Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

B&S leaving is a big loss.

I'd normally defend EP/FR on their changes as they've been successful thus far. However it's hard to see any replacement for Body & Soul matching the creative brilliance that space yearly provides. Or come anywhere close. FR have, in all likelihood, sought to reduce the B&S site or pushed them to drop their fee - we'll probably know soon enough. Their less-experienced replacements will take years to match or better what's gone before, but hey let's see how they do.

Thus far FR have developed the festival pretty well. There are things to be rectified and hopefully they'll have taken on board the criticisms from this year. The increase in numbers will probably be fine. EP is still smaller than many European festivals. Let's see how 2020 goes. Our misgivings for 2019 weren't justified and let's hope it's the same again next September.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Well look, most of us on here have our hats in the ring for next year's edition anyway. Body and Soul departing makes me want to weep, as did the departure of Other Voices last year. 70,000 bodies milling around Stradbally is also a scary thought. I'm only going the last 8 or 9 years, so I wasn't about for the halycon days of the mid to late noughties. I haven't been part of the whole wailing and gnashing of teeth about the Picnic's fall from grace since those early years. All I've ever experienced is bliss, happy times and wonderful music, the odd minor quibble notwithstanding. I'm under no illusions about Melvin's pursuit of filthy lucre but I believe it's in his interest to create the best festival he can. The changes last year were underdeveloped but promising. I'd still be pretty optimistic that they'll get this right. We'll know soon enough.

Those early days had some astonishing acts. But they also had worse toilets, less impressive food stalls and far less areas/stages. The only thing that has greatly bothered me in the past decade is the increase in decibel-heavy vacuous stages (thinking of you cocktail cocktail, Elites, Just Eat, etc). Alongside them however we've got Other Voices, Hazel Wood, Jerry Fish, Trailer Park, etc, etc and more developments to come.

It's still streets ahead of any other festival in terms of what's on offer. When that isn't the case I'll stop going.

Mind and Body sounds like a rip off of B&S.

Was just on tm to get installment tickets. Tickets not available.

I had to lash out the full price for 2 tickets, just before Christmas. Ouch!

This recent announcement though has me really questioning whether this is still the festival for us. No B&S and a 27% increase in capacity. I am not really feeling it tbh. Depending on the lineup, we might move these tickets on in the future.

Surely not 27%? It was 57,500 last year and is now up to 70,000. It's still at a greater pace than I'd like but an expansion of the site will create the extra space. This year felt comfortable apart from the crowds coming through the seated areas near the main stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,680 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

rubick wrote: »
    I think EP2020 is sold out, lads.

It is alright apparently. Always surprised at how quick it sells out but shouldn't be at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

22%

It's a fair jump - hopefully they do it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

Tickets for Electric Picnic 2020 are now completely SOLD OUT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Right , so time to start figuring who’s on tour end of summer then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I can imagine some of the B&S crew migrating to work at the Mind&Body area, wouldn't be surprised anyway. I wonder if they will retain the crew camping area that was formally called B&S crew camping.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

If we got Tame Impala and Foals that would be a decent start, could they have Billie Eillish return to headline since she hasnt announced any Irish dates on her European tour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭endainoz

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Well look, most of us on here have our hats in the ring for next year's edition anyway. Body and Soul departing makes me want to weep, as did the departure of Other Voices last year. 70,000 bodies milling around Stradbally is also a scary thought. I'm only going the last 8 or 9 years, so I wasn't about for the halycon days of the mid to late noughties. I haven't been part of the whole wailing and gnashing of teeth about the Picnic's fall from grace since those early years. All I've ever experienced is bliss, happy times and wonderful music, the odd minor quibble notwithstanding. I'm under no illusions about Melvin's pursuit of filthy lucre but I believe it's in his interest to create the best festival he can. The changes last year were underdeveloped but promising. I'd still be pretty optimistic that they'll get this right. We'll know soon enough.

I'm pretty much on the same boat as yourself there, first picnic was 2010, and after a short break, have been to every one since 2013. I'm cautious of this but the usual infectious optimism of this thread has brought my mood up a bit. We all had some concerns about 2019s changes and I (and a few others here I think) had one of the best picnics I ever had! Bigger can be still great fun.

Free town is a huge area that will surely be utilized more in 2020. Would there be enough demand possibly for a bigish sized outdoor stage to accommodate somewhere between 8 to 10k people in free town? Might make a good use of all that space. I know they already have Terminus out there but still it could be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

endainoz wrote: »
    I'm pretty much on the same boat as yourself there, first picnic was 2010, and after a short break, have been to every one since 2013. I'm cautious of this but the usual infectious optimism of this thread has brought my mood up a bit. We all had some concerns about 2019s changes and I (and a few others here I think) had one of the best picnics I ever had! Bigger can be still great fun.

Free town is a huge area that will surely be utilized more in 2020. Would there be enough demand possibly for a bigish sized outdoor stage to accommodate somewhere between 8 to 10k people in free town? Might make a good use of all that space. I know they already have Terminus out there but still it could be an idea.

thats why im here! i can safely say that the Ep boards threads
    have made my EP's infinately more enjoyable, shucks, love you guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

To be honest, I thought Body and Soul was lacking something this year.

The footprint was a bit smaller with a bigger trailer park moving in on them.

The old bog cottage was missing and the Peace Pagoda was nowhere to be seen.

The new setup could end up with the exact same look and feel as before. The amphitheatre will always be there as will any of the bigger structures. I'm sure most of the tea and food tents will return and deal directly with EP rather than B&S.

With some good creative direction, moving Mindfield beside it and maybe even opening up a more direct route to The old Other Voices clearing and the track to Salty Dog/ Trenchtown/ Fishtown/ Freetown....

You never know, it might be even better.

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Am I reading this correctly? Does this mean moving them?

I think I said it here before that Greencraft and the Global Green are a bit lost over the other side of the funfair and they should move them up to the old Oscar Wlde.

If you're listening Melvin, you can buy me a pint next year. :)

From Leinster Express
    "In addition to this, Jerry Fish and his wonderful Electric Sideshow will become the centre-piece of another new area in the festival: following on from last year’s extraordinary arrival of Freetown, FishTown will be born!

"FishTown will host the extravagance and creativity of the wonderful Jerry Fish, situated adjacent to Freetown you’ll be able to lose yourselves in the delights of this brand new area. Together with Picnic favourites Trailer Park, Trenchtown and Salty Dog, as well as the ever-important Greencraft Village and Global Green Eco Village, you’ll need to save your energy to witness everything that’s on offer," they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Huge blow losing Body & Soul, as many others have said it was the hub of the festival for me and it was always somewhere to go when you didn't know where else to turn to. We won't know what effect it will have on the festival until September 2020 but hopefully they make a decent stab at replacing it. All they have to do is basically copy the template that has worked for the past 15 years and they can't go too far wrong really, but you would guess it will lost at least a bit of it's magic at a minimum.

The other changes could be taken whatever way you want them I suppose. Some ideas sound exciting, the area around FishTown and Freetown could be very good altogether as I really was impressed with Freetown last year. 70,000 people should mean more acts on the lineup and hopefully bigger acts too, but a concern there would be what does 'bigger' mean.

Depending on how the rejigged site looks, I wonder what it means for the main arena. If Jerry Fish, Body & Soul, Mindfield, Greencrafts areas are all gone or moved further out from the main arena, does that just leave things like Casa Bacardi, Heineken Sound Atlas, Logic etc to take over the main arena along with the main tents? Has there been any word on where the Trailer Park will go or will it be staying put?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

70,000 sounds a bit too much. But when you compare it to the likes of Glastonbury it doesn't sound that big at all. But would definitely expect more/bigger acts as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,441 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I've got a feeling we may see the Haunt again, I think it might crop up in the Fishtown area, as Jerry Fish is a big fan of it. I asked him on his Facebook page and he admitted that he was a big fan of the place so fingers crossed folks. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Am I reading this correctly? Does this mean moving them?

I think I said it here before that Greencraft and the Global Green are a bit lost over the other side of the funfair and they should move them up to the old Oscar Wlde.

If you're listening Melvin, you can buy me a pint next year. :)

From Leinster Express

It's not clear but I'd guess that they're not moving them. FR are trying to distract attention away from the loss of B&S by highlighting the other areas that will still be there in 2020.

I've got a feeling we may see the Haunt again, I think it might crop up in the Fishtown area, as Jerry Fish is a big fan of it. I asked him on his Facebook page and he admitted that he was a big fan of the place so fingers crossed folks. :)

Is is B&S run, or just cadged a place at the edge of their area? And I think we'll be seeing it again. Fishtown is a good shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

An 'aul Dhisco in the Haunt curated by Jerry would be class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I got my tickets in the post today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

To be honest, I thought Body and Soul was lacking something this year.

The footprint was a bit smaller with a bigger trailer park moving in on them.

The old bog cottage was missing and the Peace Pagoda was nowhere to be seen.

The new setup could end up with the exact same look and feel as before. The amphitheatre will always be there as will any of the bigger structures. I'm sure most of the tea and food tents will return and deal directly with EP rather than B&S.

With some good creative direction, moving Mindfield beside it and maybe even opening up a more direct route to The old Other Voices clearing and the track to Salty Dog/ Trenchtown/ Fishtown/ Freetown....

You never know, it might be even better.

Fingers crossed.

I thought it was just me! Despite attending year after year theres always something that catches my attention in b&s, but this year for the first time ever I just wasnt feeling it :(

The more I think about capacity, the more it scares the hell out of me!! 57K was this years capacity and I really felt it. To add 23K more is crazy! Basically 2005 festival attendance added on top of this years crowd.

To me the current layout is going to need to change drastically. I can see campervans moving across the road near the paintball entrance/where tour de picnic was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Tame Impala announced a north American tour today, finishing early Aug.....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,160 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Fatfrog wrote: »

The more I think about capacity, the more it scares the hell out of me!! 57K was this years capacity and I really felt it. To add 23K more is crazy!.

Sorry to do this fatfrog but it's a 13k increase.... Not 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Spare a thought for the local TDs and Hot Press journos that will have to venture outside the old Mindfield next year. Craythurrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    It's not clear but I'd guess that they're not moving them. FR are trying to distract attention away from the loss of B&S by highlighting the other areas that will still be there in 2020.

That's my reading of it as well. They've said explicitly that Mindfield will move into the B&S area, and that Fishtown will be in the Freetown/old Oscar Wilde area. The rest is "Look at this other great stuff we have".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

How in God's name is Trenchtown still a thing?

To dstract the Drug Squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭rubick

Was chatting to one of the Revelation Soundsystem heads at ATN, who have been at Trenchtown every year I have attended - they decided not to bother playing at EP from this year. Future not looking great for it. I've only ever dandered through it a few times over the years, or been at the main stage if there's been a bit of jungle in. Wasn't in the place last year at all.

I don't mind a bit of dub but I'm not the world's greatest reggae fan, would much prefer a dedicated drum 'n bass/jungle tent. Mike Skinner asked for one towards the end of The Streets set this year, so they'd need to get one installed for his next visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    To dstract the undercover Drug Squad?

Excelent theory ... Long live Trenchtown!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement