Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I don't think anything any Irish govenrment has done, has ever annoyed me as much as this nonsense

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-sale-of-cheap-alcohol-4938965-Dec2019/

Another poll here. Any poll has been a landslide against these measures. They keep telling us we have cheap alcohol in Ireland, we f*cking don't.
    Why don't the people get a say in this?

The myth of cheap alacohol has come from Eunan McKinney and is taken for fact by the government and media

We already have amongst the dearest alcohol in Europe without MUP

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't think anything any Irish govenrment has done, has ever annoyed me as much as this nonsense

https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-sale-of-cheap-alcohol-4938965-Dec2019/

Another poll here. Any poll has been a landslide against these measures. They keep telling us we have cheap alcohol in Ireland, we f*cking don't.
    Why don't the people get a say in this?

Really, nothing. The bank bail out, blood transfusion scandal, HSE, education. They all rank lower on your scale than the price of off licence alcohol?

You need to reassess your perspectives.

People do get a say. Firstly in terms of telling their local TDs. Then there is an election coming. Thirdly, boycott. Both off licence and pubs if this is every passed.

We each have far more power than we think, but we need to have the desire to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

VFI lobby must be close to giving out the auld brown envelopes for Election time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Really, nothing. The bank bail out, blood transfusion scandal, HSE, education. They all rank lower on your scale than the price of off licence alcohol?

Yes. I was working abroad for the years of the bad times, and I've had nothing but good experiences with the Irish healthcare system, and our excellent education systems.
    This feels like they're stamping on my civil liberties and right to do as I please in my spare time.

squawker wrote: »
    VFI lobby must be close to giving out the auld brown envelopes for Election time

Close to? Continuing to do so you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

Close to? Continuing to do so you mean.

have to be far heavier around election time though

expensive affairs these elections, auld Leo will need twice as much spray tan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I was in Dunnes yesterday. Jameson 27. Tesco have it for 20.

You quoted prices for a litre. The standard is bottle is 700ml, which has the 20-ish price tag at by your reckoning 'often' of 4 times a year.

Meanwhile my local Spar are charging 36 for the same bottle.

If I'd time i'd do a weekend in Prague before Christmas where I can get the same bottle for 14 euros.

But the alcohol is so cheap here so I'll stay :rolleyes:

Jameson 700ml has been more or less readily available for €20 since the middle of October across different outlets. Works out at €28.60 for 1 Litre. It can also be got for less than €20 / 700ml from time to time.

Sometimes it goes for less, but anybody who likes Jameson, has plenty of opportunity over the year to stock up, these offers run for a while in the leadup to Paddys day, easter, June bank holiday etc.

easypazz wrote: »
    Jameson 700ml has been more or less readily available for €20 since the middle of October across different outlets. Works out at €28.60 for 1 Litre. It can also be got for less than €20 / 700ml from time to time.

Sometimes it goes for less, but anybody who likes Jameson, has plenty of opportunity over the year to stock up, these offers run for a while in the leadup to Paddys day, easter, June bank holiday etc.

You are talking rubbish.

"Works out at 28.60 a litre" Yeah but the litre bottle remains static at the cheapest place to get it, Tesco, at 38 euros.

Please point me in the direction of where, any time in the last ten years it was less than 20 euros. RRP being 27 euro.

I'm a regular Jameson drinker, as is my father(ex Jameson Master distiller), and the topic of how much and where is a regular topic of conversation. From those conversations, you're either shopping in Musgraves or still living in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not saying that there should be MUP.
    I'm not saying that booze is cheap in Ireland compared to most other countries.

But...
    Booze is way, way cheaper than it was in, lets say 1994.

Back then, I could buy a can of 5% lager for £1 -nothing really cheaper than that- according to CSO calculator, that's €2 in today's money.

But today, we can buy a can of 5% lager for €1 or less.

Back then a cheap bottle of wine was £5 - it didn't really get any cheaper - that's around €10.14 in today's money.
    But today we can buy a bottle of cheap plonk for €5

I think it's fair to say that in 25 years, booze has effectively halved in price.

Just some food for thought.

You are talking rubbish.

"Works out at 28.60 a litre" Yeah but the litre bottle remains static at the cheapest place to get it, Tesco, at 38 euros.

Please point me in the direction of where, any time in the last ten years it was less than 20 euros. RRP being 27 euro.

I'm a regular Jameson drinker, as is my father(ex Jameson Master distiller), and the topic of how much and where is a regular topic of conversation. From those conversations, you're either shopping in Musgraves or still living in the 90s.

What difference does it make if its bought in 700ml bottles or 1 litre bottles?

It still works out at €28.71 per litre. I'd consider that the price point at which to stock up on bottles, unless it has to be in 1 litre bottles for some reason.

Tesco had 2 x 700ml for €35 a couple of weeks ago. That's the price point to go all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,108 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

While Jameson has been available for 20 euro, I would not agree with the description: "readily available".

You have got to keep an eye out for these deals, they usually only last for a few days, and/or there are quotas.

Has it been available at 20? Technically, yes.

Has it been available at 20, in many different stores, for many consecutive weeks = no.

Under 20? I've never seen that.

But...

Back then, I could buy a can of 5% lager for £1 -nothing really cheaper than that- according to CSO calculator, that's €2 in today's money.

Back then a cheap bottle of wine was £5 - it didn't really get any cheaper - that's around €10.14 in today's money.

I think it's fair to say that in 25 years, booze has effectively halved in price.

Yes, it is true that the price of beer in supermarkets has fallen in real terms.

That is true, especially the 33cl bottles.

It seems to be these cases of 20/24 bottles/cans for 18-24 euro, that is what people are considering "too cheap".

I recall bushing in 1994 approx, paying more then for 33cl cans of lager than you could pay now.

But...

Back then we had the groceries order, AFAIK, so price fixing was in place before.

After the groceries order was lifted, along with changes in the licencing laws, many of the small rural shops, butchers and pubs were put out of business and small villages and towns went into serious decline.

Then shopping centres and supermarkets were redeveloped into even bigger units with shiny new motorways to their doors and the last of the clothes and shoe shops in rural Ireland started to close.

More and more people upped sticks to live in the city and now we have high rents, high house prices and a homeless crisis but nobody wants to live in rural Ireland because the social fabric has been destroyed.

That's just the way it is.

But...

Are you sure about the wine?

Were there not some fairly big increases in excise duty on wine during the last decade?

Geuze wrote: »
    I recall bushing in 1994 approx, paying more then for 33cl cans of lager than you could pay now.

I was talking 50cl cans.
    33cl cans were very rare back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Were there not some fairly big increases in excise duty on wine during the last decade?

Wines have gone up 2-3 euros since 2010 due to 'flat' wine duty increase.
    This has the biggest % increase on wines under €10 which represent the bulk of purchases.
    Used to be able to get drinkable bottles in ALDI and LIDL for €5 or under.

In France, you can get drinkable bottles for €3. Irish whiskey was cheaper there too than here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The cheapest wine is still around €5.
    Back then it was £5 - probably better quality that the €5 now but that was the floor price as I remember .

While Jameson has been available for 20 euro, I would not agree with the description: "readily available".

You have got to keep an eye out for these deals, they usually only last for a few days, and/or there are quotas.

Has it been available at 20? Technically, yes.

Has it been available at 20, in many different stores, for many consecutive weeks = no.

Under 20? I've never seen that.

Tesco was 2 for €35 a few weeks ago, even came with 2 free glasses in a gift box. Didn't last long to be fair.

Dunnes had it for €20/700ml a few weeks ago before applying vouchers so worked out at €21.42 for a litre.

All this was posted here.

I accept you need to keep an eye out for the bargains but if you wanted to buy say 20 x 700ml bottles between the middle of October and the end of December there are ample opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Back then it was £5 - probably better quality that the €5 now but that was the floor price as I remember .

My mid-90's recollection is that is was around £7-8 for a cheap bottle at the local off-license. I suppose you may have got it for a fiver if you went hunting but it was generally around that.

Pints were about £2 - so there was feck all difference between having a bottle of wine at home or 4 pints out in the pub.

Nowadays the same 4 pints will be costing you around €20, whereas you'll get a selection of wine in Lidl or Aldi for €6-7 ( i would say better quality than the mid-90's cheap stuff) - it's a huge swing in the on vs off license price.

Tesco was 2 for €35 a few weeks ago, even came with 2 free glasses in a gift box. Didn't last long to be fair.

God forbid you should be out of the country during the couple of days when this once a year offer was running. Maybe you were up North filling your boot with even cheaper booze though so that's alright.
    I don't know where you are going down this rabbit hole, but it's just a distraction and you're not convincing anyone who has seen the drinks aisle in other EU countries such as France or Latvia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Must agree with easypazz here. Dunnes have Jameson for €20 at least 4 times per year including now. I have bought them for my brother's every Christmas for the last 3 years for €20. So yes, it's often.

Wrong. It's Christmas and possibly Easter, but not other bank holidays. I check the price regularly and I'm in Dunnes every week.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

The government are set to bring in minimum alcohol pricing.

A slab of 24 cans will have a minimum price of €48 and a bottle of spirits will be a minimum of €28.

Ultimate nanny state bolloxogy and pandering again to the vitners association.

I'm on touch site, so link to follow.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2016/1124/834033-alcohol-research-rcsi/

(Misspelling in the headline ... no surprises coming from that North Korean unionised crap rag anyway.)

This is absolute nonsense in my opinion. Even the cheapest of beers (shop own brand) will have to be sold at €2 per can (1 Euro per unit of alcohol). Naggins will be a minimum of €8, 70cl bottles will be €28, cans of beer €2 and a whopping €40 for a litre of spirits.

We are heading on a slippery slope towards a fascist Nazi-style dictatorship. Ireland is a First World country, I believe in capitalism. If someone over the legal drinking age wants to buy a can of beer at 50 cents and a shop is offering the cans at such a price, then why should a Hitler-style government stop them?
    TL/DR
    what is the cheapest slab now?

There's wines for €4 in ALDI and LIDL ...
    ALDI one I'd only use for cooking with.
    I wouldn't even use the LIDL ones for cooking with.

Back in 2013 the €4 ALDI Baron St Jean red was actually nice chilled, was still produced in France back then.
    Then the government jacked up the wine duty - obviously they singled out wine cos we don't produce any. Blatant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

TL/DR
    what is the cheapest slab now?

Got 48 cans of Guinness for 40 eurons in Dunnes recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭wonga77

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    They singled out wine because the miserable fcukers knew that wine drinking was on the up as more and more chose to stay at home instead of heading to the pub

wonga77 wrote: »
    They singled out wine because the miserable fcukers knew that wine drinking was on the up as more and more chose to stay at home instead of heading to the pub

Somebody had to bail out the bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What brand of 5% lager are you getting for €1/500mL or less? and where?

4%, 4.3% if you're lucky, then yes, when sold below cost but these are exceptional offers and the supermarkets will make it back elsewhere.

Even Lidl/Aldi wines aren't normally €5.

We're just getting ripped off less than we used to. Also supermarkets weren't allowed discount alcohol back then.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

What brand of 5% lager are you getting for €1/500mL or less? and where?

4%, 4.3% if you're lucky, then yes, when sold below cost but these are exceptional offers and the supermarkets will make it back elsewhere.
    They're not sold below cost in most cases.

Even Lidl/Aldi wines aren't normally €5.
    They start at €4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Leroy42 wrote: »

You need to reassess your perspectives.

People do get a say. Firstly in terms of telling their local TDs. Then there is an election coming. Thirdly, boycott. Both off licence and pubs if this is every passed.

We each have far more power than we think, but we need to have the desire to use it.
    Seriously - read that again with a straight face.
    I get your anti-alcohol, but really? "We have a say"?
    I could put a few things into perspective (Children's hospital for one) - but this is a thread about MUP - so why don't you "reassess your perspectives".
    I haven't read such a condescending comment in quite a while.

• Advertisement

They start at €4.

Lidl in Germany they start at 1.

Advertisement