Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Got a turbo replaced under warranty on my 181 golf 1.0tsi dsg. Finally the engine doesn’t sound like a diesel when cold and no more annoying rattle under boost. Went to complain about rattling suspension and ask the mechanic about engine noise - I’ll get you a new turbo was the reply. Apparently the rattles from suspension were the brake callipers. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Got a turbo replaced under warranty on my 181 golf 1.0tsi dsg. Finally the engine doesn’t sound like a diesel when cold and no more annoying rattle under boost. Went to complain about rattling suspension and ask the mechanic about engine noise - I’ll get you a new turbo was the reply. Apparently the rattles from suspension were the brake callipers. Weird.

I got mine replaced last year, it was driving me mad. I was back and forth 3 times with 2 garages who said they couldn't find anything. They even showed me a similar mileage one making the same rattle saying it's the high pressure fuel pump and "it's a 3 cylinder it's how they sound". I think someone on Boards was also saying that's how they sound. Despite me having driven 10,000km on it without any rattle previously, something was obviously wrong. You can't hear the engine idle over the sound of the air con and the radio off.

Happy motoring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

sky18 wrote: »
    I had my car serviced the other day. Bag in the coolant tank burst 30000kms. New tank and coolant flushed under warranty.

What model?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sky18

What model?

1 litre petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

What model?

It's common across all the VAG range. I removed mine shortly after getting the car, but lately the car has developed a problem with my climate control only blowing warm air on the passenger side vents. My mechanic has diagnosed that its a HVAC door blend actuator which is gone. The part is €99 in the dealers so not too bad, just haven't got around to getting it done yet. There's a bit of ripping involved to get at it I imagine.

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2015_Golf/HVAC-Blend-Door-Actuator/65137744/5Q0898511A.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is there any mk 7.5 R estates in the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Is there any mk 7.5 R estates in the country?

There was a White one on Donedeal for ages, Uk import. 152

Edit sorry just noticed the 7.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I'm just curious has anyone else on here gone stage 3 on a MK7 Golf R yet? I'm considering going stage 3 and not sure what turbo to pick up.
    I've heard a few good things about the littco turbo but not sure if their are any other better options.
    If anyone else has gone with the upgrade what parts did you choose and would you recommend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

deceit wrote: »
    I'm just curious has anyone else on here gone stage 3 on a MK7 Golf R yet? I'm considering going stage 3 and not sure what turbo to pick up.
    I've heard a few good things about the littco turbo but not sure if their are any other better options.
    If anyone else has gone with the upgrade what parts did you choose and would you recommend them?

What stage are you at now ?

tossy wrote: »
    What stage are you at now ?
    I'm stage 1 atm. I was just in with a Revo dealer today getting a full service a health check and to schedule a down pipe and intercooler to be fitted at the end of the month, Revo stage 2 will be added with this. I'm tempted to use Revo stage 3 as it has a hardware device to change the tune when required and ignore the apr license I already have.
    Below are the mods so far:
    Apr Stage 1 and 3 tunes attached to the car (stage 1 active at the moment)
    Apr Short Shift kit
    ECS Tuning Trans linkage bushings
    ECS Bleeder Block (Not fitted yet, will fit it when I get a chance)
    Racingline R600 Intake
    Racingline hose relocation (Not fitted yet, will fit it when I get a chance)
    Racingline Washer bottle relocation
    Racingline Silicone inlet Hose
    Racingline turbo elbow
    Revo turbo muffler delete
    Revo Boost pipes
    Revo Engine mounts (I haven't added the dogbone mount as I already have a forge one fitted)
    Upgrate Sach Clutch
    GFB Diverter valve
    RS7 Spark plugs

I was thinking other than the downpipe/intercooler which I'm getting this month, I should get a racingline catchcan and a racingline oilcooler for if I do long drives on motorways.
    I'm not sure if I need new fuel pumps also or if I can just tune less power and skip the pumps for now.

• Advertisement

Thats a good set up stage 1 car, i think if you went stage 2 you might find it a good middle ground. I am Revo stage 2 in a DSG car and to be honest for daily driving it's ridiculous enough as is. It was a stage 3 car briefly but didn't make the numbers claimed on Irish fuel. That's something you'll have to bare in mind, you'll need to use a bottle of fuel additive, one bottle should get you two tanks.

I've used NF on occasion and switched to a higher revo map which is even more bonkers but like i said for day to day driving i leave it on the lower revo map.

I know someone with a stage 3 manual car and they are at the limits of the clutch also, launches are a no no.

I think stage 2 with the downpipes and cooler you'll find it a capable car. I don't have any catch can or oil cooler and i find that the oil never gets above 100/101 degrees no matter how hard i try or how hot a day it is, it also doesn't use a drop of oil, is yours using oil ?

I live in Germany so I don't have to deal with Irish fuel mostly (I've 4 bottles of octane booster in the boot for when I come back over). 500 feet as the crow flys from my home is a petrol station with 102 octane fuel.
    I brought it to Ireland for a few days, a month or so ago and once the fuel ran out and I topped it up locally it ran awful on Irish fuel. So much so I presumed my car was broken and brought it to a garage :pac:, luckily they copped it (Revo dealer in port laoise)
    My tune is a 98octane high torque tune.
    Mine doesn't use any oil either. Outside of oil changes I've never had do anything with oil (bar checks of course).
    I heard with stage 3 high boost an oil cooler would help. Not needed for day to day driving.
    I'm getting the car built with only parts that pass TUV inspection so I can be fully insured.
    With going to the expense of having it engineer checked for TUV inspection I figured I might as well go all out and have it stage 3. The only thing is if I go stage 3 the engineer inspecting may require me to get bigger brakes to pass and I'm not sure if any uprated brakes are TUV certified.
    I never launch the car so that wont be an issue for me. ECS tuning have a twin plate clutch I might upgrade to in the future if I change my mind on the hard launches.
    Thats a good set up stage 1 car, i think if you went stage 2 you might find it a good middle ground. I am Revo stage 2 in a DSG car and to be honest for daily driving it's ridiculous enough as is. It was a stage 3 car briefly but didn't make the numbers claimed on Irish fuel. That's something you'll have to bare in mind, you'll need to use a bottle of fuel additive, one bottle should get you two tanks.

I've used NF on occasion and switched to a higher revo map which is even more bonkers but like i said for day to day driving i leave it on the lower revo map.

I know someone with a stage 3 manual car and they are at the limits of the clutch also, launches are a no no.

I think stage 2 with the downpipes and cooler you'll find it a capable car. I don't have any catch can or oil cooler and i find that the oil never gets above 100/101 degrees no matter how hard i try or how hot a day it is, it also doesn't use a drop of oil, is yours using oil ?

Yeah fuel isn't a concern for you anyway lol (not jealous)

Surely there must be plenty of big brake kits that are TUV approved no ? Even upgrading to an RS3/TTRs set up would be enough.

Yeah fuel isn't a concern for you anyway lol (not jealous)

Surely there must be plenty of big brake kits that are TUV approved no ? Even upgrading to an RS3/TTRs set up would be enough.
    They wouldn't be specifically approved for the Golf I believe. I have to do more research on it. My German is atrocious and I can't be telling the missus I'm spending money so I can't ask her for help :D

They wouldn't be specifically approved for the Golf I believe. I have to do more research on it. My German is atrocious and I can't be telling the missus I'm spending money so I can't ask her for help :D

Lol.where in Germany are you anyway?

Lol.where in Germany are you anyway?
    About a 20 minute drive northwest of hamburg.

About a 20 minute drive northwest of hamburg.

Cool not a part of Germany I’d know that well. Any issues driving an Irish car over there ? Is it still on Irish plates ?

Cool not a part of Germany I’d know that well. Any issues driving an Irish car over there ? Is it still on Irish plates ?
    I changed it onto German plates to make it easier to insure with mods.
    I had it on Irish plates with no issues. I just had to keep informing the insurance company I was still in Germany every month and pay a 30 euro fee each month, other than that it was fine.
    The only reason I switched it over was to add mods legally.

Anyone have issues with their rear wiper? Mine is prone to skipping across the glass. Even after washing the car and wiping the blade it still happens. Very annoying.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone have issues with their rear wiper? Mine is prone to skipping across the glass. Even after washing the car and wiping the blade it still happens. Very annoying.

New wiper blade time.

• Advertisement

New wiper blade time.

I've read mixed reports on forums of the glass is contaminated, OEM wipers are crap or the wiper itself is fecked.

I'll be giving the car a thorough clean inside and out as this will be the last good clean for the Winter so I'll clay the rear window and see how I get on. If it persists I'll get a replacement.

For the sake of €15/20 or what ever it is you are better off changing it. I got Valeo blades last time and have had no issue with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

It is the blade. They aren't the most high quality item to begin with and they have a real tendency to hold water and dirt so after as little as 12 months the blade does be rock solid and starting to perish.

Good news is a new blade from a dealer is €9 and takes 5 seconds to fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

I've had a mk7 and mk7.5 both needed wipers replaced within a few months. Interestingly had the 7.5 serviced and the wipes started acting up again. Discovered it was wax/polish on the windscreen what was causing it.

Didn't realise it would be so cheap, at that price it isn't even worth trying to fix. Have to say VW's prices are pretty fair for wipers.

On my NCT Farce - Got a phone call from the NCT this morning, after an investigation by the regional manager they've offered me a full refund of both the original test and re rest fees so happy with that outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone experience of seats, starting to find the normal mk7.5 a bit sore could be the way I jump in or else there a little thin...but definitely feeling it in my upper left back, would the suede or leather be any wider, might swap out the seats if they were...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

Anyone experience of seats, starting to find the normal mk7.5 a bit sore could be the way I jump in or else there a little thin...but definitely feeling it in my upper left back, would the suede or leather be any wider, might swap out the seats if they were...
    If your having trouble with the mk7.5 standard seats try get a second hand set of Golf R suede seats. I've done a 30 hour drive in my car and had zero issues in it. I've never had seats as comfortable as them for long journeys.
    You could get them for a few hundred euro I'd say.

• Advertisement

Are they not all the same seats across the GTi/GTD/R range just with different coverings? With the exception of the recaro wingback seats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement