Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega Mk7 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

dar83 wrote: »
    One owner (me)
    2015 GTI-P Manual
    29,295km
    Taxed to Sept 2020
    NCT to Sept 2021

(Not yet fitted) MIB2 Retrofit kit (inc. 8” bezel & USB)
    (New in box) SRS-Tec spoiler extension
    OEM Golf R Gloss Black Mirror Caps
    (New unused) OEM Mud flaps
    Milltek de-resonated catback exhaust (GT101 tips)
    Genuine 19” BBS CH-R Satin Grey
    Racingline R600
    Racingline Black silicon intake pipe
    Racingline Turbo Elbow
    OEM Clubsport rear diffuser
    (New unused) Monsoon Stormforce Mk7 GTI fitted Car cover
    (Flush kit for Austins) Forge Spacers set 10/15 w/bolts & McGard
    Racingline sport springs
    Clifford alarm
    I'm curious why did you go with the MIB2 retrofit? Would it not be easier and a similar price to upgrade to something like an alpine headunit?
    Edit:
    https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/headunits-for-volkswagen/i902d-g7r
    https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/headunits-for-volkswagen/x903d-g7r

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Oh Lord not again, didn't we already agree you've to take off 7k for the halogens.

It has the xenons and about 6 grand worth of mods, is a year and a half newer and has lower mileage. If the other car sold quickly at 19, you can easily see where I'm getting to the 25k figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hooch-85 wrote: »
    It has the xenons and about 6 grand worth of mods, is a year and a half newer and has lower mileage. If the other car sold quickly at 19, you can easily see where I'm getting to the 25k figure.

First of all, that GTI is really nice. It will definitely find itself a buyer.
    Second... I don't want to be an asshole, but if I learned one thing from being a boyracer in 20s, that mods you spent thousands on add **** all value to your car. Just because there is 6k worth on it, it is not 6k more expensive car.
    That is a very low millage, looked after by enthusiast GTI. Now that will give it rightfully more value.
    I would not even speculate price for it, because GTI prices are all over the place right now.

I understand your point about mods, but to an enthusiast everything done to this car is tastefully done and if you were intending on modding one anyway this is the way to go.

I was only stating my opinion so i'll say no more.

@OP good luck with the sale, I for one would love to be in a position to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I understand your point about mods, but to an enthusiast everything done to this car is tastefully done and if you were intending on modding one anyway this is the way to go.

I was only stating my opinion so i'll say no more.

@OP good luck with the sale, I for one would love to be in a position to buy it.

Tasteful or not, mods add feck all value to the price of a car compared to the price of the mods in the first place.

• Advertisement

Maybe he's better off returning it back to stock and selling the parts separately then, I know most of those parts would be sold in no time on the autostadt forum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Maybe he's better off returning it back to stock and selling the parts separately then, I know most of those parts would be sold in no time on the autostadt forum

Yes he undoubtedly is. Mods are a very personal thing and for the most part, they hinder a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I know it may be completely untrue but mods make some people think that the owner may be an ”enthusiastic” driver and that they can be hard on the car. Also some people prefer totally stock cars. I think modding reduces your buyer pool overall. I’d guess would make more returning car to stock and selling the bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

carsfan2 wrote: »
    I know it may be completely untrue but mods make some people think that the owner may be an ”enthusiastic” driver and that they can be hard on the car. Also some people prefer totally stock cars. I think modding reduces your buyer pool overall. I’d guess would make more returning car to stock and selling the bits.

Yea modding cars vs buying modded cars is like when you've got a new Mrs, you'd rather think you're the first person to do the stuff you're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

carsfan2 wrote: »

I think it definitely reduces the buyer pool, i know this from selling heavily modded cars and buying them. Things like wheels etc are very subjective , i tried an 8L S3 with BBS CK's one of the best looking wheels ever IMO but the message i got back from almost every potential buyer was they wanted the original wheels, i guess it's as it makes the car immediately identifiable as an S3, i guess this is why reps of GTI,R,Rs etc wheels are so popular.

What good mods and a good ad do is separate your car from the pile to an enthusiastic buyer, there's nothing wrong with someone being very hard on a car if they look after it - wouldn't frighten me at all. You know from an Ad if someone is for example putting PS4's of F1s on a car they are not scrimping on maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I definitely see the appeal of buying a modded GTI but you're not going to please everyone, car modding can be quite personal. It could check all the boxes for someone and they'd still change something on it.

The people who want to mod themselves won't be looking at this car so it's not an issue.

It's tastefully modded with mods people would do themselves. It hasn't got some gaudy bodykit on it or tacky wheels and it's not deep in the rabbit hole Stage 3+ or whatever the kids call it these days.

You wouldn't be keeping every receipt and expect to get every cent back but it definitely adds some value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

Nice car but would any 5 year old Golf GTI be worth 25k? Genuine question as I’d seriously consider a new one in the future if they hold their value that well.

Also would a Golf R not be worth more all day long as despite the mods the R would have that traction and likely still have more power or would a car like this simply appeal to a different type of buyer?

deceit wrote: »
    I'm curious why did you go with the MIB2 retrofit? Would it not be easier and a similar price to upgrade to something like an alpine headunit?
    Edit:
    https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/headunits-for-volkswagen/i902d-g7r
    https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/headunits-for-volkswagen/x903d-g7r

Personally I’d prefer to have the oem system in the car anyway. They just look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

I know dealers are looking for 25k but I think there is a market for a tastefully done, OEM+ car like that. And done as well as it is (how many original BBS wheeled ones are doing the rounds) I think a small premium is justified.

Returned to standard it would need to be a few grand cheaper to compete but if you had an interest in those mods the premium for them on that car is very reasonable. Hell you could flog some of them on and he left with a very affordable, low mile, looked after GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭maddness

Yea modding cars vs buying modded cars is like when you've got a new Mrs, you'd rather think you're the first person to do the stuff you're doing.

Best post I’ve read in ages!

I know dealers are looking for 25k but I think there is a market for a tastefully done, OEM+ car like that. And done as well as it is (how many original BBS wheeled ones are doing the rounds) I think a small premium is jutified.

I agree wholeheartedly.

A heads up to R owners ....Had the R in for it's first NCT on monday it failed on emmissions.... I seen the guy testing it moving the probe from one side of the other but obviously both times he put it in the closed (valved) exhaust! I said it to him when he told me it failed and i instantly knew by his reaction that he had messed up but he doubled down and just said No that he test both sides, yeah the closed pipe on both sides!

IMG-5149.jpg

So.... just to make sure

IMG-5198.jpg

Back in today - passed straight away - more clued in tester - i seen him checking with his hand which tail pipe was 'live'

Now to try get 28e back from them......

lol. Ineptitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

JoeA3 wrote: »
    lol. Ineptitude.

Total ars@holes ..... I despise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Killinator

Sorry confused here.
    Did he put it in an exhaust which had the flap closed and it failed on emission?

If the flap was closed should there not have been no emissions or is that why it failed.

Excuse my ignorance

Killinator wrote: »
    Sorry confused here.
    Did he put it in an exhaust which had the flap closed and it failed on emission?

If the flap was closed should there not have been no emissions or is that why it failed.

Excuse my ignorance

Yeah exactly. Flapped closed but obviously some fumes leak through so the reading looks like it had an exhaust leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I have a 181 Golf so Mk 7.5. Has an annoying issue basically the door at the fuel cap sticks when you go to open or close it. I though initially it was the mechanism but I checked that with the door open and it seems fine. Possibly the door is rubbing somewhere yet when closed the gap looks ok and even. Just wondering has anyone had this issue or is it a common fault with the MK 7.5 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

CIP4 wrote: »
    I have a 181 Golf so Mk 7.5. Has an annoying issue basically the door at the fuel cap sticks when you go to open or close it. I though initially it was the mechanism but I checked that with the door open and it seems fine. Possibly the door is rubbing somewhere yet when closed the gap looks ok and even. Just wondering has anyone had this issue or is it a common fault with the MK 7.5 ?

It’s a common and easy fix (Any Vw garage worth their salt should do it FOC) there’s a piece of plastic they just pear off with a knife. It solves it.

Seen below

https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk7/sticking-fuel-filler-cover/index.php

L-M wrote: »
    It’s a common and easy fix (Any Vw garage worth their salt should do it FOC) there’s a piece of plastic they just pear off with a knife. It solves it.

Seen below

https://www.stuartdalby.co.uk/vwgolfmk7/sticking-fuel-filler-cover/index.php

Thanks looks fairly straight forward to do good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sky18

I had my car serviced the other day. Bag in the coolant tank burst 30000kms. New tank and coolant flushed under warranty.

Yeah it’s common. A small squirt of lithium grease or similar lubricant on the locking tab also fixes it in my experience.

Or just trade it in....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Had it on my mk 5 gti... you would think they would learn. Vw fixed under warranty.

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yeah it’s common. A small squirt of lithium grease or similar lubricant on the locking tab also fixes it in my experience.

Or just trade it in....

Yes sure I’ll see if there is some lithium grease out on the shed I will use that otherwise I might just trade it not worth the hassle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement