Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

alastair wrote: »
    Early entry tickets currently on sale.

Thanks for the heads up, early entry tickets in the bag, I was going to hold off buying, but dont know what madness is going to happen tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Spaceshanty

MJohnston wrote: »
    Electric Picnic to expand in 2020; tickets on sale Saturday
    https://nialler9.com/electric-picnic-2020/

Surely with a move to 70k the lineup with improve this year.
    I would be happy with Depeche Mode finally, Foals and Underworld as headliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 esioal

Post on the Body and Soul Facebook page this morning :

“ð€ ððšð«ð­ð§ðžð«ð¬ð¡ð¢ð© ðžð§ðð¬ ðšð¬ ðš ð႒ðžðœðšððž ð႒ð«ðšð°ð¬ ð“ð¨ ðš ð‚ð¥ð¨ð¬ðž.

Message from Avril Stanley, Founder, Body&Soul Festival

After 10 years as an independent festival, we have decided to step back from our presence and 16-year partnership with Electric Picnic so that we can refocus all of our attention to what the central idea behind Body&Soul is all about: creating an intimate and collaborative festival of the future; one that can embrace social change in a hugely positive way while celebrating an important and ancient Irish feast in our own unique, stand-alone style.

We want to work towards bringing back a fresh energy and perspective to Body&Soul at the Summer Solstice Festival in Ballinlough and for our new winter festival ÉRIU (December 2020).

We are adding a new sense of Purpose to our festival pillars of Sustainability, Wellbeing, Creativity, Culture and Family and we hope to focus all of our efforts in bringing something different to the landscape of Irish festivals into the next ten years.

The Body&Soul Family celebrates all the incredible and unforgettable moments in our first festival home and wishes the Electric Picnic every success in the future.

#raiseyourflag #Purpose2020”

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

esioal wrote: »
    Post on the Body and Soul Facebook page this morning :

After 10 years as an independent festival, we have decided to step back from our presence and 16-year partnership with Electric Picnic so that we can refocus all of our attention to what the central idea behind Body&Soul is all about: creating an intimate and collaborative festival of the future; one that can embrace social change in a hugely positive way while celebrating an important and ancient Irish feast in our own unique, stand-alone style.

That is really sad, as it was my favourite area for just chilling out. I guess EP promising a 'Mind and Body' area is them trying to continue the vibe in some way. I'm sure there is lot of politics behind the decision.

It will be a real watershed year, with 70,000 people and B&S gone, to see if the new EP is worth sticking with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭rubick

Just catching up on the thread.
    Can't believe EP are going to all this trouble for my 10th Picnic.
    So touched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Increase in scale and size if matched in improvement in the line up/facilities is to be welcomed.

If they make a bags of it the fest is finito - but they can make a bags of a 55K fest just as easy as 70k. Ultimately the jump from small to medium/large already achieved. Now theyre going from medium/large to large. This is good for the festival scene in Ireland. A proper belter of a large scale international event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

B&S leaving is a big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Kepler21 wrote: »
    That is really sad, as it was my favourite area for just chilling out. I guess EP promising a 'Mind and Body' area is them trying to continue the vibe in some way. I'm sure there is lot of politics behind the decision.

It will be a real watershed year, with 70,000 people and B&S gone, to see if the new EP is worth sticking with.

With EP expanding wonder will it drive people to ATN and other smaller festivals. Obviously it's commercially viable for them so they will continue to expand while they can.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Eod100 wrote: »
    With EP expanding wonder will it drive people to ATN and other smaller festivals. Obviously it's commercially viable for them so they will continue to expand while they can.

Well it hasn't sold out yet, as of 12.10, but that may change shortly. Increase to 70,000 tickets, sale before xmas, no lineup announced and B&S leaving are all blips, but I would still expect them to have shifted all the tickets by close of business today.

I'm going to wait and see if I can pick up a cheap or loyalty ticket on toutless the week of the festival, as I missed out in the loyalty sale this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Well look, most of us on here have our hats in the ring for next year's edition anyway. Body and Soul departing makes me want to weep, as did the departure of Other Voices last year. 70,000 bodies milling around Stradbally is also a scary thought. I'm only going the last 8 or 9 years, so I wasn't about for the halycon days of the mid to late noughties. I haven't been part of the whole wailing and gnashing of teeth about the Picnic's fall from grace since those early years. All I've ever experienced is bliss, happy times and wonderful music, the odd minor quibble notwithstanding. I'm under no illusions about Melvin's pursuit of filthy lucre but I believe it's in his interest to create the best festival he can. The changes last year were underdeveloped but promising. I'd still be pretty optimistic that they'll get this right. We'll know soon enough.

• Advertisement

Mind and Body sounds like a rip off of B&S.

Was just on tm to get installment tickets. Tickets not available.

I had to lash out the full price for 2 tickets, just before Christmas. Ouch!

This recent announcement though has me really questioning whether this is still the festival for us. No B&S and a 27% increase in capacity. I am not really feeling it tbh. Depending on the lineup, we might move these tickets on in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

From the Leinster Express:
    Commenting on the change Festival Republic MD, Melvin Benn said Body and Soul would be replaced.

“I am never one to stand still and I constantly strive to evolve the festival. In keeping with this philosophy, I’m excited to announce the creation of Mind & Body in the area previously hosting Body and Soul with the beloved Mindfield moving to a new home on the edge of this creative area,

"In addition to this, Jerry Fish and his wonderful Electric Sideshow will become the centre-piece of another new area in the festival: following on from last year’s extraordinary arrival of Freetown, FishTown will be born!

"FishTown will host the extravagance and creativity of the wonderful Jerry Fish, situated adjacent to Freetown you’ll be able to lose yourselves in the delights of this brand new area. Together with Picnic favourites Trailer Park, Trenchtown and Salty Dog, as well as the ever-important Greencraft Village and Global Green Eco Village, you’ll need to save your energy to witness everything that’s on offer," they said.

The organisers said the Mind & Body arena will be operated on renewably sourced energy.

So it confirms:
    1. Mind & Body will be where B&S was, and will include Mindfield. It will operate on renewably sourced energy.
    2. FishTown will be in the new Freetown area
    3. Trenchtown will still be around and is apparently a Picnic Favourite :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

they are on about increasing the main arena area
    which makes sense, it was jammed getting away from the main stage last year

what about the big tents? (EA, Rankins etc)
    more of them, larger?

more food stalls? more bars, toilets etc etc

its a big hike in capacity!
    mind you every time they've increased it in the past
    i cant say its had a big negative effect but this is a big change

Mind and Body sounds like a rip off of B&S.

Was just on tm to get installment tickets. Tickets not available.

I had to lash out the full price for 2 tickets, just before Christmas. Ouch!

This recent announcement though has me really questioning whether this is still the festival for us. No B&S and a 27% increase in capacity. I am not really feeling it tbh. Depending on the lineup, we might move these tickets on in the future.

To be fair, Pablo, you've had your doubts for a while now, as have many on here. You're not telling me you're not curious to see what this is going to look like? People yelling 'It's the new Oxegen!' are talking bollocks. While we all have our concerns about aspects of the festival, they know what they're doing. They don't just throw people in a field and let them at it. They've had a long time to look at what B and S do and how popular it is. I think they can make a good fist of replicating some of that atmosphere. And Jerry, God bless him, is finally getting liberated from that Godforsaken corner of ****e. He'll be like a kid on Christmas morning. Let's go glass half full for the moment.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,167 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ill be delighted to see jerry fish get a bigger tent, in an area not under attack from noise bleed from those DJ areas.

Freetown wasnt used to its full degree at all last year.

If gerry can create a kind of 'irish enclave' there of established and up and coming irish bands and shows, i think it could be very successful

Stillill42 wrote: »
    To be fair, Pablo, you've had your doubts for a while now, as have many on here. You're not telling me you're not curious to see what this is going to look like? People yelling 'It's the new Oxegen!' are talking bollocks. While we all have our concerns about aspects of the festival, they know what they're doing. They don't just throw people in a field and let them at it. They've had a long time to look at what B and S do and how popular it is. I think they can make a good fist of replicating some of that atmosphere. And Jerry, God bless him, is finally getting liberated from that Godforsaken corner of ****e. He'll be like a kid on Christmas morning. Let's go glass half full for the moment.

Sure I am the same every year and every year I go. Last year I was very skepitcal, and turned out to be an excellent w/e.

I am a bit surprised that B&S have lasted as long as they have. But the thing about B&S was they always curated great music particularly for their main stage. There was always the "looking forward to the B&S music announcement". Happy that Jerry Fish has a new place, long overdue.

An extra 15,000 is a lot... not just for the main arena, but for the campsites also.

We will wait and see.

Sure I am the same every year and every year I go. Last year I was very skepitcal, and turned out to be an excellent w/e.

I am a bit surprised that B&S have lasted as long as they have. But the thing about B&S was they always curated great music particularly for their main stage. There was always the "looking forward to the B&S music announcement". Happy that Jerry Fish has a new place, long overdue.

An extra 15,000 is a lot... not just for the main arena, but for the campsites also.

We will wait and see.

This, of course, is very true. We'll have to hope that they recognise that when sitting around the table plotting this years music. I wonder when they knew about the Body and Soul departure?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Well it hasn't sold out yet, as of 12.10, but that may change shortly. Increase to 70,000 tickets, sale before xmas, no lineup announced and B&S leaving are all blips, but I would still expect them to have shifted all the tickets by close of business today.

I'm going to wait and see if I can pick up a cheap or loyalty ticket on toutless the week of the festival, as I missed out in the loyalty sale this year!

Ah yeah, wouldn't expect it to sell out today or anything but probably by time festival comes around if not good bit earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

Body and soul in the same area will likely be very similar setup wise with the fire, seating areas and the sloping down stage.
    -But with new art and cool things to see and discover.
    In fairness it should/could be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Im actually gutted about body and soul. Theres been rumours here the last few years of posters saying they have heard it wont be back next year and ive always said nah no way, Body and soul is EP for me. im thinking of things like the amazing light installations that come with body and soul in that area.

I dont know what to think to be honest. As Stillill42 has well put it, time to be glass half full for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

I'd say itll sell out soon enough. If not before the lineup is announced then definitely not long after.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the whole thing.

We saw the first instance of a campsite across the Abbeyleix Road this year as Tour De Picnic were placed there - could we expect the Red Car Park fields to be converted to camping, or would that make them too close to housing? What's the acreage like further down the Abbeyleix Road as you head towards Stradbally? I didn't get a look round the new campsites much after the Thursday, were the new Wilde/Thunberg sites at capacity?

Agreed with the point that the extra revenue likely won't mean a mega-tier of headliners, but should fill out the undercard nicely. Techno fans rejoice; I can see Terminus opening until 4am now. What does it all mean for the Rave in the Woods though?

The one upside of the whole Body and Soul thing, Rubick, is that my very last musical memory of the place is you, with the tears streaming down your face as Lamb brought Gorecki to a close. A truly beautiful moment. Every cloud etc.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    The one upside of the whole Body and Soul thing, Rubick, is that my very last musical memory of the place is you, with the tears streaming down your face as Lamb brought Gorecki to a close. A truly beautiful moment. Every cloud etc.

This year was an absolute belter all round!

Had a juke on Ticketmaster there:

Installment Plan - Limited Availability

Weekend Camping - Low Availability

Sunday - Limited Availability

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Ignacius

I really enjoyed the festival last year. We got down early and got a nice spot in Joplin.
    I would say that there were lots of people camped beside toilets and chip vans. They had to be moved after. There was not the same fire and safety considerations . Where I was they had no fire row enforced. This could cause huge problems if there was a medical emergency or a fire. Also hard coming back after a night on the tear.
    With the increase in capacity there could be serious issues if they don’t sort this.
    They need to increase services massively to cope with that many people. The q for Kanum was huge.
    Hopefully they sort this and can’t complain about the people and the music. Hope they get a few big acts considering the massive increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I think what made B&S at the picnic aside from some of the frills was Infact the natural amphitheatre it had. That's going nowhere and I'm sure it will be put to good use. There had been rumours for years that b&s were becoming less and less comfortable with their presence in a festival that was changing in the opposite direction.

Not surprised and I laud their decision to be honest. I doubt EP are going to replace this "refuge in the midst of the madness" element of given the capacity is upped again.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭charlietully

Anyone who is upset at body and soul leaving just come a long to their festival in June. Nice wee warm up for you all for picnic and still get that body and soul magic.

I think EP2020 is sold out, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

i wonder if they will think about what happened last year
    at Body & Soul, remember KKC last year, they stopped people coming in
    it was jammers, add another 15k punters and youve problems
    I wonder may it actually disuade them from putting popular acts there
    theres only so many people that amphitheatre can take before
    you get human avalanches!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement