Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

For anyone thinking of going stage 1 tune on a Golf 7 R. (The below info may help you choosing)
    I've purchased a Revo stage 1 today just to see how it compares to Apr stage 1 I had on the car before I decide what to go stage 2 and beyond with.
    The Revo seems to feel more responsive and want to go below 100k but was still slower, after 100 up to 250 it is noticeably slower against the Apr tune. (Both in 98+ octane fuel). On 98+ fuel the Apr tune pulled a tiny bit of time compared to 0 on the Apr (Revo tuner said what the Apr tune pulled was no problem as it was so small but I expect it is a lot worse on Irish fuel and it felt so when I had it over).

I went Revo for the switchable tune for when I'm in Ireland as the Apr tune ran like a dog in Ireland.
    With Apr, I kept loosing my tune when I disconnected the battery and it would go into 95 octane low torque mode until I went to APR to get it added again. With the Revo I'm hoping this doesn't happen but if it does I purchased an adapter that arrived while I was at the Revo dealer today, this will allow me change it back myself.
    If all goes well in the early new year I will will push stage 2 then 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If you got the APR tune for 95ron and under might have saved you a lot.

If you got the APR tune for 95ron and under might have saved you a lot.
    For me that would be a waste as where I live I've 102 fuel (Live in Hamburg 102 fuel, visit Ireland 95 Fuel). Having a switchable map is a lot better for me hence why I had took the chance to switch. If I don't like the tune I can always switch back and its only a few hundred euro so it wouldn't be the end of the world for the experiment.
    I just figured someone else might benefit from the information and no have to do the experimenting if choosing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭what the hell!

0% on the Cupras at the moment. Would anyone have any idea if 450p/m is a good deal for a new one? With my settlement from my PCP on my 152 FR it's coming out at 36981 euro with a sunroof, metallic paint and wireless charger. I'd be throwing in 5000 euro cash too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

You need to look at more than the monthly to know if it's a good deal or not...

What's the GMFV they're putting on it? From your figures it looks like about 15,800ish? Doesn't seem terrible, but I honestly don't know what kind of money a 3 year old Cupra makes.

It doesn't sound like terrible money but I would say a bit closer to 400pm on a 0% would be the snap it up kind of deal in my opinion, but the Cupra's have crepy up in price in recent times as well haven't they? They're no longer sub 40k bargains they were.

Edit: I just configured one on the website, with everything useful: Adaptive cruise, parking sensors front and rear, rear camera, SEAT navigation system plus, winter pack and the CUPRA bucket seats, total cost €46,308. With the full 30% deposit that comes out as €462.37 per month. That's a deposit of 13,892.41 EUR and a GMFV of €15,770.

So, work out what your overall deposit contribution is, then think about things like delivery etc... and figure out if your €450pm is a good figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

How much are they giving you for the 152 FR and what kind of equity is that leaving you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

That doesn't seem particularly great to me. What kind of equity have you in your current car?

When I went to price a new manual GTI Performance, it came out at €420 p/m, costing about €43,500. That was with €5k put in from me, my trade in at just under €14k. That was with 1.9% on PCP too.

Anyone went for the Revo performance pack, any thoughts on it..seems like it would give an R something to worry about from a rolling start...

https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/performance-pack/mqb-20tsi-is20-performance-pack

Seems expensive for what you get. Intake, Intercooler, Hoses and a Map. €2369. If it's an all-in price including fitting then it's not so bad i guess, as the intercooler is a job.

Fitting is separate. Will transform the car though, add an IS38 turbo and you can go for 350+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Me with Stage 1 Revo Map last Friday....

giphy.gif

Wow... this things gonna get me in trouble....

Thank you Mr Dalton! The pull from 3000 Revs to the red line is phenomenal. Transformed the car. Hard to believe a software tune can be so effective.

Definitely needed the brake upgrade :) These are the GTI Clubsport S drilled disks for the front. With new Brembo pads. Yes Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Muppet Man wrote: »
    giphy.gif

Keep your head inside the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Hey, anyone put a DTUK Tuning box on their MK7 GTi?

If so how has it worked out for you, if not then why did you remove it or go for another solution? (apart from a full remap).

Tenzor07 wrote: »

If so how has it worked out for you, if not then why did you remove it or go for another solution? (apart from a full remap).

Was thinking of it they weren't solid on 95ron figures but said you can upload the map and they'll tweak it for your car.
    The monutune seems to be suitable for 95 and can't see any details on Racechips and 95..then there's the superchip and JB4

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭what the hell!

hooch-85 wrote: »
    How much are they giving you for the 152 FR and what kind of equity is that leaving you with?

I think they were giving me around the 14500 for my FR. And there's around 7200 left on the FR PCP. I should get the proper figures off him-only dealing over text with the usual guy. If I could get a GTI for around the 420 p/m mark that would be a very good deal too.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I know a guy that had one on his GTi, he wouldn't recommend, spikey tunes and not very linear. A proper remap would be a much better way to go.

I know a guy that had one on his GTi, he wouldn't recommend, spikey tunes and not very linear. A proper remap would be a much better way to go.

Did he get them to tweak it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I've heard about this box not being very kind to the Diesel 184 VW engines on Leon's, GTD's and vRS, so wonder if it's the same for the TSI engine...

Did he get them to tweak it?

This was around 5 years ago, i doubt he got them to tweak it.

Any worthwhile mods before first tune on a GTI, Air Intake, Turbo inlet pipe, downpipe?
    Still have to tell Santa what I want for Xmas.

• Advertisement

Intake, Hosing, turbo elbow, muffler delete. That should run you around 7-800 quid for decent parts. Catback for sound if that's your thing too, as the GTI is (too) quiet as standard.

Downpipe is only needed if going stage 2 (or more)

I was thinking the intake and turbo inlet (racingline r600 intake and r600turbo inlet pipe or is there as cheaper option that gives the same thing?) , not really concerned about sound the more under the radar the better. Probably not a huge gain over a tune anyway, is it worth bothering or maybe just go direct to stage 2 with a downpipe?

If it were me, i'd get the stage 1 tune as it is, it makes a massive difference to them. Enjoy that and if you feel the need for more go stage 2.

If it were me, i'd get the stage 1 tune as it is, it makes a massive difference to them. Enjoy that and if you feel the need for more go stage 2.

Test driving an R has me ruined I prefer the GTI though it just feels more refined...probably should be thinking of snow tyres in this weather though...

Revo do a lovely Carbon fibre intake, i have the gloss one but the do an even nicer Matt carbon one now that i'd love.

Test driving an R has me ruined I prefer the GTI though it just feels more refined...probably should be thinking of snow tyres in this weather though...
    I've a set of Michelin Crossclimite + for the winter, they are very good on snow/ice.

I was thinking the intake and turbo inlet (racingline r600 intake and r600turbo inlet pipe or is there as cheaper option that gives the same thing?) , not really concerned about sound the more under the radar the better. Probably not a huge gain over a tune anyway, is it worth bothering or maybe just go direct to stage 2 with a downpipe?
    I went with Racingline kit as it was the most stock looking and it helped that it was the only one that had TUV certification (tested to a high standard).

deceit wrote: »
    I went with Racingline kit as it was the most stock looking and it helped that it was the only one that had TUV certification (tested to a high standard).

Anywhere in Ireland that sells them?

Anywhere in Ireland that sells them?

Daltons sell both Revo and VWR.

• Advertisement

Dalton's supplied and fitted my VWR springs. Very efficient service and a quick turn around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement