Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

https://youtu.be/vc8KbxKl8DY

Autogefuhl

50 minute review of the new mark 8 Golf ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Has a new car ever been released where people instantly loved its design over the current model, and I don't just mean in the Golf? Every time a new model is released it seems to get a lot of criticism. Same happened when BMW released the E90 design, and then the f30. Pictures of the latest 3 series were met again on forums with people not liking it, and saying it's a step back. Then once they hit the show rooms and a few are on the road people warm more to the idea. I would imagine the new GTi and R will be the same and look the business in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

True but sometimes it is instant. Mk7 was love at first sight for me.
    Loved E60 5 series and the current rs4 from day one.

Mk8 looks fine but no more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭carsfan2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8LPgonuJ98

the current R does pretty well in this drag race.
    I know I'm a BMW fan boy now but the m135I doesn't look too bad to me and the interior is pretty nice. I always prefer the driving position on BMW too. I always felt I was sitting too high in the gti even with the seat on its lowest setting where as you sit into the BMW more.

The new R does have a whiff of the new Corolla in the picture but the production model will probably look better hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Wailin wrote: »
    Slightly off topic about the new Golf lads but the right place to ask I think!

Missus left her credit card on the slidey cup cover thing and forgot about. She pulled back the cover and the credit card disappeared through the minuscule gap at the back. I only had a brief look tonight and didn't do anything since it's dark. Is it possible to get access to this and remove the trim around the area?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49134285658_ff83d5cefa_c.jpg

If you sit in the back seats the trim that surrounds the rear air vents just pulls off. It takes a little brute force and ignorance but it should just come away. You'll find the card in there. You'd also be surprised how often that happens to people.

This video is for removing the entire console which isn't too tricky in itself but you really only need to do the bit from 25 to 35 seconds.

https://youtu.be/_bzITZQWhH0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

Thanks for that TFB, very helpful info. I'll give it a go later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

noelf wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/vc8KbxKl8DY

Autogefuhl

50 minute review of the new mark 8 Golf ..

Great review...think i'll be keeping my MK 7.5 for a while yet! The front looks terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I did exactly the same thing a few years ago, but it was just a carpark swipe card rather than a credit card. I just left it in there! Probably easier to cancel the credit card and get a replacement tbh.

As for the MK8 - its not doing much for me either tbh but I'll reserve judgement till I see the performance cars in the metal. As vintageVRS said, this happens for every all new model. I remember when the MK5 first appeared it was universally disliked among the VW nuts.... the blobby rear end, the half painted back bumper, the perceived drop from the MK4 in interior touchy feely plastics ... it went on to be the most sought after GTI in decades...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Wailin

carsfan2 wrote: »

I know I'm a BMW fan boy now but the m135I doesn't look too bad to me and the interior is pretty nice. I always prefer the driving position on BMW too. I always felt I was sitting too high in the gti even with the seat on its lowest setting where as you sit into the BMW more.

The new R does have a whiff of the new Corolla in the picture but the production model will probably look better hopefully.

Very little between them really when it comes down to it. I would have thought the golf to be the lightest of the four cars though so was surprised it was marginally the slowest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't think the MK8 looks too bad, the Style model looks grand. I don't mind the front bumper, rear lights are ok just not fond of the back on the back with Golf written under it.

The inside is just ok, not a fan of the digital dash into infotainment layout. I think the infotainment would look better sitting on its own on the dash, the dash is too minimalist/modern looking.

It seems like they're trying to copy the BMW/Mercedes interior styling, maybe that's just me.

I think the Mk7.5 is perfect with styling and features. Getting rid of the bonnet strut or having the passenger heated seat button on the screen beside the driver isn't the little details that make the Golf a Golf. Nitpicking I know but it's the little details.

I think the mild hybrid will be a good addition to the DSG models, Autogefühl were quite critical of fuel consumption on the current Golf so it seems to be beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 sky18

I like the r-line. I think it needs the extra styling on the front bumper also the seats are nicer in the r-line the head rest is part of the seat. I'll have a look at the 1.5 dsg when it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Mk8 R revealed in this video
    https://youtu.be/4NDtwhWXWKo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I like the R logo

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Mk8 R revealed in this video
    https://youtu.be/4NDtwhWXWKo

I hope that's only an artists impression. Not very special looking at all.
    However as has been said here it will probably look good when the production version is shown. The GTI is more attractive in my view in mark 7 version and maybe it will be the same in mark 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I hope that's only an artists impression. Not very special looking at all.
    However as has been said here it will probably look good when the production version is shown. The GTI is more attractive in my view in mark 7 version and maybe it will be the same in mark 8?

Yea the Mk7.5 R isn't special looking either, so this isn't much of a step back, however the new GTI looks like a run of the mill econobox, much worse than the Mk7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Killinator

Can't warm to the headlights or grill on the Mk8.

Almost look like they're squinting, which isn't help by the bit like an eyelash running from the back of the headlight.
    Don't seem to fit the shape of the rest of the car.

That said I didn't like the Mk5 when it was released thinking it was an abomination compared to the Mk5 but ended up buying two hot Mk5s so I'll go from the angle that it will be a grower in time and in the flesh.

Not a fan of the R badge, not so much the design itself but this will be what, the 3rd different R style badge in 4 generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Dodgy editing or what I don’t know but at around 3.40ish on the R is pulling on the merc but finishes behind it.

I thought Matt asked did the golf finish ahead of the Merc? He thought it did but it appeared not. I doubt they’re fiddling anyway!

I watched the video review of the mark 8. I like the interior myself. Seems a nice step up in quality and technology looks good and well integrated. Harman Kardon sound system for the first time too.
    I bet a gti with a bit of spec will be north of 50k by the time we get them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VW seem to be going the way of Tesla around building and specing the new Golf. From reading it seems nearly all cars come with most equipment levels as standard but the level of features enabled is dependent on the model trim and extras the customer pays for. The one thing I found interesting is that if the original owner doesn't pay for a particular feature from day one then subsequent owners can still pay VW to enable that feature if they want it when they buy the car second hand at a later stage. They seem to be taking a software licensed approach to specing cars similar to what the IT industry has been using for years. I'd say this is the way forward for the motor industry now that WLTP is here. It makes total sense though, build every car with the same features and just enable/disable features depending on individual markets and customer's requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

We'll be paying subscriptions to use the features soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

bazz26 wrote: »
    VW seem to be going the way of Tesla around building and specing the new Golf. From reading it seems nearly all cars come with most equipment levels as standard but the level of features enabled is dependent on the model trim and extras the customer pays for. The one thing I found interesting is that if the original owner doesn't pay for a particular feature from day one then subsequent owners can still pay VW to enable that feature if they want it when they buy the car second hand at a later stage. They seem to be taking a software licensed approach to specing cars similar to what the IT industry has been using for years. I'd say this is the way forward for the motor industry now that WLTP is here. It makes total sense though, build every car with the same features and just enable/disable features depending on individual markets and customer's requirements.

Yeah, it is a big change in approach to say the least. Take something like Dynamic light assist which they are suggesting will be a simple thing to enable from now on. You can't just enable that in a MK7 Golf with a laptop! Loads of the hardware is completely different - the headlamp units are entirely different parts, the loom, the mirror housings, etc! It would cost you thousands.... cheaper to trade the car for one that has it!

So it sounds like they're streamlining this to a huge degree, whereby most of the hardware will be common across all models and its just software tweaking. Which I imagine is a huge saving for them in production costs also.

Audi and BMW have been doing this to some extent for a while, certainly with the Nav and infotainment systems, where you can choose to enable them or not.

It will certainly become harder to do any sort of after market coding yourself going forward but like everything there is always a way round it.

I'd say they definitely have a few things fitted as standard across the board to streamline the assembly line. Entry level car won't have navigation but I'd say there's a GPS chip in there, I'd imagine the likes of high beam assist, auto lights/wipers or even sign recognition would be present.

Is ACC standard on all trims now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Be handy getting a sunroof enabled if they are scarce 2nd hand, same with leather I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Be handy getting a sunroof enabled if they are scarce 2nd hand, same with leather I suppose.

Agreed - the option to code in or out the rear doors would be nice too.

No 3 door Mk8 anyway.

Anyone using strut bars or the chassis bar that clips to the back seat mounts? Seems like a handy mod that can be pulled off if necessary, are they any use? Curious if any bolt on stuff is worth a look or would the stock suspension offset any benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Lads, due to potential work relocation I may be shifting my GTI. So if anyone is interested in a low mile tastefully modded (non-ECU) and pampered 5-door manual GTI-P, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

• Advertisement

Who in their right mind would buy that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement