trousers not speaking to their ankles.

Was at a work Christmas do a few weeks back and spotted a fella coming out. Wearing an ugly check suit, kinda shyte McGregor would wear. Top knot and bow tie (seeing a definite McGregor theme) and to top it off these ugly-as-sin slip on shoes, no socks, and I swear his trousers stopped a good 8 inches from the shoe. About a third of his shin was visible.

Hey its a free world, and he's perfectly free to wear what he pleases.

And I'm perfectly free to roll my eyes and shake my head at the plain stupidity of it all.

Best of it is, I work in an all female (other than myself) office. Age range from 19 to 55. Not a single solitary one of them find that look attractive.
    What is it with men wearing brown brogues with navy suits? It's atrocious and tacky.

Mushy wrote: »
    Went shopping for jeans last week, very little sign of regular ones. And if they did, was either way too small or way too big. Tried on some straight ones, it's just too tight. If didnt get long ones, they'd be too short.

Skinny ones are ridiculous. Throw in the no socks and it's just terrible
    Now you know how women feel when they're shopping for jeans. All the jeans are low waist and skin tight and highlight all the wobbly bits that women would rather not be seen. The jeans are designed for the under 30's usually at waif like teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm 40, not tall, in decent shape and quite slim. I only switched to skinny jeans (not over kill skinny, just comfortably skinny) a few years ago. It's only since then that jeans actually fit me. Crotch area is a different issue but at least the legs are comfy now and look half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Gerry G wrote: »
    Seriously, they must be the most uncomfortable things to wear by a country mile. Thankfully I'm too old to engage in this phenomenon but Jaysus it's painful to watch all these young lads waddling around in them. They are too tight to be pulled up properly so the old kacks are always on display. They must crush the old nut sack to dangerous levels of discomfort and they look ridiculous yet still the young chaps flock to by them. Mostly accompanied by ankle socks and those ludicrous Toms slip on canvas shoes. So I ask ya, what's the attraction?

It doesn't bother me because they will never have offspring to pass their jeans to...

***Crickets***

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have leg muscles so could never wear them
    So does Ronaldo!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I look awesome in skinny jeans over 40 thanks. Doesn’t suit many an Irish lad though so I can understand all the haters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Are you sayin I look duurty? All the jeans are made for the leggy rakes now I’ll manage to source a pair of ‘straight’ aka slim and then hem about 8 inches off the yokes.

It's a better look than bootcut jeans IMO.

I'm not a fan of the 'spray on' type skinny jeans TBH. Looks a bit too feminine for me.

But regular stretch skinny/slim/chino looks good and is actually genuinely very comfortable to wear.

As regards no show socks... I like to wear them with shorts and casual shoe/runner, so for me only summer use or if I'm running. Not really a fan of the ankle showing and short trouser/jeans look. A bit too Mr. McGregor for me.

I do cuff jeans/chinos though.

Advertisement