Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭buried

Whats the vintner federation plan after this doesn't work and people still refuse to go to the pub to pay nearly a tenner for a pint of liquid every night?

Are they going to make the politicians introduce a sit inside your own gaff every evening tax?

Probably

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Simon clearly saw that the current/ recent 48 cans for 40 quid in Centra and Tesco were not in keeping with the republic of rent/ insurance.

My 48 cans are still in the boot since last Saturday, just in case Simon was worried I hadn't the self control not to drink them in work on Monday.

Here's a quick poll,how many problem drinkers do posters here see stocking up on these offers in Centra,Tesco wherever? I for one never see the local beer hounds doing it.
    My missus laughs at me availing of drinks offers as I drink so little at home but they are handy to have around Christmas when visitors are over or we are going somewhere and it's BYOB.
    There's plenty of people who rarely if ever buy off sales but spend most of their time on a high stool but apparently they are okay as they are in an environment that's a "safe space" and not guzzling cheap booze at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

No that's the ideal environment apparently

'Far' safer than ones own home

In fact this whole proposal is about trying to get people back to pubs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

buried wrote: »
    Whats the vintner federation plan after this doesn't work and people still refuse to go to the pub to pay nearly a tenner for a pint of liquid every night?

Are they going to make the politicians introduce a sit inside your own gaff every evening tax?

Probably

There are only two possible scenarios once we fall into the grip of MUP.

1- Less drink is sold so they say it's working and we need to increase the MUP to make it work even better.

2- Drink sales stay the same or increase so they say it's not working and they need to increase the MUP to make it work.

Either way we are goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

elperello wrote: »
    I heard our bete noire Mr Eunan McKinney of Alcohol Action Ireland on the radio today.
    He actually denied that moderate drinkers will pay more for their drink of choice under MUP.
    According to him we all drink premium drinks anyway so it won't affect us.

Does he not realise that addicts will pay whatever it takes to get pissed

And the rest of us will now have to match it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭various artistes

Here's a quick poll,how many problem drinkers do posters here see stocking up on these offers in Centra,Tesco wherever? I for one never see the local beer hounds doing it.

I'd say if he could the likes of my uncle would gladly buy 96 cans for 80 quid, for 50 weeks worth, 4000 per year, that would make them a tremendous saving year round.

Unfortunately these offers aren't advertised months in advance so these lads can't cobble together 4000 to keep them drunk for a year.

24 cans for 20 euro is an amazing price, and that joyless prick Harris wants to take it away.

Does he not realise that addicts will pay whatever it takes to get pissed

And the rest of us will now have to match it

And if they can't get the money together for the drink some local young lad will call over on his bike with something stronger.

The guys drinking in pubs,hotels and golf clubs will be unaffected.

Just leaves us the real eejits to pay up or go on the dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They might pass legislation that having over a crate of beer in your house will result in 2 years in Mountjoy.

They might pass legislation that having over a crate of beer in your house will result in 2 years in Mountjoy.

Some of the crowd over on the Booze Bargains thread will get life :)

So glad that the biggest single problem in the country is now being taken care of with such priority given to it :rolleyes:

Eoin O'Broin of Sinn Fein called for a rent freeze which was rejected by the government but as you say, thankfully they have time and passion for this wonderful ploy to take more money from my pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    He's ridiculous and none of the presenters will ever pull him up on it

MUP will affect everybody who buys any drink that was under the MUP

Stormont def won't be fixed by January and I doubt FG want to bring in MUP before an election or lose exchequer funds from cross border shopping

He specifically mentioned that in the clip I heard and reckons people won’t be bothered spending 90 mins in a car heading north. They seem to be completely out of touch.

F34 wrote: »
    He specifically mentioned that in the clip I heard and reckons people won’t be bothered spending 90 mins in a car heading north. They seem to be completely out of touch.

To be honest, no people won't be bothered spending 90 minutes going across the border. The disparity is currently so huge that its worth it. Any small increase here will send people flocking to Derry.

I bought two litres of Jameson in Belfast a few weeks ago for £50. One litre here is 38 euro. If it hits 50 for a litre here people will be flocking in droves.

Discussion coming up on Virgin Media 1.

Eoin O'Broin of Sinn Fein called for a rent freeze which was rejected by the government but as you say, thankfully they have time and passion for this wonderful ploy to take more money from my pocket.

Quite a few top politicians are in or have friends in the property game and in the pub game. Anything seen as a threat is treated accordingly by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Their reasoning for being against a rent freeze was that fixing the price is an easy quick fix that will cause more damage long term.

Meanwhile they're going to solve the issue of problem drinkers by er...fixing the price. Flawless logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

elperello wrote: »
    Discussion coming up on Virgin Media 1.

Just been watching for a couple of minutes

Is there anybody on that panel who isn't a complete gobsh!te, utter liar, or both?

Life ain't always empty.

I nearly threw the remote at my lovely 42 inch flat screen telly.

"Because alcohol is so cheap here"

Go f*ck yourself.

Go and travel and see what is cheap in other countries.

Is there anybody on that panel who isn't a complete gobsh!te, utter liar, or both?

Nobody on the panel who disagress. One big circle jerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Go f*ck yourself.

And wages are the same yeah?

Poland for example?

I don't know about that but you can tell the politicians hold their clinics in pubs.
    I know for a fact MF does.

• Advertisement

And wages are the wage yeah?

Poland for example?

France, Germany, Belgium, a bottle of wine is 2-3 euros. A bottle of beer 50 cent. Not supermarket budget basement brands but mainstream ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I could see a boycott of pubs when this ever goes live, will be fun times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Is there talk of this controlling floor pricing in other countries?
    https://phys.org/news/2019-12-debunks-myth-imposed-floor-alcohol.html

This should be fun. I know that here, we as a nation in the last 30 years seem to have become more submissive, but I wait with bated breath for the outcome of this in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

So what would a bottle of wine that’s say 7/8 euro now work out after the minimun pricing is brought in?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    So what would a bottle of wine that’s say 7/8 euro now work out after the minimun pricing is brought in?

It'll be brought up to match the price of a more premium brand.

A can of Galahad is about 75c or so,if this mup comes in it'll be the same price as a can of Heineken or similar.

Cheap €15 per 70cl spirits will be increased in price to match Smirnoff or similar brands.

Of course it's Ireland so watch as the premium brands are sneakily increased in price too and mup is blamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes.

50cl cans start at 29c in Germany.

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes.

50cl cans start at 29c in Germany.

Czech Republic, ten bottles of beer 4 euro.

Ireland, 4 bottles of Czech beer ten euros.

We have cheap alcohol here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,905 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Suckit wrote: »
    Is there talk of this controlling floor pricing in other countries?
    https://phys.org/news/2019-12-debunks-myth-imposed-floor-alcohol.html

These background studies are bogus in my view in terms of applicability to a country (or island) as a whole.
    'Canada' did not introduce MUP, one province did. Scotland introduced it, England did not. That Australian province is huge though, it's the size of a large country.
    You would need to look at the differences between its sub-regions that are adjacent to states that did not introduce MUP versus those 'deep' inside the Northern Territory.

Unless you factor in cross-jurisdiction sales they prove nothing much really about total effects on consumption \ pricing.
    Although you can say that the poorest potentially would be least able to avail of cross-jurisdiction sales so the findings may be more applicable at lower income scales.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I had a list of price matches from France, Germany, Netherlands and one or two more, but there is no need for it. The prices are ridiculous here.

Anyone that says alcohol here is cheap, is so far out of touch that they shouldn't be speaking in public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

To be honest, no people won't be bothered spending 90 minutes going across the border. The disparity is currently so huge that its worth it. Any small increase here will send people flocking to Derry.

I bought two litres of Jameson in Belfast a few weeks ago for £50. One litre here is 38 euro. If it hits 50 for a litre here people will be flocking in droves.

I doubt Jameson will go up in price under MUP.

You can get 2 litres here for less than €50 most of the time anyway.

Advertisement