Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Kepler21 wrote: »
    That's my reading of it as well. They've said explicitly that Mindfield will move into the B&S area, and that Fishtown will be in the Freetown/old Oscar Wilde area. The rest is "Look at this other great stuff we have".

It's a good move for Minfield also. I always spend time there seeing writers, trad musicians or Hot Press interviews. None of which works with the main stage soundsystem in the background. Minefield also has nice cafes and a Stradbally food stall which will fit very nicely into the former B&S area.

It'll probably all work out well but I may also have to heed BD's advice and head to the B&S festival some year.

Random question. What's the best kid-friendly fest in the country? One with decent music so Kaleidoscope wouldn't do it for me.

EP too big for me to take my toddler. He'd love it but it'd just be absurdly exhausting.

ATN traffic, toilets, campsite confusion means that's no good for now.

B&S seems like an older crowd and becoming more electronic fixated so not quite right.

The two that appeal are Stendhal Festival (which looks great in every respect) and Doolin Folk Festival which looks pretty chilled with very decent acts. Any feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Random question. What's the best kid-friendly fest in the country? One with decent music so Kaleidoscope wouldn't do it for me.

EP too big for me to take my toddler. He'd love it but it'd just be absurdly exhausting.

B&S seems like an older crowd and becoming more electronic fixated so not quite right.

The two that appeal are Stendhal Festival (which looks great in every respect) and Doolin Folk Festival which looks pretty chilled with very decent acts. Any feedback?

I don't have a toddler anymore but...

Vantastival was very decent last year... maybe not quite the level of music you would like, but definitely suitable for kids. The Saltwater one up in Westport is close enough to you and seems to have a decent lineup next year.

I wouldn't be put off by ATN 2019, it was great and there seemed to be a good area for the kids.

B&S is very child friendly. Probably the most suitable of all tbh.

I have only every brought our one to B&S and Vantastival and she loved both although she was about 8/9 at the time. She is at the in between age now (15) so only Vantastival is possible of the ones I go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Have done Picnic with both kids since '14.

Its the gold-standard for me. Parking/ease of access/size, location, facilities (bathrooms, showers) of family camping/entry via kids field, lack of queues/cleanliness of bathrooms, general buzz and broad positivity from fellow festival goers.

ATN was a sh1tshow last year. Have done multiple Glastos but its a slog. Picnic is a gem for young families. Unpopular as they are on these forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Wooderson wrote: »
    Picnic is a gem for young families. Unpopular as they are on these forums.

Down with this sort of thing!

• Advertisement

Down with this sort of thing!

haha razor sharp Pab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭endainoz

Random question. What's the best kid-friendly fest in the country?

The Doolin folk fest is always fantastic and plenty people bring their kids, though it can get a little wild at night time! It is worth noting that while it does have great acts, there is only two stages for music and they recently started an outdoor dj thing ran by will softly.

I have never been but always hear great things about vantastaval.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭rubick

Sunflower Festival could be worth looking into, Seathrun.
    I've not been myself but it's quite a small festival in Down with a lot of Family Camping facilities, coming up to its 10th Anniversary. I know a few heads that have went for quite a few of them, heard great things.
    https://sunflowerfest.co.uk/early-bird/

I don't have a toddler anymore but...

Vantastival was very decent last year... maybe not quite the level of music you would like, but definitely suitable for kids. The Saltwater one up in Westport is close enough to you and seems to have a decent lineup next year.

I wouldn't be put off by ATN 2019, it was great and there seemed to be a good area for the kids.

B&S is very child friendly. Probably the most suitable of all tbh.

I have only every brought our one to B&S and Vantastival and she loved both although she was about 8/9 at the time. She is at the in between age now (15) so only Vantastival is possible of the ones I go to.

Excellent feedback. Had forgotten about Vantastival and had heard great feedback about it. I'll now reconsider B&S also but ATN too risky for now. If the issues on traffic aren't ironed out it'd be a disaster having a kid in the car for 8-10 hours.

Thanks again man.

Wooderson wrote: »
    Have done Picnic with both kids since '14.

Its the gold-standard for me. Parking/ease of access/size, location, facilities (bathrooms, showers) of family camping/entry via kids field, lack of queues/cleanliness of bathrooms, general buzz and broad positivity from fellow festival goers.

ATN was a sh1tshow last year. Have done multiple Glastos but its a slog. Picnic is a gem for young families. Unpopular as they are on these forums.

May have to reconsider EP. But so much good music at the Picnic that it'd kill me to miss lots. Listening to the Strokes from my tent would be traumatic.

Whereas Vantastival/Stendhal, etc I'd be happy to wander about for the vibe and go to bed early.

• Advertisement

rubick wrote: »
    I've not been myself but it's quite a small festival in Down with a lot of Family Camping facilities, coming up to its 10th Anniversary. I know a few heads that have went for quite a few of them, heard great things.

Excellent Rubick. And how cheap are these smaller fests? They must barely scrape a profit.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

It'll probably all work out well but I may also have to heed BD's advice and head to the B&S festival some year.

Apart from the declining lineup each year, it's probably the best festival in Ireland. Usually a good weather weekend (the solstice and all), chilled out punters and security, a good mix of areas (e.g. you know if you want soulful guitar stuff go to the woodlands, dance music reckless in love/absolute, indie the tent and everything else the main stage, excellent undercard, plenty non-music/drinking stuff to do and as a result its very child friendly.

They do need to get a few decent headliners this year though.

Beatyard I'd say, if they get their (edit:premises sorted). Finishes at 10/10.30, loads of kids and stuff for them to do, loads of families, as someone here said a few years back its the most chilled out congregation outside of Sunday mass. Usually a great lineup. I hope they get a place to put it on next year.
    Excellent Rubick. And how cheap are these smaller fests? They must barely scrape a profit.

Sadly, most of them don't. They can often scrape by with grants from the council and pulling in favours from friends in the industry, bands etc. But insurance, security, toilets and electricity are all prohibitive. See the boards.ie festival thread!

Ive done beatyard with kids also. Yep, can vouch that its a straightforward one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

rubick wrote: »

Organised by the same folk who do Stendhal Festival, so both these festivals would be kinda like an Northern Irish Body&Soul, would love to try them myself. Scotland is also worth taking a look at Seath, Eden Festival is modelled on the boutique Body&Soulish style, I think some of the people who used to run the Wickerman festival are involved with Eden. Eden is about 5 - 7,000 capacity

http://edenfestival.co.uk/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Organised by the same folk who do Stendhal Festival, so both these festivals would be kinda like an Northern Irish Body&Soul, would love to try them myself. Scotland is also worth taking a look at Seath, Eden Festival is modelled on the boutique Body&Soulish style, I think some of the people who used to run the Wickerman festival are involved with Eden. Eden is about 5 - 7,000 capacity

http://edenfestival.co.uk/

That looks great but getting a toddler there and back would require tranquilisers for both of us. The more local the better.

Body & Soul would be the one if the kid and mother weren't away that week. Maybe 2021.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Body & Soul would be the one if the kid and mother weren't away that week. Maybe 2021.

I guess you'll just have to go solo so!

I guess you'll just have to go solo so!

Ha ha. Glastonbury, EP and a few gigs at Galway Arts Fest is my allowance for Summer 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭Stillill42

The Frames having a 30th bash in June. If ever there was a time for them to hit Stradbally. I think it's being billed as a one off, alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Stillill42 wrote: »
    The Frames having a 30th bash in June. If ever there was a time for them to hit Stradbally. I think it's being billed as a one off, alas.

they might do the marquee actually....

Never a fan but I caught them at Damien Rice's stage at EP in 2006 and was impressed. They've done EP at least twice so must be in the running.

• Advertisement

Never a fan but I caught them at Damien Rice's stage at EP in 2006 and was impressed. They've done EP at least twice so must be in the running.

Ah, I like 'em. I was at their 25th in the Iveagh Gardens and it was great. I know Glen grinds people's gears a bit but they have so many brilliant songs. Impossible to separate the Glen from the song, I guess that's why they're a bit marmite on these shores. I think they've a back catalogue to match any Irish band.

Here's Glen advertising the gig.....

"There’s something about stepping back into the furious belly of this beast where the low bells chime around the parish, where time is swallowed and years slip by, this place where most of my hearing went in the sound of working it out from soaring angst to occasional pride into unmoored middle age. The songs grow too and change their meaning, till it all collapses together into the glorious bonfire that is The Frames…” says singer Glen Hansard on the news."

You can see where the problems arise......

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Ah, I like 'em. I was at their 25th in the Iveagh Gardens and it was great. I know Glen grinds people's gears a bit but they have so many brilliant songs. Impossible to separate the Glen from the song, I guess that's why they're a bit marmite on these shores. I think they've a back catalogue to match any Irish band.

It's being promoted by Aiken - so if any festival appearance it will be ATN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

he would drive 30,000 from the main stage, fleeing into the woods screaming banshee like whilst holding their hands to their bleeding ears as the last vestiges of taste and rhythm left their bodies.

(Sorry/not sorry, he’s got a few listenable tracks and the rest is just modem handshake wankology that his cult like fans worship with out question, he’s not the messiah, he’s just tone ****ing deaf)

Oh dear!

It's being promoted by Aiken - so if any festival appearance it will be ATN

Well goddamnit if that's true I'll have no choice. I don't believe the one off gig thing though. If this one sells well I'd say they'll surely add more.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Oh dear!

I'm a proud member of that cult since I heard set list as a teenager in 2003.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭Rfrip

endainoz wrote: »
    I'm a proud member of that cult since I heard set list as a teenager in 2003.

Same although I wasn’t a teenager! I’d be certain they will be at the marquee too especially with it being the last year of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Sorry to do this fatfrog but it's a 13k increase.... Not 23.

Whoops...70 not 80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

endainoz wrote: »
    Well goddamnit if that's true I'll have no choice. I don't believe the one off gig thing though. If this one sells well I'd say they'll surely add more.

For the 25th anniversary, they did two Iveagh Gardens and one Marquee I think. Would have expected similar this time.

I'll definitely be hoping for Cork. They were excellent there last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭the_gommes

I took my two kids (5 & 3) to Stendhal this year. We absolutely loved it & would recommend it highly. Beautiful setting, very well organised & a nice small site made it very manageable with kids. The weather was apocalyptic over that weekend which made it a real challenge to get around the site at times as the weekend went on but the efforts of the organisers to keep the show going really were unreal. There was tractor loads of fresh hay arriving to make paths through the mud all through the night.

The music is very Northern Ireland centric & there’s no massive headliners really but I seen plenty of good acts & there was loads for the kids to do throughout the days. It was our first festival as a family & the kids loved it. We’ve got a 2 month old as well now so going to limit ourselves to just a day trip to Stendhal this year but it really is a great wee festival. Cost, lack of traffic & a brilliant vibe on site all make it well worth considering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement