Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So probably 85% of people dont want this law, apart from a few holy Joes here and there. Why on earth are they doing something that will make us hate them even more? Also how come FF dont come out and say theyll scrap it if they get voted in, an easy vote winner from the common man.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So probably 85% of people dont want this law, apart from a few holy Joes here and there. Why on earth are they doing something that will make us hate them even more? Also how come FF dont come out and say theyll scrap it if they get voted in, an easy vote winner from the common man.

they are doing it for the benefit of publicans and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

pretty sure all parties are in favour of it.

easypazz wrote: »
    pretty sure all parties are in favour of it.

Yes I'm pretty sure no one voted against it. F*cking bizarre how out of touch they are with normal people.

You can get 2 litres here for less than €50 most of the time anyway.

Where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Where?
    Tesco is the cheapest I have seen Jameson here. At the minute I think it's €20 for 750ml and €28 for 1L.

But I only saw the 1L as I was going out the door the other day, so I might be wrong about that one. I will however, be going back to get one, as it will definitely go up.

Suckit wrote: »
    Tesco is the cheapest I have seen Jameson here. At the minute I think it's €20 for 750ml and €28 for 1L.

But I only saw the 1L as I was going out the door the other day, so I might be wrong about that one. I will however, be going back to get one, as it will definitely go up.

tesco are charging 38 euro for a 1L bottle of Jameson at the moment.

Suckit wrote: »

I just checked the website, its 38 for a litre.

3 700ml bottles would be 2.1 liters but would cost you 60 quid.

While 20 euros for Jameson sounds like good value, the same bottle in Czech Republic would cost 13 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I just checked the website, its 38 for a litre.

3 700ml bottles would be 2.1 liters but would cost you 60 quid.

While 20 euros for Jameson sounds like good value, the same bottle in Czech Republic would cost 13 euros.

I think the only way you'd get 2 litres for €50 here would be (a) when it's on offer at €20 for 70cl AND (b) you have a spend €50 get €10 off coupon. Buy 3.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I doubt Jameson will go up in price under MUP.

Of course it will go up

The likes of Aldi whiskey will go up to a minimum of €22.09 under MUP increasing by over €3

Their scotch will go up over €6

You don't think Jameson will add on €3 as a premium brand?

Of course they will

No way can you get 2 litres of Jameson for less than €50 most of the time

Most of the sales in Jameson are 700ml bottles so you would need 3 for €50

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Of course it will go up

The likes of Aldi whiskey will go up to a minimum of €22.09 under MUP increasing by over €3

Their scotch will go up over €6

You don't think Jameson will add on €3 as a premium brand?

Of course they will

The producers might increase wholesale prices but the multiples will still sell the 'premium' brands as loss-leaders to get folk in their doors. So Jameson and the likes should still be on offer as cheap as MUP allows at least some of the time.

The likelihood is that many/most own-label budget brands will just be squeezed out of the market as they'll no longer have a raison d'être.

Dunnes often do the Jameson 700ml for €20 which is €15 nett of vouchers or €21.5 for a litre.

Tesco had 2 for €35 the other day.

Dunnes often do the Jameson 700ml for €20 which is €15 nett of vouchers or €21.5 for a litre.

none of which they would be able to do under MUP.

none of which they would be able to do under MUP.

You are correct, would 1 litre of Jameson be €32 minimum!!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Wont go through until the north implements similar i reckon, as it will just push millions of euro over the border. The north are years away from even thinking about this with the brexit shambles.

Hopefully

somebody earlier gave a figure of 22.03 for a 700ml bottle which make it 31.45 for 1L

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I doubt Jameson will go up in price under MUP.

Of course it will. When "cheap" brands go up, premium brands will go up to maintain the price differential.

Remember, this is not a tax it is all extra profit for retailers.

Jameson is one of my favourite whiskeys. You are talking through your hoop.

Normal price per litre:

Canary Islands : €14-15
    Ireland : €42-43

Dunnes often do the Jameson 700ml for €20

Bollox.
    They don't "often" do this. It is a very exceptional offer. And talk of vouchers is bollox also, if I use my voucher on alcohol then I can't use it on my groceries.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Ive never seen a litre for 32 as it stands. It remains pretty static at 38. Meanwhile 700 ml can currently be got for 20 in tesco.

Often? No. Around Christmas is all. Maybe before Easter Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Leo ramping the introduction of mup again saying that the government can't wait for NI to get it's act together and wants to push ahead with it.
    That'll lead to shelves in supermarkets and off licences being stocked with just big brands like Smirnoff, Heineken etc and more expensive craft beers.
    All the 'cheaper' brands will be gone as their prices will be pushed up to match these premium products and nobody will buy them.
    Will this stop problem drinkers.....No, they will buy booze regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Of course it will. When "cheap" brands go up, premium brands will go up to maintain the price differential.

Remember, this is not a tax it is all extra profit for retailers.

Jameson is one of my favourite whiskeys. You are talking through your hoop.

Normal price per litre:

Canary Islands : €14-15
    Ireland : €42-43

Bollox.
    They don't "often" do this. It is a very exceptional offer. And talk of vouchers is bollox also, if I use my voucher on alcohol then I can't use it on my groceries.
    Must agree with easypazz here. Dunnes have Jameson for €20 at least 4 times per year including now. I have bought them for my brother's every Christmas for the last 3 years for €20. So yes, it's often.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Must agree with easypazz here. Dunnes have Jameson for €20 at least 4 times per year including now. I have bought them for my brother's every Christmas for the last 3 years for €20. So yes, it's often.

Four times a year is not 'often'.
    Plus €20 on OFFER is still more expensive than the RRP in Latvia.
    To get the price down further you have to have a voucher (and then can't use the voucher for other Dunnes products) and buy multiple bottles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Leo ramping the introduction of mup again saying that the government can't wait for NI to get it's act together and wants to push ahead with it.
    That'll lead to shelves in supermarkets and off licences being stocked with just big brands like Smirnoff, Heineken etc and more expensive craft beers.
    All the 'cheaper' brands will be gone as their prices will be pushed up to match these premium products and nobody will buy them.

Leo's bluffing

I don't think he will want to do this before a General Election and also lose out on millions in tax going over the border

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Leo's bluffing

I don't think he will want to do this before a General Election and also lose out on millions in tax going over the border

Yep i like a glass of wine , i live an hour from Enniskillen and i’ll be filling the boot with wine with deals from the likes of Asda and Tesco etc for a Sunday drive every so often.

I don't think anything any Irish govenrment has done, has ever annoyed me as much as this nonsense

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-sale-of-cheap-alcohol-4938965-Dec2019/

Another poll here. Any poll has been a landslide against these measures. They keep telling us we have cheap alcohol in Ireland, we f*cking don't.
    Why don't the people get a say in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Why don't the people get a say in this?

It won’t be stopping at the alcohol either. Harris next target is obesity, so we’ll be looking forward to a “fat tax” i’m sure.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It won’t be stopping at the alcohol either. Harris next target is obesity, so we’ll be looking forward to a “fat tax” i’m sure.

I mean I could almost live with that, but keep your hands off my f*cking beer you nerdy little sh*t Harris, look at the weather outside, and he wants to take our booze away. Grrrr.

Here is what Leo said, according to the journal article.

“If people are crossing the border to buy cheap alcohol, this measure will not work economically or in public health terms,” Varadkar said.

So on the one hand he says it won't work until NI come on board but at the same time he says he might do it anyway, which is it Leo?

One would hope a GE kicks this can down the road too. The only problem is that every member of the Dail supported these measures, what a bunch of spineless cretins.

• Advertisement

I was in Dunnes yesterday. Jameson 27. Tesco have it for 20.

You quoted prices for a litre. The standard is bottle is 700ml, which has the 20-ish price tag at by your reckoning 'often' of 4 times a year.

Meanwhile my local Spar are charging 36 for the same bottle.

If I'd time i'd do a weekend in Prague before Christmas where I can get the same bottle for 14 euros.

But the alcohol is so cheap here so I'll stay :rolleyes:

Advertisement